Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,449 members, 7,819,662 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 08:07 PM

Help Me To Help Her. - Family - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Help Me To Help Her. (1805 Views)

Should I Help Her Or Chase Her Out Of My House? / Help!!! Her Husband's Physique Does Not Turn Her On / Should A Woman Help Her Fiancé To Pay Her Bride Price? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Help Me To Help Her. by Nobody: 12:20am On Feb 15, 2015
It all started when we were posted to our ppa(nysc) newly and we went around the classes introducing ourselves to the middle school students. To catch fun with the kids, I challenged the students to write some notable hard-to-spell words but unfortunately, they all failed. I went on with easy words but I noticed that some students ain't following at all though they look very serious. I called some people out to read a comprehension(I was actually concerned about the comprehension question) but to my greatest surprise, half of the class can't read. To crown it all, among those that can't read and write, there are few people that can't recite "ABC" . I brought out a book and asked those that can't read and write to write their names if they want help. Though, many wrote their names but it is only one girl that keep coming to me for help. Her case seems bad but I believe that with the help of great people here on Nairaland, she will be better before I finish my service year by JULY.
Let me describe her a bit for your own understanding.
* She is a teen, 16 years or so
* she can't write ABC. She can recite it but she doesn't know some alphabet by name. Eg: if u ask her to point the alphabet 'M' she might end up pointing 'H'. Yes, it's that bad.
* she can't pronounce the word "GO"
* she is in JSS 3.
Communication is the major problem because she can't understand some of the things I am even teaching her. I have started building a relationship between us(me and her). She is always afraid anytime she is with me in the staff room. I don't know if she is afraid of me or other staff. I want to help her, we have started learning "ABCD". I need suggestions on how to teach her. I browsed and the particular site suggested WORD SIGHING. If you have encountered any thing like this please help me to help her. I will be the happiest man on earth the day she will read a sentence without corrections from me. THANKS.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Help Me To Help Her. by elantraceey(f): 12:30am On Feb 15, 2015
At 16 i was in .... lipsrsealed

Well before you can help her you should be sure she's ready and willing to help herself , with only that can any help rendered be effective.

Buy writing books for her, this is like starting from the scratch , she should be able to spell out the letters just the way it's written , so while she's learning how to write on her own you'll be teaching her how to pronounce and spell.

1 Like

Re: Help Me To Help Her. by Joel3(m): 1:24am On Feb 15, 2015
at 16? she cant read write abc are did she get to jss3 at the first place?

and i guess she can f u c k. Dont be surprise she is only getting close to you just to f u c k and probably pass ur subject.
Re: Help Me To Help Her. by Nobody: 1:27am On Feb 15, 2015
She's a slow learner Sir. cry
You've to be very patient with her in sincerity.

Like someone suggest, you need to start from the scratch. Teach her the alphabets A for A. Take your time and make sure she understands this 100%. I know it's not going to be easy but constantly with this in two weeks time, hopefully, she will grab.

Again, don't be in a hurry to teach her big words when she do finally learn the alphabets. Start with small words like go, is, the, etc.

Please, don't let yourself get angry and scold her if she seems not to be co-operating. Instead do encourage her and praise her from time to time.

I'm sure you'll suceed in helping her if you give your all without strings attached. Please don't give up on her. embarassed
Re: Help Me To Help Her. by Nobody: 1:37am On Feb 15, 2015
Joel3:
at 16? she cant read write abc are did she get to jss3 at the first place?

and i guess she can f u c k. Dont be surprise she is only getting close to you just to f u c k and probably pass ur subject.

Please, Shut the fúck up.

The least you can do is to simply click the back button and leave this thread without putting your daft brain to work as such stupíd comment is the end product even when you do.

In case you don't know, such case is damn real! There are lots of kids out there with learning difficulties and dis-abilities. I wouldn't allow daft people like you to disrespect them móron.

5 Likes

Re: Help Me To Help Her. by Ariyke: 2:06am On Feb 15, 2015
elantraceey:
At 16 i was in .... lipsrsealed

Well before you can help her you should be sure she's ready and willing to help herself , with only that can any help rendered be effective.

Buy writing books for her, this is like starting from the scratch , she should be able to spell out the letters just the way it's written , so while she's learning how to write on her own you'll be teaching her how to pronounce and spell.
I finished my O'level at 15 shocked
She seriously needs help and I pray God help her tru u
Re: Help Me To Help Her. by Joel3(m): 7:33am On Feb 15, 2015
Aprime:

Please, Shut the fúck up.

The least you can do is to simply click the back button and leave this thread without putting your daft brain to work as such stupíd comment is the end product even when you do.

In case you don't know, such case is damn real! There are lots of kids out there with learning difficulties and dis-abilities. I wouldn't allow daft people like you to disrespect them móron.
you must be crazy and draft. Id.iot.

How does disability got to do with someone of jss3 and can't read abc? Which are meant for primary student. How did she manage to pass.

I believe no one read for jss1 students in their exams. How did she do it.
Re: Help Me To Help Her. by Nobody: 9:42am On Feb 15, 2015
First of all, respect! You have good intentions and I am quite sure that you are doing a good job already. Very valuable.

Secondly, it's important you create an atmosphere, in which she will feel comfortable and lose her fear. Talk to her and tell her that she should not be afraid, that mistakes are allowed and that mistakes are natural and necessary in the learning process.

Thirdly, never lose patience with her. Cherish her progress, no matter how small.

Fourthly, teach her the ABC first and let her read and write simple words. Don't expect too much at the beginning. It's important she can solve the exercises you give her so that she develops some confidence.

Fifthly, there are a lot of teaching resources on the Internet on how to teach the ABC and reading and writing. Use them. Some teaching methods are created to be fun, why not use them? Even if she is 16, she needs to be taught like a younger learner because that's the stage she is at for now.
However, you will also find teaching activities for older learners online. It's fun to prepare lessons. Enjoy. wink

Last but not least, keep up the good work. Having a committed teacher who gives you one on one lessons is one of the greatest gifts you can give someone and will go a long way.

Teaching resources:

http://www.yourchildlearns.com/alphabet-activities.html

http://busyteacher.org/17917-how-to-teach-abc-to-adults-7-proven-ways.html

http://www.eslteachersboard.com/cgi-bin/lessons/index.pl?read=2795

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Help Me To Help Her. by Joel3(m): 10:30am On Feb 15, 2015
school is not by force. Doubt if she can ever learn anything. strange a jss cannot recite abc.

What a f u c k.
Re: Help Me To Help Her. by Nobody: 10:43am On Feb 15, 2015
Aprime:
She's a slow learner Sir. cry
You've to be very patient with her in sincerity.

Like someone suggest, you need to start from the scratch. Teach her the alphabets A for A. Take your time and make sure she understands this 100%. I know it's not going to be easy but constantly with this in two weeks time, hopefully, she will grab.

Again, don't be in a hurry to teach her big words when she do finally learn the alphabets. Start with small words like go, is, the, etc.

Please, don't let yourself get angry and scold her if she seems not to be co-operating. Instead do encourage her and praise her from time to time.

I'm sure you'll suceed in helping her if you give your all without strings attached. Please don't give up on her. embarassed
Thanks brother. I have taken it upon myself to help her, sincerely. I do joke with her but the problem is communication.
Re: Help Me To Help Her. by Nobody: 10:51am On Feb 15, 2015
carefreewannabe:
First of all, respect! You have good intentions and I am quite sure that you are doing a good job already. Very valuable.

Secondly, it's important you create an atmosphere, in which she will feel comfortable and lose her fear. Talk to her and tell her that she should not be afraid, that mistakes are allowed and that mistakes are natural and necessary in the learning process.

Thirdly, never lose patience with her. Cherish her progress, no matter how small.

Fourthly, teach her the ABC first and let her read and write simple words. Don't expect too much at the beginning. It's important she can solve the exercises you give her so that she develops some confidence.

Fifthly, there are a lot of teaching resources on the Internet on how to teach the ABC and reading and writing. Use them. Some teaching methods are created to be fun, why not use them? Even if she is 16, she needs to be taught like a younger learner because that's the stage she is at for now.
However, you will also find teaching activities for older learners online. It's fun to prepare lessons. Enjoy. wink

Last but not least, keep up the good work. Having a committed teacher who gives you one on one lessons is one of the greatest gifts you can give someone and will go a long way.

Teaching resources:

http://www.yourchildlearns.com/alphabet-activities.html

http://busyteacher.org/17917-how-to-teach-abc-to-adults-7-proven-ways.html

http://www.eslteachersboard.com/cgi-bin/lessons/index.pl?read=2795
I appreciate your encouragement. Let me surf the links you gave me and bookmark them. I always blame myself if she fails to answer some of my questions. I think may be I am not a good teacher.
Re: Help Me To Help Her. by Nobody: 10:57am On Feb 15, 2015
Vig86:

I appreciate your encouragement. Let me surf the links you gave me and bookmark them. I always blame myself if she fails to answer some of my questions. I think may be I am not a good teacher.

Your intentions are noble. This is a perfect foundation. Your teaching skills can be developed.

Make sure, you create tasks she can tackle. The art is to find the difficulty level that does not demand too little but not too much from the learner. Demanding too little and too much is demotivating and can lead to frustrations.

It's also important that she has enough practice time once she learns something new. Give her time to repeat newly acquired knowledge before you move on to the next step but not for too long, before she gets bored.

The beautiful thing is that you and her will be learning at the same time; she will learn how to read and write and you will learn the Art of Teaching. wink

Have fun you two! smiley

2 Likes

Re: Help Me To Help Her. by Nobody: 10:59am On Feb 15, 2015
Joel3:
you must be crazy and draft. Id.iot.

How does disability got to do with someone of jss3 and can't read abc? Which are meant for primary student. How did she manage to pass.

I believe no one read for jss1 students in their exams. How did she do it.
I understand brother. I asked the same question. Government secondary schools in most states in Nigeria don't fail students and even they fail them, they don't repeat class. My concern for her is that as the way the world is moving right now, I doubt if their generation will condone illiteracy. Some people don't really believe in education and therefore don't give attention to it.
Re: Help Me To Help Her. by mako007(m): 11:05am On Feb 15, 2015
God is your strength. Search the internet for resource materials. I recommend books like queens premiere if you can lay your hands on it.

2 Likes

Re: Help Me To Help Her. by Nobody: 11:10am On Feb 15, 2015
mako007:
God is your strength. Search the internet for resource materials. I recommend books like queens premiere if you can lay your hands on it.

Cool profile pic. wink
Re: Help Me To Help Her. by mako007(m): 11:18am On Feb 15, 2015
carefreewannabe:

Cool profile pic. wink
awwn, thanks. First compliment I'm gettin on NL. cheesy

2 Likes

Re: Help Me To Help Her. by Nobody: 11:37am On Feb 15, 2015
mako007:
awwn, thanks. First compliment I'm gettin on NL. cheesy

Welcome. smiley wink
Re: Help Me To Help Her. by Joel3(m): 11:41am On Feb 15, 2015
Vig86:

I understand brother. I asked the same question. Government secondary schools in most states in Nigeria don't fail students and even they fail them, they don't repeat class. My concern for her is that as the way the world is moving right now, I doubt if their generation will condone illiteracy. Some people don't really believe in education and therefore don't give attention to it.
i can swear and bet that this thing you are about to do will lead to a romance. Trust me when i say this.

From pity it will get to affection... You will remember me. Goodluck with it.

1 Like

Re: Help Me To Help Her. by Nobody: 11:52am On Feb 15, 2015
Joel3:
i can swear and bet that this thing you are about to do will lead to a remance. Trust me when i saws this.

From pity it will get to affection... You will remember me. Goodluck with it.
Funny guy. May be my child will marry her.
Re: Help Me To Help Her. by mako007(m): 12:01pm On Feb 15, 2015
carefreewannabe:

Welcome. smiley wink
thanks
Re: Help Me To Help Her. by Joel3(m): 12:46pm On Feb 15, 2015
Vig86:

Funny guy. May be my child will marry her.
grin guy is a free world. If you are lucky she might still be a virgin.

Invite are for personal lectures. That's what we called special teaching.

You will see that emotions will start to build. Except you want to tell me you are not wood.

If you knw you sign up for this better not do it. and I doubt if she will be able to caught up. I have seen her type before. Little you can do very minimal.
Re: Help Me To Help Her. by Nobody: 1:03pm On Feb 15, 2015
Joel3:
grin guy is a free world. If you are lucky she might still be a virgin.

Invite are for personal lectures. That's what we called special teaching.

You will see that emotions will start to build. Except you want to tell me you are not wood.

If you knw you sign up for this better not do it. and I doubt if she will be able to caught up. I have seen her type before. Little you can do very minimal.

What is your problem. Learn how to build up not tear down. He is trying to do something good. Encourage him and If you have advice, give it.

Last last warn him off sleeping with her. You keep trying to turn what he is doing into something sordid. Stop it!

1 Like

Re: Help Me To Help Her. by Nobody: 1:05pm On Feb 15, 2015
Op kudos on what you are doing, you will surely be rewarded one day.

Pls never be tempted to have anything to do with that girl.

1 Like

Re: Help Me To Help Her. by Joel3(m): 1:17pm On Feb 15, 2015
fem29:

What is your problem. Learn how to build up not tear down. He is trying to do something good. Encourage him and If you have advice, give it.

Last last warn him off sleeping with her. You keep trying to turn what he is doing into something sordid. Stop it!
by the time the guy come back here with a topic.

Please help i just impregnat my student a 16 years old.

I believe you will be the first to throw insult at him even before getting to know the matter.

temptation is knocking...
Re: Help Me To Help Her. by systacee: 8:53pm On Feb 15, 2015
Good heart, great intentions.
You'll be surprised at the number of cases like that. Two things:
- There's this book - Queen Primer. It would help.
- Keep your teaching as open as possible. Staff room would do. Discourage any other contacts lest your good be evil spoken of.
You're about to reduce the illiteracy statistic by one.

3 Likes

Re: Help Me To Help Her. by Nobody: 10:18pm On Feb 15, 2015
systacee:
Good heart, great intentions.
You'll be surprised at the number of cases like that. Two things:
- There's this book - Queen Primer. It would help.
- Keep your teaching as open as possible. Staff room would do. Discourage any other contacts lest your good be evil spoken of.
You're about to reduce the illiteracy statistic by one.
Thanks, a lot. I will try to get the book, Queen primer.

(1) (Reply)

Photo: A Fact About Father / Can I Adopt As A Single Man? / Brand New Lg Fully Automatic Washing Machine For Sale

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 67
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.