Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,159,006 members, 7,838,525 topics. Date: Friday, 24 May 2024 at 02:19 AM

Have You Ever Dated A Black-american? - Culture (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Have You Ever Dated A Black-american? (13373 Views)

Nigerian Men Vs Black-American Men! / Black American's Making Fun Of Africans? / Proper Greeting For Black American Meeting Boyfriend's Nigerian Mother (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Have You Ever Dated A Black-american? by sistawoman: 11:06pm On Jan 08, 2009
I can assure you that the Africans here in Maryland use it in a derogatory way.  I can asure you that when they speak fondly of black Americans they say dudu.

I only can speak from personal experience.

It is kind of like calling someone gay a gay.  The word gay to them is derogatory

But no never mind it does not bother me anymore in the grand scheme of things as long as those no one doesnt say it to my face or in ear shot we are all good.  One of wives got fussed the hell out by her husband for calling me Akata.  My hubby is a big boi in this area and they dont allow any disrespect when it comes to me, at least not to my face.

KarmaMod:

How come sista doesnt scream when the akatas grin here call us "african bootyscratchers"

That really is not my fight is it?  As long as I don't ever disrespect you.

Magz:

We are really one and the same, though

I know right.

tpia:

Nigerians call non-African blacks by their nationality. Jamaicans are Jamaican or Jamo. Brazilians are Brazilians. Blacks from anywhere outside Africa are called the name of whatever country they come from.

Nobody[b] I [/b] know knows the meaning or origin of the word Akata. Akata does not mean Cat in Yoruba. Just because Akata sounds like cat doesnt mean its the Yoruba word for cat. It may not even be an African word at all.

Then why can't we just be called American.
Re: Have You Ever Dated A Black-american? by savanaha: 11:10pm On Jan 08, 2009
hmm
Re: Have You Ever Dated A Black-american? by touchmeder: 11:30pm On Jan 08, 2009
i am shocked to say the least. i never knew Akata was used for African americans specifically or it was used in a derogatory manner until i joined this site. i even used to refer to nigerians in the US as akata. Inshort so that i wont be the one getting it all wrong i asked peeps in my house today what they tot the word meant and they said ''is it not abroad or somebody from there''
Re: Have You Ever Dated A Black-american? by tpia: 12:30am On Jan 09, 2009
Re: Have You Ever Dated A Black-american? by BlackMamba(m): 2:20am On Jan 09, 2009
Replying to the poster, the only difference in dating an AA is the cultural orientation. Cultural differences can be a wonderful experience if neither of you is ignorant and is willing to learn. Bad character people exist in all cultures. The fact that most Nigerians date Nigerians is just a default of humans, being comfortable with their like. It doesn't mean they're better choices. My life with my AA wifey has been most fulfilling. This is coming from a Naija man with very strong African values.
Re: Have You Ever Dated A Black-american? by H2O2: 2:28am On Jan 09, 2009
BlackMamba:

Replying to the poster, the only difference in dating an AA is the cultural orientation. Cultural differences can be a wonderful experience if neither of you is ignorant and is willing to learn. Bad character people exist in all cultures. The fact that most Nigerians date Nigerians is just a default of humans, being comfortable with their like. It doesn't mean they're better choices. My life with my AA wifey has been most fulfilling. This is coming from a Naija man with very strong African values.

How do you do it? And did you finally quit the dope smoking?
Re: Have You Ever Dated A Black-american? by BlackMamba(m): 2:46am On Jan 09, 2009
H2O2 :

How do you do it?  And did you finally quit the dope smoking?

"DOPE IS WACK KIDS"
Unfortunately I had to lay off the trees after I ended my affairs with Jamo grin
Re: Have You Ever Dated A Black-american? by H2O2: 2:49am On Jan 09, 2009
grin grin
Re: Have You Ever Dated A Black-american? by Nobody: 7:14am On Jan 09, 2009
sistawoman:

I can assure you that the Africans here in Maryland use it in a derogatory way. I can asure you that when they speak fondly of black Americans they say dudu.

I only can speak from personal experience.

It is kind of like calling someone gay a gay. The word gay to them is derogatory

But no never mind it does not bother me anymore in the grand scheme of things as long as those no one doesnt say it to my face or in ear shot we are all good. One of wives got fussed the hell out by her husband for calling me Akata. My hubby is a big boi in this area and they don't allow any disrespect when it comes to me, at least not to my face.

That really is not my fight is it? As long as I don't ever disrespect you.

I know right.

Then why can't we just be called American.

You keep getting it wrong. I repeat and repeat and repeat. AKATA IS NOT DEROGATORY. Maybe the folks you roll with use it dat way. I have at least 100 friends in Baltimore and i have never gotten such vibes from them.
Whether you like it or not. There is a difference between an African American and an African (In terms of geographical origin). The fact that African American's are even referred to as AA's and not just plain Americans butresses this point.
Every tribe has its own way of describing people. Until you can tell me the definition of African American in any Nigerian language, AKATA is not derogatory.
DUDU is a yoruba word that means Black. It is just color. Same as white means "funfun". Its like saying Oyinbo for whites is derogatory since they should be called "funfun".
Akata is common in America because it originated in America and means "African American". Thats y they don't use it for blacks in other countries such as Brazil because it would be meaningless. Maybe now, it has started spreading out of the shores of the states sha.

Your decision to "act" if someone calls you an akata is ill conceived. The best thing to do is to look the other way and be the bigger person. (that is if the person implies it in a derogatory mannner)
I've been called Mandingo several times and i really didn't give a F!UCK. Fact is, the people who called me this don't make make my biweekly paycheck in one yr so i care less.
Re: Have You Ever Dated A Black-american? by sistawoman: 12:58pm On Jan 09, 2009
A-town,

Please come back to b-more and pass out the memo again because a few here did not get it.

It makes me no never mind. The husbands run the wives and dont allow them to call me Akata. I never put a negative condensation to the word until an African (16 year old) told me it was derogatory.
Re: Have You Ever Dated A Black-american? by JJYOU: 7:11pm On Jan 16, 2009
please God save us from ourselves
Re: Have You Ever Dated A Black-american? by redsun(m): 4:50pm On Jan 18, 2009
It's all fun being with bright,expose,matured and independent african american ladies,you can't differentiate fun time from work time,always bubbly,bitchy sometimes though but good.

In america you hardly notice antagonism if you have your goings on,not even from kkks,every body seems to be on parallel circles.Show me your friend,i will know who you are.
Re: Have You Ever Dated A Black-american? by Riskie(f): 7:08pm On Jan 18, 2009
From what I understand the word akata is generally used in a derogatory way. I was told that akata is the word for 'bonobo' which is a highly sexually active primate. It has sex for every possible reason: before feeding,for pleasure etc and even with it's own young. It was meant to suggest that AAs are very sexually immoral people. Yes some people will use it when referring to their US born children but it was initially intended to be a negative term. Perhaps now it is used more simply to mean African American but that was not it's first connotation. This is what I heard. Maybe I'm wrong undecided
Re: Have You Ever Dated A Black-american? by debosky(m): 7:14pm On Jan 18, 2009
akata means wild (undomesticated) cat - how the heck would Yoruba people invent a word for describing bonobos when they aren't even indigenous to Nigeria?
Re: Have You Ever Dated A Black-american? by Riskie(f): 7:17pm On Jan 18, 2009
LOL! Someone told me that. So I'm only saying what I was told.
Re: Have You Ever Dated A Black-american? by onyinye2(f): 7:20pm On Jan 18, 2009
Riskie:

LOL! Someone told me that. So I'm only saying what I was told.
Hey Riskie!!! I know this is off topic but I just wanted to say that I have been using your hair care regiment and my hair has grown two inches and it is so full and thick. Like I'm just loving it because I was having so much trouble with dandruff and I'm like "What should I do?" So I increased the moisture in my hair and it is just been heaven sent. Thanks. kiss
Re: Have You Ever Dated A Black-american? by Riskie(f): 7:31pm On Jan 18, 2009
Great cheesy I'm glad that it's working for you! I've had amazing results as well. I've made some changes to my regimen because I decided to go natural! Waiting a few more months to post progress pics. I never knew taking care of my hair would actually result in growth and super soft hair.
Re: Have You Ever Dated A Black-american? by KarmaMod(f): 7:36pm On Jan 18, 2009
Never cool
Re: Have You Ever Dated A Black-american? by onyinye2(f): 7:44pm On Jan 18, 2009
Riskie:

Great cheesy I'm glad that it's working for you! I've had amazing results as well. I've made some changes to my regimen because I decided to go natural! Waiting a few more months to post progress pics. I never knew taking care of my hair would actually result in growth and super soft hair.
My hair really improved because most don't know I have natural hair because I get it pressed. So it looks like I have a relaxer. So my hair is really thick so getting moisture to it was very hard. So I tried what you said, and like my hair is growing alot more and looks so healthy. Good luck with your transition and keep the faith because it does get frustrating. kiss

KarmaMod:

Never cool
LIAR!!! angry

I saw you last week with La'Deshawn oka. tongue

@Topic
Of course I have. They are absolutely delicious. grin
Re: Have You Ever Dated A Black-american? by Uche2nna(m): 7:54pm On Jan 18, 2009
@ Riskie

The bonobo allusion got me cracking up!!!!!  grin grin grin grin grin 

But I would have to agree with debo. The Bonobos are primarily found in Congo and I dont think the Yorubas were aware of that when the word was coined.

However, U are rite. Sex is their fave past-time. I mean the bonobos   grin

@ topic

One time too many sad It would take a lot of convincing to make me go back undecided JMO
Re: Have You Ever Dated A Black-american? by KarmaMod(f): 8:48pm On Jan 18, 2009
onyinye2:

LIAR!!! angry

*waka* You think say Im like you Kayode, that like men who cant get jobs and have prison records starting from 11 grin

When you sef you're barely Nigerian, why wont they be "delicious" to you. Olodo tongue

There's one bothering me at work, if he doesnt stop I might have to put him up for harrassment. Eranko. *rolls eyes* angry
Re: Have You Ever Dated A Black-american? by Treetop20(m): 8:59pm On Jan 18, 2009
onyinye2:

My hair really improved because most don't know I have natural hair because I get it pressed. So it looks like I have a relaxer. So my hair is really thick so getting moisture to it was very hard. So I tried what you said, and like my hair is growing alot more and looks so healthy. Good luck with your transition and keep the faith because it does get frustrating. kiss
LIAR!!! angry

@Topic
Of course I have. They are absolutely delicious. grin
i am not in the least bit surprised
Re: Have You Ever Dated A Black-american? by onyinye2(f): 9:06pm On Jan 18, 2009
KarmaMod:

*waka* You think say Im like you Kayode, that like men who cant get jobs and have prison records starting from 11 grin

When you sef you're barely Nigerian, why wont they be "delicious" to you. Olodo tongue

There's one bothering me at work, if he doesnt stop I might have to put him up for harrassment. Eranko. *rolls eyes* angry
WHOA!!!! shocked shocked shocked
I surely wasn't expecting that. Barely Nigerian you say?? Hmmmm. . . . . quite thought provoking.
Oka, I only dated AA men in high school because back than, I was only into athletes and they were athletic. So I went for them.
So you can kick rocks with out socks. tongue
Onye iberibe dike gi. tongue

Treetop20:

i am not in the least bit surprised
Izuzu onwe gi. Agadi nwoke. tongue
Re: Have You Ever Dated A Black-american? by Treetop20(m): 9:39pm On Jan 18, 2009
onyinye2:

WHOA!!!! shocked shocked shocked
I surely wasn't expecting that. Barely Nigerian you say?? Hmmmm. . . . . quite thought provoking.
Oka, I only dated AA men in high school because back than, I was only into athletes and they were athletic. So I went for them.
So you can kick rocks with out socks. tongue
Onye iberibe dike gi. tongue
Izuzu onwe gi. Agadi nwoke. tongue
onye apari cheesy
you always resort to calling me an old man
Re: Have You Ever Dated A Black-american? by Wumine(f): 12:17pm On Jan 19, 2009
None around to date only black Nigerian faces!
Re: Have You Ever Dated A Black-american? by Dede1(m): 1:50pm On Jan 19, 2009
@sistawoman

It is funny you seemed out of shape because of the usage of the word, Akata. I should remind you that it is equally offensive and crassly ignorance to refer to the inhabitants of Africa as BLACK.

Is it not ironical that you have being consistently a culprit in using the word, back, to reference anybody relating to Africa?  Last time I checked though, Africa is not synonymous with black.

By the way, you have a link to Wiki where Akata is referred as a FOX. As for dodo, it is a fried ripe plantain.

Please be reminded that Nigerians or Africans leaving in Maryland are not stupid. However, I am of the view that in the process of passing a knowledge, the person that failed to grasp the facts are relegated to stupidity column.

You are free to check your column with regard to this discourse.
Re: Have You Ever Dated A Black-american? by MrCrackles(m): 1:57pm On Jan 19, 2009
TOPIC
Yes!
Re: Have You Ever Dated A Black-american? by JustGood(m): 3:22pm On Jan 19, 2009
Akata was never a derogatory term. Anything can become derogatory if people decide to develop chips on their shoulders.

When I was a kid, I had cousins who were Akatas and no one ever considered it derogatory. Even elders were labelled as such and it was never anything derogatory. It is the uninformed of the present generation who read silly meanings to things they dont understand.
Re: Have You Ever Dated A Black-american? by osisi2(f): 3:25pm On Jan 19, 2009
No.
Only dated Igbo and Yoruba men until I married an Igbo man smiley
Re: Have You Ever Dated A Black-american? by JustGood(m): 3:28pm On Jan 19, 2009
**osisi:

No.
Only dated Igbo and Yoruba men until I married an Igbo man smiley

Good for you cheesy
Re: Have You Ever Dated A Black-american? by osisi2(f): 3:31pm On Jan 19, 2009
Thanks cool
I like the influential majority grin
Re: Have You Ever Dated A Black-american? by udezue(m): 9:40am On Jan 20, 2009
I've dated them. Some were good and I only had 1 horrible experience with 1 but we are still friends.

Nigerian / African girls are just as trifling as they are.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Numbers In Yoruba | Learning Yoruba Numbers | Onka Ede Yoruba / Pictures From Obodoukwu Festival Held In Imo State / Are Nigerian Men Lazy Or Just Completely Insensitive?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 59
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.