Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,788 members, 7,817,270 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 09:12 AM

The Current Facts And Uncertainties About The Nigerian Traffic Warden Service - Jobs/Vacancies - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Jobs/Vacancies / The Current Facts And Uncertainties About The Nigerian Traffic Warden Service (14471 Views)

Must Read Information About The Current N-power Recruitment Registration / Massive Current Recruitment At IHS Towers / My Challenges On The Current Immigration Recruitment Need Ur Advise (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

The Current Facts And Uncertainties About The Nigerian Traffic Warden Service by vicope: 9:14am On Feb 16, 2015
THE FACTS

The Nigerian Traffic Warden Service existed since 1975 with a structural code name: the Nigeria Traffic Warden Service (TWS) Decree (Act) of 1975. This was also incorporated into Sections 59 to 69 of the Nigeria Police Force Act of 2004 (NPF Ordinance of 1930).

By the provisions of these obnoxious legal creations, the TWS was created and put under the midwifery of the Nigeria Police Force. The TWS was created for the purpose of ensuring safety of persons and properties on all Nigerian roads and strict compliance to road use and safety rules by all Nigerian road users. Those wishing to join the TWS must possess same academic, mental and physical qualifications and qualities with those wishing to join the Nigeria Police Force. Both of them also undergo same field training and spend almost same number of period before being commissioned as officers of the NPF.

Sadly, when it comes to ranking, promotion, remuneration and manning of duty posts or offices; deep discrimination and discrepancies occur. By virtue of the provisions of the TWS Decree (Act) of 1975 and Sections 59 to 69 of the Nigeria Police Act of 2004, the highest rank to be attained by a member of the TWS is called Senior Traffic Warden (STW), which is equivalent to the rank of Inspector in the Nigeria Police Force. The major ranking grades available and traditionalized in the Nigeria Police Force are: constable, corporal (first & second), sergeant, inspector (confirmed & unconfirmed), assistant superintendent (confirmed & unconfirmed), deputy superintendent, superintendent, chief superintendent, assistant commissioner of police, deputy commissioner of police, commissioner of police, assistant inspector general of police, deputy inspector general of police and inspector general of police. This means that there are fourteen major ranking grades in the Nigeria Police Force; whereas only four ranking grades exist in the TWS.

Administratively, there is age-long promotion stagnancy policy against members of the TWS whereby their promotions from one rank to the other are delayed up to five years and above. Key officers of the TWS are also denied office and departmental duties. For instance, key members or officers of the TWS are not allowed by the leadership of the NPF to take charge and full responsibility of the TWS designated duties and offices like Divisional Traffic Officer or Office usually located in every divisional police station; whereas in the same station, divisional crime officer or office is manned by officers from the NPF Criminal Investigation Department. Another discriminatory practice exists whereby a deputy superintendent of traffic (DST) or a senior traffic warden (STW) is made to take orders from a police sergeant or corporal. Deep discrimination and discrepancy exist too in handling the affairs of members of the TWS whereby while personnel of the NPF receive salaries and emoluments much fatter than members of the TWS who share equivalent ranks with their NPF counterparts.

It is in view of these that several attempts were made by concerned and courageous members of the TWS to address the age-long structural and administrative anomalies leading to several court actions in the past. During the Obasanjo’s presidency, a presidential proclamation was issued creating two extra ranking grades of assistant superintendent of traffic (AST) and deputy superintendent of traffic (DST), which are equivalent of the NPF’s assistant and deputy superintendents of the police (ASP & DSP).

These un-healed wounds were re-opened in 2011 after the NPF Headquarters’ terrorist bomb blasts that killed scores of people including a gallant officer of the TWS who was on duty. In firm solidarity with their slain colleague, some courageous officers of the TWS read a funeral oration at the funeral of their colleague where they appealed to the NPF top leadership to use the tragic death of their colleague to redress the age-long discriminatory practices complained of. The authorities of the NPF reacted furiously and dictatorially by hounding the affected officers including STWs Samuel Uwakwe, Emmanuel Mlanga and Adamu Dogari into the NPF cell at the Force Headquarters. They were further meted with orderly room trials and handed down sundry harsh punishments including dismissal from the NPF.

In 2011, Hon Afam Victor Ogene representing the Ogbaru Federal Constituency sponsored a private bill seeking to repeal the TWS Act (Decree) of 1975 and creating an independent Nigeria Traffic Warden Service. Along with the help of a CSO - International Society for Civil Liberties & the Rule of Law. The bill which scaled second reading and became an Act was sponsored by the following members of the House of Representatives;

Hon. Barr. Bassey Eko Ewa
Hon. Prince Ofor Chukwuegbo
Hon. Daniel Effiom Asuquo
Hon. Umar Sani
Hon. Aminu Hamman Tukur
Hon. Hussaini Narnadi
Hon. Ibrahim Tijjani
Hon. IronaAlphonsus Gerald
Hon. Rufai Ahmed Chanchangi
Hon. Otunba Michael
Hon. Adeola Solomon .0.
Hon. Akinloye .H. Babatunde
Hon. Abike Dabiri Erowa
Hon. Asita Honourable .E.
Hon. Sokonte .H. Davis
Hon. Maurice Pronen
Hon. Bello Moh'd Matawale
Hon. Owan Enoh John.

The following modifications were made:

1. There is hereby established the Traffic Warden Service which shall be a body corporate with perpetual succession and a common seal, and may sue or be sued in its corporate name.

2. The Service shall consist of Traffic Wardens appointed from time to time under this Act. The Service established pursuant to subsection (I) of this section shall have its headquarters located in the Federal Capital Territory, Abuja,

3. There shall be established for the Service a Board which shall for the meantime be under control and the supervision of the Federal Ministry of Interior and the Governing Board of the Service which shall consist of a Chairman and other Members. (The service ceases to be under the leadership and control of the Nigerian Police Force).

4. The Chairman and Members of the Board shall be appointed by the President and Commander-in-Chief of the Federal Republic of Nigeria for a period of four years and subject to renewal for another four years and no more.

5.The Structure of the TWS shall be;

OFFICER CADRE
a. The Controller-General of Traffic CGT
b. Deputy Controller-General DCG (each in the six geo-political zone)
c. Assistant Controller- General ACG
d. Controller of Traffic
e. Deputy Controller of Traffic
f. Assistant Controller of Traffic
g. Chief Superintendent of Traffic
h. Deputy Superintendent of Traffic
i. Assistant Superintendent of Traffic (I)
j. Assistant Superintendent of Traffic (II)

RANK/FILE
? – there is a rank here - but I have forgotten tongue tongue angry
PRINCIPAL INSPECTOR
INSPECTOR (CONFIRMED)
INSPECTOR (UNCONFIRMED)
SERGEANT
CORPORAL
CONSTABLE

6. The Command of the TWS shall be;
a. The Controller-General of Traffic CGT
b. Deputy Controller-General DCG (each in the six geo-political zone)
c. Assistant Controller- General ACG
d. State Controller of Traffic CT
e. Area Traffic Officer ATO
f. Divisional Traffic Officer DTO

7. A person shall be eligible to join the TWS if;
(a) He/She is a Nigerian between 18-35 years of age;
(b) is in possession of a minimum Certificate of Education and/or qualification of a Secondary School Certificate of Education or its equivalent;
(c) is not less than 167.64 centimeters and 162.56 centimeters tall respectively, for men and women;
(d) in the case of men, has not less than 86.36 centimeters chest measurement when fully expanded;
(e) is of good character and is physically fit; and
(f) has signified in writing, his/her willingness to serve as a Traffic Warden.

8. Every Traffic Warden shall be;
a. liable to serve in any State of the federation.
b. shall upon his appointment, be trained for period of Six months and/or a specified number of additional months for professional training or course (for Professionals only) and thereafter issued Certificate of Appointment by the Controller- General of' Traffic.

9. Every Traffic Warden appointed under this Act shall serve as Traffic Warden for a period of thirty-five years or until he is (60) sixty Years old except where duly disengaged in accordance with this Act.

10. A Traffic Warden appointed under this Act, shall when on duty and in uniform, have the powers, privileges and immunities of a law enforcement Officer under any law relating to the regulation road of traffic, including the power of arrest, detain and prosecute a traffic offender, provided that the place of detention shall be warden cell rank.

11. Traffic Warden Service Personnel shall be employed and deployed to perform the following statutory function(s) in the metropolitan cities and urban (intracity roads);

a. Enforcement of intra-city road traffic control, regulation and/or ensure steady movement of vehicles in the metropolitan cities and urban roads
b. Control of intra-city road traffic, decongest and removal of all perceived obstructions, blockades and/or obstacles that mayor could likely create hold up and congestion on the road.
c. Take control of vehicle(s) reported to be or are involved in accident on the road (within the cities and urban towns).
d. Create public enlightenment programme(s) to educate road users on the proper manner to use the road; on how to obey traffic rules and road signs and/or promote continuous movement of vehicles on the road in the metropolitan cities and urban towns.
e. Check vehicle particulars.
f. Take active involvement and/or participate in all intra-city road traffic and general vehicle administration, management and control and other related matters.
g. Formulate policies including, organized fora, symposia, conferences, workshops, courses and retraining that shall assist the road traffic control administration and management of the sub- sector to achieve desired goal in the nation's metropolitan cities and urban towns.
h. Assist vehicle Drivers tow and/or rescue broken down vehicles out of the road corridor, to safe placers), to avoid traffic hold-up, go- slow or road obstruction, blockade and congestion.
i. Survey and/or investigate traffic related matters and car/vehicle theft.
j. Prosecute traffic offender(s) (in case of major/fatal accident) to Court and/or charge other traffic offenders(s) (in case of minor accident) to pay instant fine with official receipt issued thereupon.
k. Assist Pedestrians to cross major roads safely and/or encourage pedestrians to use the footbridge where available.
l. Generate income through the enforcement of daily toll fee on all Commercial vehicles and Motorcycles/Tricycles plying the intra-city arid urban roads.
m. Develop commercial car/vehicle parks) at strategic points or where necessary with the aim of clearing and/or discouraging road side parking habit along major roads in the metropolitan cities and urban towns.
n. Relate with the Parent or Supervising Ministry and/or other arms of the government for purpose of rendering or remitting the proceeds (from the activities of paragraphs "l" and "m"wink appropriately.
o. Protect lives, properties and road infrastructures round the cities and urban towns from willful and/or intentional damage by Motorists and/or Road users.
p. Involve in vehicle fire fighting on the road; evacuate and/or dispose off the remains, to appropriate environment.
q. Assist other Security and Law-enforcement Agencies in combating crime involving vehicles(s) on the road within the cities and urban towns.
r. Traffic Wardens shall be trained in fire fighting, to sequel fire outbreak in burning vehicles on the road and evacuation.
s. Liaise with other Security Agencies in combating and preventing crime involving vehicles(s) and on the road.

12. In order to facilitate the proper discharge of its functions and the exercise of the powers conferred on the Service by this Act, there shall be established for the Service the following administrative and operational departments, namely:
(a) the Department of State Coordination and Operations;
(b) the Department of Administration and Human Resources;
(c) the Department of Finance;
(d) the Department of Procurement and Supply;
(e) the Legal and Corporate Services Department;
(f) the Department of Training and Research;
(g) the Department of Information, Communication and Technology

13. A traffic warden shall be entitled to
(a) Accommodation allowance;
(b) Transport allowance;
(c) Torch light allowance;
(d) Meal subsidy allowance;
(e) Kits (uniform) allowance;
(f) Insurance scheme;
(g) Housing scheme;
(h) Leave allowance;
(i) Other allowances as may be approved by the Revenue Mobilization Allocation and Fiscal Commission;
(j) Every Traffic Warden is also entitled to benefit from the National Health Insurance Scheme, NHIS.

14. There shall be established for the Service Traffic Warden Training Colleges in each geo-political zone of the federation, designated, College of Road Traffic Control and the Institute of Road Traffic Management and Transport Technology for the purpose of training of eligible persons employed as Traffic Wardens under this Act.
The Traffic Warden Training College shall be manned by Training Instructors whose educational qualification shall not be less than a First Degree or its equivalent and other Service Personnel that may be drafted, deployed or posted to the college. The Officer in-Charge of the Training Colleges shall be designated as the Commandant, College of Road Traffic Control. The Institute shall be headed by a Commandant equivalent to a Rector of a conventional polytechnic. There shall also be other Professional Schools established for the purpose of training and retraining of Traffic Warden Personnel to enhance their professional backgrounds and skills.

THE UNCERTAINTIES

1. According to a recent article about the TWS wanting to employ 1.4million Nigerians.........if they are to use the standard CONPASS, how do they intend to pay these 1.4million people? NSCDC, NIS, NPS, NFS and FRSC do not have a combined staff strength of up to 200,000. How then, can only the TWS employ 1.4million. If you ask me, it sounds like an over-exaggeration.

2. Since there is an act backing the establishment of an independent Traffic Warden Service (TWS) and recognized by the President of Nigeria, what is the need and role of the NGO helping with the set-up of the service?

EXTRAS

1. The Transitional Management Committee may soon announce for recruitment on the dailies. I will advise those who are being skeptical to grab this opportunity. Even top politicians have started sending their lists and some people are already certain of entering into the TWS.

Best of Luck!!!!

I summarized a lot.......if you still find it hard to read through, I can't help you.

Please, I am not a staff of TMC or TWS, therefore no one should send a PM, I wont reply. All questions should be directed here and I'll answer them accordingly.

3 Likes

Re: The Current Facts And Uncertainties About The Nigerian Traffic Warden Service by vicope: 10:48am On Feb 16, 2015
This is what the recruitment application form will look like.

Guess some of you have seen it already.
Re: The Current Facts And Uncertainties About The Nigerian Traffic Warden Service by clemz88(m): 12:23pm On Feb 16, 2015
Mtcheew. Unrealistic.
Re: The Current Facts And Uncertainties About The Nigerian Traffic Warden Service by vicope: 4:07pm On Feb 16, 2015
clemz88:
Mtcheew. Unrealistic.
Someone like you will be among those who will rush to obtain the form when it is finally announced. I know your type. grin
Re: The Current Facts And Uncertainties About The Nigerian Traffic Warden Service by clemz88(m): 5:08pm On Feb 16, 2015
vicope:

Someone like you will be among those who will rush to obtain the form when it is finally announced. I know your type. grin
y not
Re: The Current Facts And Uncertainties About The Nigerian Traffic Warden Service by akeneobi(m): 6:28pm On Feb 16, 2015
The forms have been out since last year.
Re: The Current Facts And Uncertainties About The Nigerian Traffic Warden Service by vicope: 12:45am On Feb 17, 2015
akeneobi:
The forms have been out since last year.
You are right.
Re: The Current Facts And Uncertainties About The Nigerian Traffic Warden Service by stargrip: 1:22pm On May 21, 2015
helloo vicope before i ask my question i like to point out smth, where u said the combined staff strenght of the list of force organisations u mentioned in the article not to be more than 200,000 i think that figure is not correct, pls do ur findings again, now my question is when exertly do they intend to commence their recruitment training?
Re: The Current Facts And Uncertainties About The Nigerian Traffic Warden Service by Valthegreat(m): 7:41pm On May 21, 2015
@op Please do you know anywhere I can get the form or go for enquiries in Imo state or South East here?
Re: The Current Facts And Uncertainties About The Nigerian Traffic Warden Service by stargrip: 3:59pm On May 22, 2015
@val i dnt tink there is a defined place to get except u gat a link to whoever has $ knws abt it, as it is not yet made public as i supos
Re: The Current Facts And Uncertainties About The Nigerian Traffic Warden Service by Valthegreat(m): 7:24pm On May 22, 2015
@stargrip please do you know any class of people or the kind of office I can go to seek info or start networking for it now, am really interested in this. Help me I beg.
Re: The Current Facts And Uncertainties About The Nigerian Traffic Warden Service by stargrip: 11:14pm On May 22, 2015
val wish i knew, i tink vicope could help with dt bt he's not responding
Re: The Current Facts And Uncertainties About The Nigerian Traffic Warden Service by Valthegreat(m): 3:07pm On May 23, 2015
Vicope please help a brother in need oo!
Re: The Current Facts And Uncertainties About The Nigerian Traffic Warden Service by akeneobi(m): 4:48pm On May 23, 2015
Valthegreat:
Vicope please help a brother in need oo!

Sent u an email earlier. Some of d forms were filled & submitted since Nov last yr. Am in abj though, dats where I can help u.
Re: The Current Facts And Uncertainties About The Nigerian Traffic Warden Service by Valthegreat(m): 9:16pm On May 23, 2015
@akeneobi I have replied ur mail please can we discuss further on phone 07035462782
Re: The Current Facts And Uncertainties About The Nigerian Traffic Warden Service by murphybo(m): 5:05pm On Jun 09, 2015
Pls i have a friend that has got d form since last yr around november and he has been sent message to resume camp by july 13 bt he's to pay #10k for trainning materials pls wts d advice for him cos hes so much confused
Re: The Current Facts And Uncertainties About The Nigerian Traffic Warden Service by akeneobi(m): 5:36pm On Jun 09, 2015
murphybo:
Pls i have a friend that has got d form since last yr around november and he has been sent message to resume camp by july 13 bt he's to pay #10k for trainning materials pls wts d advice for him cos hes so much confused

Camp where? Pls guys, nothing yet has been announced for any training. We will all know when dey start calling.
Re: The Current Facts And Uncertainties About The Nigerian Traffic Warden Service by murphybo(m): 6:23pm On Jun 09, 2015
akeneobi:

Camp where? Pls guys, nothing yet has been announced for any training. We will all know when dey start calling.
Bro am part of d process since the beginning and they say the trainnig venue is calabar for supplementary employment first d form d process looks so real bt d training fee of 10k is d only prob
Re: The Current Facts And Uncertainties About The Nigerian Traffic Warden Service by stargrip: 4:20pm On Jun 12, 2015
murphybo:

Bro am part of d process since the beginning and they say the trainnig venue is calabar for supplementary employment first d form d process looks so real bt d training fee of 10k is d only prob

hllo Murphy, kindly reach me....
Re: The Current Facts And Uncertainties About The Nigerian Traffic Warden Service by Lukumano: 6:09pm On Jun 17, 2015
[quote
hllo @ Murphy, Pls i apply 2013 .......... Since then no respond not until end of May this year ..... msg was sent to me for train in C/R wit payment of 10k for training material with a phone no.......
Re: The Current Facts And Uncertainties About The Nigerian Traffic Warden Service by Ifiegboria(m): 1:22am On Jun 18, 2015
I'm interested too. Where can I get the form?
Re: The Current Facts And Uncertainties About The Nigerian Traffic Warden Service by Adeniyi4real(m): 12:48am On Jun 20, 2015
whats happening here ! it seems people are no longer saying anything about this issue or has it gone forever like that...........!
Re: The Current Facts And Uncertainties About The Nigerian Traffic Warden Service by stargrip: 7:43pm On Sep 08, 2015
all decision lies on whose hands now for long delay?
Re: The Current Facts And Uncertainties About The Nigerian Traffic Warden Service by akeneobi(m): 2:25pm On Nov 30, 2015
Just got dis, pls house any news?

Official numbers for enquiries about the traffic warden service job

08184186857 and

Re: The Current Facts And Uncertainties About The Nigerian Traffic Warden Service by stargrip: 12:55pm On Jul 01, 2016
There seem to be something going on for sometime now....
Re: The Current Facts And Uncertainties About The Nigerian Traffic Warden Service by akeneobi(m): 8:16am On Jul 02, 2016
something like what?
Re: The Current Facts And Uncertainties About The Nigerian Traffic Warden Service by stargrip: 4:07pm On Jul 02, 2016
A redress going on in the House
Re: The Current Facts And Uncertainties About The Nigerian Traffic Warden Service by akeneobi(m): 9:19am On Jul 04, 2016
OK. Is it a redress for d job's approval? Commencement? or rejection? Kindly brief d house on information you have. Thanks.
Re: The Current Facts And Uncertainties About The Nigerian Traffic Warden Service by stargrip: 2:39pm On Jul 05, 2016
One of us here(I believ) sent me an update dt he wz present @ d briefing in d house $ according to him tins are moving positively
Re: The Current Facts And Uncertainties About The Nigerian Traffic Warden Service by Mobi47(m): 7:09am On Jul 18, 2020
murphybo:

bro concerning this your statement, how far? what later happened. Are u in now. I just got the form too but don't know if it is real
Re: The Current Facts And Uncertainties About The Nigerian Traffic Warden Service by murphybo(m): 5:20pm On Jul 18, 2020
Mobi47:
bro concerning this your statement, how far? what later happened. Are u in now. I just got the form too but don't know if it is real
I.no dey hear anything again o
Re: The Current Facts And Uncertainties About The Nigerian Traffic Warden Service by Mobi47(m): 12:48pm On Jul 24, 2020
murphybo:

I.no dey hear anything again o
I just submitted my form on Tuesday sha. I was told that we will be called soon.

(1) (Reply)

BELOXXI Recruitment!!!! / N-Power - The Effect Of Late PPA Enrollment / ARE YOU A JOB-SEEKING GRADUATE? DOWNLOAD “SHL QUESTIONS PDF-CATEGORY A” @ ₦0.00

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 72
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.