Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,778 members, 7,810,028 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 06:58 PM

Is Smoking A Sin? - Religion (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Is Smoking A Sin? (16526 Views)

'I Know It's A Sin, Yet I Fall Into It Everytime' / Is Smoking A Sin? / Is Sport Betting A Sin? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Is Smoking A Sin? by olisamedua: 12:03pm On Mar 01, 2015
Smoking is a sin. Jer 44:8 Why do you provoke Me to anger with the works (idols) of your own hands, burning incense to other gods in the land of Egypt, where you [of your own accord] have come to dwell temporarily, that you might be cut off and become a curse and a reproach (an object of reviling and taunts) among all the nations of the earth?
A smoker burns incense, definitely not to God.
Re: Is Smoking A Sin? by Krasid(m): 12:04pm On Mar 01, 2015
I don't think so.
Re: Is Smoking A Sin? by Spydamannn(m): 12:05pm On Mar 01, 2015
Is smoking cuban cigars a sin too.. Wanted to say something extremely important but I forgot
Re: Is Smoking A Sin? by Nobody: 12:06pm On Mar 01, 2015
iambest:
Join the great illuminati and experience tremendous growth in all aspect of your life, remember a decision can change your life forever. call_08140013736.
Why lure people into calamity and frustration? Enjoy all of it alone. Wish you the utmost best.
Re: Is Smoking A Sin? by redsun(m): 12:07pm On Mar 01, 2015
A sin to your body of course. It kills.
Re: Is Smoking A Sin? by Funkychic(f): 12:11pm On Mar 01, 2015
orbis:
I'm not talking about weed or marijuana or other drugs but simply stuffs like Benson and London cigarettes . I am a bit confused on this. Please can more enlightened members throw more light on t

hmmmm....seems like u dey draw d smoke too. if u don't want to draw anymore, kindly stop and not seeking if its a sin before you'd stop. and what if majority here comment dat it isn't a sin, u keep on, I guess? and what about d harm u really know it does to ur system, huh?
Re: Is Smoking A Sin? by FineboyChanges(m): 12:34pm On Mar 01, 2015
Smoking isn't a sin' but there's always a range for everyman and too much of everything is bad... shocked shocked shocked shocked
Re: Is Smoking A Sin? by klodike(m): 1:03pm On Mar 01, 2015
No wonder you are.....
FriedPlantain:
I don't know about cigarettes but I smoke an average of 16 sticks of igbo per day yet I receive inspiration and revelations from God. Leave all those rubbish things small boys are smoking up and down and go for the real deal (ibadan weeds), you'd be so high that you won't know when you would start conversing on a daily basis with the Most High. cool

Friedplantain
Re: Is Smoking A Sin? by rezzy: 1:20pm On Mar 01, 2015
sammer4life:
Viewing this topic: Ishilove , kaywiluv ( f),
Simple26 ( m ), yuemai( m ), Ifelofemi , sharon763 ,
FriedPlantain , garba89( m ), Tval( m ), arvinsloane
( m), justmyway, akpangodwin3( m ) and 6 guest(s)

Kaywiluv, were you not suppose to be in church by 11:49?
Re: Is Smoking A Sin? by fairheven: 3:06pm On Mar 01, 2015
Maybe I shud also ask ...is smoking righteousness
Re: Is Smoking A Sin? by linearity: 3:28pm On Mar 01, 2015
olisamedua:
Smoking is a sin. Jer 44:8 Why do you provoke Me to anger with the works (idols) of your own hands, burning incense to other gods in the land of Egypt, where you [of your own accord] have come to dwell temporarily, that you might be cut off and become a curse and a reproach (an object of reviling and taunts) among all the nations of the earth?
A smoker burns incense, definitely not to God.
Your lack biblical understanding is palpable. You just quoted the bible out of contest there.

That passage is against 'burning incense to other gods', it did not condemn the burning of incense itself. Even in the Old Testament, which was the setting of that passage, the Isralites burnt incense to God in worship.

Fast forward to the New Testament, the three wise men brought incense to Jesus. So, there is not wrong in burning incense in worship to God or when we do it at home to add fragrance to our house, event or to drive out insects, it is only a sin when the object of the incense burning is to idols or other gods.

Back to the topic of smoking, agreed it is a bad habit, it leads to health issues but it is not a sin. Eating sugar lead to diabetes and death, consuming Palm oil leads to high cholesterol and death, not exercising regularly is harmful to our health and just like smoking, these things are bad and harmful to our health but they are not sin.

Mathew: 15:10-11, says what goes into the mouth of a man does not defile a man but, it is what comes out of a man's mouth that defiles him.
Re: Is Smoking A Sin? by kelvinmuffins3(m): 7:12pm On Mar 01, 2015
Smoking is not a sin.. I don't see any harm there because I do smoke. Only if you believe what u are taking is bad then it will harm you.

If you live in norway then u will know smoking does not harm you but it warmth your body from getting freeze.
Re: Is Smoking A Sin? by Ishilove: 7:48pm On Mar 01, 2015
ahkenaten:

That means Jesus had his hair short, i wonder where those long hair, blue eyed Jesus pictures originated from.
Read through this this thread. It's very educative www.nairaland.com/2153084/jesus-black-man
Re: Is Smoking A Sin? by goodson(m): 9:37pm On Mar 01, 2015
ollah1:
Nope it's not. Show me where it's written in the scripture that it is.
show me where it is written in the bible that we should not eat cockroach..we know that cockroach is bad that is why we dont it eat.
Re: Is Smoking A Sin? by Nobody: 9:55pm On Mar 01, 2015
goodson:

show me where it is written in the bible that we should not eat cockroach..we know that cockroach is bad that is why we dont it eat.

Lol, you are pretty funny bro. Whats bad in eating roaches? There are people that eat them. we might not know them doesnt mean it doesn't exist
Re: Is Smoking A Sin? by Bola4mi(f): 10:00pm On Mar 01, 2015
Leave religion out of this,what is bad is bad,it dangerous to the health even people that produce wrote it on the paper.
Re: Is Smoking A Sin? by Mattpopson101: 2:06am On Mar 02, 2015
if it affects you then its a sin
cruxeylord:
to me it's not a sin but it affect body system in negative ways
Re: Is Smoking A Sin? by tundeotunba(m): 6:46am On Mar 02, 2015
For the fact that it dangerous to human health, that alone makes it a sin
Re: Is Smoking A Sin? by cupidhero(m): 11:12am On Mar 02, 2015
Is suicide a sin? You are killing yourself slowly and then you are asking if it is a sin. Pictire this!@OP If you slowly torture a human being for ten years and then grant him freedom and he then dies the following day,who do you think is responsible for his death? You don' t have to serve two masters at a time. If you wanna be a smoker then be a smoker. Don't play smart with a creator that gave you intelligence. We all know answers to questions like this still we all try to twist the scripture to suit our bad habit. I'm not a saint but i always know which team i'm on depending on how i live each minute of my life.
Re: Is Smoking A Sin? by Nobody: 11:25am On Mar 02, 2015
Yes it is a sin to Yahweh according to Christians. But obviously our Morden society won't jail anyone for it because we are not as primitive as Monster Yahweh and his followers.
Re: Is Smoking A Sin? by olisamedua: 5:09pm On Mar 02, 2015
Linearity, your lack of understanding of lexis and structure is what is very evident here considering that your first sentence lacks an 'of' between 'lack' and 'biblical'. It made me want to ignore your exposé (or lack of it).
I would however; take time out of my very busy schedule to educate you for the sake of others who are reading this.
i. When I said 'burn incense' I'm sure the picture you had in your mind was of someone in red robes carrying a small burning stick. Wrong.
My dictionary defines incense (the noun) thus: a. An aromatic substance, such as wood or a gum, that is burned to produce a pleasant odor. b. The smoke or odor produced by the burning of such a substance. I am sure that if we are not talking about electronic cigarettes, every other cigarette fits this description.
ii. Unless you agree with me that the cigarette smoke is burnt to the worship of God, then it is obviously burning to fulfil some purpose, I leave that to you to decide.
iii. Your last sentence nails it. If you have observed people who smoke very closely you would notice that something actually comes out of their mouth when they exhale (I might be wrong though, please help me confirm when next you see a smoker).

linearity:

Your lack biblical understanding is palpable. You just quoted the bible out of contest there.

That passage is against 'burning incense to other gods', it did not condemn the burning of incense itself. Even in the Old Testament, which was the setting of that passage, the Isralites burnt incense to God in worship.

Fast forward to the New Testament, the three wise men brought incense to Jesus. So, there is not wrong in burning incense in worship to God or when we do it at home to add fragrance to our house, event or to drive out insects, it is only a sin when the object of the incense burning is to idols or other gods.

Back to the topic of smoking, agreed it is a bad habit, it leads to health issues but it is not a sin. Eating sugar lead to diabetes and death, consuming Palm oil leads to high cholesterol and death, not exercising regularly is harmful to our health and just like smoking, these things are bad and harmful to our health but they are not sin.

Mathew: 15:10-11, says what goes into the mouth of a man does not defile a man but, it is what comes out of a man's mouth that defiles him.
Re: Is Smoking A Sin? by ahkenaten(m): 11:09pm On Mar 04, 2015
Ishilove:

Read through this this thread. It's very educative www.nairaland.com/2153084/jesus-black-man

modupe, esheun... smiley
Re: Is Smoking A Sin? by Nobody: 7:23am On Mar 05, 2015
pls I want to know the difference btw:
weed
marijuana,
sk
& Jedi....Dats if there is any difference
Re: Is Smoking A Sin? by linearity: 12:19pm On Mar 05, 2015
olisamedua:
Linearity, your lack of understanding of lexis and structure is what is very evident here considering that your first sentence lacks an 'of' between 'lack' and 'biblical'. It made me want to ignore your exposé (or lack of it).
I would however; take time out of my very busy schedule to educate you for the sake of others who are reading this.
i. When I said 'burn incense' I'm sure the picture you had in your mind was of someone in red robes carrying a small burning stick. Wrong.
My dictionary defines incense (the noun) thus: a. An aromatic substance, such as wood or a gum, that is burned to produce a pleasant odor. b. The smoke or odor produced by the burning of such a substance. I am sure that if we are not talking about electronic cigarettes, every other cigarette fits this description.
ii. Unless you agree with me that the cigarette smoke is burnt to the worship of God, then it is obviously burning to fulfil some purpose, I leave that to you to decide.
iii. Your last sentence nails it. If you have observed people who smoke very closely you would notice that something actually comes out of their mouth when they exhale (I might be wrong though, please help me confirm when next you see a smoker).

I will have to leave the grammatical and lexical reconstruction and correction of my sentences to you and focus more on the substance of the post, more so as it appear that you clearly understood my point.

And No! I wasn't imagining anyone on red robe burning incense, as your comment did not conveye that. You basically placed all act of incense burning into one bucket, then colored it one shade aka sinful; and as I pointed out, that is not accurate, because...apart from the fact that, there are two extremes to incense burning (on one end, to Devil which is sinful and on the other end to God), there are also shades of grey in between that are also not sinful and as such, your view is not only myopic, but also unsupported by biblical practices and injunctions.

Secondly, you failed in your interpretation of that Math. 15:11 text....Jesus was speaking within the context of 'what comes out of our mouth as sinful' in reference to our words, utterances, etc and not an exhaled smoke due to smoking cigarettes. FYI, one does not exhale smoke when smoking electronic cigarettes, I guess that would pass your narrow interpretations and be categorized as non-sinful, while the other type of cigarettes are sinful, you can see the resultant inconsistency from your out of context rendering of that biblical text.
Re: Is Smoking A Sin? by olisamedua: 7:09pm On Mar 06, 2015
Linearity you would do well to pass your point across next time without insulting other people as you would be shocked at the calibre of people that read your posts. Appearing insulting belittles you.

FYI, I have read the bible and the quaran back to back quite a number of times, I have also studied quite a few books on other religions; needless to say, I do not claim to be an authority in these matters and I would be happy to learn from you if you are willing to teach me what you know.

I assume you are a Christian and that I can discuss with you using biblical terms, hence my points below:

i. Remember Isa 28:10 - For it is precept upon precept, line upon line; here a little, there a little. See the following scriptures to buttress my point: II Kings 22:17, II Kings 23:5; II Chronicles 28:25, 34:24, 34:25; Jeremiah 1:16, 7:9, 11:12, 19:4; Chapter 44, 48:35

ii. Have you heard of the demon called Bacchus, please do some research on him, you would be shocked what you would find out (you can start from here: http://www.cuttingedge.org/ce1062.html).

iii. Please see extract of some research I did a while ago on the origin of smoking (culled from http://www.demonbuster.com/smoking.html)
Burning tobacco originated with ancient aboriginals. The modern world learned of the use of tobacco from the Indians. History reveals Columbus found the Indians smoking and watched with surprise and wonderment. The Grand Pipe or Pipe of Peace was first observed among the Indians of Upper Mississippi country by the French. They called these pipes "calumets". According to the Indians the pipe possessed a supernatural power and a "charming" effect to compel the partakers of the smoke to a brotherly bond of peace (obviously not the peace of the Lord Jesus Christ).
Historically the calumet was considered a sacred pipe to offer smoke to the demon gods above and below. Tobacco was looked upon as a sacred plant and burning it brought favor in the eyes of the gods (demons). Even a member of an enemy tribe who entered a house and smoked with the host, was guaranteed protection and safe conduct when he left.
Several Indian tribes burned incense for a purifying medium or an acceptable offering to the unseen. Some eastern tribes did not smoke a pipe in a sacred ceremony but burned tobacco in a small fire. This smoke offering was believed to ascend to the power to whom they prayed.
As the use of tobacco as an offering to gods continued, it was rolled in corn husks, the predecessors of modern cigars and cigarettes. Inhaling the smoke was incorporated into the rituals and both the smoke and the aroma continued to have a serious place in the religious rituals and ceremonies.
History reference books also state the tobacco pipe was used by American Indians in ceremonies to ratify treaties. Also, some Indians smoked the tobacco pipes to their sun-god and blew the smoke to him. Indians related many sources of illnesses to "witches who flew through the air disguised as owls to poison their victims". The protective practice against these witches was to cut their limbs and cleanse themselves of bad blood; and the use of "the old man's tobacco" was to avert spirits of the dead.
These are processes of witchcraft prohibited by God.

iv. If you feel Jesus spoke contextually in Matt 15:11, please read Rev 22:18-19.

v. You are quite wrong in assuming that nothing is exhaled when you smoke electronic cigarettes, because though they do not produce cigarette smoke they produce an aerosol which is frequently but inaccurately referred to as vapor. The point is 'something comes out'.

In conclusion, please read Matt 13: 10-16, I pray verses 11 and 16 will be your portion.

Asante sana.
Re: Is Smoking A Sin? by Nobody: 10:14pm On Mar 06, 2015
a dieing person will surely die,him being a smoker or not infact it seems smokers hardly get sick dese days compared 2 nonsmokers dat kip dieing of cancer,god knws hw dey get it.......one tin i love about tobacco is d ideas it iccubates in my head,i jst suddenly start gettin ideas out of tin air,it still suprised my peers hw i still graduated with a first class in civil engg as a tobacco addict........so my humble oppinion,smokin only brings out the u in u so if u r bad in dere,dont do it...

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

How I Embraced Sexual Purity - My Personal Journey / A Thread For The Intelligent. Let's Put Critical Thought To Work / Jesus Never Died, Said Myles Munroe The Occultist

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 55
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.