Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,009 members, 7,817,976 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 12:56 AM

New Helmet Rule In Lagos - Car Talk - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / New Helmet Rule In Lagos (15716 Views)

New FRSC Rule On Drivers License / Share Your Helmet Experiences Here! Whether Good Bad Or Ugly! / Helmet In Lagos: He Disappeared! (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply) (Go Down)

New Helmet Rule In Lagos by MOSS1(m): 4:40pm On Jan 03, 2009
Lagos state government now has a new rule that all motocyclists should start using helmets and also provide one for thier passengers, defaulters are to be prosecuted, Express your opinions and fears here!
Re: New Helmet Rule In Lagos by keyremotes(m): 5:10pm On Jan 03, 2009
[size=18pt]FRSC not Lagos state.

THIS IS VERY LAUDIBLE. [/size]

You need to see how Lagos looks with "okada" rider in their helmets.

NICE ONE THERE.
Re: New Helmet Rule In Lagos by Omolabi1: 6:18pm On Jan 03, 2009
Abuja effected okada outright ban, PH is set to be next. Should lagos follow suit? Express your opinion
Re: New Helmet Rule In Lagos by labiyemmy(m): 6:21pm On Jan 03, 2009
I am surprised for once that we see a few good policies here and there instead of the normal "government policy is bad" rant.
Re: New Helmet Rule In Lagos by Nobody: 6:47pm On Jan 03, 2009
Nothing wrong with helmets being made compulsory for cyclists.

I actually thought it was mandatory, even in Nigeria.
Re: New Helmet Rule In Lagos by leye1234(m): 9:07pm On Jan 03, 2009
as a passanger, make sure you carry your own helmet. otherwise your head might end up in someone's soup pot.
Re: New Helmet Rule In Lagos by keyremotes(m): 9:40pm On Jan 03, 2009
leye1234:

as a passanger, make sure you carry your own helmet. otherwise your head might end up in someone's soup pot.
It only makes hygienic sense to have a personal helmet.
It will soon become a "cool" thing to have "carry" one.
Re: New Helmet Rule In Lagos by AKO1(m): 9:55pm On Jan 03, 2009
The people that made this law didn't think the hygienic implications through abi? angry So if someone that has yeye bumps on his head wears the helmet I must follow and wear that helmet abi? tongue

keyremotes:

Forget that one jo! Na shower cap me I dey consider! grin grin tongue
Siena:

I actually thought it was mandatory, even in Nigeria.
They've actually tried to enforce it before, let's see how this goes.
Re: New Helmet Rule In Lagos by dnative(m): 10:01pm On Jan 03, 2009
leye1234:

keyremotes:

Don't think the original poster meant it that way. Trust naija factor to come in soon.

"1 kidnapped after wearing charmed helmet"
" Man taken to secret hideout and robbed after wearing 'suspect' okada passenger helmet"
,  the list could go on and on.

The head is deemed as a sacred part of the body in some parts of Nigeria (at least in Yorubaland where folkore equates it to a 'god', 'destiny' etc) and makes it a focus target for 'spiritual attacks'.

But should superstitious beliefs stop government from going ahead with this law, I don't suppose so. But I guess passengers in naija would be sharp enough to 'shine their eyes', there are abundant unscrupulous elements amongst us out there always willing to take advantage for a quick buck.

Anyhow it is a welcome development. It has been tried and tested in cross river state with no issues.
Re: New Helmet Rule In Lagos by Alikwe(f): 10:16pm On Jan 03, 2009
It makes it safe for both rider and driver. But ma fears are the risk of people been used for ritual. But just keep praying
tongue

Re: New Helmet Rule In Lagos by topeorekoy(m): 10:24pm On Jan 03, 2009
leye1234:

its not easy like that. so if am a female cladded in my big gele,my small purse how will i carry my helmet?
Re: New Helmet Rule In Lagos by sojioguns(m): 10:36pm On Jan 03, 2009
Oh my goodness. Why are Nigerians so superstitious? I am more worried about hygiene issues that my head falling into someone's pot. WHAT YOU BELIEVE IN IS WHAT WILL WORK FOR YOU!
Anyway, I think the cause of the Okada explosion in the first place has always been the govt. If the roads were good enough for cars/buses or if the traffic was not that bad, then there won't be too many Okadas on the road. Another thing is I really don't see the engineers' helmet the okada riders use as helmets act as protective gear in the event of an accident.
I guess we need to find out who in govt. is actually importing helmets and forcing the poor okada hustlers to buy overpriced plastic.
Re: New Helmet Rule In Lagos by fireangels(f): 10:49pm On Jan 03, 2009
nna
aw do i import helmets into the country

Lagos was looking so strange today
grin grin grin
Re: New Helmet Rule In Lagos by keyremotes(m): 10:52pm On Jan 03, 2009
sojioguns:

Oh my goodness. Why are Nigerians so superstitious? I am more worried about hygiene issues that my head falling into someone's pot. WHAT YOU BELIEVE IN IS WHAT WILL WORK FOR YOU!
Anyway, I think the cause of the Okada explosion in the first place has always been the govt. If the roads were good enough for cars/buses or if the traffic was not that bad, then there won't be too many Okadas on the road. Another thing is I really don't see the engineers' helmet the okada riders use as helmets act as protective gear in the event of an accident.
I guess we need to find out who in govt. is actually importing helmets and forcing the poor okada hustlers to buy overpriced plastic.

The day we stop bothering about who is importing what Nigeria will be better off. What we should be more important to us is the SAFETY idea behind it.

My take on all this is IF YOU MUST RIDE ON AN OKADA AND DO NOT WANT TO USE THE RIDERS HELMET OUT OF FEAR OF BEING KIDNAPPED OR CONTACTING BUMPS, BUY YOURS.

SIMPLE.

"But should superstitious beliefs stop government from going ahead with this law, I don't suppose so"

I AGREE WITH dinative ON THIS.

Just like the BRT issue, LET US BELIEVE THIS WILL WORK THIS TIME AROUND.
Re: New Helmet Rule In Lagos by tpia: 11:01pm On Jan 03, 2009
Re: New Helmet Rule In Lagos by charlisco(m): 11:05pm On Jan 03, 2009
Here in warri, if you are caught without an helmet police will charge you a penality fee of N4000 each (pessenger and the rider) wen i ask the okada man how much dey bought their helmet he said the cost was N200

i will try and bring to you a photo of how the new change of okada rider
Re: New Helmet Rule In Lagos by keyremotes(m): 11:08pm On Jan 03, 2009
charlisco:

Here in warri, if you are caught without an helmet police will charge you a penality fee of N4000 each (pessenger and the rider) when i ask the okada man how much dey bought their helmet he said the cost was N200

i will try and bring to you a photo of how the new change of okada rider

[size=14pt]THANK YOU MY BROTHER[/size]
Re: New Helmet Rule In Lagos by topkin(m): 11:17pm On Jan 03, 2009
Trust me, it's a welcome development. Ever been involved in/witnessed an Okada accident? The passenger is ALWAYS at the receiving end. It's a GOOD thing.
Re: New Helmet Rule In Lagos by sunboy(m): 12:23am On Jan 04, 2009
Tah who tell you 200 naira for an helmet? I asked an okada man who just bought his and he said its 5k for each.
Re: New Helmet Rule In Lagos by Nobody: 1:39am On Jan 04, 2009
One thing I do know, I wouldn't get onto a bike without adequate head protection.

I can't believe people are against this!
Some worried about witchcraft, some about hygiene, some about their head ties?!

All the above pale into insignificance if you come off a bike, and land head first.

If you're worried about hygiene, then carry a shower cap, wear it before putting on a helmet.
Or as Keyremotes said, buy one of your own!

I can't see how something that's meant to keep you safe can become such a big issue.
Re: New Helmet Rule In Lagos by hubreality(m): 3:09am On Jan 04, 2009
It's good and safe wearing helmet by the okada rider and the passenger. Many at times i use okada to beat traffic holdups associated with Lagos roads . I'm buying a personal designer helmet soonest next week joo.
Re: New Helmet Rule In Lagos by spoilt(f): 3:22am On Jan 04, 2009
Didnt they try this before and after a few months true to type everyone abandoned it and went back to their old ways?
Re: New Helmet Rule In Lagos by lawyer(m): 3:30am On Jan 04, 2009
I am suprised people are jumping at this stupid law without considering the health implications of this policy. Nigeria is a perculiar country and it cannot be even compared to india, bangladesh or thailand where you have a lot of motor cycles running around supported by rick shaws. Nigeria practically made Okada riding an Art. 85% of the Okada riders are peasants or people living below the poverty level with very very low of hygenie. Now Okada rider would have his own personal Helmet which isnt a problem because he wont share it with any one, but what about a daily routine that starts at 5am when the "ELERAN GUY" is going to deliver the first batch of meat with blood soaked hands and sweat and passes the same Helmet to the "Eleja", who passes it to the Mechanic and by 7am the fine marketer who works for probably Zenith bank with all her hair made up to wow her clients, share this same helmet.

Imagine how many people with dubious hygenic issues will wear this same helmet all day from conductor to those spitting Mallams for a whole week.

After one week, there would be a rising case of guniea worm, lice infection, ezcema, ring worm, lapa lapa and a host of horrible diseases that no one is ready to even dream about. Who cares if you are financially okay to solve the medical issue? Probably next week, you would be visiting your doctor again to treat you for another disease passed unto you by a vulcanizer in Ajegunle.

This is a government complaining that it doesnt have the funds to fund the health sector properly. Now it has decided to trigger of a time bomb of health issues. Listening to the arguments of the FRSC, is so lame and strawman in it approach. They argue that it is to protect the safety of the passenger against head injuries and accidents, but on a cursory look, we realise that most Okada injuries arent caused only through head injuries but through broken legs, injured elbows, scratches and wounds through your back or belly or exhaust pipe wounds close to your feet.

Nobody is hearing anything about buying shin guards to protect the knees or elbow. What about families that rely on Okada to take their kids around? I have seen a family of 5 on an okada before. Father, mother, 2 children and a baby child. Is the baby not also entitled to wear a helmet too? Are the 2 little children not entitled to wear Helmets too?

What about school children? Both dirty and clean ones. The dirty boys play footbal all day in school with dusty feets and sweaty clothes and still use these same okada and helmet that an oil worker in chevron would still use to get home!

What manner of intelligence is this? Can the Nigerian Nation survive an impending Health epidermic when we are even struggling to keep in check the health problems that confront us?

Also this nonsense of talk of buying your own personal helmet and carrying it around as a fashion fad is ludicrious to say the least? When women have weddings, they should carry their helmets and the present together and wear the Helmet ontop of the gele? Bankers should carry helmet around when marketing to the offices of clients as if they are pizza delievery boys? Students Should carry their bags and helmet to school together because it is an extra curricular activity?

What if you go to work with your own helmet and it gets stolen? who will share Helmet with you? You are stuck with the Lapa Lapa infested Helmet that you will involuntarily pass to your family members and your family members can be so kind to share with you the lastest bout of ring worm that they recieved from shukura the garbage man?

I am scared of Nigeria now!
Re: New Helmet Rule In Lagos by Nobody: 3:46am On Jan 04, 2009
^^^ Points taken.

But I wouldn't call it a stupid law - broken legs seldom kill, unless the person bleeds to death.
On the other hand, a smashed head will kill.

Since Nigeria chose to allow cycles to be used for commercial purposes, they should deal with making them safe!
I hear some states have placed a ban on taxi cycles, and I believe that's the way forward
It's not compulsory to use pay to use a bike as a taxi, but should you choose to do so, it's up to you to protect yourself.

I would not pay to ride on a bike, period.
Re: New Helmet Rule In Lagos by Nobody: 4:10am On Jan 04, 2009
Sadly, this is the story of our fatherland - a good initiative but it would take a miracle to execute and achieve the purpose for which it is intended (hopefully it's not because somebody wants the contract to supply the helmets to the Okada drivers).
Re: New Helmet Rule In Lagos by redsun(m): 5:06am On Jan 04, 2009
Common sense is your birth right,it makes it safe and there is no other way.
Re: New Helmet Rule In Lagos by honeric01(m): 5:30am On Jan 04, 2009
Complainers, nothing is good enough for Nigerians
Re: New Helmet Rule In Lagos by Nobody: 7:01am On Jan 04, 2009
while the rule is laudable, as usual , frsc officers are bent on making as much money out of it as possible. you should have seen them descending on okada riders yesterday, and the way they were chasing them, grabbing moving motorcycles. they are probably going to cause more than a few accidents angry
Re: New Helmet Rule In Lagos by TOYOSI20(f): 7:27am On Jan 04, 2009
LOL!!!!!!!!!!!!

Hopefully they have enough for all their passangers though. . . . embarassed
Re: New Helmet Rule In Lagos by dreday(m): 7:32am On Jan 04, 2009
Good idea,but a potential health hazard.No way i'm sharing a helmet with half of Lagos.Besides,those things they wear wont protect them from s, t.They're not built 4 motorcycles.
Re: New Helmet Rule In Lagos by igwe11(m): 7:36am On Jan 04, 2009
This a welcome development but, my question is; when a passenger refuses to put his on or decided to remove it at the middle of the journey out of inconvenience.
Who bears the consequence?
Re: New Helmet Rule In Lagos by Nobody: 10:12am On Jan 04, 2009
@Igwe 1

The OKADA MAN bears the consequences grin LAGOS NA WA

Nothing consine LASMA abi na FRSC ni, dem go carry OKADA MAN ni, cheesy

LAGOS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! ANOTHER WORLD!!

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply)

How God Saved Me From A Car Fire Incident. Lessons And Tips. / Car Caught Fire In Awka, Near Central Bank By 6:12pm Today / What Documents Should Be Requested When Taking Ownership Of A Locally Used Car

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 51
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.