Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,597 members, 7,809,168 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 02:32 AM

what does Nigerian law say about children born out of wedlock? - Family (6) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / what does Nigerian law say about children born out of wedlock? (47793 Views)

The Son My Late Dad Had Out Of Wedlock Locked My Mum Out Of Our House, Pls Advis / Thread For Born Out Of Wedlock Nlers / Can You Marry A Lady That Gave Birth Out Of Wedlock? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: what does Nigerian law say about children born out of wedlock? by Daliano(m): 9:31am On Feb 16, 2015
shadowgwalker:
lol!guy leave me ooh! I not which you talk about. what is Postinor please?

Postinor?its a contraceptive used when one is not yet ready to be called daddy but doesn't want to cage his John Thomas.
Re: what does Nigerian law say about children born out of wedlock? by Yaasir(m): 9:42am On Feb 16, 2015
Op,
If it can be confirmed that those children belong to the man, the position of the law is that they will share out of the inheritance but the mother will not partake. This is different from the old law which forbade children born out of wedlock to share inheritance. Fell free to get a lawyer. You have a valid case, though it may take very long to conclude.
Re: what does Nigerian law say about children born out of wedlock? by aorta(m): 10:14am On Feb 16, 2015
dominion247:
egbeda, lagos
where in egbeda?
Re: what does Nigerian law say about children born out of wedlock? by Tunmich: 10:16am On Feb 16, 2015
dominion247:
Does anybody know what the Nigerian law say about children born out of wedlock? I am left to raise a child alone without any income. I lost my job when I was pregnant with the baby. I moved in with my baby daddy when I was 3 months pregnant due to pressure from my immediate family, we lived together till I gave birth. After the baby was born, he chased me out of the house of which I borrowed him money to rent. I ve moved back into my family house with the baby. He has not paid me back the money I borrowed him and he is not assisting me in anyway to raise the child. I want to take this up with the law but I cannot afford the fee I may be charged and I am also worried I might not win the case because we are not married. Please I need your candid opinions

Women too av their own share of the blame. Meanwhile, there is no illegal child according to law as ammended. In as much as d parternity is confirmd. All children in & out of wedlock have equal right.
Re: what does Nigerian law say about children born out of wedlock? by bigfoot79(m): 10:27am On Feb 16, 2015
If you are based in Lagos then the Laws of Lagos State avails you some sort of reliefs;
1st of all it is now a crime in Lagos State for a father to abandon the care of his child to the mother(whether or not the parents are married) and the position of law is that a recalcitrant man will go to jail where he so refuses.
2nd there are a whole lot of little little things that I need to know before giving you the proper directive on what to do and how to go about it and I can't do that in an open forum like here so send a mail to oakosinnowo@gmail.com or contact us via Whatsapp on 08026144703 for complete guidance.
Re: what does Nigerian law say about children born out of wedlock? by Cpumping(m): 10:41am On Feb 16, 2015
shadowgwalker:
locate the woman -child organisation(s).
they take cases like this serious, it's an abuse to the rights of a woman/child.

...but, why didn't you take Postinor2?

Hahahaha. Bet why u not ve sense. grin grin grin
Re: what does Nigerian law say about children born out of wedlock? by doitright2011: 10:59am On Feb 16, 2015
what do u need the law for. It is either na ur pikin or no be you pikin.
Re: what does Nigerian law say about children born out of wedlock? by infofta(m): 11:07am On Feb 16, 2015
What about his family? Take the child to them I'm sure they will do something if the child is theirs. Forget about court before his lawer starts telling you, you wanted to use the pregnacy to trap him. Or ran away when he told you he was ready. You even promised to take care of him yourself. I hope u will cry in the court room when he starts questioning you.
Re: what does Nigerian law say about children born out of wedlock? by chigomiced: 11:27am On Feb 16, 2015
Yaasir:
Op,
If it can be confirmed that those children belong to the man, the position of the law is that they will share out of the inheritance but the mother will not partake. This is different from the old law which forbade children born out of wedlock to share inheritance. Fell free to get a lawyer. You have a valid case, though it may take very long to conclude.

which kind inheritance be dat? how to bleep outside wedlock abi undecided
Re: what does Nigerian law say about children born out of wedlock? by Oscarsantos: 11:28am On Feb 16, 2015
dominion247:
Does anybody know what the Nigerian law say about children born out of wedlock? I am left to raise a child alone without any income. I lost my job when I was pregnant with the baby. I moved in with my baby daddy when I was 3 months pregnant due to pressure from my immediate family, we lived together till I gave birth. After the baby was born, he chased me out of the house of which I borrowed him money to rent. I ve moved back into my family house with the baby. He has not paid me back the money I borrowed him and he is not assisting me in anyway to raise the child. I want to take this up with the law but I cannot afford the fee I may be charged and I am also worried I might not win the case because we are not married. Please I need your candid opinions
. According to the amended law there is no illegal child.

Your child actually have every right to a good and sound care from his father despite been born out of wedlock.

get a lawyer, claim damages and also ask the court to compel him of a certain payment towards the development and upbringing of the child.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: what does Nigerian law say about children born out of wedlock? by Nobody: 11:42am On Feb 16, 2015
Cpumping:

Hahahaha. Bet why u not ve sense. grin grin grin
cheesy guy leave me oh! the thing dey tire me, only them go fyiok, they no go tell us. some, you go remind remind and remind to take after enjoying. some will be like, 'I hate drugs, let me take Andrews liver salt with crest. '

after 2 months the guy will be the one running about for 'abortion ' which is a bloody bad idea.
Re: what does Nigerian law say about children born out of wedlock? by Nobody: 11:44am On Feb 16, 2015
Daliano:

Postinor?its a contraceptive used when one is not yet ready to be called daddy but doesn't want to cage his John Thomas.
chwoi! that sounds like an assassination bullet.

1 Like

Re: what does Nigerian law say about children born out of wedlock? by akpanbaba: 11:57am On Feb 16, 2015
section 1 subsection 3 of the family law says they are bastards.
Re: what does Nigerian law say about children born out of wedlock? by pinkshell(f): 12:21pm On Feb 16, 2015
Dat's a very silly tin to say.
So e ddnt know she was dirty n lazy or proud b4 e inserted his dick in2 her to impregnate her bah?

Dis is what apens wen u hang around an irresponsible small boy, and na dem dey like sex pass.

Even if e can't stand her, y isn't e taking responsibity from afar. #AmSoDisgusted!
aguiyi post=3069505
1:

there are however many reasons why a guy should chase out a woman who had a child for him.

are you lazy or dirty, do you try to rub shoulders with him or talk rudely back at him when he is talking. African men don't like this things i have listed except those that are very informed, even at that, he can still chase you out except he loves you without measure.

my advice is move on. there is no law encouraging child bearing out of wedlock or protecting those involved in it, he did not rape you or abuse or in any way rather he sent you packing.

An insane man will make an attempt at your life so you or the child dont even come back for him
Re: what does Nigerian law say about children born out of wedlock? by Daliano(m): 1:01pm On Feb 16, 2015
shadowgwalker:
chwoi! that sounds like an assassination bullet.

Na one eye i take de luk u o.
Re: what does Nigerian law say about children born out of wedlock? by vicben27(m): 1:19pm On Feb 16, 2015
U can marry her of course she'z human after all! As regards d issue of who is to collect her bride price! I believ her mothers family are there 4 dat! Stop makin sily excuzes n wife her already
Re: what does Nigerian law say about children born out of wedlock? by OLUJOSHINS(m): 2:17pm On Feb 16, 2015
I'm very sorry for the huge betrayal U got from that maniac.

But I feel U should bone the money. I know its hard. No job, no current finance, no strong support for the baby. But U have to leave the past to focus on the future. This past includes the money & love U gave to the betrayer. Yes times are hard. its not easy to get a new job. But Please keep pushing, try hard to make ends meet as a single mama. May the good Lord support U.
Re: what does Nigerian law say about children born out of wedlock? by OLUJOSHINS(m): 2:20pm On Feb 16, 2015
akpanbaba:
grin
akpanbaba:

U are a funny cow
Re: what does Nigerian law say about children born out of wedlock? by pinkshell(f): 3:10pm On Feb 16, 2015
Are u kidding?
Na person wey no fit takia of woman, or pikin wey comot from in loins wan takia of motor?
E wan die?
Person like dat might even be struggling to pay NEPA bills sef.

BeeBeeOoh:
I need color of d house, wich kind motor hin dey ride& d color, how hin dey physically(short or tall, fat or slim). Infact, giv me beta description of him so d tonda no go miss target..
Re: what does Nigerian law say about children born out of wedlock? by pinkshell(f): 3:19pm On Feb 16, 2015
I hope for ur own gud u aint sexually active?
If u are, plz always insist on d use of condom, cos I pity anybody u r with.

vicogu76:
he has his reason for this too.folks you don't know who's fault. cool

1 Like

Re: what does Nigerian law say about children born out of wedlock? by lonelydora: 11:04pm On Feb 16, 2015
The law is localised. It depends on where you come from.
Re: what does Nigerian law say about children born out of wedlock? by Nobody: 8:14am On Feb 17, 2015
dominion247:

When you were enjoyIng unprotected sex what were you expecting ? Plasma TV ?
Re: what does Nigerian law say about children born out of wedlock? by ArcToyin(m): 8:40pm On Feb 17, 2015
ammyluv2002:
Talking to myself " why didn't I study law? " cry cry cry

OP, I feel for you.......I pray you get a good lawyer who will help out without collecting any charges. Some men are just wicked and very annoying.
i think op isnt wise enough. If she has wanted for both of them to be married before sex there wont be story like this.
Re: what does Nigerian law say about children born out of wedlock? by Nobody: 10:22pm On Feb 17, 2015
nunogomez:

When you were enjoyIng unprotected sex what were you expecting ? Plasma TV ?
may your sister also fall victim
Re: what does Nigerian law say about children born out of wedlock? by Nobody: 10:27pm On Feb 17, 2015
ArcToyin:

i think op isnt wise enough. If she has wanted for both of them to be married before sex there wont be story like this.
and you are wise enough?
Re: what does Nigerian law say about children born out of wedlock? by ArcToyin(m): 10:52pm On Feb 17, 2015
ngoziliz:
and you are wise enough?
am not claiming that. there are some things that are better avoided than involving oneself.
Re: what does Nigerian law say about children born out of wedlock? by franco3075q(m): 4:25pm On Jul 28, 2016
The thunder wey go fire that guy, dey do press up
Re: what does Nigerian law say about children born out of wedlock? by franco3075q(m): 4:25pm On Jul 28, 2016
The thunder wey go fire that guy, dey do press up and jogging
Re: what does Nigerian law say about children born out of wedlock? by andylee2cool: 11:08am On Mar 27, 2017
hello guys, please any advise? i have a child with a girl we just met, and she took in, and she moved in with me, with her parents consent as they said they can't stand the shame having a pregnant daughter out of wedlock in their house. we lived together till she delivered and i paid all the expenses hospital bills from the start till she put to birth. i did the naming and obtain birth cert from the hospital. now the parents said their daughter should come home with the baby because i have not pay a penny on her. and really to be honest i am not comfortable going to her parents house to see my boy, i don't want to rush into marriage and rush out as everything seems too in a rush to me. because of my child i am willing to go and pay the bride price, but i am also worry as the girl is Ibo girl and i am from Benin, from the beginning the mother complained about where i came from that we witch that fly in the afternoon we are this we are that and my girl also use that statement sometimes, we are witch pegans and so on. i just want to know my fate if i make the effort to go and pay the bride price and they refused to collect? there is no fight between me and the girl just she said she is obeying her parents advice and their ibo culture.
Re: what does Nigerian law say about children born out of wedlock? by sexyslim001(f): 11:32am On Mar 27, 2017
I am not lazy, neither am I dirty. When I say he chased me out, it is not d picture u imagine. He kept saying I should leave the house that he actually tot he was ready for marriage but he is not ready to be a husband or father. When I got tired of hearing this, I moved out
. [color=#006600][/color]. U shouldn't av moved out, if he was not ready he shld av left d aus den u only made it easy for him, he was only sayin it not lik he packed ur tinz out.
Re: what does Nigerian law say about children born out of wedlock? by Ayotundesh: 4:08am On Aug 01, 2017
CHESTER48:
Looks like a lie.but if its the truth then here is my comment.there is no law even in Europe and Nigeria..the owner of the baby is the man and not you too.so now,he sent you away because he doesn't have money to take care of you and the kid.in future maybe 2 years time,when he gets money,he come back and tell you that he wants to take his child back.then you will say no,he will take you to court.then the judge will tell you that the baby belongs to the man and not you.but you are the mother.in other words,the judge will say,that you should list all the whole expenses you made for the kid in cash.if you say 50million.it left for you.now the judge will tell the man to pay you 50million.when he pays you,then you hand over the kid to him.but that doesnt mean that you will not see her when she grows up or that she cant visit you.after all youre the mother.i rest my case

Lie Lie...
Don't listen to this person please.
The child is yours as a mother as long as hw didn't marry you...okay...
But if you want money from the father,both of you will have joint custody.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

Photo Of Food Items Bought For A Bride's Family / Parents, Watch What You Do In Presence Of Your Kids / Man Hospitalised After Beating From Wife

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 55
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.