Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,201 members, 7,818,670 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 09:31 PM

Why High Budget Nollywood Movies Don't Enjoy Commercial Success Outside Nigeria. - TV/Movies - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / TV/Movies / Why High Budget Nollywood Movies Don't Enjoy Commercial Success Outside Nigeria. (1259 Views)

TTT Doesn't Want To Receive Calls From Outside BBNaija. Nigerians React / 15 Nollywood Movies You Must See this year 2016 / Which Of These Nollywood Movies Did You Watch As A Kid? (pics) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Why High Budget Nollywood Movies Don't Enjoy Commercial Success Outside Nigeria. by prettyjoshua(m): 5:15pm On Feb 15, 2015
[color=][/color]From my research carried out,I have noticed that the high budget nollywood movies like October 1,the meeting, black november etc,doesn't really enjoy commercial success outside the borders of nigeria despite their production values, what's really the cause of this.
Re: Why High Budget Nollywood Movies Don't Enjoy Commercial Success Outside Nigeria. by TheFilmmaker: 9:48pm On Feb 15, 2015
What were the criteria for your research?
Re: Why High Budget Nollywood Movies Don't Enjoy Commercial Success Outside Nigeria. by prettyjoshua(m): 6:26pm On Feb 16, 2015
You mean criteria
Re: Why High Budget Nollywood Movies Don't Enjoy Commercial Success Outside Nigeria. by TheFilmmaker: 9:08am On Feb 18, 2015
prettyjoshua:
You mean criteria

No, criterion is also correct.

Criterion
krʌɪˈtɪərɪən/
noun
plural noun: criteria
a principle or standard by which something may be judged or decided.

That was why I used 'WERE' instead of 'WAS'. (What were the criterion for your research?) (What was the criteria for your research?)

No qualms bro. We're all learning.
Re: Why High Budget Nollywood Movies Don't Enjoy Commercial Success Outside Nigeria. by Qoaki3k: 11:46pm On Feb 19, 2015
Re: Why High Budget Nollywood Movies Don't Enjoy Commercial Success Outside Nigeria. by Nobody: 1:16am On Feb 20, 2015
The minute you try to make a Nollywood movie a version of Hollywood output, it loses its appeal to the international audience. The value of Nollywood is in its down to earth authenticity and 'realness'. Nollywood directors should improve their production values, but not at the expense of this authenticity. It's a fine line to manouver, admittedly.

2 Likes

Re: Why High Budget Nollywood Movies Don't Enjoy Commercial Success Outside Nigeria. by prettyjoshua(m): 9:56am On Feb 20, 2015
Das correct at ross, they should try and up their game especially the kind of stories they tell and good cast management.
Re: Why High Budget Nollywood Movies Don't Enjoy Commercial Success Outside Nigeria. by expozey(f): 1:07am On Mar 31, 2015
1. Script - Lazy writing
2. Directing - Very rarely are the movies intriguing or suspenseful. Soundtrack also comes to play here. Poor casting too
3. Attention to detail - Some mistakes that need to be corrected and scenes meant to be reshot are allowed to go unaddressed
Re: Why High Budget Nollywood Movies Don't Enjoy Commercial Success Outside Nigeria. by kay9(m): 10:30am On Apr 02, 2015
expozey:
1. Script - Lazy writing
2. Directing - Very rarely are the movies intriguing or suspenseful. Soundtrack also comes to play here. Poor casting too
3. Attention to detail - Some mistakes that need to be corrected and scenes meant to be reshot are allowed to go unaddressed

Number 1 and 2 in particular. I can actually stomach some editorial and production mistakes - after all nobody knows it all - but the scripting!! And the directing!! Oh my God, anytime I make the mistake of watching a nollywood movie (even the so-called good ones), I just feel like tearing out my hair. Diction, zero; wittiness, zero; suspense, zero. Lets not even talk about the sound production/sound tracks - celine dion don finish for market na. grin

Also, besides the reasons pointed by expozey above, the simple fact is that very few cinemas (if any at all) show Nigerian movies outside the country's shores. Yes, there's still money from dvd sales and all, but real commercial success for any movie is a function of the number of cinemas showing it - and if cinemas ain't showing, then people ain't watching!
Re: Why High Budget Nollywood Movies Don't Enjoy Commercial Success Outside Nigeria. by Nobody: 12:43pm On Apr 02, 2015
TheFilmmaker:

No, criterion is also correct.

Criterion
krʌɪˈtɪərɪən/
noun
plural noun: criteria
a principle or standard by which something may be judged or decided.

That was why I used 'WERE' instead of 'WAS'. (What were the criterion for your research?) (What was the criteria for your research?)

No qualms bro. We're all learning.

The noun 'Criterion' is simply the singular form of the noun 'Criteria' The correct grammar is thus: What WAS the CRITERION for your research?

....And

What WERE the CRITERIA for your research?

-The noun, 'CRITERION is singular (one) and thus incompatible with the verb 'WERE' (denoting more than one) in a simple sentence.

-The noun, 'CRITERIA is plural (more than one), and thus incompatible with the verb 'WAS' (denoting only one) in a simple sentence.

1 Like

Re: Why High Budget Nollywood Movies Don't Enjoy Commercial Success Outside Nigeria. by TheFilmmaker: 1:23pm On Apr 02, 2015
koice:

The noun 'Criterion' is simply the singular form of the noun 'Criteria' The correct grammar is thus: What WAS the CRITERION for your research?

....And

What WERE the CRITERIA for your research?

-The noun, 'CRITERION is singular (one) and thus incompatible with the verb 'WERE' (denoting more than one) in a simple sentence.

-The noun, 'CRITERIA is plural (more than one), and thus incompatible with the verb 'WAS' (denoting only one) in a simple sentence.

Thanks for the tip.

More grease bro.
Re: Why High Budget Nollywood Movies Don't Enjoy Commercial Success Outside Nigeria. by Nobody: 1:28pm On Apr 02, 2015
TheFilmmaker:

Thanks for the tip.

More grease bro.

You're welcome. Honestly, I was expecting some sort of resistance on your part, but it's gratifying to see that you're one of very few sensible blokes in this forum. Have a nice day.
Re: Why High Budget Nollywood Movies Don't Enjoy Commercial Success Outside Nigeria. by TheFilmmaker: 1:55pm On Apr 02, 2015
koice:

You're welcome. Honestly, I was expecting some sort of resistance on your part, but it's gratifying to see that you're one of very few sensible blokes in this forum. Have a nice day.

Only ignorant people stop learning. When I'm faulty, I admit I am. If we don't admit our mistakes how then can we move forward?

I owe you one bottle of Eagles Schnapps.

1 Like

Re: Why High Budget Nollywood Movies Don't Enjoy Commercial Success Outside Nigeria. by Nobody: 3:27pm On Apr 02, 2015
TheFilmmaker:

Only ignorant people stop learning. When I'm faulty, I admit I am. If we don't admit our mistakes how then can we move forward?

I owe you one bottle of Eagles Schnapps.

Lolz. You're welcome to have one shot on my behalf.
Re: Why High Budget Nollywood Movies Don't Enjoy Commercial Success Outside Nigeria. by safarigirl(f): 6:04pm On Apr 02, 2015
Movies like October 1st, Invasion 1897 and Figurine are somewhat African, I do not think Kunle Afolayan or Lancelot aim for Westernised movies. So can anyone explain why they don't get the hype they deserve abroad?

1 Like

Re: Why High Budget Nollywood Movies Don't Enjoy Commercial Success Outside Nigeria. by Euphrosyne(m): 6:46pm On Apr 02, 2015
Me thinks its because the movies are only promoted within Nigeria, we don't really promote our films outside of Nigeria and maybe Ghana
Re: Why High Budget Nollywood Movies Don't Enjoy Commercial Success Outside Nigeria. by expozey(f): 12:42pm On Apr 03, 2015
kay9:

Number 1 and 2 in particular. I can actually stomach some editorial and production mistakes - after all nobody knows it all - but the scripting!! And the directing!! Oh my God, anytime I make the mistake of watching a nollywood movie (even the so-called good ones), I just feel like tearing out my hair. Diction, zero; wittiness, zero; suspense, zero. Lets not even talk about the sound production/sound tracks - celine dion don finish for market na. grin

Also, besides the reasons pointed by expozey above, the simple fact is that very few cinemas (if any at all) show Nigerian movies outside the country's shores. Yes, there's still money from dvd sales and all, but real commercial success for any movie is a function of the number of cinemas showing it - and if cinemas ain't showing, then people ain't watching!

Well said

(1) (Reply)

WWE Summer Slam 2015 / Highlights On ZEE World!!!! / Come In, Let's Discuss 'This Is Us' Here!

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 23
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.