Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,732 members, 7,817,014 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 11:01 PM

Warri- The Urhobos, The Itsekiris And The Ijaws : Facts And Factlets. - Culture (8) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Warri- The Urhobos, The Itsekiris And The Ijaws : Facts And Factlets. (72089 Views)

Warri: The Urhobo/Isoko People In Entertainment And The Warri Brand / Igbele: Evil Forest Where Itsekiris Dump Corpses Of Witches, Wizards / The Isoko People Of Delta State : Facts & Factlets (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) ... (15) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Warri- The Urhobos, The Itsekiris And The Ijaws : Facts And Factlets. by AmazingDude(m): 11:04pm On Feb 15, 2015
Re: Warri- The Urhobos, The Itsekiris And The Ijaws : Facts And Factlets. by AmazingDude(m): 11:07pm On Feb 15, 2015
Re: Warri- The Urhobos, The Itsekiris And The Ijaws : Facts And Factlets. by eterisan(m): 11:15pm On Feb 15, 2015
OrlandoOwoh:

Itsekiri owns Warri, Urhobo owns Effurun. From, say, Ogbe Ijow down to Enerhen Junction is part of Warri. From there, Urhobo College are parts of Effurun. An Urhobo man here will never permit you to erect a signboard that carries the name, Warri. I've never seen an Urhobo man say they own Warri.
The fact that the title Olu of warri is a disputed one tells the whole story i dont need to say much. blik u de forget say iwere children get boundary for warri de fit dance awankere pass okere market? abi u de forget say ovie of okere urhobo kingdom dey? As the op rightly puts it the itsekiri's were the first to have contact with white men in warri and also had the support of awolowo thus they used sense for the other two tribes! this is why it seems they have the edge politically.

1 Like

Re: Warri- The Urhobos, The Itsekiris And The Ijaws : Facts And Factlets. by Miscellaneous(m): 11:21pm On Feb 15, 2015
abraka00:
I speak authoritatively. Warri belongs to the Urhobos as pronounced by the supreme court. Again, the title 'olu of warri' will cease to exist after the reign of this present olu. It shall be reverted to 'olu of itsekiri'.

if not that I just prayed, I would have said u are a daft. How can u say the urhobos own warri? Are u joking? I have never heard urhobos argue about ownership of warri cos they know they don't own it!! That case u talk about court was the okumagba(urhobo) family who claimed an itsekiri land … because it's impossible for one family(okumagba) to live around itsekiri……… how come? Although they won the court case ……… check history & wikipedia…… Had it been the urhobos are in the position where the itsekiris are presently & historically, it will be glaring they own warri due to their population but because the itsekiris are small, the ijaws & urhobos are taking their benevolence & advantage for granted! And I heard you saying after this olu it will be reverted to "olu of itsekiri"? Iffa hear am…… except u wanna bring war. It's like saying the ijaws should release all itsekiri land they claimed ….. I beg to insult you, U ARE A DAFT!! … . Very annoying…… the itsekiris own warri.... history said so .... read between the lines. The ijaws should say what u said above(the itsekiris would accept it cos ijaws somehow live in warri right from time although not justified) but an urhobo! Abeg commot here … go read history before u post rubbish to incite crisis …… shit!

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Warri- The Urhobos, The Itsekiris And The Ijaws : Facts And Factlets. by dennismukoro(m): 11:30pm On Feb 15, 2015
Miscellaneous:

if not that I just prayed, I would have said u are a daft. How can u say the urhobos own warri? Are u joking? I have never heard urhobos argue about ownership of warri cos they know they don't own it!! That case u talk about court was the okumagba(urhobo) family who claimed an itsekiri land … because it's impossible for one family(okumagba) to live around itsekiri……… how come? Although they won the court case ……… check history & wikipedia…… Had it been the urhobos are in the position where the itsekiris are presently & historically, it will be glaring they own warri due to their population but because the itsekiris are small, the ijaws & urhobos are taking their benevolence & advantage for granted! And I heard you saying after this olu it will be reverted to "olu of itsekiri"? Iffa hear am…… except u wanna bring war. It's like saying the ijaws should release all itsekiri land they claimed ….. I beg to insult you, U ARE A DAFT!! … . Very annoying…… the itsekiris own warri.... history said so .... read between the lines. The ijaws should say what u said above(the itsekiris would accept it cos ijaws somehow live in warri right from time although not justified) but an urhobo! Abeg commot here … go read history before u post rubbish to incite crisis …… shit!
SENSELESS..... EVERYBODY HAVE IS BOUNDARY. UR KING IS THE OLU OF ITSEKIRI NOT WARRI PERIOD. STOP CLAIMING LAND BECOS U LEAVE AT THE BANK OF THE RIVER

3 Likes

Re: Warri- The Urhobos, The Itsekiris And The Ijaws : Facts And Factlets. by Miscellaneous(m): 11:37pm On Feb 15, 2015
dennismukoro:
SENSELESS..... EVERYBODY HAVE IS BOUNDARY. UR KING IS THE OLU OF ITSEKIRI NOT WARRI PERIOD. STOP CLAIMING LAND BECOS U LEAVE AT THE BANK OF THE RIVER

In a bid to steal, u forgot education is the key…… that's why itsekiris are always at the top…… hail IWERRE KINGDOM. Minority with God is majority……… itsekiris are like the israelites……

Read the below post… especially 3 & 4.

joetons:
As much as you mentioned some facts in you
Story, you missed up most facts particularly on warri south west local govt. the original headquarter was Ogidigben,this you can still confirm from federal govt. gazette. It was never changed at the federal level. It was col. Dungs d military administrator that changed it. This was corrected which led to war. It was ibori who reversed it please the I jaw to create peace as they had so much weapons of war. Please take note if this.
Two: it was a lie that AG changed the title. It has always been before the interregnum when there was no king for a period of time. It was when a king was to be restored with the title that the urhobo kicked against it because the then warri province was a big territory covering major areas of the urhobo land much more than what it is today.
Three: A title is never named after a tribe but a kingdom. You don't have oba of Yoruba, oba of edo , obi of ibo or Olu of Itsekiri. It is always after a kingdom, oba of Benin or Lagos, ONI of ife, emir of Kano not not Hausa so also you have Olu of warri not itsekiri. Am sure this will help your understanding.
Four: please mention a title you know that is named after the tribe if the people
Re: Warri- The Urhobos, The Itsekiris And The Ijaws : Facts And Factlets. by JEITO: 11:40pm On Feb 15, 2015
Reminds me of my days in Gbaramatu wink
Re: Warri- The Urhobos, The Itsekiris And The Ijaws : Facts And Factlets. by omash: 11:44pm On Feb 15, 2015
We are talking about history here.you can't say the land belong to no tribe.In d first place where re u from?Can u say your land belong to nobody?If u don't knw about something don't generalised. Warri has an historical chronicle and by that the land belong to a tribe despite their minority. And this type of topic should be totally expunged from Nairaland otherwise it may cause a serious brawl.Warri is itsekiri and itsekiri is Warri smiley smiley smiley smiley[/color] wink[color=#990000]
Re: Warri- The Urhobos, The Itsekiris And The Ijaws : Facts And Factlets. by Lucky4real28(m): 11:52pm On Feb 15, 2015
No tribe own warri in My opinion, just some parts are own by different tribe like the op mentioned, I am urhobo and i am from warri and my grand father said his grand father is from warri aswell.
Re: Warri- The Urhobos, The Itsekiris And The Ijaws : Facts And Factlets. by tommynico(m): 11:54pm On Feb 15, 2015
[quote
author=barcanista post=30758153]Op thank you. Well, I'm Ijaw frm
Rivers State, this issue of Warri affects me so much because I have my
brothers and sisters there. Well, I wouldn't want to go into any
argument but I have to correct one impression. According to we the
Ijaws, the word Warri originated from the Ijaw word "Wari" which means
house. The Iwere stuff of the Itsekiri is unacceptable to us, and that
is it.
The Itsekiris are more educated and the British favored them, the Oil
Companies also favored them against the Ijaws. What is keeping the Ijaws
today is Almighty God and our zeal to defend ourselves against every
odd. The issue of Warri is a very special one, and I believe a
roundtable discussion should be convoked to solve every grey area once
and for all. However, the Ijaws will not seek to take what is not theirs
and will not lose an inch of what belongs to them. God bless us
all[/quote]
i laugh at ur comment. who started the ijaw-ilaje crisis in ondo state as at 1998?? itshekiri are the true owners of warri nd partly by the urohos, the ijaws migrated there just for fishing.
Re: Warri- The Urhobos, The Itsekiris And The Ijaws : Facts And Factlets. by Nobody: 11:59pm On Feb 15, 2015
WARRI minus URHOBO COMMUNITIES equals SWAMPS/FORESTS

DELTA minus URHOBO TOWNS equals one of those less developed states lyk Ekiti, Ondo etc grin

Federal University of Petroleum Resources, Effurun - Urhobo Land
Delta State University, Abraka - Urhobo Land
Petroleum Training Institute, Effurun - Urhobo Land
Delta State University Teaching Hospital, Oghara - Urhobo Land
Western Delta University, Oghara - Urhobo Land
Golden Tulip - Effurun - Urhobo Land

The list is endless abeg

Long Live Urhobo Kingdom

2 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Warri- The Urhobos, The Itsekiris And The Ijaws : Facts And Factlets. by mobosteve: 11:59pm On Feb 15, 2015
Itsekiri' are not happy with the development and progress of theirs Neighbours (urhobo,ijaw and Isoko).they solely want development to themselves alone.they are always scheming on how to screw or outsmart their neiggbours.ijaws and urhobos are "live and let's live people " hence don't have issues with their neiggbours or other tribes. It took the ijaws and the urhobos a too long to know that the itsekiris aren't trusted neighbours. Itsekiris always have problems with theirs neighbours dues to their scheming and selfish agendas. Either Oil company issues , land dragging issues, LGA issues and many more.Currently the other tribes are tensed with them hence monitor their every moves / agenda since a scheme is always underneath .Ijaws don't tolerate them again and any scheming recently towards the ijaws from itsekiri leads to the battle ground.Isokos are lucky to not have a boundary with them
Re: Warri- The Urhobos, The Itsekiris And The Ijaws : Facts And Factlets. by Evestar200(f): 12:11am On Feb 16, 2015
is those who dont know the Itsekiri people will say nonsense, they are trying to impose olu of sapele in sapele bcus there is no king in sapele,there are still trying to impose olu of oghara kingdom all bcus ibori took them as brothers and gave them land, maybe in 10yrs time, we will be hearing itsekiri owns oghara kingdom. u can't work in a company in an itsekiri land without changing ur name to an itsekiri name
Re: Warri- The Urhobos, The Itsekiris And The Ijaws : Facts And Factlets. by uncjay(m): 12:11am On Feb 16, 2015
Simple me.....jst here to read nd learn....tnkx op
Re: Warri- The Urhobos, The Itsekiris And The Ijaws : Facts And Factlets. by tonychristopher: 12:29am On Feb 16, 2015
Tis funny

I lived in warri and I think itsheke are more like managers while urhobo are handimen
Re: Warri- The Urhobos, The Itsekiris And The Ijaws : Facts And Factlets. by tonychristopher: 12:31am On Feb 16, 2015
Evestar200:
is those who dont know the Itsekiri people will say nonsense, they are trying to impose olu of sapele in sapele bcus there is no king in sapele,there are still trying to impose olu of oghara kingdom all bcus ibori took them as brothers and gave them land, maybe in 10yrs time, we will be hearing itsekiri owns oghara kingdom. u can't work in a company in an itsekiri land without changing ur name to an itsekiri name

Are they this bad

O explain
Re: Warri- The Urhobos, The Itsekiris And The Ijaws : Facts And Factlets. by tonychristopher: 12:35am On Feb 16, 2015
ALKARULEZZ:

DELTA minus URHOBO TOWNS equals one of those less developed states lyk Ekiti, Ondo etc grin

The list is endless abeg

Long Live Urhobo Kingdom

But itshekiri owns warri i think and experienced
Lived in that town
Re: Warri- The Urhobos, The Itsekiris And The Ijaws : Facts And Factlets. by tonychristopher: 12:53am On Feb 16, 2015
ILIDEFI:

You are Ijaw? Like seriously? So how come u hate GEJ with passion?

I am learning so much

But otuoke is not ijaw land and don't speak ijaw

They are what I can say minority of minorities
Re: Warri- The Urhobos, The Itsekiris And The Ijaws : Facts And Factlets. by ferdybillion(m): 12:58am On Feb 16, 2015
Rapmoney:
Op, nor let Area!!! Catch u o! grin
On a serious note, you very WRONG that Warri is a 'no man's land'!!! Warri, historically, belong to the Itsekiris. Where do you think names like Giwa-Amu, Giniwa, Pesu and the likes came from? The Itsekiris lost a greater part of their lands due to inter-ethnic conflicts with the Ijaws and Urhobos. When I was in secondary school, we took 'Itsekiri' as our local language!!! Today, you won't find that! And am talking of Warri-South Local Government Area which the Urhobos are claiming ownership of. This led to to many tribal wars in 1992, 1993, 1996, 1999 and 2000. Any one who witnessed the crises will definitely know what I mean.
@rapmoney leave those ppl with their blind facts, I'm a born urhobo my mum is itsekiri and she's from the royal linage. My father who has had the history of warri in his hands have already made these facts clear to us his children. The itsekiris own warri, the ijaws were fishermen, they paid rents nd other levies when they occupied those lands where they have collected by force. They cry that they are being oppressed nd they are the ones with the big guns. The urhobos age far from being owners of warri true urhobos know where they come from the ones claiming warri are just doing it out of greed. Long live warri, long live iwere Kingdom.

5 Likes

Re: Warri- The Urhobos, The Itsekiris And The Ijaws : Facts And Factlets. by ferdybillion(m): 1:01am On Feb 16, 2015
Evestar200:
my dear u know nothing at all, if u don't have anything to say stfu......
Re: Warri- The Urhobos, The Itsekiris And The Ijaws : Facts And Factlets. by ferdybillion(m): 1:02am On Feb 16, 2015
ALKARULEZZ:

The list is endless abeg
Olodo, hungry never beat u
Long Live Urhobo Kingdom
Re: Warri- The Urhobos, The Itsekiris And The Ijaws : Facts And Factlets. by guyX(m): 1:10am On Feb 16, 2015
Rapmoney:
Op, nor let Area!!! Catch u o! grin
On a serious note, you very WRONG that Warri is a 'no man's land'!!! Warri, historically, belong to the Itsekiris. Where do you think names like Giwa-Amu, Giniwa, Pesu and the likes came from? The Itsekiris lost a greater part of their lands due to inter-ethnic conflicts with the Ijaws and Urhobos. When I was in secondary school, we took 'Itsekiri' as our local language!!! Today, you won't find that! And am talking of Warri-South Local Government Area which the Urhobos are claiming ownership of. This led to to many tribal wars in 1992, 1993, 1996, 1999 and 2000. Any one who witnessed the crises will definitely know what I mean.
What about the crisis in 2004 or is it 2005

What
Re: Warri- The Urhobos, The Itsekiris And The Ijaws : Facts And Factlets. by Carlmax(m): 3:14am On Feb 16, 2015
zeezboy:
D ijaws ar water based peeps, dey ar mainly offshores. While d itsekirs nd urhobos occupies d landed area of warri, if u remove d lands occupied by d urhobos (uvwie, okere-urhobo, agbasa) d warri we ar talkin abat is lik primary sch compound!

U just said it all, it's the simple truth, forget about where d oil wells are located, the urhobos have never fought for a village that isn't clearly theirs. if you remove Uvwie, Okere-Urhobo and agbasa, what U have is a very tiny piece of land and swamps. people call the whole city warri this days, but a little while ago everybody knows that Effurun is different from warri.
Re: Warri- The Urhobos, The Itsekiris And The Ijaws : Facts And Factlets. by Carlmax(m): 3:17am On Feb 16, 2015
ferdybillion:
my dear u know nothing at all, if u don't have anything to say stfu......

My dear he is saying the FACT! so U STFU

1 Like

Re: Warri- The Urhobos, The Itsekiris And The Ijaws : Facts And Factlets. by Carlmax(m): 3:25am On Feb 16, 2015
ferdybillion:
@rapmoney leave those ppl with their blind facts, I'm a born urhobo my mum is itsekiri and she's from the royal linage. My father who has had the history of warri in his hands have already made these facts clear to us his children. The itsekiris own warri, the ijaws were fishermen, they paid rents nd other levies when they occupied those lands where they have collected by force. They cry that they are being oppressed nd they are the ones with the big guns. The urhobos age far from being owners of warri true urhobos know where they come from the ones claiming warri are just doing it out of greed. Long live warri, long live iwere Kingdom.

No one is saying Urhobo owns Warri, what am saying is if you take away Urhobo towns from what people term "Warri" today, what you have is a primary school compound. Abi una wan lay claim to Uvwie too? and BTW if ur mum is ishekeri you are ishekiri your dad's mum might be ishekiri too, am just saying.
Re: Warri- The Urhobos, The Itsekiris And The Ijaws : Facts And Factlets. by Nobody: 4:44am On Feb 16, 2015
Who cares?
When did their little warri ownership problem become a national discus?
Any land you own belongs to you and your family,whether you are ijaw itshekiri or Urhobo because all three groups own the place.
If they are unable to live in peace,Let them delete themselves if they like,Igbos will take over grin
Re: Warri- The Urhobos, The Itsekiris And The Ijaws : Facts And Factlets. by OrlandoOwoh(m): 5:00am On Feb 16, 2015
eterisan:
The fact that the title Olu of warri is a disputed one tells the whole story i dont need to say much. blik u de forget say iwere children get boundary for warri de fit dance awankere pass okere market? abi u de forget say ovie of okere urhobo kingdom dey? As the op rightly puts it the itsekiri's were the first to have contact with white men in warri and also had the support of awolowo thus they used sense for the other two tribes! this is why it seems they have the edge politically.
Don't mistake the closeness of some Urhobo towns to Warri for parts of Warri. Effurun and Igborikoko, for example, are not parts of Warri. This is the same thing as saying that Sango Ota is not Lagos State even though, owing to its closeness to Lagos State, some people call it part of the state. The same thing goes for Obio Akpor and Ikwerre LGAs now referred to as Port Harcourt because of their closeness. It may interest you to know that Uniport; NTA, Port Harcourt and Port Harcourt International Airport are not in Port Harcourt but in Obio Akpor and Etche LGAs respectively.
Re: Warri- The Urhobos, The Itsekiris And The Ijaws : Facts And Factlets. by dimensional(m): 5:30am On Feb 16, 2015
Well can't say much about the ownership of Warri because i am an urhobo from Effurun. Though itsekiri's are politically favoured but one thing i notice about is that the love to encroach other people domain at any slightest opportunity. For instance Itsekiri laid claim to Ugboloposo in effurun, it somehow absurd how can a land surrounded by Udu, Uvwie and Okpe LGA be an itsekiri, it almost led to crisis but because the effurun people are peace loving people we let it go. Also Ubeji was ceded to the Itsekiri which formally belong to Ekpan. The painful part is that chevron which is in uvwie LGA if you don't have high level itsekiri endorsement and clearance you can't get employment; community slot
Re: Warri- The Urhobos, The Itsekiris And The Ijaws : Facts And Factlets. by asamaigho(m): 6:18am On Feb 16, 2015
From obvious facts,any URHOBO dat lays claim to has lost his roots,...the urhobos and the ijaws have always been tenants in warri,they tax to Olu of warri.
how can they claim ownership when they used to pay land tax to d Itsekiris?.they just used the influence of sons WALTER FEGHABO(MILITARY ADMISTRATOR) AND JAMES IBORI(GOV) who are both ijaw and urhobo respectively to grab itsekiri lands and install kings(ogbe ijaw and OKERE urhobo kingdoms in @1998 and 1999 respectively.
meanwhile warri kingdom (IWERE) has been in existence since 1467.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Warri- The Urhobos, The Itsekiris And The Ijaws : Facts And Factlets. by eightsin(m): 6:46am On Feb 16, 2015
A friend from Isuikwuato in abia state just made that statement that Isuikwuato people don't marry deltans and I'd like to find out how true.
Re: Warri- The Urhobos, The Itsekiris And The Ijaws : Facts And Factlets. by abraka00(f): 7:42am On Feb 16, 2015
[quote author=Miscellaneous post=30768589]
I will not insult you because I am certain that you are not aware of what has been going on around you.Where is Warri? I mean how many communities make up warri? Certainly the Olu will live long but after his reign you should please write me on what I said about the reversal of the title of the "olu of itsekiri"
Re: Warri- The Urhobos, The Itsekiris And The Ijaws : Facts And Factlets. by Onegai(f): 7:50am On Feb 16, 2015
AmazingDude:

Liar... Ibibio 4th, Ijaws fifth.....

Errr, I'd have thought Bini would be the 4th, but I do know Urhobo is bigger than Ijaw. I'm from Delta, the number of places that are Urhobo-speaking surpass my language's spread and I am yet to meet several Ijaw people (because they're spread over Coastal areas in 2/3 states doesn't make it a large population).

Reason it out: when people are asking about the main tribe of Delta or language, which language do they refer to? Urhobo

Not Ika, not Ijaw, not Itsekiri (all my Itsekiri friends speak Yoruba sef), not Kwale, not Ibo (though Igbo people keep trying to claim Delta by force). It's Urhobo.

(1) (2) (3) ... (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) ... (15) (Reply)

Nigerian Lady With Tribal Marks Almost Committed Suicide (Photos) / The Returned Oba’s Staff is Fake - Royal Prince Calls Out Oba Of Lagos (Video) / Common Yoruba Words Borrowed From Arabic

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 65
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.