Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,757 members, 7,824,173 topics. Date: Saturday, 11 May 2024 at 02:45 AM

Warri- The Urhobos, The Itsekiris And The Ijaws : Facts And Factlets. - Culture (12) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Warri- The Urhobos, The Itsekiris And The Ijaws : Facts And Factlets. (72204 Views)

Warri: The Urhobo/Isoko People In Entertainment And The Warri Brand / Igbele: Evil Forest Where Itsekiris Dump Corpses Of Witches, Wizards / The Isoko People Of Delta State : Facts & Factlets (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (9) (10) (11) (12) (13) (14) (15) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Warri- The Urhobos, The Itsekiris And The Ijaws : Facts And Factlets. by jolo26(m): 2:07am On Apr 20, 2015
Frankiss44:

Exactly.. The main warri you hear about is even effurun and ekpan which is uvwie.. These two towns house most of the companies and grade A hotels in warri
is dis nt stupidity? u re callin ur house my house. wat do u mean main warri is ekpan and eff. warri is dfrent frm ekpan nd eff. i knee down beg u. which kind brain u get. dat mean very soon dem go say ovie of warri. lol
Re: Warri- The Urhobos, The Itsekiris And The Ijaws : Facts And Factlets. by jolo26(m): 2:13am On Apr 20, 2015
dennismukoro:
BIG YES IF U DONT KNW. ITSEKIRI ENTIRE PUPULATION NOT UP TO 500K
i nearly say make ogun thunder u but i dey go church. d history u read were u saw 500k did u look at d date? i knw itsekiri re micro. minority but they re bout a million plus nw.

1 Like

Re: Warri- The Urhobos, The Itsekiris And The Ijaws : Facts And Factlets. by jolo26(m): 2:17am On Apr 20, 2015
dennismukoro:
GO KNW UR HISTORY
do u knw usobo(eru) history or du u want itsekiri to educate u?
Re: Warri- The Urhobos, The Itsekiris And The Ijaws : Facts And Factlets. by jolo26(m): 2:22am On Apr 20, 2015
Frankiss44:

Oga I know that one... What am saying is that the companies and hotels that makes warri even famous are mainly at the outskirts in effurun
u talk like a child. does dat nw make uvwie nw part of warri. dat y urobo cannot win warri case. pple dey talk go right u dey go left. y cnt urobo provide document dat they own warri?
Re: Warri- The Urhobos, The Itsekiris And The Ijaws : Facts And Factlets. by jolo26(m): 2:23am On Apr 20, 2015
dennismukoro:
KOKO IS IN WARRI NORTH MOSTLY COVERED BY WATER.. AND THAT IS WERE OLU OF ITSEKIRI PALACE WAS SUPPOSE TO BE
ur papa
Re: Warri- The Urhobos, The Itsekiris And The Ijaws : Facts And Factlets. by onuwaje(m): 12:13pm On Apr 21, 2015
Ok I have read a lot of nonsense on this thread.. and here is my. Own contribution

1. Most people think UVWIE is part of warri which is wrong!. Uvwie is anoda LGA on its own.. they have their own monarch (ovie of uvwie)

2. The nonsense talk of 'urhobo owns warri' is wrong. Up till now I have not seen or heard of any monarch claiming 'ovie of warri'.. the communities which r home to the Urhobos (agbassa, okere-urhobo etc) have their own monarch

3. The claim that the Itsekiris shud revert to the title 'olu of itsekiri' is anoda nonsense which pisses me of. Because I keep wondering why wud an educated man say so. It is very crystal clear that monarchs rule a place. That's why we don't have 'ovie or urhobo' or emir of hausa or obi/eze of igbo or amayanabo of ijaw.. pls try and change ur mentality

4. The Urhobos I feel r laying claim to warri because of the natural resources.. u guys shud work on ur human resources like China did

5. The issue why the ownership of warri is like this according to a journal I read is because back in 1952 when d 'olu of itsekiri was changed by an educated man to its correct form is that the old warri division covers up to present day agbor.. so ur grand fathers saw this as an opression.. I understand where ur arguments r coming from

6. The high intellect of the Europeans to record their experiences on paper which shows that the people they met on ground. We shud make reference to these materials that r available for consumption... also there r materials from the urhobo n itsekiri blocs we shud read, listen den draw reasonable conclusion as to who owns warri...

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Warri- The Urhobos, The Itsekiris And The Ijaws : Facts And Factlets. by abraka00(f): 5:20pm On Apr 26, 2015
jolo26:
which supreme court, is it urhobo supreme court? even d British and Portuguese will tell u dat they met itsekiri as warri owner nt urhobo or ijaw. if u guys own warri hw com u pple dnt ve king in warri until okumagba era wen he try to impose king in okere which is an itsekiri community. while olu of warri as been 536yrs.
It has been olu of itsekiri not olu of warri
Re: Warri- The Urhobos, The Itsekiris And The Ijaws : Facts And Factlets. by abraka00(f): 5:23pm On Apr 26, 2015
jolo26:
is dis nt stupidity? u re callin ur house my house. wat do u mean main warri is ekpan and eff. warri is dfrent frm ekpan nd eff. i knee down beg u. which kind brain u get. dat mean very soon dem go say ovie of warri. lol
If you dont know, there is Ovie of Agbarha Warri.
Re: Warri- The Urhobos, The Itsekiris And The Ijaws : Facts And Factlets. by abraka00(f): 5:38pm On Apr 26, 2015
I now understand clearly that u are not intelligent. Let me educate u a bit: Urhobo is a nation just like Itsekiri, Igbira, Igala,Nupe etc. We have Etsu nupe,Ohinoyi of Igbiraland, Attah of Igala kindom. Even within the Urhobo land, we have Orodge of Okpe kindom, Ovie of Agbon, Ovie of Uvie not Effurun. Initially, we had olu of itsekiri not Olu of warri.

2 Likes

Re: Warri- The Urhobos, The Itsekiris And The Ijaws : Facts And Factlets. by onuwaje(m): 5:14am On Apr 27, 2015
abraka00:
It has been olu of itsekiri not olu of warri
That is nt disputed but y have u nt come in. Terms with
1.monarchs rule a. Place (itsekiris r from warri)
Re: Warri- The Urhobos, The Itsekiris And The Ijaws : Facts And Factlets. by onuwaje(m): 5:34am On Apr 27, 2015
abraka00:
I now understand clearly that u are not intelligent. Let me educate u a bit: Urhobo is a nation just like Itsekiri, Igbira, Igala,Nupe etc. We have Etsu nupe,Ohinoyi of Igbiraland, Attah of Igala kindom. Even within the Urhobo land, we have Orodge of Okpe kindom, Ovie of Agbon, Ovie of Uvie not Effurun. Initially, we had olu of itsekiri not Olu of warri.
Okpe is d name of the land right? Like wise uvwie.... which coincidentally happens to b. d name of the dialect. What I'm trying to say is this.. assuming the land has some name that is diff from d language.. den we wud av been seeing things like 'ovie of effurun' or orodje of sapele et al..

Now the people r itsekiri.. and they r from warri.. there r several communities within the land called warri.. which happens to have heads (orosuen of okere-urhobo et al).. who rule over those communities (which I stated earlier).. so if we can have an ovie of uvwie which Is the name of a place... why can't we have 'an olu of warri' which is also d name of a place?

Take Britain for example.. the queen rules over the entire land(scotland,wales et al) but they all have leaders within those units (scotland et al)

If in other places monarchs can rule a place (queen of England, king of zulu, oba of benin,oba of lagos, obi of onitsha, et al), why is it different when it comes to the itsekiri case?

Is it because
1. U think uvwie is part of warri? (very wrong cos uvwie is never part of warri. They r connected)
2.is it because of the claim that edjeba,ogunu,ekurede-urhobo, okere-urhobo,okumagba layout, idimi sobo, agbassa, igbudu.. r d reasons why u feel urhobo owns warri?
3. If truly urhobo owns warri.. why haven't one monarch come to lay claim to the title 'ovie of warri'

I never disputed the fact that it was once 'olu of itsekiri' but was changed to 'olu of warri'
I feel it is d right move done because
monarchs rule a place
Cc:scholes0 setaje

1 Like

Re: Warri- The Urhobos, The Itsekiris And The Ijaws : Facts And Factlets. by daxlasaint(m): 12:56am On May 02, 2015
I am making a very late submission because I wanted to hear every side before contributing my own quota of knowledge. Itsekiris are a minority who feel insecure ( no insult intended) the warri itsekiri's call ancestral home is ode itsekiri ( big warri) not the current location of warri township. Some have said a king rules a place not a people. VERY wrong! A king rules a people not a place. Nupe are a people, UVwie are a people, udu where I come from are a people. If itsekiris are claiming that the olu is the king of warri, then he has no authority over itsekiris outside warri right? Because if he does they are actually short changing them self out of despration to hold on to a land that clearly belongs to 3 ethnic nationalities. Warri is not and has never been solely owned by any one tribe. The Olu is the Olu of itsekiri because he rules the itsekiri nation not just the itsekiris of Warri.

2 Likes

Re: Warri- The Urhobos, The Itsekiris And The Ijaws : Facts And Factlets. by onuwaje(m): 2:28am On May 02, 2015
daxlasaint:
I am making a very late submission because I wanted to hear every side before contributing my own quota of knowledge. Itsekiris are a minority who feel insecure ( no insult intended) the warri itsekiri's call ancestral home is ode itsekiri ( big warri) not the current location of warri township. Some have said a king rules a place not a people. VERY wrong! A king rules a people not a place. Nupe are a people, UVwie are a people, udu where I come from are a people. If itsekiris are claiming that the olu is the king of warri, then he has no authority over itsekiris outside warri right? Because if he does they are actually short changing them self out of despration to hold on to a land that clearly belongs to 3 ethnic nationalities. Warri is not and has never been solely owned by any one tribe. The Olu is the Olu of itsekiri because he rules the itsekiri nation not just the itsekiris of Warri.

We don't feel insecure
Kings rule over people of a place
He's the olu of itsekiri no doubt but where re the itsekiri from?
Re: Warri- The Urhobos, The Itsekiris And The Ijaws : Facts And Factlets. by daxlasaint(m): 8:03am On May 02, 2015
onuwaje:

We don't feel insecure
Kings rule over people of a place
He's the olu of itsekiri no doubt but where re the itsekiri from?

The itsekiri homeland is Ode itsekiri ( big warri) not the metropolitian Warri the british created. Every idigene of itsekiri nation is buried there even if its only one of his or her fingernails. If you call him head of all itsekiris and you restrict him to Warri -because of reasons that dont look reasonably to me- are you then saying the people of Koko are not itsekiris or that the Olu has no authority over them or better still Koko is a part of warri metropolis ba?
Re: Warri- The Urhobos, The Itsekiris And The Ijaws : Facts And Factlets. by daxlasaint(m): 8:11am On May 02, 2015
The only condition for linking a royal title to a particular town is that the people of that etnic group are native to that town alone, itsekiris should not sell their cow for a bucket of milk. He is the Olu of itsekiriland not of warri. Just like the oba of Egbaland and the Orodje of Okpeland.... the truth is the truth no matter how much we try to distort it. Any civilized and progressive human being must admit facts when the lie becomes untenable.

3 Likes

Re: Warri- The Urhobos, The Itsekiris And The Ijaws : Facts And Factlets. by onuwaje(m): 10:28am On May 02, 2015
daxlasaint:

The itsekiri homeland is Ode itsekiri ( big warri) not the metropolitian Warri the british created. Every idigene of itsekiri nation is buried there even if its only one of his or her fingernails. If you call him head of all itsekiris and you restrict him to Warri -because of reasons that dont look reasonably to me- are you then saying the people of Koko are not itsekiris or that the Olu has no authority over them or better still Koko is a part of warri metropolis ba?
Bros
The title 'olu of warri' is not restricted to warri metropolitan area alone. The monarch covers all lands that belongs to itsekiri. (including warri south local government area)
Yes it is true that ode-itsekiri is d foundation of itsekiri. As regards to Wether or not 'all itsekiris re buried in ode-itsekiri is really funny because my dad was buried not in ode-itsekiri and I can proudly inform you that NOTHING was taken from his body to ode-itsekiri so pls get ur facts right.. it's just like saying since yoruba traced their beginnings to ile-ife so all yorubas shud b buried there?

2 Likes

Re: Warri- The Urhobos, The Itsekiris And The Ijaws : Facts And Factlets. by daxlasaint(m): 11:23am On May 02, 2015
onuwaje:

Bros
The title 'olu of warri' is not restricted to warri metropolitan area alone. The monarch covers all lands that belongs to itsekiri. (including warri south local government area)
Yes it is true that ode-itsekiri is d foundation of itsekiri. As regards to Wether or not 'all itsekiris re buried in ode-itsekiri is really funny because my dad was buried not in ode-itsekiri and I can proudly inform you that NOTHING was taken from his body to ode-itsekiri so pls get ur facts right.. it's just like saying since yoruba traced their beginnings to ile-ife so all yorubas shud b buried there?

During my father's time i.e the sixties and seventies... burial at ode itsekiri was normal practice... in fact my father wud say that the reasons itsekiris are so interested in warri is cos they have turned big warri to a cemetery with no more space for inhabitants. Two, if u say the Olu is the king of all itsekiris and his title is Olu of warri then u are automatically saying that itsekiri's have no landmass they call theirs other than Warri. A=b=c therefore A=c... u cant have it both ways u pple shud make up ur minds about who and where ur Olu truly belongs and rules. I still stand on my ground that warri the Olu is king of is big warri ( ode iteskiri) and not warri township.
Re: Warri- The Urhobos, The Itsekiris And The Ijaws : Facts And Factlets. by scholes0(m): 8:54pm On Jul 09, 2015
When two groups are fighting over something....
One group says it is theirs, while the other group says it is "no-man's land"
then it isn't too hard to find out who are the actual landlords.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Warri- The Urhobos, The Itsekiris And The Ijaws : Facts And Factlets. by onuwaje(m): 9:10pm On Jul 09, 2015
daxlasaint:

During my father's time i.e the sixties and seventies... burial at ode itsekiri was normal practice... in fact my father wud say that the reasons itsekiris are so interested in warri is cos they have turned big warri to a cemetery with no more space for inhabitants. Two, if u say the Olu is the king of all itsekiris and his title is Olu of warri then u are automatically saying that itsekiri's have no landmass they call theirs other than Warri. A=b=c therefore A=c... u cant have it both ways u pple shud make up ur minds about who and where ur Olu truly belongs and rules. I still stand on my ground that warri the Olu is king of is big warri ( ode iteskiri) and not warri township.
As to the burial part of ur claim it's still subject to confirmation. None of my family members have been buried there (cos that point is nonsense)

U claim warri township does not belong to the. Itsekiris how come there re more itsekiri communities in warri township?

The thought of thinking that monarch don't rule over a place (in ur own biased opinion towards d itsekiri is appalling)

Pls check ur archives well before jumping to conclusion and pls bring facts not some speculation from your dad
Re: Warri- The Urhobos, The Itsekiris And The Ijaws : Facts And Factlets. by tipcea: 2:52am On Aug 01, 2015
-No individual tribe can lay claim to warri cos their are three occupants

-the right word is olu of itsekiri cos he rules over only the itsekiris, and itsekiris are not the sole occupants of warri..therefore he can't be olu of warri

-the name of some places im warri are mutilated by the itsekiris counter part from there original form such as ojamegha tranformed to ajamumogha,udumurhobo to udumusobo etc and the later names gained popularity forgetting the original names

-itsekiris are well known for there covetousness...for those that know..how can an itsekiri person claim to be from effurun such as ugbolokosu when the real name of the place is ugbenu-ophoru. The just want to convert and control.

please be minful of them
Re: Warri- The Urhobos, The Itsekiris And The Ijaws : Facts And Factlets. by tipcea: 2:55am On Aug 01, 2015

-the right word is olu of itsekiri cos he rules over only the itsekiris, and itsekiris are not the sole occupants of warri..therefore he can't be olu of warri

-the name of some places im warri are mutilated by the itsekiris counter part from there original form such as ojamegha tranformed to ajamumogha,udumurhobo to udumusobo etc and the later names gained popularity forgetting the original names

-itsekiris are well known for there covetousness...for those that know..how can an itsekiri person claim to be from effurun such as ugbolokosu when the real name of the place is ugbenu-ophoru. The just want to convert and control.

please be minful of them
Re: Warri- The Urhobos, The Itsekiris And The Ijaws : Facts And Factlets. by scholes0(m): 6:52am On Aug 01, 2015
tipcea:

Are Yorubas the only inhabitants of Lagos?
but there is Oba of Lagos...... The key here is finding out the people who established the original town of Warri.
In general, your comments show that you have a serious inherent anti-itsekiri sentiment..... your observations should be taken only at face value.

1 Like

Re: Warri- The Urhobos, The Itsekiris And The Ijaws : Facts And Factlets. by onuwaje(m): 7:56am On Aug 01, 2015
scholes0:

but there is Oba of Lagos...... The key here is finding out the people who established the original town of Warri.
In general, your comments show that you have a serious inherent anti-itsekiri sentiment..... your observations should be taken only at face value.
Funny enough he's not even from either warri north, warri south or warri south west.. he's probably from ughelli.. allow him to spew trash

1 Like

Re: Warri- The Urhobos, The Itsekiris And The Ijaws : Facts And Factlets. by onuwaje(m): 8:05am On Aug 01, 2015
tipcea:

please be minful of them
Bro, are u from any of the 3 warri LGA? If no.. don't say nonsense pls.. cos it's really appalling that someone would say something about somewhere and he's not even from the place.

Secondly. How many tyms will u have to take corrections that monarchs rule over a place? That's why u haven't heard. Ovie of urhobo or oba of yoruba. The only exemptions which u would say concerning the okpe or benin is that benin is the name of the place. Pls take note

Hope you know that all urhobo settlements non of their leaders have ever claimed the title 'ovie of warri'?. So what do u mean itsekiris are not sole occupants?

Your. Hate for the itsekiri's is at an alarming rate. I understand. Weda or not as to the original claims of itsekiri changing names I can't say. If truly that the itsekiri's are covetous why has the olu of. Warri not laid any claim to itsekiri settlements in uvwie,okpe,edo and ondo states?
Stop spreading hate ok

1 Like

Re: Warri- The Urhobos, The Itsekiris And The Ijaws : Facts And Factlets. by daxlasaint(m): 4:33pm On Sep 08, 2015
onuwaje:

As to the burial part of ur claim it's still subject to confirmation. None of my family members have been buried there (cos that point is nonsense)

U claim warri township does not belong to the. Itsekiris how come there re more itsekiri communities in warri township?

The thought of thinking that monarch don't rule over a place (in ur own biased opinion towards d itsekiri is appalling)

Pls check ur archives well before jumping to conclusion and pls bring facts not some speculation from your dad

Even if there there are 99 itsekiri communities in warri township and just one urhobo community it does not automatically make the one comunity subject to the larger one... swaziland is completely surrounded by SA but still an independent country. As to my source, the archives exist that document the creation of warri township... But the itsekiri have convinently chosen not to acknowledge these historical records. Ethnic amnesia. Big warri is not and has never been warri township.

1 Like

Re: Warri- The Urhobos, The Itsekiris And The Ijaws : Facts And Factlets. by daxlasaint(m): 4:37pm On Sep 08, 2015
scholes0:

Ijala the projenitor of itsekiri founded ode itsekiri (BIG WARRI) NOT warri township which was created as an administrative town for the then warri devision... stop twisting facts
Re: Warri- The Urhobos, The Itsekiris And The Ijaws : Facts And Factlets. by onuwaje(m): 4:50pm On Sep 08, 2015
daxlasaint:

Even if there there are 99 itsekiri communities in warri township and just one urhobo community it does not automatically make the one comunity subject to the larger one... swaziland is completely surrounded by SA but still an independent country. As to my source, the archives exist that document the creation of warri township... But the itsekiri have convinently chosen not to acknowledge these historical records. Ethnic amnesia. Big warri is not and has never been warri township.
Outright nonsense

Are u saying swaziland owns what is SA?

Warri township was created when d British paid rents to d landlords and I can tell u they didn't pay to the urhobos

Get ur facts right

2 Likes

Re: Warri- The Urhobos, The Itsekiris And The Ijaws : Facts And Factlets. by daxlasaint(m): 5:29pm On Sep 08, 2015
onuwaje:

Outright nonsense

Are u saying swaziland owns what is SA?

Warri township was created when d British paid rents to d landlords and I can tell u they didn't pay to the urhobos

Get ur facts right

And I can tell u u just sprouted trash... are igbudu and agbassa not part of warri township or is your olu also a landlord there? If your Olu owns warri how come there are 3 kings in warri township area alone? Have u ever heard of a king that allows his sovereignty to be undermined in that manner? Having this arguement with you is an exercise in futility because if the last 50 years of this issue hasn't made istsekiri's admit the truth then I most definitely don't expect you to be reasonable either.

(1) (2) (3) ... (9) (10) (11) (12) (13) (14) (15) (Reply)

Emir Tafida Abubakar Ila Dies Hours After Hospitalisation / Common Yoruba Words Borrowed From Arabic / Alaafin of Oyo, Lamidi Adeyemi Joins His Ancestors At 83

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 81
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.