Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,596 members, 7,809,162 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 02:10 AM

Warri- The Urhobos, The Itsekiris And The Ijaws : Facts And Factlets. - Culture (13) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Warri- The Urhobos, The Itsekiris And The Ijaws : Facts And Factlets. (71972 Views)

Warri: The Urhobo/Isoko People In Entertainment And The Warri Brand / Igbele: Evil Forest Where Itsekiris Dump Corpses Of Witches, Wizards / The Isoko People Of Delta State : Facts & Factlets (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (10) (11) (12) (13) (14) (15) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Warri- The Urhobos, The Itsekiris And The Ijaws : Facts And Factlets. by onuwaje(m): 6:12pm On Sep 08, 2015
daxlasaint:

And I can tell u u just sprouted trash... are igbudu and agbassa not part of warri township or is your olu also a landlord there? If your Olu owns warri how come there are 3 kings in warri township area alone? Have u ever heard of a king that allows his sovereignty to be undermined in that manner? Having this arguement with you is an exercise in futility because if the last 50 years of this issue hasn't made istsekiri's admit the truth then I most definitely don't expect you to be reasonable either.
Convincing u is a waste of tym

I'll talk to u when u tell me u r from any community within d boundaries of "warri"
Re: Warri- The Urhobos, The Itsekiris And The Ijaws : Facts And Factlets. by Nobody: 6:47pm On Sep 08, 2015
daxlasaint:

And I can tell u u just sprouted trash... are igbudu and agbassa not part of warri township or is your olu also a landlord there? If your Olu owns warri how come there are 3 kings in warri township area alone? Have u ever heard of a king that allows his sovereignty to be undermined in that manner? Having this arguement with you is an exercise in futility because if the last 50 years of this issue hasn't made istsekiri's admit the truth then I most definitely don't expect you to be reasonable either.

it hurts seeing people fighting over nothing... Let's Just 4get about This Olu of Warri stuff, Its just a title, which refers to Lord Of All Iwerre Land, Itsekiri never Said they Own all land in Warri, D Agbasa ,e.t.c re part of Urhobo land and we admit.

Just like some1 earlier said, OBA of Lagos doesn't mean Yoruba re d only Tribe in Lagos, its just that Yoruba re d founder. same with Iwerre (warri).

I hold nothing against Urhobo Cous am more Urhobo than my tribe, let's just 4get about all these, The most important tin is Peace, Let's come together.

2 Likes

Re: Warri- The Urhobos, The Itsekiris And The Ijaws : Facts And Factlets. by macof(m): 8:53pm On Sep 08, 2015
daxlasaint:
The only condition for linking a royal title to a particular town is that the people of that etnic group are native to that town alone, itsekiris should not sell their cow for a bucket of milk. He is the Olu of itsekiriland not of warri. Just like the oba of Egbaland and the Orodje of Okpeland.... the truth is the truth no matter how much we try to distort it. Any civilized and progressive human being must admit facts when the lie becomes untenable.

The Oba of Egbaland (Alake) doesn't Rule all Egbaland, he granted rights to other settlers who have clear independence from the Alake. ...so if you use this to compare the Warri issue, we can conclude that Olu allowed settlers - The urhobo and ijaw communities in Warri Metropolis
Re: Warri- The Urhobos, The Itsekiris And The Ijaws : Facts And Factlets. by daxlasaint(m): 8:59pm On Sep 08, 2015
macof:

The Oba of Egbaland (Alake) doesn't Rule all Egbaland, he granted rights to other settlers who have clear independence from the Alake. ...so if you use this to compare the Warri issue, we can conclude that Olu allowed settlers - The urhobo and ijaw communities in Warri Metropolis
When a king grants rights to other people's the rulers of these people's pay tribute or homage to the overlord... is this the case in warri?
Re: Warri- The Urhobos, The Itsekiris And The Ijaws : Facts And Factlets. by scholes0(m): 9:05pm On Sep 08, 2015
The Original town of Warri was 100% Itsekiri land.
But because the city has gotten bigger and grown tremendiously, parts of it has expanded and spilled into the neighboring urhobo lands and local governments. Hence the Olu of Warri is a proper title, going by an historical line of thought. Other settlements that are now part of the warri metropolis might also have their own traditional rulers just like there are more kings in the lagos metropolis other than Oba Akiolu- such as the king of Ikorodu, etc, but the original historical heart of Lagos has just the Oba pf Lagos as it's prominent ruler.

Ijaws don't even have a case here. The lands that constitute Warri metropolis today is an Itsekiri-Urhobo issue
Re: Warri- The Urhobos, The Itsekiris And The Ijaws : Facts And Factlets. by macof(m): 9:13pm On Sep 08, 2015
daxlasaint:

There are many reasons why kings share their power and authority with Leaders of later settlers. .. u once spoke Egbaland
I'll bring u to the capital of Egbaland - Abeokuta where there are 4 Kings, yet Alake is known as King of Egbaland
It could be to boost the labour force and strengthen the country, or just to avoid a brutal conquest
Re: Warri- The Urhobos, The Itsekiris And The Ijaws : Facts And Factlets. by daxlasaint(m): 9:14pm On Sep 08, 2015
Goodboiyy:

it hurts seeing people fighting over nothing... Let's Just 4get about This Olu of Warri stuff, Its just a title, which refers to Lord Of All Iwerre Land, Itsekiri never Said they Own all land in Warri, D Agbasa ,e.t.c re part of Urhobo land and we admit.

Just like some1 earlier said, OBA of Lagos doesn't mean Yoruba re d only Tribe in Lagos, its just that Yoruba re d founder. same with Iwerre (warri).

I hold nothing against Urhobo Cous am more Urhobo than my tribe, let's just 4get about all these, The most important tin is Peace, Let's come together.

BTW u just made my point... he's the Olu of Ikwerreland, areas that compise but not limited to parts of warri township... it is possible for more than one ethnic group to be indigenous to a particular ethnic area is it not...? So why is it so hard to accept that the itsekiri donot own every part of warri township?
Re: Warri- The Urhobos, The Itsekiris And The Ijaws : Facts And Factlets. by daxlasaint(m): 9:16pm On Sep 08, 2015
macof:

There are many reasons why kings share their power and authority with Leaders of later settlers. .. u once spoke Egbaland
I'll bring u to the capital of Egbaland - Abeokuta where there are 4 Kings, yet Alake is known as King of Egbaland
It could be to boost the labour force and strengthen the country, or just to avoid a brutal conquest

But in the case of the Egbas these assimilated kings pay homage and tribute to the Alake as their overlord... can u say the same is the case with the Olu?
Re: Warri- The Urhobos, The Itsekiris And The Ijaws : Facts And Factlets. by scholes0(m): 9:20pm On Sep 08, 2015
daxlasaint:

But in the case of the Egbas these assimilated kings pay homage and tribute to the Alake as their overlord... can u say the same is the case with the Olu?

Are the non Itsekiri parts of Warri part of the Warri South local government?
If it is part of the Udu or Uvwie LGA, then it does not belong to historical warri.
Re: Warri- The Urhobos, The Itsekiris And The Ijaws : Facts And Factlets. by daxlasaint(m): 9:20pm On Sep 08, 2015
scholes0:
The Original town of Warri was 100% Itsekiri land.
But because the city has gotten bigger and grown tremendiously, parts of it has expanded and spilled into the neighboring urhobo lands and local governments. Hence the Olu of Warri is a proper title, going by an historical line of thought. Other settlements that are now part of the warri metropolis might also have their own traditional rulers just like there are more kings in the lagos metropolis other than Oba Akiolu- such as the king of Ikorodu, etc, but the original historical heart of Lagos has just the Oba pf Lagos as it's prominent ruler.

Ijaws don't even have a case here. The lands that constitute Warri metropolis today is an Itsekiri-Urhobo issue

First off, ikorodu is an entirely different town and sub ethnic group from lagos... so ur arguement there doesn't hold water. Secondly, even the original plan for Warri TOWNSHIP recognised the boundaries btween the ethnic groups that owned the lands therein... so your arguement about expansion is again baseless
Re: Warri- The Urhobos, The Itsekiris And The Ijaws : Facts And Factlets. by macof(m): 9:21pm On Sep 08, 2015
Goodboiyy:

grin ;Dyou obviously have both urhobo and Itsekiri blood. ..you no wan choose one side
Re: Warri- The Urhobos, The Itsekiris And The Ijaws : Facts And Factlets. by daxlasaint(m): 9:22pm On Sep 08, 2015
scholes0:

Are the non Itsekiri parts of Warri part of the Warri South local government?
If it is part of the Udu or Uvwie LGA, then it does not belong to historical warri.

This is not what we are argueing about
Re: Warri- The Urhobos, The Itsekiris And The Ijaws : Facts And Factlets. by scholes0(m): 9:27pm On Sep 08, 2015
daxlasaint:

First off, ikorodu is an entirely different town and sub ethnic group from lagos... so ur arguement there doesn't hold water. Secondly, even the original plan for Warri TOWNSHIP recognised the boundaries btween the ethnic groups that owned the lands therein... so your arguement about expansion is again baseless

Don't be silly. The Historical heart of Warri township was the Itsekiri portions, before it spread further east, north and south due to growth. An airport was constructed in Osubi for example, in an area that was never part of historical warri township. Petroleum facilities were located in Effurun, again an area that was never part of actual warri. All these new developments encouraged the settlement of more people (mostly migrants) in these newly developed areas. are you getting the drift?
Expansion to the west was more limited due to the marshy nature of the lads west of warri.

Three local governments make up the Warri metropolitan area today, and here they are.

Re: Warri- The Urhobos, The Itsekiris And The Ijaws : Facts And Factlets. by macof(m): 9:41pm On Sep 08, 2015
daxlasaint:

No, they are independent and work together to move Egbaland forward. think of it as cooperative governance over their people. ..the 4 groups look to their own kings
But the land really belongs to the Ake people

You know the problem with warri is that the battling groups speak different languages

You fail to realize that Iwere is the native name of Warri(all 3 Lga) and this land area is of mass far above the metropolitan city of warri....blame the Europeans for the confusion

The solution can only lay in truth. ...finding out the history of the various communities in the city and probably breaking it up if push comes to shove

1 Like

Re: Warri- The Urhobos, The Itsekiris And The Ijaws : Facts And Factlets. by Nobody: 9:51pm On Sep 08, 2015
macof:

grin ;Dyou obviously have both urhobo and Itsekiri blood. ..you no wan choose one side

Lolz if I go choose na Urhobo oo, Urhobo gave me life, They made me who I am today, soon I will be getting married to 1 Urhobo Chick (to Compensate my mom).

But I luv itsekiri too, I really 8 d silent fight going on b/w both tribe, we re all 1... This Olu Of Warri issue na issue wen we go table ourselves, Na innocent lives lost put tat yr ,, d problem is that most Urhobo do not understand the motive behind that Title.

Abeg join me make we unite both tribe, let's do d little we can.... Asappp

2 Likes

Re: Warri- The Urhobos, The Itsekiris And The Ijaws : Facts And Factlets. by scholes0(m): 9:54pm On Sep 08, 2015
Goodboiyy:

Lolz if I go choose na Urhobo oo, Urhobo gave me life, They made me who I am today, soon I will be getting married to 1 Urhobo Chick (to Compensate my mom).

But I luv itsekiri too, I really 8 d silent fight going on b/w both tribe, we re all 1... This Olu Of Warri issue na issue wen we go table ourselves, Na innocent lives lost put tat yr ,, d problem is that most Urhobo do not understand the motive behind that Title.

Abeg join me make we unite both tribe, let's do d little we can.... Asappp

The Urhobos are the majority in Warri, and in fact Delta South and Central.
If Itsekiris do not keep their culture and language insular, it will be swallowed up in the long run.

You for example, after you marry that urhobo chick, your kids will probably end up speaking Pidgin English and Urhobo.
More potential Itsekiri kids lost to the urhobo line.

My advice is that the government come and do a proper delineation of the city, so that everyone can know their areas.
Warri North, Warri South West and Warri South are Itsekiri, the problem is the Warri township.

2 Likes

Re: Warri- The Urhobos, The Itsekiris And The Ijaws : Facts And Factlets. by Nobody: 10:10pm On Sep 08, 2015
daxlasaint:

BTW u just made my point... he's the Olu of Ikwerreland, areas that compise but not limited to parts of warri township... it is possible for more than one ethnic group to be indigenous to a particular ethnic area is it not...? So why is it so hard to accept that the itsekiri donot own every part of warri township?

Did we say we own warry Township ? nah nah na,

the problem on ground here is tat u fail to understand something, Warri is used to refer to Itsekiri , Cous it was derived from Iwerre, So If our king is Called Olu of Warri how does that mean Itsekiri Owns everywhere ?

u fail to understand us
Re: Warri- The Urhobos, The Itsekiris And The Ijaws : Facts And Factlets. by daxlasaint(m): 10:16pm On Sep 08, 2015
macof:

No, they are independent and work together to move Egbaland forward. think of it as cooperative governance over their people. ..the 4 groups look to their own kings
But the land really belongs to the Ake people

You know the problem with warri is that the battling groups speak different languages

You fail to realize that Iwere is the native name of Warri(all 3 Lga) and this land area is of mass far above the metropolitan city of warri....blame the Europeans for the confusion

The solution can only lay in truth. ...finding out the history of the various communities in the city and probably breaking it up if push comes to shove
the traditional name(s) of warri TOWNSHIP is the names of the various communities that make up the areas that became warri township... this township was a planned city not along natural historical boundaries... The Iwerre you are talking about is Ode Itsekiri... Even the itsekiri communities in warri township had and still have their own names before warri was created... your namesake is not you... You can't claim a place simply cos it bears the same name as yours. And as to the issue of Egbaland, u are wrong... I have lived with Yorubas for more than 10 yrs and I know for certain that Obas granted lands in foreign lands pay homage to their overlords... Even the Oba of Benin recieves homage from more than a few urhobo kings by virtue of desent.
Re: Warri- The Urhobos, The Itsekiris And The Ijaws : Facts And Factlets. by daxlasaint(m): 10:19pm On Sep 08, 2015
Goodboiyy:

Did we say we own warry Township ? nah nah na,

the problem on ground here is tat u fail to understand something, Warri is used to refer to Itsekiri , Cous it was derived from Iwerre, So If our king is Called Olu of Warri how does that mean Itsekiri Owns everywhere ?

u fail to understand us

You obviously are enlightened enough to see what I mean but most other itsekiri on this thread have insisted on absolute ownership of warri township... my brother you and me are on the same page and saying almost the same thing
Re: Warri- The Urhobos, The Itsekiris And The Ijaws : Facts And Factlets. by daxlasaint(m): 10:24pm On Sep 08, 2015
scholes0:

Don't be silly. The Historical heart of Warri township was the Itsekiri portions, before it spread further east, north and south due to growth. An airport was constructed in Osubi for example, in an area that was never part of historical warri township. Petroleum facilities were located in Effurun, again an area that was never part of actual warri. All these new developments encouraged the settlement of more people (mostly migrants) in these newly developed areas. are you getting the drift?
Expansion to the west was more limited due to the marshy nature of the lads west of warri.

Three local governments make up the Warri metropolitan area today, and here they are.

All those areas you have mentioned are Uwvie and have never and will never be warri except in a general sense of the word.

Agbassa and igbudu are IN the hrt of warri township... are they historically Itsekiri land? I know you would say yes... so I will go further to ask, if they weren't historically owners of their land why did the british sign treaties with them as aboriginal people's of the area same period they signed with the itsekiris?

1 Like

Re: Warri- The Urhobos, The Itsekiris And The Ijaws : Facts And Factlets. by Nobody: 10:27pm On Sep 08, 2015
scholes0:

The Urhobos are the majority in Warri, and in fact Delta South and Central.
If Itsekiris do not keep their culture and language insular, it will be swallowed up in the long run.

You for example, after you marry that urhobo chick, your kids will probably end up speaking Pidgin English and Urhobo.
More potential Itsekiri kids lost to the urhobo line.

My advice is that the government come and do a proper delineation of the city, so that everyone can know their areas.
Warri North, Warri South West and Warri South are Itsekiri, the problem is the Warri township.

Bro, The problem here is tat Effurun, Ekpan , Osubi re nt part of Warri, na because of the warri influence na make people they tag that place Warri, So wen we say Olu Of Warri those Niggas from Ekpan e.tc go they vex.

but The warri township re mostly URHOBo/ itsekiri .
maybe 60/40 or 50/50

1 Like

Re: Warri- The Urhobos, The Itsekiris And The Ijaws : Facts And Factlets. by Nobody: 10:32pm On Sep 08, 2015
daxlasaint:

You obviously are enlightened enough to see what I mean but most other itsekiri on this thread have insisted on absolute ownership of warri township... my brother you and me are on the same page and saying almost the same thing

hope ur question have been answered ? ?

bro we suppose to they preach luv and unity 4 NL, am tired of arguing abt who owns warri or who don't , all I want is peace, Don't know abt u
Re: Warri- The Urhobos, The Itsekiris And The Ijaws : Facts And Factlets. by macof(m): 10:59pm On Sep 08, 2015
daxlasaint:
the traditional name(s) of warri TOWNSHIP is the names of the various communities that make up the areas that became warri township... this township was a planned city not along natural historical boundaries... The Iwerre you are talking about is Ode Itsekiri... Even the itsekiri communities in warri township had and still have their own names before warri was created... your namesake is not you... You can't claim a place simply cos it bears the same name as yours. And as to the issue of Egbaland, u are wrong... I have lived with Yorubas for more than 10 yrs and I know for certain that Obas granted lands in foreign lands pay homage to their overlords... Even the Oba of Benin recieves homage from more than a few urhobo kings by virtue of desent.

gringrin is ode - Itsekiri part of the warri you are fighting for ? why would I be talking of only ode - Itsekiri? Am talking of the entire land that belongs to Itsekiri - Which includes parts(or originally all) of Warri city.

Like I said blame the Europeans for the confusion.
Today land that probably never belong to Itsekiri is part of Warri Metropolis but that doesn't stop the Olu from being King of Warri(just another name for Iwere)...urhobo know their territory and can continue living comfortably

There's difference between Warri Metropolis and Warri Kingdom

grin grin you are telling me Olowu pays homage to Alake? Olowu who expanded the Egba nation? Oga there's no homage paying in Abeokuta. ..all the kings control their own respective people

1 Like

Re: Warri- The Urhobos, The Itsekiris And The Ijaws : Facts And Factlets. by macof(m): 12:31am On Sep 09, 2015
Goodboiyy:

Bro, The problem here is tat Effurun, Ekpan , Osubi re nt part of Warri, na because of the warri influence na make people they tag that place Warri, So wen we say Olu Of Warri those Niggas from Ekpan e.tc go they vex.

but The warri township re mostly URHOBo/ itsekiri .
maybe 60/40 or 50/50

Exactly! Just confusion. actually, nobody seems to be claiming another person's land
Re: Warri- The Urhobos, The Itsekiris And The Ijaws : Facts And Factlets. by daxlasaint(m): 11:22am On Sep 11, 2015
Goodboiyy:

hope ur question have been answered ? ?

bro we suppose to they preach luv and unity 4 NL, am tired of arguing abt who owns warri or who don't , all I want is peace, Don't know abt u

And ii for one want peace, but we must never be afraid to speak the truth even if the cost is peace.

1 Like

Re: Warri- The Urhobos, The Itsekiris And The Ijaws : Facts And Factlets. by otokx(m): 5:26am On Sep 13, 2015
After all this yarn and misyarn Warri is still underdeveloped.
Re: Warri- The Urhobos, The Itsekiris And The Ijaws : Facts And Factlets. by onuwaje(m): 9:10am On Sep 13, 2015
otokx:
After all this yarn and misyarn Warri is still underdeveloped.

E develop pass some state capitals

1 Like

Re: Warri- The Urhobos, The Itsekiris And The Ijaws : Facts And Factlets. by AmazingDude(m): 8:43am On Oct 12, 2015
abraka00:
I speak authoritatively. Warri belongs to the Urhobos as pronounced by the supreme court. Again, the title 'olu of warri' will cease to exist after the reign of this present olu. It shall be reverted to 'olu of itsekiri'.
How far? Go change am na.... LOLZZZZ....You wan get problem for the State?
Re: Warri- The Urhobos, The Itsekiris And The Ijaws : Facts And Factlets. by abraka00(f): 1:26pm On Oct 13, 2015
AmazingDude:

How far? Go change am na.... LOLZZZZ....You wan get problem for the State?
Just wait and see.

1 Like

Re: Warri- The Urhobos, The Itsekiris And The Ijaws : Facts And Factlets. by mynameisdez: 6:34pm On Oct 14, 2015
Does anybody know how to speak Ijaw?
Re: Warri- The Urhobos, The Itsekiris And The Ijaws : Facts And Factlets. by debinile(m): 12:52am On Oct 16, 2015
Where did you get those wrong write up from, they re totally wrong. The Itsekiris own Warri, the urhobo and ijaws migrated from near by town.Right from the time warri was formed about 600 -700 years ago the urhobos were still in Benin, all the Olu's of Warri as been Itsekiri till date. Stop misleading people. All land cases in Warri as been won by the Itsekiri so how come Ijaws and the Urhobos are from Warri? I have facts but I dont want to cause any arms here.
Re: Warri- The Urhobos, The Itsekiris And The Ijaws : Facts And Factlets. by daxlasaint(m): 8:37am On Oct 16, 2015
debinile:
Where did you get those wrong write up from, they re totally wrong. The Itsekiris own Warri, the urhobo and ijaws migrated from near by town.Right from the time warri was formed about 600 -700 years ago the urhobos were still in Benin, all the Olu's of Warri as been Itsekiri till date. Stop misleading people. All land cases in Warri as been won by the Itsekiri so how come Ijaws and the Urhobos are from Warri? I have facts but I dont want to cause any arms here.
*clears throat*
Chairman abeg nor relight fire when we don already nearly quench here ehn... just patiently take your time read the whole thread, then take off your myopic stance eye glasses and actually read an history of warri that's not written by or in favour of the itsekiris... God bless you as you comply smiley

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) ... (10) (11) (12) (13) (14) (15) (Reply)

Ogun Lockdown: Masquerade Arrested, Cries After Ignoring Sit-At-Home Order / Oluwo Of Iwo And Queen Firdaus Step Out Together For The First Time (Pics) / Nigerian Lady With Tribal Marks Almost Committed Suicide (Photos)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 81
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.