Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,838 members, 7,810,221 topics. Date: Saturday, 27 April 2024 at 12:34 AM

The Frenemy - Literature - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Literature / The Frenemy (1996 Views)

The Frenemy 2 (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

The Frenemy by Flowtry(m): 2:52am On Feb 16, 2015
Hi guys, having gone through some write ups here, I decided to post one of my original fictional works. First of all a Frenemy is two words coming together to form one word. It means an "Enemy who poses as a friend"
They are the proverbial rat that eats the sole of your feet and blows it so you won't feel immediate pain. I'm going to try to be as interesting as possible and to be forthcoming in my updates. Read, correct and critique this work. Its very important as it'll help me to avoid certain mistakes thereby serving you better. That said enjoy

February 10 1994

It was four days to Val's day and the girls in my class were already preening their feathers in anticipation of what to wear to their boyfriend's gig. I was sitting at one corner trying to write my Geography notebook with difficulty because what they were discussing was getting to me and I secretly wished I could contribute to their gist and "feel among"

Sorry for starting my story this way, my name is Angela Kimberly a JS 3 student of Maryland Comprehensive College Ikeja. I'm not particularly Ugly. With a smooth Olive brown skin, large almond shaped eyes, a gap toothed smile, deepset dimples and the presence of an hour glass that was still in its formative stage coupled with full hair. I was the cynosure of boys in my school. But I was more of a bookie and a bore.
So after a while boys learned to avoid me and the girls excluded me from their "girlie gist" like today

My seat was the last seat on Roll 1 as I don't like to be noticed. At first glance, when you meet me for the first time, the impression you get is of a shy, boring girl who likes to keep to herself and is taciturn until you take a look at my test results and my Report Card and be overwhelmed by the impeccable result. I'm an Alpha student but unlike the other nerds in my class like Yomi and Olatundun who sits in front of the class and involve in question answering sessions, I usually wait till the teacher calls my attention by asking me to come and solve a maths equation or to give my view on a particular topic.

I remember one incident that humbled the the maths teacher Mr Fatiroti or Mr Phat because of the Phat Farm T shirt he normally wear most times on a pair of Bugle Boy jeans. He was a student teacher at the time so his dress sense was allowed.

On this morning he walked into class and presented a very tricky Simultaneous Equation on the board and amused himself by calling on the less regular "class participants" to come and solve it. By the way this were the back row guys of which I was among. His impression was if you're a back row pupil you must be dull. On this day I proved him and a couple of my peers wrong.
I was sitting in my corner with a faint smile on my face as I watched as Jegede, an ebony skinned brawny kid whose father was a low class Civil Servant working for the Ministry of Works and Housing, struggled without success to solve the question on the board. He was sent back to his seat in shame amidst boos and guffaws from the front row seaters who form the "Active Participant Squad"

As I was saying, there I sat with my gentle smile staring at them and just assessing their psyche when Mr "Phat Farm" looked in my direction and beckoned to me
" Hey you smiling face care to give a try?" He asked in a sarcastic voice.
"Ok I'll try" I replied in a meek voice.
I stood up from my seat, walked to the class on rather shaky feet, took the chalk from him and stared at the equation on the board and my confidence returned as a faint smile played at the corners of my mouth. It was a very tricky equation which even Yomi would've had a problem answering. I started and for seven minutes, I tackled the equation stopping every now and then to erase an area I didn't do right. By the time I was true, my arms were clammy with sweat. I dropped the almost finished chalk, cleaned my hands on my skirt and walked back to my seat to the consternation of the Teacher who stared with a stunned look of admiration on his pock marked face.

He asked the class to give me a round of applause and I remember how some front row girls snickered and called me names but were now too embarassed to say anything but joining to clap for me.

The teacher stared at the work and shook his head before staring at me.
"Why do you like sitting at the back? You don't belong there" he advised. He then addressed the class.

"This equation took me 15mins to solve. I got the question from a particular maths textbook that was meant for an entrance exam into a Junior High school in the US. Wanted to see if you guys could tackle it and probably amuse myself a lil bit but Miss Kim surprised me"

Needless to say, I became his favorite student and the class pupils began to be wary of me
I made some new friends from the "Active Participant Squad"

One of them, an ebony skinned tall girl with an Oval face and a small eyes and a sonorous british accent voice whose name was Linda Alisigwe became my best friend.

It woulda been nice if it ended that way but it was not to be as you guys will see.
Re: The Frenemy by almacherish(f): 4:44am On Feb 16, 2015
Nice one
Re: The Frenemy by Cybershow(m): 7:50am On Feb 16, 2015
Oh..u duin wel in d story z a nyc 1
*pick my iphone mak i cal my bosses* thronekid dix story wey dae here it seem say e mak sense o. prettydiva89 my darlin na here i dae o mak una cum o.na foam i brought 2dae o. stuff46 i no 4gt u o mak u 2 cum o.
Re: The Frenemy by Nobody: 3:57pm On Feb 16, 2015
Cybershow:
*pick my iphone mak i cal my bosses* thronekid dix story wey dae here it seem say e mak sense o. prettydiva89 my darlin na here i dae o mak una cum o.na foam i brought 2dae o. stuff46 i no 4gt u o mak u 2 cum o.
Starring!
Re: The Frenemy by Flowtry(m): 7:52pm On Feb 16, 2015
It was break time and as I was outside eating my lunch and reading a Harlequin Romance novel which was given to me by Amanda my big sister who insist that I read a lot of romance novels so that I won't be a complete jerk.

Well there I was under the Flame Tree engrossed in the book when a sonorous voice with a clipped British accent interrupted my flow.

"I see you read Harlequin too" Linda smiled and sat on the floor next to me like we were friends and not total strangers.

"Yeah" I smiled in return as I closed my book and gave her my full attention.

"I'm not much of a novel person ya know, just readin' this cos my sis insists" I offered by way of explanation.

She laughed at this and said "your sis wants you to grow up and act girlie okay, she means no harm"

I shrugged my shoulders and asked the purpose of her presence to which she replied that she wanna be my friend. To say the least, it was touching. I'd gotten used to being a lone ranger that I never really knew the importance of company. Well I indulged her and she introduced herself to me as Linda Alisigwe, the youngest of five of which they are three girls and two boys.

Her Father is a Pilot with British Airways and she was born and raised in Glasgow where she spent a decade before coming to Nigeria four years ago.

She was a transfer student of Corona College who came to my school last year because her parents felt she needed a moral environment to be able to imbibe a good character.

Her mum was a Ticketing officer with Luftanser who resigned from her job to become a full time housewife when they moved to Nigeria in order to keep a close eye on her children.

At the moment, she owns a boutique and she's a popular Fashion Designer with the Top military officers' wives of that era.

All this she wrapped up in 10mins and nudged to tell her about myself.

There wasn't much to tell but I narrated how I'm also the youngest daughter of a Single mum.
My Parents met in San Francisco US when Dad was working as a dispatch rider with Walmart Stores where mum also worked as the Sales supervisor. The two cliqued inspite of their different cultural background. Mum was a Texan Native whose Parents owned a ranch on the outskirts of Houston. She left home for her current location because she detest the reticent life of a Rancher. Dad was Nigerian of Igbo Origin whose name was Ogbonaya Kimberly.

Mum and Dad had a fight over mum's inability to give him male children after eight years of marriage. It turned out He was being pressured by his parents to take another wife in Nigeria who'll give them male a child who'll continue the family name.

Mum and Dad seperated, mum met a guy who worked for the Ministry of Finance who was on vacation in the country at the time
They became quite close to the point that when he was coming back to the country after his six month vacation, he asked mum if she'll like to accompany to which she agreed. She moved in with him with us in his Spacious apartment in Mende, Maryland.
Five years ago
Re: The Frenemy by Flowtry(m): 7:55pm On Feb 16, 2015
Guys thanks for your patience, I promise not to bore you with too much generalities but I wanna assure you that the story is about to begin.
Re: The Frenemy by Flowtry(m): 5:40am On Feb 17, 2015
The bell rang signifying an end to the break and she stood up dusting her dress and helping me up. For a 14 year old, Linda was quite mature, she looked taller and more fuller in the right places. In fact with her full lips, firm voluptuous breast, sonorous voice and shapely legs complimented with a smooth ebony skin you'd think she was 17! As I would later discover, she was equally brilliant though not as nerds like me. I nicknamed her "Miss BBS" which is the acronym for Beauty, brains and swag.

Back to the present. As we climbed the stairs to the second floor where our class was, she asked what my plans for the forth coming valentine's day was.

"I don't have any. Probably help mum out at the Salon(by the way mum has a Salon on the front of our apartment) when I come back from school or finish my assignment".

"Don't you have a boyfriend to share the moment with?" She inquired

"No, we weren't brought up with your kinda lifestyle. Mum will skin me alive if she so much as find out I'm seeing a guy" I replied

"Your mum is bossy on you, which is why you're such a nerd. Never mind we'll do something about it" she offered pensively

We entered our classroom and went to our separate corners.

Feb 14 1994

The day began like every normal day, we had exchanged numbers at the close of school the last time we saw each other. She had called over the weekend to inform of a private party one of her friends is organizing at her place in her apartment on Isaac John's street Ikeja GRA.

I was going through my homework when the phone rang in the living room. Mandy got to it before and she handed the phone after learning that it was for me.

"Hello, Kimberly's residence" I spoke into the phone with a frown on my face.

"Hi Smiling face this is Linda. Don't forget our outing on Val's day. We won't be staying late. Just want you to blend with some people and ease your book brain a bit" she said while she laughed a kinda musical laugh.

"I'm gonna accept this invite if you promise me that we won't stay long cos I have to be home before mum suspects" I cautioned in a conspiratorial voice since I didn't want my sister to know what we were discussing on the phone.

"I promise", she replied.
The line went dead at the other end and I placed the phone gingerly on its cradle and slunked to my room.

"I overhead your conversation. Where are you going on Val's Day?" Mandy inquired with a frown on her face.

I told of the gig with a promise to behave and be home at a responsible hour which was before 6pm. Her only advice was that If I come home late, there won't be another opportunity like this to which I crossed my heart and hoped to die if I fail to be home on time.

After school that day which wasn't long. We had closed for the day at 1pm but Linda left the school for her place where we ditched our uniforms and I wore a simple yellow long sleeve body hug Tee Shirt and a Hipster denim with a brown flat soled Gladiator.

Linda on the other hand wore a LBD with High heeled shoes and gold bangles.

Aside from my Omega wristwatch, simple earrings and a small gold chain with a small heart pendant of gold. I had nothing else.

The necklace was a birth day gift from Dad before the breakup.

Linda insisted that I apply makeup which I vehemently declined but I applied a little face powder to brighten my face a lil bit

We took a cab to the venue and we were greeted by the host of the party who was a friend of Linda. I moved to a corner, took a seat and nod my head to the music of R Kelly's "Body Calling"
Re: The Frenemy by Cybershow(m): 5:56am On Feb 17, 2015
Hmmm..linda..dnt spoil dix gel.. as i dae luk na dix gel b ha frenemy
Re: The Frenemy by Nobody: 9:09am On Feb 17, 2015
Cybershow:
i don arrive sweetheart
Re: The Frenemy by Flowtry(m): 8:49pm On Feb 17, 2015
I saw Linda move around hugging people and saw her out of the corner of my eye as she walked to my corner with a guy and a girl who like my age except that her eyes had this worldly look about her. She was wearing a form fitting knee length turquoise gown of satin quality which accentuated her curvy figure and large breast.

"Angela, this is Miriam my friend and the celebrant, this cool dude is Idris his brother their father is a friend to Gen Yakubu Gowon the former military president". She introduced as she made room for them to greet me properly.

"Hi Angela", a condescending smile on her face as she extended her hand gingerly for a handshake, "you're welcome to my party. Linda has told me a lot about that I practically threatened her to bring you or face the wrath of the Almighty Miriam" she joked as we all laughed.

All this while, Idris had been staring at me with a faint smile on his face without saying anything. Presently, the girls excused us and we were alone. I stood there twirling my bottle of Fanta Chapman in my hands and looking down at my feet.

"Angela, you're beautiful even without makeup" he commented flashing his 1000watt smile

"Thanks" I replied blushing

We walked a little further towards the back and sat down at one of the empty table. The music of Tupac (what r yu gonna do for love) was blaring from the speakers and the verandah was already filled with everybody trying to outdo each other with the latest dance steps of which "shuffling" was among.

"So Angie what class are you and which school do you attend?" He asked as a waiter brought our meal of Fried rice and Chicken.

"I'm a JS 3 student of Maryland Comprehensive College"

"Wow that's a good school. I did my Junior Secondary there before traveling to Baltimore in US". He commented.

"I grew up in the States too. I spent eight years of my life in San Francisco" I replied with a smile on my face.

From that moment, we talked about many things in general or he let me into his world. Idris turned out to be a good conversationist with a rich sense of humor. With a flawless ebony skin, aquiline nose and lean bony features coupled with a suave voice, he was every teenage girl's dream.
From our gist I learned he's a senior in Baltimore Senior High. He'll be through by next year and from there he hopes to study Movie production in UCLA.
Time flies when you're having fun. So it was time for me to go and I made my intentions known to him as I stood up to leave.

"I thought you were gonna stay a little while". He said with a kinda strange look on his face which I couldn't decipher.

"I promised mum I would be back before 6pm" I replied

"Can I have your number, I'll call you tonight" he offered

"I don't answer calls at home. But not to worry, our paths will cross again OK?" I replied compassionately

He shrugged his shoulders and offered to walk me to the bustop which wasn't too far from their house.

When we got to the bus stop. He held my hands, looked into my eyes with a dreamy expression and did the unexpected. He planted a sudden kiss on my lips and walked briskly in the direction of their home. I flagged down a bus, got in and sat down. The state of my mind at that moment was a jumble of thoughts
Re: The Frenemy by Maryofficial(f): 9:41pm On Feb 17, 2015
Nice one
Re: The Frenemy by Nobody: 10:02pm On Feb 17, 2015
hmm speechless
Re: The Frenemy by Flowtry(m): 11:35pm On Feb 17, 2015
prettydiva89:
hmm speechless

Thanks prettydiva. I'm open to critique and corrections.
For the story...keep your fingers crossed
Re: The Frenemy by Flowtry(m): 11:40pm On Feb 17, 2015
Maryofficial:
Nice one

Thanks maryofficial. I promise to not disappoint my audience. So far do you think there's anything I need to add or eliminate?
Re: The Frenemy by Nobody: 8:06am On Feb 18, 2015
Flowtry:

Thanks prettydiva. I'm open to critique and corrections.
For the story...keep your fingers crossed
okay ma you welcome
Re: The Frenemy by Nobody: 10:31am On Feb 18, 2015
Nice Broh but could you try to keep it real? Its a fiction, yeah we know that but how do you explain exchanging numbers in 1994?
Re: The Frenemy by Cybershow(m): 8:05pm On Feb 18, 2015
prettydiva89:

i don arrive sweetheart
Owk sweetie..king thronekid dnt b jealous o
Re: The Frenemy by Cybershow(m): 8:16pm On Feb 18, 2015
Hmm....speechless just as my darling prettydiva89 did
Re: The Frenemy by Flowtry(m): 10:17am On Feb 19, 2015
thronekid:
Nice Broh but could you try to keep it real? Its a fiction, yeah we know that but how do you explain exchanging numbers in 1994?

I'm sorry thronekid, really sorry and thanks for pointing that out.
Re: The Frenemy by Flowtry(m): 10:21am On Feb 19, 2015
Keep your fingers crossed guys, I'm updating this evening. Nepa has been doing us strong thing in my area. Please bear with me. I welcome more of your commendations and critiques. Gracias
Re: The Frenemy by Flowtry(m): 6:16pm On Feb 19, 2015
That night, I kept thinking of that kiss as I went to bed with mixed feelings.

The next morning, Linda accosted me after 1st Period class as I was going to the Library.

"Why did you leave without informing me?" She accused

"I'm sorry, you were busy with your group and I didn't wanna bother you" I apologized. The truth was, I wanted out of that place at the slightest opportunity. Something about the atmosphere didn't settle with me.

"don't ever do that again. Afterall, as BFFs we should have each other's back" she cautioned with a somewhat serious expression.

"I'm sorry ma" I apologized with a mock curtsey

"Apology accepted" she replied smiling and the she added with a wave of her hand and a gossip girl demeanor, "how did it go with you and Idris yesterday?"

"Nothing much, though I kinda like him buh I don't wanna rush things" I replied with a frown on my face as we came to a stop at the entrance to the Library.

"He's a nice Guy, give him a chance and besides you should give yourself a chance to be a real girl for once" she advised

"Who's a real girl?" I asked innocently.

"That you'll know soon enough" she answered with a dismissive air.
With those words, she sauntered to join a group of guys who were huddle in a corner at the far end of the corridor while I entered the library to read and update my Intro Tech Note which I borrowed from Yomi.

Over the next two months, my friendship with Idris grew. I discovered that he has a large collection of Harlequin Romance as well as a small collection of Silhouette Romance novels in between. He also won Amanda's heart who took a liking to him when she learned of his large collection of Harlequin Romance. As a side note, my Sister is a die hard of Harlequin Romance novels.

We started exchanging novels and sometimes he'll help with my note writing over the weekend when he come to return a novel. I began to look forward to his weekend visits. I won't call what I felt for him "love" because I've been told that its wrong for a 14 year old to display love to a boy.
Re: The Frenemy by Cybershow(m): 6:08am On Feb 20, 2015
Just let go dere flowtry
Re: The Frenemy by Jessevictor(m): 9:39am On Feb 20, 2015
I pitched a tent here.thumbs up to u
Re: The Frenemy by Flowtry(m): 10:18pm On Feb 20, 2015
Guys be patient. I will be updating tomorrow and I'm assuring things are getting hot just keep your fingers crossed
Re: The Frenemy by Cybershow(m): 6:45am On Feb 21, 2015
Flowtry:
Guys be patient. I will be updating tomorrow and I'm assuring things are getting hot just keep your fingers crossed
Alrit o..
Re: The Frenemy by Flowtry(m): 2:47pm On Feb 21, 2015
Hi guys sorry I had to backup a lil bit because I wanna be sure I'm not missing out anything.

We started exchanging novels and sometimes he'll help with my note writing over the weekend when he come to return a novel. I began to look forward to his weekend visits. I won't call what I felt for him "love" because I've been told that its wrong for a 14 year old to display love to a boy.

Well things were to take a wrong turn. It was during the 3weeks First Term holiday I was preparing for my lesson when the phone rang. I walked towards our little shelf in the living room where the phone was placed and picked the phone on the fourth ring.

"Hello, Kim Speaking. I say

"Hi, Angie" Linda clipped voice answered at the other end of the line.

"What's Up Lin?" I inquired with a smile on my face " you coming to the Tutorial today? I'm almost set to leave" I added.

I'm not coming today, Idris is down with Malaria. I had gone to return an earring I borrowed from Miriam when I bumped into Idris huddled on the couch shivering" she explained.

"Is it that serious. I'll stop by on my way from the lesson. I have this important math test to write" I replied in exasperation "how about his sister or any of the servants. Its not possible that the whole house be empty " I added my voice tone rising in worry.

"According to him, Miriam has gone traveled back to England for her schooling and that he had sent the cook to get him Fanta Tonic Water which he took with two Phensic Tablets ". Linda explained.

"Hmm, I'll be there in a jiffy after the test" I replied and hung up but not without an assurance from Linda to ensure he's safe.

As soon as I was done, with my Test which was around 11 A.M I took a bus to Isaac John Street, alighted at the bus stop nearest to the street and walked the short distance to Idris' House.

In my hand was a small bag of provisions which consists of a Packet of Cafenol Tablets for adults, A bottled jar of Fergon tablets, a Jar of Pronto and a Medium size tin of Nido as well a a pack of Lipton and St Louise Sugar Cubes.
The house is a Duplex. It was painted white on the outside with a theme of lemon green and cream on the inside. The living room, Visitor's Lounge and Dining area together with kitchen and store occupy the floor space while Upstairs occupy Four spacious bedrooms including a master bedroom and a two convenience rooms and bathrooms in the master bedroom and the upstair aisle. This I learnt from gists with idris whenever he visits at my place.

I entered the gate, greeted the security man, who was a thin ebony skinned Hausa man who spoke English with a funny accent. I explained the reason for my visit and he responded by giving me directions to the door and what I should do if I ring the bell without getting a response.
He was so comical in his presentation and theatrics that I had to stifle a laugh with an effort.

I followed his description of the directions to the entrance and pressed the door bell twice. When I got no response, I wanted to press again when I heard sounds from the upstair window facing the entrance end and tried the door to see if its locked. It wasn't locked which was fortunate.

I stepped into the small Visitor's lounge, and moved towards the connecting living room.

It was empty and the sounds were louder now and seemed to come from one of the rooms upstairs. I placed the bag of provisions on the glass paneled Mahogany table and climbed the stairs towards the sound. On my face was a worried frown and my heart was full of alotta things
The sounds were coming from a room at the far end of the aisle on my right. As one in a dream I walked towards the door and froze when I poked my head inside.

Linda was half naked from the waist and was straddling Idris and bucking on him like someone riding a horse and saying words I couldn't understand while Idris held her waist and was kneading her butt and making sounds of his own. My mind froze for a few seconds and then an ear splitting scream came from my throat as I left the room, shut the door, ran down the stairs in a daze and ran out the house and passed the shocked security man. Got to the bus stop, entered the next available bus and got home in a jumbled state of mind.
Re: The Frenemy by Nobody: 5:09pm On Feb 21, 2015
feeling you
Re: The Frenemy by Cybershow(m): 3:27am On Feb 22, 2015
Flowtry u kw say i dae ur bak badly..pls help tel pple u kw to vote 4 me..as best newcomer..besides flowtry u duin wel..i luv dat thumbs up, more power to your elbow
Re: The Frenemy by Flowtry(m): 11:17am On Feb 23, 2015
Hola guys, hmm thanks for your comments so far, and for my new friend Cybershow. I got your back. I'm relatively new on NL but I will tell my few friends to vote for you

For my story, you guys haven't seen the end of Angie and her conniving innocent frenemy. I pray Nepa do us well today. Will update tonight
Re: The Frenemy by Cybershow(m): 6:38pm On Feb 23, 2015
Flowtry:
Hola guys, hmm thanks for your comments so far, and for my new friend Cybershow. I got your back. I'm relatively new on NL but I will tell my few friends to vote for you

For my story, you guys haven't seen the end of Angie and her conniving innocent frenemy. I pray Nepa do us well today. Will update tonight
alrit i wil b glad if u du dat.... Pls invite dem on tym cux d vote wil close march 1

(1) (2) (Reply)

[story] The Perfect Couple (adults Only)…part 3 / SIN CITY Episode2(fictional Story) From Prime Insane Universe By / Pastor's Second Wife - Episode 8

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 91
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.