Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,963 members, 7,817,837 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 08:48 PM

Share Your Helmet Experiences Here! Whether Good Bad Or Ugly! - Car Talk - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / Share Your Helmet Experiences Here! Whether Good Bad Or Ugly! (3183 Views)

Vent Your Daily Road/traffic Frustrations And Experiences Here / Helmet In Lagos: He Disappeared! / New Helmet Rule In Lagos (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Share Your Helmet Experiences Here! Whether Good Bad Or Ugly! by Emperoh(m): 8:02am On Apr 27, 2009
Since the introduction of the Helmet since the beginning of this year
it has been welcome with mixed reactions. This phenomenon is a standard requirement to ride a motor bike in developed countries.
But as e be say e enter Naija, we carry our own social wahala follow.

Some cite traditional taboo on sharing the same head gear with another person as reason not to wear one. Even in the old, before corruption defined Naija, popsy been tell say if you buy okadasay the seller must include TWO helmet with am. But una go tell me how many Okada dey even come with brake light!!

So people, lets share your Okada helmet experience!!!

My own be say i don use one confy helmet shocked shocked finish come forget to give am back to the okada man
Na so i carry am dey enter bank for Festac if no be for security wey alert me, people don already dey shoot me eye dey laugh!!

So people lets share your experience; from people wey dem bad luck vamoose with the Helmet to those wey craw enter them head
as them wear helmet finish!! Just share it anyhow!!
Re: Share Your Helmet Experiences Here! Whether Good Bad Or Ugly! by Nobody: 8:14am On Apr 27, 2009
good to save lives .
Re: Share Your Helmet Experiences Here! Whether Good Bad Or Ugly! by Nobody: 10:24am On Apr 27, 2009
Never used one. . .

But as I said in early threads, if you're worried about the hygiene implications (valid) from sharing a real crash helmet, then buy your own, if you wish to use taxi bikes.

As for the superstition, that your head will "end up in a pot", absolute rubbish.
Any reason not to comply with the law, Nigerians will take it.
Re: Share Your Helmet Experiences Here! Whether Good Bad Or Ugly! by JAZES(m): 4:15pm On Apr 27, 2009
@poster,
The same thing happened to me; as in forget say helmet dey my head come carry helmet dey go till the okada man called me back. grin grin grin
Re: Share Your Helmet Experiences Here! Whether Good Bad Or Ugly! by biggjoe(m): 4:49pm On Apr 27, 2009
have anyone here considered the possibility of contracting HIV through OKADA?  grin

Dont shout yet, its possible though very remote possibility.

I have to go for HIV test weeks after being on an Okada on which the okada man wont stop shedding TEARS!

He wasnt crying but I guess the high speed and no protection from direct wind impact was the reason for the tears.

I know for sure I swallowed some of those tears and much more entered my own eyes.

Wouldnt that be enough to contract AIDS in some case?

I mean tears is bodyfluid and we all know HIV lives there. grin
Re: Share Your Helmet Experiences Here! Whether Good Bad Or Ugly! by opensource(m): 5:00pm On Apr 27, 2009
If you stay and work in places like Victoria Island where the rule is 100% enforced , then you will already be either used to it or have your own helmet.
Re: Share Your Helmet Experiences Here! Whether Good Bad Or Ugly! by Igwe9(m): 5:48pm On Apr 27, 2009
I have not worn any since okadas are banned inside the federal capital territory, smiley but still disagree on the issue of contracting HIV from tears, BTW, do you have to open your mouth for the tears to enter cheesy cheesy
Re: Share Your Helmet Experiences Here! Whether Good Bad Or Ugly! by librangyps(f): 6:45pm On Apr 27, 2009
grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin
@ igwe, abi ohhh, me too i wonder
Re: Share Your Helmet Experiences Here! Whether Good Bad Or Ugly! by Nobody: 7:35pm On Apr 27, 2009
the funniest thing about the construction helmets out there is that when the inner plastic gets lost
those mad okada guys will drill holes on the 2 ends and tie a woolen rope through
and they expect u to use what now looks like a calabash.

Nigeria has a problem enforcing laws.
Re: Share Your Helmet Experiences Here! Whether Good Bad Or Ugly! by tkb417(m): 7:55pm On Apr 27, 2009
Never used one. . .

[b]But as I said in early threads, if you're worried about the hygiene implications (valid) from sharing a real crash helmet, then buy your own, if you wish to use taxi bikes.

As for the superstition, that your head will "end up in a pot", absolute rubbish.
Any reason not to comply with the law, Nigerians will take i[/b]t.
this is not what we are discussing here bro.

share ur experience or leave others to do so.
simple

Since the introduction of the Helmet since the beginning of this year
it has been welcome with mixed reactions. This phenomenon is a standard requirement to ride a motor bike in developed countries.
But as e be say e enter Naija, we carry our own social wahala follow.

Some cite traditional taboo on sharing the same head gear with another person as reason not to wear one. Even in the old, before corruption defined Naija, popsy been tell say if you buy okadasay the seller must include TWO helmet with am. But una go tell me how many Okada dey even come with brake light!!

So people, lets share your Okada helmet experience!!!

My own be say i don use one confy helmet finish come forget to give am back to the okada man
Na so i carry am dey enter bank for Festac if no be for security wey alert me, people don already dey shoot me eye dey laugh
!!

So people lets share your experience; from people wey dem bad luck vamoose with the Helmet to those wey craw enter them head
as them wear helmet finish!! Just share it anyhow!!
heheheheehehe
u go kill me with laffter. that means na correct helmet be dat grin grin
chei! Emperoh
Re: Share Your Helmet Experiences Here! Whether Good Bad Or Ugly! by Nobody: 8:20pm On Apr 27, 2009
^^^ Tkb, all discussion on helmets fit the bill perfectly.

Unless you're saying every post so far has been about people's experiences wearing the damn thing?
Re: Share Your Helmet Experiences Here! Whether Good Bad Or Ugly! by tkb417(m): 8:26pm On Apr 27, 2009
^^^ Tkb, all discussion on helmets fit the bill perfectly.

Unless you're saying every post so far has been about people's experiences wearing the damn thing?
but urs isnt an experience na
u only want to start ur campaign for the use of helmet. innit
im beginning to think ure one of the assigned importers of Helmet to Lagos grin
just kidding.
Re: Share Your Helmet Experiences Here! Whether Good Bad Or Ugly! by sholasys: 10:17pm On Apr 27, 2009
Different state with dif experience. In Akwa Ibom some Okada cultist are using it to charm unsuspected passengers. The helmet have been dibolically charmed and rubed with concursion such that after putting it on you will jst loose your conciousness and they will easily drove you away for rituals. The mostly target ladies. A lot of case have been reported concerninng this. God saved a neighbor of mine. You will have to call the blood of Jesus before using it on your head

In up North it was a mocry of the law. Okada riders are using plastic custard container as the helmet. some are using all paint plastic containers as the helmet. Men It is funny
Re: Share Your Helmet Experiences Here! Whether Good Bad Or Ugly! by DKNYtruth(m): 10:24pm On Apr 27, 2009
Emperoh:

IT'S SAD THAT THESE HELMETS HAD TO BE SHARED; MOST IMPORTANTLY, IT'S NOT IDEAL HEALTH-WISE, WHO KNOWS HOW THE OUTBREAK IN MEXICO STARTED, IT'S ALL BECAUSE OF ALL THESE OVERSIGHT.

HELMET IS NOT MEANT TO BE SHARED, OYINBO MAN MADE IT FOR JUST EACH INDIVIDUAL RIDING; AND SINCE WE HAVE MADE THIS ONE OF OUR MEANS OF TRANSPORTATION
(NOT A BAD IDEA THAT IT WAS SCRAPPED IN SOME STATES), IT'S ADVISABLE THAT YOU PUT ON SOME CAP OR SCARF THAT COULD PROTECT YOU IF YOU NEED TO EMPLOY THIS MEANS OF TRANSPORTATION OR ELSE WE'LL BE TALKING ABOUT SOME EPIDEMIC BRAKE-OUT IN NIGERIA SOONEST IF THIS IS NOT TAKING INTO CONSIDERATION.

IT'S UNFORTUNATE THAT IN NIGERIA OF TODAY AND FEW YEARS BACK, HEALTHCARE IS NOT A RIGHT BUT A PRIVILEDGE AS DEFINED BY OBVIOUS/REAL CIRCUMSTANCES WE DAILY FACE! GOD HELP US!!!
Re: Share Your Helmet Experiences Here! Whether Good Bad Or Ugly! by DKNYtruth(m): 10:26pm On Apr 27, 2009
sholasys:

Different state with dif experience. In Akwa Ibom some Okada cultist are using it to charm unsuspected passengers. The helmet have been dibolically charmed and rubed with concursion such that after putting it on you will jst loose your conciousness and they will easily drove you away for rituals. The mostly target ladies. A lot of case have been reported concerninng this. God saved a neighbor of mine. You will have to call the blood of Jesus before using it on your head

In up North it was a mocry of the law. Okada riders are using plastic custard container as the helmet. some are using all paint plastic containers as the helmet. Men It is funny

THAT'S ONE OF THE REASON WE'RE THIRD WORLD, IMAGINE SUCH NONSENSE AND INDULGENCE!!! HWAT SORT OF PEOPLE LIVE IN HIS COUNTRY SELF!!!
Re: Share Your Helmet Experiences Here! Whether Good Bad Or Ugly! by DKNYtruth(m): 10:29pm On Apr 27, 2009
DKNY_truth:

THAT'S ONE OF THE REASON WE'RE THIRD WORLD, IMAGINE SUCH NONSENSE AND INDULGENCE!!! HWAT SORT OF PEOPLE LIVE IN HIS COUNTRY SELF!!!

IT'S BABARIC![b][/b]
Re: Share Your Helmet Experiences Here! Whether Good Bad Or Ugly! by Emperoh(m): 10:31pm On Apr 27, 2009
Tk
No see oh!!
My own is that the quality of the helmets should be scrutinized!!
Some of them will even aid injury in the event of an accident.

There is no way construction helmet will pass as a crash helmet
Heck your brain will splatter all over the place if you are unfortunate to have a crash wearing it
Pls road safety should begin a crack down on these dubious looking helmets.
I am better off not wearing them than giving my skull my reasons to crack in the event of a crash!!
Re: Share Your Helmet Experiences Here! Whether Good Bad Or Ugly! by debosky(m): 10:32pm On Apr 27, 2009
DKNY_truth:

IT'S SAD THAT THESE HELMETS HAD TO BE SHARED; MOST IMPORTANTLY, IT'S NOT IDEAL HEALTH-WISE, WHO KNOWS HOW THE OUTBREAK IN MEXICO STARTED, IT'S ALL BECAUSE OF ALL THESE OVERSIGHT.

HELMET IS NOT MEANT TO BE SHARED, OYINBO MAN MADE IT FOR JUST EACH INDIVIDUAL RIDING; AND SINCE WE HAVE MADE THIS ONE OF OUR MEANS OF TRANSPORTATION
(NOT A BAD IDEA THAT IT WAS SCRAPPED IN SOME STATES), IT'S ADVISABLE THAT YOU PUT ON SOME CAP OR SCARF THAT COULD PROTECT YOU IF YOU NEED TO EMPLOY THIS MEANS OF TRANSPORTATION OR ELSE WE'LL BE TALKING ABOUT SOME EPIDEMIC BRAKE-OUT IN NIGERIA SOONEST IF THIS IS NOT TAKING INTO CONSIDERATION.

IT'S UNFORTUNATE THAT IN NIGERIA OF TODAY AND FEW YEARS BACK, HEALTHCARE IS NOT A RIGHT BUT A PRIVILEDGE AS DEFINED BY OBVIOUS/REAL CIRCUMSTANCES WE DAILY FACE! GOD HELP US!!!

Cool your jets man! Helmets will not cause anything 'endemic'. People already sit in crowded buses coughing, sneezing and wiping their hands all over the seats and vehicles from day to day all over Nigeria without anything endemic happening. If you haven't been infected by all these by now, why will helmets cause so much ruckus?

The only things I think can spread are head lice and lapalapa (ringworm)  cheesy grin grin
Re: Share Your Helmet Experiences Here! Whether Good Bad Or Ugly! by DKNYtruth(m): 10:39pm On Apr 27, 2009
debosky:

Cool your jets man! Helmets will not cause anything 'endemic'. People already sit in crowded buses coughing, sneezing and wiping their hands all over the seats and vehicles from day to day all over Nigeria without anything endemic happening. If you haven't been infected by all these by now, why will helmets cause so much ruckus?

The only things I think can spread are head lice and lapalapa (ringworm)  cheesy grin grin

K, GOOD LUCK THEN,

BUT LET ME REMIND YOU, THIS IS NOT THE THEN "STONE AGE" OR "NIGERIA OF THEN"; OUTBREAK IS ON THE ALARM EVERYWHERE, TAKE IT OR LEAVE IT,

SOMETIMES WHEN SOMEONE JUST DROP EITHER AT HOME, ON THE ROAD, IN THE BUS OR IN THEIR CAR WITH NO PHYSICAL TRACE OF ILLNESS; THE NEXT THING IS "AYE", I THINK IT'S TIME WE WAKE UP TO THE REALITY OF "THE WORLD WE NOW LIVE IN" EVERY SIMPLE CHECK UP MATTERS, TAKE IT OTR LEAVE IT, LET'S NO MORE LIVE OUR LIVES IN DENIAL OF THESE FACTS THAT ARE TRUE TO OUR FACE!!! YOU'LL DO WELL TO ASK INTO THESE RESEARCH,
Re: Share Your Helmet Experiences Here! Whether Good Bad Or Ugly! by tkb417(m): 7:45am On Apr 28, 2009

The only things I think can spread are head lice and lapalapa (ringworm)

shocked shocked grin grin grin grin
This Debo no go kill me
e don tey wey i hear that thing. boi, that lapalapa disgraced me for secondary school
chei!!!!!!!!! grin grin grin

i dey gbadun this thread

Emperoh
Helmet for me? NOO grin
ill just use my legs if there are no taxis.
Re: Share Your Helmet Experiences Here! Whether Good Bad Or Ugly! by Emperoh(m): 7:57am On Apr 28, 2009
tkb417:

Emperoh
Helmet for me? NOO grin
ill just use my legs if there are no taxis.
O boy, i dey do bike wella!!
Most times i am too impatient to stand the traffic
I go just jump bike!!
If you give me a good helmet, i go wear am with my hankerchief
But if na all those 'o so Chi egbu' Helmets, i go hold am for hand
One Road Safety offical don stop me before for Festac come dey ak me why i no wear my Helmet
I comot the Helmet show am come ask am say if i get accident, whether the helmet go save me or 'woundjure' me? grin
The guy tear laugh!!
As long as its a good Helmet, i go wear but if na all these 'follow God kill Helmet', i no dey ooh!!

Debo
After every bike ride, use dettol, izal, harpic etc cool shocked shocked
and wash your hair; like that you no get crawcraw, lapalapa, lice etc grin grin grin
Re: Share Your Helmet Experiences Here! Whether Good Bad Or Ugly! by Olumide7(m): 8:30am On Apr 28, 2009
Emperoh:

I go just jump bike!!
One Road Safety offical don stop me before for Festac come dey ak me why i no wear my Helmet
I comot the Helmet show am come ask am say if i get accident, whether the helmet go save me or 'woundjure' me? grin
The guy tear laugh!!
As long as its a good Helmet, i go wear but if na all these 'follow God kill Helmet', i no dey ooh!!

Debo
After every bike ride, use dettol, izal, harpic etc cool shocked shocked
and wash your hair; like that you no get crawcraw, lapalapa, lice etc grin grin grin

Or better still wash your head with the blood of Jesus. grin
Re: Share Your Helmet Experiences Here! Whether Good Bad Or Ugly! by Nobody: 9:00am On Apr 28, 2009
^^^ Or better still, buy your own helmet, and comply!
Re: Share Your Helmet Experiences Here! Whether Good Bad Or Ugly! by philip0906(m): 9:44am On Apr 28, 2009
@Emperoh
I go just jump bike!!
I comot the Helmet show am come ask am say if i get accident, whether the helmet go save me or 'woundjure' me?
The guy tear laugh!!

Debo
After every bike ride, use dettol, izal, harpic etc
and wash your hair; like that you no get crawcraw, lapalapa, lice etc

grin grin grin
Re: Share Your Helmet Experiences Here! Whether Good Bad Or Ugly! by solosimple(m): 10:09am On Apr 28, 2009
You guys are damn too funny. Can't stop laughing!
Re: Share Your Helmet Experiences Here! Whether Good Bad Or Ugly! by oyindaries: 2:02pm On Apr 28, 2009
some funny stuff on this thread, cant believe it ,how is it possible to get hiv with an helmet
Re: Share Your Helmet Experiences Here! Whether Good Bad Or Ugly! by femi4love(m): 3:28pm On Apr 28, 2009
Without any doubt, this is the funniest thread I've ever seen. My ribs are aching as a result of laughter. grin
Re: Share Your Helmet Experiences Here! Whether Good Bad Or Ugly! by segzicres(m): 11:25am On Apr 29, 2009
i've even gone into munches restaurant with an helmet on, the attendant was like " sorry we don't need any staffs at the moment, come back yesterday". men!!! i was really embarrassed.
Re: Share Your Helmet Experiences Here! Whether Good Bad Or Ugly! by zaliya(f): 1:02pm On Apr 29, 2009
I once took a bike on the Island, wore the helmet, forgot to give it back to the 'aboki' guy after paying. Next thing I started hearing shouts of 'MY CLEMENT, MY CLEMENT'. Funny enough, the guy was actually shouting for his helmet but was calling it 'CLEMENT'
Re: Share Your Helmet Experiences Here! Whether Good Bad Or Ugly! by zaliya(f): 1:12pm On Apr 29, 2009
how far

Re: Share Your Helmet Experiences Here! Whether Good Bad Or Ugly! by Igwe9(m): 4:53pm On Apr 29, 2009
This picture again you guys can do better than this naa! cool
Re: Share Your Helmet Experiences Here! Whether Good Bad Or Ugly! by SapeleGuy: 9:01pm On Apr 29, 2009
Some of you have dismissed the "jazz/juju" factor as mere superstition. I have a question for you:
Honest answers please - Staunch atheist/christians/moslems that you are, would you wear a helmet that has been 'jazzed'?
Before you answer try and figure out how all those human body parts ended up in jankara market in lagos.

You may not believe but others do and if those others catch you,

(1) (2) (Reply)

Reconstructed Exhaust Muffler, How Safe? / A Review Of Some Of The Cool Cars I Drove Lately....mercedes Benz C300. (Part 2) / 2004 Ford Explorer Won't Start And Anti Theft Light Blinks

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 63
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.