Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,544 members, 7,819,932 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 07:01 AM

Muslim Writers Must Focus On Issues – Abu Umar Al-faruq - Islam for Muslims - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Islam for Muslims / Muslim Writers Must Focus On Issues – Abu Umar Al-faruq (1268 Views)

Why Was Ali's Compilation Of Quran Rejected And Abu Bakr And Umar Accepted?. / Umar Ibn Al-khattab: His Contributions In The Battles Of Islam / Benefits Of Reciting Surah Al Kahf On Friday (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

Muslim Writers Must Focus On Issues – Abu Umar Al-faruq by nect: 1:45pm On Feb 12, 2015
In this interview with Ustaz AbdurRazaq Adegboyega AbdusSalam fondly called Abu Baba or Abu Umar Al-Faruq, shared his experience at Voice of Nigeria (VON), his travels, the state of Islam in Nigeria and the world today with Kolawole Azeez, the Editor, Muslim Connect. He also makes his point on the political currents in Nigeria and the required expectations of the Muslims. The excerpts:

How has your experience been like working with Voice of Nigeria (VON) as a stand-out Muslim? What are your challenges in this regard?

It is an interesting as well as a challenging part of my life. I joined VON in 1992. In the Department, we were about eighteen in the office and there were only two Muslims. The second person soon left, leaving me alone. I was left alone and it was not easy. However, we have learnt as Muslims to live with Non-Muslims. They were my colleagues and for so many of them we became like friends doing so many things together to enhance the job and our profession.

A few factors stood for me. One was professional competence, ability to work under pressure and the other was personal morality. Alhamdulillah.

You wrote a book, Living with others bi Salaam (with peace). Does this have a bearing on the work or vice versa?

The book had little bearing to my workplace. It was a product of my experience serving in various Muslim organisations, especially the MSSN where, needlessly, brothers became sworn enemies. My experience and reflections led to the book which, many say, has come to define me.

As one who has travelled far and wide, can you lead us into the state of Islam and the condition of the Muslims?

Indeed I visited a few countries and met Muslims. In Bahamas, I did not see a single Muslim indigene and was only able to locate a Mosque after a long sojourn. It was the same in Vietnam, Indonesia, Malaysia and a few other Asian countries that I visited. The condition of Islam and Muslims is similar to what obtains in Nigeria in matter of disunity, innovation and political participation. What is only different in those countries is the obvious population of Muslims, yet secularism holds sway in most cases.

What is your take on the Boko Haram insurgency in Nigeria?

On the issue of Boko Haram, my position is that it represents the sign of mismanagement at government and religious levels. Indeed, Boko Haram does not represent Islam but they are mostly Muslims. Why are our children so gullible and so easily recruited for vices? We failed as parents and religious leaders in that regard. The problems of injustice, inequality, neglect and abuses are the way government help to fuel and fund Boko Haram, that on one angle. A second angle to it is the inability of our soldiers to root the miscreants. The same army that salvaged Liberia which was already shattered and saved Sierra Leone from coup cannot save its own country. It is an irony. The fact the arms and ammunition meant for our soldiers end up in the hand of the insurgents and the sudden wealth of some military generals tells us there are a lot of undercurrents.

Muslims are often tagged terrorists. What informed this development?

That Muslims being tagged terrorists is a stereotype, the problem of generalisation and propaganda. It is age long and it will take a long walk and talk to correct it. It is not same with other religions.

The fast-approaching general elections in Nigeria, what should be the position of the Muslims?

The coming election is a litmus test for Nigeria in many respects. The important aspect is for us all to become concerned about the future of the country. We must not abandon our future to people who only reason about feeding the stomach momentarily. We must seek a permanent change that can never be reversed. We must treasure our vote and give it to the candidate that will best protect it.

You are a writer of notable standing. But you have not been churning out works recently like before?

I have five books in the making and at different stages. My task as SA to DG actually affected me. I wrote four books for VON but none has been published yet. I am looking for funds to produce the other two. So before the end of the year I expect most of the books ready for the market in shaa Allah.

How do you cope with work, writing, travelling, family, dawah and private life?

Coping with them all is a function of time management. The ICT world has also made things very easy for me. I can put my ideas on my iPad while traveling long distance, read Qur'an on iPad during such travels and surf the Net as well. I can also do official assignments while on the road using available ICT facilities.

Shouldn't there be an Association of Nigerian Muslim Authors (ANMA) as we do have ANA, for fresh and experienced Muslim authors?

As for Association of Muslim authors, it can be a nice idea. We will be able to criticise ourselves and share ideas. It might bring great added value to writing.

How do you think it can be berthed or launched?

Someone, or a group must give the initiative, call others and then it begins. Even if they are five or ten, it can start with clear objectives. Others would join later.

What's your advice to the upcoming Muslim writers?

Muslim writers must focus on issues; issues that will propel education and self reformation. They must be good professionals and try to attain good standards.

As the first Amir of The Muslim Congress (TMC) and a stalwart member of the Group, what's the stand of the Organization in the scheme of things first among the Muslims and then in Nigeria?

The Muslim Congress (TMC) is a unique body. I thank Allah for allowing its birth and supporting it at all times and at crucial moments. Our plan covers Muslims and non-Muslims. We seek to reform the souls, to strengthen the bodies and purify the environment. In achieving this, we definitely have agenda for Muslims and adherents of other religions.

What's the Group's stand on education both Islamic and otherwise?

We are strongly committed to productive engagement with individuals and groups on providing qualitative education for all. It has not been easy as our effort is limited by our resources.

You are an unapologetic Muslim polygamist. What do you say to Muslims and non-Muslims alike on polygamy and its scare on some latter day Muslims? And what has your experience been?

Polygamy is an interesting experience. First I know Allah does not permit anything impracticable. Therefore, reservations are not just based on supposed evils of polygamy, but on propaganda and hypes created from the West. The West is the master of the modern world and most people see the dictates of the West as the Revelation. That is where the problem is. For me, the fears of polygamy are as good as the fears of marriage, so do we abandon marriage as it is gradually unfolding in the West! My experience has been good, shareable and one that proves that the problem is not with polygamy.

Source: http://www.musnect.com/muslim-writers-must-focus-on-issues-abu-umar-al-faruq/

1 Share

(1) (Reply)

Marry While You Are Still Young / How To Become A Muslim(submitter) / Requirements For Zakat?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 28
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.