Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,739 members, 7,824,124 topics. Date: Friday, 10 May 2024 at 11:41 PM

Nigerians & The Hypocritical Culture Of 'thanksgiving' - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Nigerians & The Hypocritical Culture Of 'thanksgiving' (1004 Views)

Pope Francis - It's Better To Be Atheist Than To Be A Hypocritical Catholic / David Oyedepo In Akwa-Ibom For Udom's Thanksgiving (Photos) / The Secrets Of Thanksgiving (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Nigerians & The Hypocritical Culture Of 'thanksgiving' by Nobody: 12:10pm On Feb 11, 2015
1. You write exam with 'chukuli', you pass, and you have the temerity to go to church and share your 'success testimony' as the work of God....Thunder Fire you!!!

2. A Politician will steal ballot boxes, rig elections, short-circuit the judicial process and get declared the winner, the he goes to church for thanksgiving, saying his victory is the doing of God...

3. A rapper sings a song like "I fvck dem bitches, kick them hoes, weed & smoke" etc oya come collect award na, & the same musician will say "first of all, I just want to thank God for inspiration"...

4. You bribe Government officials to secure a contract/job at the expense of more qualified people, and you go to Church t say it is as a result of God's favor...Hell (fire) is real undecided

5. You sleep with your boss(es) to get promoted at work, then you go give testimony say God has blessed you with 'uncommon favour', and overlooked people more deserving of the promotion...Na Amadioha go judge you

6. You take ten years off your age, and get called up to play under-17 football competition (when you're almost 30yrs) and you say "it is God's grace are you saying God is the originator of "Football age"? undecided

7. You visit native doctors and all dem white garment churches, bathe in bar beach at 2a.m all in the name of looking for a Child. Finally, yo go church go give testimony say "God has finally done it"...You should be shot

Please feel free to add yours...
Re: Nigerians & The Hypocritical Culture Of 'thanksgiving' by mmsen: 12:17pm On Feb 11, 2015
That is the nature of religion.

People will behave dishonestly in order to achieve material gain (which the mythical Jesus eschewed) then thank their god.

Worse still, they will escape a tragedy that caused death/destruction to many around them and thank god.
Re: Nigerians & The Hypocritical Culture Of 'thanksgiving' by StPete: 12:32pm On Feb 11, 2015
It is good to Thank God for everything...in everything, give thanks

However, the OP is right in pointing out how unscrupulous we as Nigerians can be, using God's name in vain.
Re: Nigerians & The Hypocritical Culture Of 'thanksgiving' by Nobody: 2:35pm On Feb 11, 2015
mmsen:
That is the nature of religion.

People will behave dishonesty in order to achieve material gain (which the mythical Jesus eschewed) then thank their god.

Worse still they will escape a tragedy that causes death/destruction to many around them and thank god.

If na those days when God dey send instant judgment... grin
Re: Nigerians & The Hypocritical Culture Of 'thanksgiving' by Nobody: 2:38pm On Feb 11, 2015
StPete:
It is good to Thank God for everything...in everything, give thanks

However, the OP is right in pointing out how scrupulous we as Nigerians can be, using God's name in vain.

I'm sure you mean "Unscrupulous" wink

Besides, I don't think that "in everything, give thanks" applies in these kind of situations.

God cannot be mocked...
Re: Nigerians & The Hypocritical Culture Of 'thanksgiving' by AllNaijaBlogger(m): 2:39pm On Feb 11, 2015
It is sad tthat christianity in Nigeria has turned to this. However, there are still honest christians who do real thanksgiving.
Re: Nigerians & The Hypocritical Culture Of 'thanksgiving' by StPete: 2:48pm On Feb 11, 2015
TheRainmaker1:

I'm sure you mean "Unscrupulous" wink

Besides, I don't think that "in everything, give thanks" applies in these kind of situations.

God cannot be mocked...

Yes unscrupulous ...thanks
Re: Nigerians & The Hypocritical Culture Of 'thanksgiving' by Nobody: 2:49pm On Feb 11, 2015
AllNaijaBlogger:
It is sad tthat christianity in Nigeria has turned to this. However, there are still honest christians who do real thanksgiving.

Only a few my dear.

I just wish they'd all tell us the whole 'truth', rather than shades of it wink
Re: Nigerians & The Hypocritical Culture Of 'thanksgiving' by Nobody: 2:50pm On Feb 11, 2015
StPete:

Yes unscrupulous ...thanks

Hehehe..you're welcome

So how much will you pay for correcting your grammar?
I need money for thanksgiving wink
Re: Nigerians & The Hypocritical Culture Of 'thanksgiving' by StPete: 6:51pm On Feb 11, 2015
TheRainmaker1:

Hehehe..you're welcome

So how much will you pay for correcting your grammar?
I need money for thanksgiving wink

Do u accept cowries? wink
Re: Nigerians & The Hypocritical Culture Of 'thanksgiving' by TheIkoro(m): 9:04pm On Feb 11, 2015
TheRainmaker1:
1. You write exam with 'chukuli', you pass, and you have the temerity to go to church and share your 'success testimony' as the work of God....Thunder Fire you!!!

2. A Politician will steal ballot boxes, rig elections, short-circuit the judicial process and get declared the winner, the he goes to church for thanksgiving, saying his victory is the doing of God...

3. A rapper sings a song like "I fvck dem bitches, kick them hoes, weed & smoke" etc oya come collect award na, & the same musician will say "first of all, I just want to thank God for inspiration"...

4. You bribe Government officials to secure a contract/job at the expense of more qualified people, and you go to Church t say it is as a result of God's favor...Hell (fire) is real undecided

5. You sleep with your boss(es) to get promoted at work, then you go give testimony say God has blessed you with 'uncommon favour', and overlooked people more deserving of the promotion...Na Amadioha go judge you

6. You take ten years off your age, and get called up to play under-17 football competition (when you're almost 30yrs) and you say "it is God's grace are you saying God is the originator of "Football age"? undecided

7. You visit native doctors and all dem white garment churches, bathe in bar beach at 2a.m all in the name of looking for a Child. Finally, yo go church go give testimony say "God has finally done it"...You should be shot

Please feel free to add yours...

And unto that which thou hast given, I add:

The Ikore for The Adedotun they knew not would be The Ikoro.

Ikore: Adedotun Di Ikoro.

- Ikoro Iyineleda.
Re: Nigerians & The Hypocritical Culture Of 'thanksgiving' by Nobody: 11:03pm On Feb 11, 2015
TheIkoro:

And unto that which thou hast given, I add:

The Ikore for The Adedotun they knew not would be The Ikoro.

Ikore: Adedotun Di Ikoro.

- Ikoro Iyineleda.

What is this one saying

(1) (Reply)

Sallah Moon: What Happens If It Doesn't Appear Tonight? / The Kingdom Of Heaven: Unveiling The Mystery / Paying Tithe As A Student

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 22
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.