Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,833 members, 7,820,915 topics. Date: Wednesday, 08 May 2024 at 02:35 AM

Oba Of Benin Transited - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Oba Of Benin Transited (1960 Views)

Buhari Visits Eheneden Erediauwa, The Oba Of Benin (Photos) / Apc Governors Visit Oba Of Benin (pics) / Electricity Problem In Nigeria: Have We Truely Transited To Light? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Oba Of Benin Transited by absoluteSuccess: 11:50am On Feb 13, 2015
To God be the glory,

The oba of Benin joins his ancestors.

Erediauwa was born in 1923, son of Oba Akenzua II. Before being crowned he was known as Prince Solomon, Aiseokhuoba, Igbinoghodua Akenzua. He attended Government College, Ibadan (1939–1945), then Yaba College, before going to King's College, Cambridge to study Law and Administration.

He joined the Eastern Nigeria Civil Service in 1957 as a District Officer, later moving to the Federal Civil Service where he retired as Permanent Secretary, Ministry of Health in 1973. For a short period he was the regional representative of Gulf Oil. In 1975 he was appointed Commissioner for Finance in Bendel State during the Military Administration of Major-General George Agbazika Innih.

Ascending to the throne on 23 March 1979, he celebrated his 30th anniversary in 2009. During this period, he several times acted as a peacemaker between politicians. For example, he intervened in a dispute between Abia State governor Orji Uzor Kalu and Tony Anenih, Chairman of the People's Democratic Party Board of Trustees, and resolved another face-off involving Anenih and former Edo State Governor Lucky Igbinedion.

Apart from the ceremonial aspects, his 30th anniversary festival was a week long carnival and a showcase of Benin arts and culture, with numerous performances of traditional music and dance, as well as an art exhibition and food fair.

Akpolokpolo Erediauwa, the monarch of Benin Kingdom has joined his ancestors. He was 92 years old.

According to authoritative sources within and outside Edo State, the well-regarded king transited to the great beyond about two weeks ago. His death is still being kept secret because by Benin tradition, the death of an Oba could only be officially announced 30 days after his transition.
Re: Oba Of Benin Transited by Realdeals(m): 11:52am On Feb 13, 2015
Sourceless rumor!

1 Like

Re: Oba Of Benin Transited by StunningCEO: 11:52am On Feb 13, 2015
ftc......
Re: Oba Of Benin Transited by Huffington: 11:56am On Feb 13, 2015
It is true. I just confirmed from one of his younger daughters.
Re: Oba Of Benin Transited by absoluteSuccess: 12:03pm On Feb 13, 2015
Huffington:
It is true. I just confirmed from one of his younger daughters.

the king was a great man who lived according to the traditions of the great people of Benin. He will be missed. May God give the great Benin people the fortitude to bear the transition, may the new king to come take the land further to her prosperity.

Ise. sad
Re: Oba Of Benin Transited by Jesusloveyou: 12:07pm On Feb 13, 2015
Let me confirm first.before i join d rumour monger.
Re: Oba Of Benin Transited by absoluteSuccess: 12:11pm On Feb 13, 2015
kk

we're waiting for your 'fresh from vintage' news smiley
Re: Oba Of Benin Transited by Nobody: 12:12pm On Feb 13, 2015
I must say the Benin tradition is one in Nigeria that has stood the test of time. It is yet to be corrupted by western civilization unlike other traditional institutions.

Farewell to the great Oba.
Re: Oba Of Benin Transited by absoluteSuccess: 12:13pm On Feb 13, 2015
sunnyshayne:
I must say the Benin tradition is one in Nigeria that has stood the test of time. It is yet to be corrupted by western civilization unlike other traditional institutions.

Farewell to the great Oba.

"Well said...my son"

In the voice of Ovonranmwen Nogbaisi.
Re: Oba Of Benin Transited by omazus: 12:15pm On Feb 13, 2015
May He rest in peace
Re: Oba Of Benin Transited by Lusola15: 12:15pm On Feb 13, 2015
Good men leave too soon

barcanista:
Akpolokpolo Erediauwa, the monarch of Benin Kingdom has joined his ancestors. He was 92 years old.

My point is Good men should never die regardless of their age

absoluteSuccess:

I think your plan is to make methusela out of the old man cheesy 93 is ok na ah.

I know we all av to die but not when we need him d most
Re: Oba Of Benin Transited by Nobody: 12:19pm On Feb 13, 2015
My condolence to the royal house of Benin, Edo State indigens nd the entire Nigerians. May God in his infinite mercy grant rest to the only Monarch from South South that is well respected across board. Specifically, I join Donphilopus, Mogidi, Edogirl and other Edo Nairalanders to celebrate the lifetime of Oba Erediawa Okpolokplo....

Sai Buhari

1 Like

Re: Oba Of Benin Transited by Nobody: 12:20pm On Feb 13, 2015
Lusola15:
Good men leave too soon
Re: Oba Of Benin Transited by absoluteSuccess: 12:24pm On Feb 13, 2015
Lusola15:
Good men leave too soon
I think your plan is to make methusela out of the old man cheesy 93 is ok na ah.
Re: Oba Of Benin Transited by absoluteSuccess: 12:24pm On Feb 13, 2015
barcanista:

oro pesi je.
Re: Oba Of Benin Transited by absoluteSuccess: 12:25pm On Feb 13, 2015
omazus:
May He rest in peace
Isee...
Re: Oba Of Benin Transited by alaoeri: 12:26pm On Feb 13, 2015
The next Oba should be a APC member.
Re: Oba Of Benin Transited by absoluteSuccess: 12:29pm On Feb 13, 2015
alaoeri:
The next Oba should be a APC member.

what can I say...who knows?
Re: Oba Of Benin Transited by Arysexy(m): 12:31pm On Feb 13, 2015
No smoke without fire!

Could this be the reason Why He was not seen during GEJ and buhari visits to d palace?

Time to reduce night walka, head hunting must have started.

2 Likes

Re: Oba Of Benin Transited by absoluteSuccess: 12:41pm On Feb 13, 2015
that's the reason, he was not snubbing.
Re: Oba Of Benin Transited by Nobody: 12:44pm On Feb 13, 2015
May his soul rest in Peace
Re: Oba Of Benin Transited by Nobody: 12:49pm On Feb 13, 2015
Lusola15:
Good men leave too soon

Which soon? at 92?
Re: Oba Of Benin Transited by maestroferddi: 12:50pm On Feb 13, 2015
Farewell to the highly respected Oba of Benin!

He was generally scandal-free throughout his reign. He also shunned the usual tendentiousness for which some of his fellow royal fathers courted from time to time.

His demise will definitely leave a political void of some sort in Edo politics.
Re: Oba Of Benin Transited by Nobody: 12:51pm On Feb 13, 2015
absoluteSuccess:

oro pesi je.
grin
Re: Oba Of Benin Transited by Lusola15: 12:55pm On Feb 13, 2015
Yungwizzzy:

Which soon? at 92?

Yes too soon. Good men should never die
Re: Oba Of Benin Transited by absoluteSuccess: 12:56pm On Feb 13, 2015
barcanista:
grin

@barcanista una do o...

who are we voting for o!

seeing that this transition may also cause postponement of elections, maybe it will give time for consultations like this before the general (buhari) elections.
Re: Oba Of Benin Transited by absoluteSuccess: 12:58pm On Feb 13, 2015
Lusola15:

Yes too soon. Good men should never die

At some point they will beg for death when evil men have finish dealing with them, they will send petition to God that people should be dieing after a time on earth, and they will be remembered as bringing death to man. I don't buy that.
Re: Oba Of Benin Transited by Nobody: 1:13pm On Feb 13, 2015
Na Buhari na grin
absoluteSuccess:

@barcanista una do o...

who are we voting for o!

seeing that this transition may also cause postponement of elections, maybe it will give time for consultations like this before the general (buhari) elections.
Re: Oba Of Benin Transited by absoluteSuccess: 1:16pm On Feb 13, 2015
barcanista:
Na Buhari na grin

in that case, it is 'General election' as said by the people.

the election of the peoples' General so to say.

Sai baba.
Re: Oba Of Benin Transited by goldtooth: 4:34pm On Feb 13, 2015
Wow is this really true? Sure rumour has proved to be all lies in the past.
Re: Oba Of Benin Transited by lorddannie: 4:45pm On Feb 13, 2015
Apostle Johnson Suleiman prophesied this event in 2014

1 Like

Re: Oba Of Benin Transited by YouthsPC0: 5:31pm On Feb 13, 2015
RIP

(1) (Reply)

Do's And Don't For A Prospective Politician / The New First Lady Of Nigeria And Her Beautiful Daughters (photo) / NORAD: Russian Bombers Broadcast July 4th Audio Message To US Fighter Jets

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 24
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.