Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,675 members, 7,816,777 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 04:51 PM

Warri- The Urhobos, The Itsekiris And The Ijaws : Facts And Factlets. - Culture (6) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Warri- The Urhobos, The Itsekiris And The Ijaws : Facts And Factlets. (72075 Views)

Warri: The Urhobo/Isoko People In Entertainment And The Warri Brand / Igbele: Evil Forest Where Itsekiris Dump Corpses Of Witches, Wizards / The Isoko People Of Delta State : Facts & Factlets (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (15) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Warri- The Urhobos, The Itsekiris And The Ijaws : Facts And Factlets. by Nobody: 7:38pm On Feb 15, 2015
tammie24:
How can u say warri is No Man's Land?
This is a calculated statement owing to the fact that all the tribes in Warri Axis are migrants. I am also avoiding stating or implying that Warri belongs to any ethnic group. That part is left for you, the reader, to answer.
Re: Warri- The Urhobos, The Itsekiris And The Ijaws : Facts And Factlets. by Akposkool(m): 7:47pm On Feb 15, 2015
the itsekiri does.no question about that. others might have populated d land But d itsekiris are d father's of warri

2 Likes

Re: Warri- The Urhobos, The Itsekiris And The Ijaws : Facts And Factlets. by OrlandoOwoh(m): 7:50pm On Feb 15, 2015
Warri is owned by the Itsekiri, not the Urhobo nor the Ijaw, though the Ijaw and the Itsekiri share Warri South West LGA, Delta State.

2 Likes

Re: Warri- The Urhobos, The Itsekiris And The Ijaws : Facts And Factlets. by dennismukoro(m): 7:52pm On Feb 15, 2015
ogorkojo:

Abeg SAPELE na WARRI?
big nooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo
Re: Warri- The Urhobos, The Itsekiris And The Ijaws : Facts And Factlets. by ogele: 7:55pm On Feb 15, 2015
Ipledge:
Ogedengbe primary school in warri? shocked
yes in Warri that was where I school with Wilsom Oruma
Re: Warri- The Urhobos, The Itsekiris And The Ijaws : Facts And Factlets. by OrlandoOwoh(m): 7:58pm On Feb 15, 2015
eterisan:

is koko in warri south?
U de talk with warri born n brought up. it is a fact dat in warri metropolis urhobo owns most of the land
Itsekiri owns Warri, Urhobo owns Effurun. From, say, Ogbe Ijow down to Enerhen Junction is part of Warri. From there, Urhobo College are parts of Effurun. An Urhobo man here will never permit you to erect a signboard that carries the name, Warri. I've never seen an Urhobo man say they own Warri.
Re: Warri- The Urhobos, The Itsekiris And The Ijaws : Facts And Factlets. by Nobody: 8:03pm On Feb 15, 2015
My brother, I have always been an advocate of peaceful resolution. It is a matter that need to be addressed with all sincerity and open heart. No matter is too big to be resolved.
literarymathy:

This is why I like the Ijaw people. smiley

Anyway, I thank God you are helping me fulfil the reason for this thread. How can this issue end? Because no matter how peaceful things seem to be, this issue will eventually come up later on until it is thrashed once and for all. Let us all suggest how things can be solved peacefully instead of reliving on what has happened. . Thanks.
Re: Warri- The Urhobos, The Itsekiris And The Ijaws : Facts And Factlets. by Nobody: 8:08pm On Feb 15, 2015
ogele:
yes in Warri that was where I school with Wilsom Oruma
i don't know ijesa warrior is that popular
Re: Warri- The Urhobos, The Itsekiris And The Ijaws : Facts And Factlets. by litetias(m): 8:08pm On Feb 15, 2015
jorlons:

From your assertion, the population of the itsekiris will be around 10 - 90 thousand. Lets assume the urhobos are up to 9million.

O boy I tire 4 ur lie O
I'm employing hyperbole to stress that the Itshekiri population is not up to a quarter of the Urhobos
Re: Warri- The Urhobos, The Itsekiris And The Ijaws : Facts And Factlets. by Nobody: 8:11pm On Feb 15, 2015
ILIDEFI:

You are Ijaw? Like seriously? So how come u hate GEJ with passion?
On the contrary I don't hate Jonathan. I'm only disappointed in him
Re: Warri- The Urhobos, The Itsekiris And The Ijaws : Facts And Factlets. by M4gunners: 8:13pm On Feb 15, 2015
Make una bon matter Waffi na for 3 of them. Yanga dey sleep trouble dey go wake am.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Warri- The Urhobos, The Itsekiris And The Ijaws : Facts And Factlets. by cutieberie1(f): 8:14pm On Feb 15, 2015
OrlandoOwoh:

Itsekiri owns Warri, Urhobo owns Effurun. From, say, Ogbe Ijow down to Enerhen Junction is part of Warri. From there, Urhobo College are parts of Effurun. An Urhobo man here will never permit you to erect a signboard that carries the name, Warri. I've never seen an Urhobo man say they own Warri.

i support...thats y we hv olu of warri 4 itsekiris...ovie of uvwie/effurun 4 urhobos...delta z divided into dose 3 tribes..
Re: Warri- The Urhobos, The Itsekiris And The Ijaws : Facts And Factlets. by InvertedHammer: 8:21pm On Feb 15, 2015
/
Does it matter?

\
Re: Warri- The Urhobos, The Itsekiris And The Ijaws : Facts And Factlets. by jorlons(m): 8:22pm On Feb 15, 2015
litetias:

I'm employing hyperbole to stress that the Itshekiri population is not up to a quarter of the Urhobos

Although the urhobos have a large population, it can't be as you've stated.

Check am na.
Re: Warri- The Urhobos, The Itsekiris And The Ijaws : Facts And Factlets. by Sibrah: 8:23pm On Feb 15, 2015
- When the colonial NCNC and the Action Group party was formed, the Itsekiris embraced the AG while the Urhobos embraced NCNC. Awolowo punished the Urhobos for this by placing the Itsekiri monarch above all the Urhobo monarchs. Awo also changed the traditional title of the Olu of Itsekiri to the Olu of Warri and moved their traditional island of Ode-Itsekiri to mainland Warri. This led to a series of protests by the Urhobos and Ijaws. This period also marked the beginning of Urhobo nationalism led by the great Mukoro Mowoe, M.G. Ejaife and others. However, the change was already gazetted and little could be done about it. Another bad blood was spilt.
Small small oh!

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Warri- The Urhobos, The Itsekiris And The Ijaws : Facts And Factlets. by Nobody: 8:29pm On Feb 15, 2015
Ishilove:

Please go and do more research! How is Delta generally Urhobo populated? angry That's a fallacy
ishibaby!
Re: Warri- The Urhobos, The Itsekiris And The Ijaws : Facts And Factlets. by HopeAtHand: 8:30pm On Feb 15, 2015
barcanista:
Op thank you. Well, I'm Ijaw frm Rivers State, this issue of Warri affects me so much because I have my brothers and sisters there. Well, I wouldn't want to go into any argument but I have to correct one impression. According to we the Ijaws, the word Warri originated from the Ijaw word "Wari" which means house. The Iwere stuff of the Itsekiri is unacceptable to us, and that is it.
The Itsekiris are more educated and the British favored them, the Oil Companies also favored them against the Ijaws. What is keeping the Ijaws today is Almighty God and our zeal to defend ourselves against every odd. The issue of Warri is a very special one, and I believe a roundtable discussion should be convoked to solve every grey area once and for all. However, the Ijaws will not seek to take what is not theirs and will not lose an inch of what belongs to them. God bless us all

You have deliberately sided with Ijaws because ure from Okrika.

Let Warri peeps sort themselves, concern yourself with Your 4wards in PH.

2 Likes

Re: Warri- The Urhobos, The Itsekiris And The Ijaws : Facts And Factlets. by RatandBot(m): 8:45pm On Feb 15, 2015
Akposkool:
the itsekiri does.no question about that. others might have populated d land But d itsekiris are d father's of warri
dennismukoro:
big nooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo

Your urhobo brother don talk am....Urhobi doesn't own warri.
Re: Warri- The Urhobos, The Itsekiris And The Ijaws : Facts And Factlets. by RatandBot(m): 8:46pm On Feb 15, 2015
OrlandoOwoh:

Thank you bro for this enlightenment
Re: Warri- The Urhobos, The Itsekiris And The Ijaws : Facts And Factlets. by RatandBot(m): 8:47pm On Feb 15, 2015
HopeAtHand:

You have deliberately sided with Ijaws because ure from Okrika.

Niger Delta Republic is dead on arrival, it exists only in the wet dreams of Ijaws and their affiliates.

Let Warri peeps sort themselves, concern yourself with Your 4wards in PH.

Nor mind all these ijaw militants....
Re: Warri- The Urhobos, The Itsekiris And The Ijaws : Facts And Factlets. by RatandBot(m): 8:52pm On Feb 15, 2015
Crownofwealth:
mush room communities made up of like 500 pple. are wot u call communty?
they are like Israelites in delta state. They are more relevant in Delta politics than your so call Urhobo. Why did Jonathan and Buhari visit Olu of Warri and not your Ovie? Hate on them but they lord over you. They own more of delta's crude than Urhobo.

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Warri- The Urhobos, The Itsekiris And The Ijaws : Facts And Factlets. by RatandBot(m): 8:53pm On Feb 15, 2015
litetias:

Who is arguing population here? Read the title again bros
Re: Warri- The Urhobos, The Itsekiris And The Ijaws : Facts And Factlets. by AKPOSbaba: 8:56pm On Feb 15, 2015
Rapmoney:
Op, nor let Area!!! Catch u o! grin
On a serious note, you very WRONG that Warri is a 'no man's land'!!! Warri, historically, belong to the Itsekiris. Where do you think names like Giwa-Amu, Giniwa, Pesu and the likes came from? The Itsekiris lost a greater part of their lands due to inter-ethnic conflicts with the Ijaws and Urhobos. When I was in secondary school, we took 'Itsekiri' as our local language!!! Today, you won't find that! And am talking of Warri-South Local Government Area which the Urhobos are claiming ownership of. This led to to many tribal wars in 1992, 1993, 1996, 1999 and 2000. Any one who witnessed the crises will definitely know what I mean.

Were do u think Giwa-Amu,giniwa came from?
Ok listen
Were do u think Edjeba,Essi came from?
If na so,d Urhobo have d claim too.
Talk d one you know

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Warri- The Urhobos, The Itsekiris And The Ijaws : Facts And Factlets. by RatandBot(m): 9:02pm On Feb 15, 2015
AKPOSbaba:

Were do u think Giwa-Amu,giniwa came from?
Ok listen
Were do u think Edjeba,Essi came from?
If na so,d Urhobo have d claim too.
Talk d one you know
Giwa-Amu na urhobo word? Lol
Re: Warri- The Urhobos, The Itsekiris And The Ijaws : Facts And Factlets. by AreaFada2: 9:05pm On Feb 15, 2015
onuwaje:
if it's Olu of itsekiri as u said..
Den we shud av ovie of urhobo and queen of english...
You shud nt forget that mornachs rule a place
The itsekiris are from warri and therefore u name d mornach after the place he rules..

Actually, historically he's right. It used to be Olu of Itsekhiri.
Awolowo changed it to Olu of Warri. The Urhobos in particular protested.

It was only settled when Urhobo suggestion was adopted. That is to change Warri Province to Delta Province in Western Region.

Still, non-Itsekhiris consider the title a mere titular one.

The title Ogiame is historically more important. That was the title Oba Olua of Benin (his father) gave Prince Ginuwa when he left Benin.

Ogiame = Lord/Ruler of the seas. To designate the costal area he was to rule over.

Maybe you're aware how Itsekhiri royals and chiefs like Rita Lori Ogbebor strongly opposed the Olu's desire to remove "Ogiame" from his title just about two years ago.

I consider the Olu as my kin as we're from the same lineage. So, I'm just trying not to be biased towards any side but say how we learnt it in recent history.

3 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Warri- The Urhobos, The Itsekiris And The Ijaws : Facts And Factlets. by Ishilove: 9:07pm On Feb 15, 2015
stardragon:

ishibaby!
Yels?
Re: Warri- The Urhobos, The Itsekiris And The Ijaws : Facts And Factlets. by Ishilove: 9:09pm On Feb 15, 2015
barcanista:
On the contrary I don't hate Jonathan. I'm only disappointed in him
You're ijaw? Always thought you're Yoruba
Re: Warri- The Urhobos, The Itsekiris And The Ijaws : Facts And Factlets. by Nobody: 9:15pm On Feb 15, 2015
Ishilove:

You're ijaw? Always thought you're Yoruba
I'm Ijaw, romantic and single. How do we meet? grin
Re: Warri- The Urhobos, The Itsekiris And The Ijaws : Facts And Factlets. by Revolva(m): 9:15pm On Feb 15, 2015
Ask omawunmi...the itsekiri singer...if u ask me...na who I go ask...paararaa!!!
Re: Warri- The Urhobos, The Itsekiris And The Ijaws : Facts And Factlets. by Nobody: 9:18pm On Feb 15, 2015
mifavour:

ask him
kk how was ur day love
Re: Warri- The Urhobos, The Itsekiris And The Ijaws : Facts And Factlets. by Iriruaga100(m): 9:26pm On Feb 15, 2015
This thread is an educative one. The itsekiris are known land grabbers nd its a fact that is well documented. The present day ajaminogha nd esisi were given to the itsekiris by okumagba to settle nd farm on when they migrated to the area. After many years of farming in the land the itsekiris claimed ownership of the land through the help of the british govt. The urhobos own 90% of warri south.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Warri- The Urhobos, The Itsekiris And The Ijaws : Facts And Factlets. by omasco92(m): 9:31pm On Feb 15, 2015
Population strength of Itsekiri in Warri 1963 Census Figures (with Ethnic classification)

* Itsekiri 92,711 64
* Ijaw in 3 enclaves 20,702 14
* Urhobo of Agbassa 2,000 1.4
* Other Urhobo, Edo, etc 29,167 20
145,060 100

itsekirileadersofthought.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=46&Itemid=133

2 Likes 1 Share

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (15) (Reply)

Nigerian Lady With Tribal Marks Almost Committed Suicide (Photos) / The Returned Oba’s Staff is Fake - Royal Prince Calls Out Oba Of Lagos (Video) / Common Yoruba Words Borrowed From Arabic

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 41
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.