Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,836 members, 7,810,215 topics. Date: Saturday, 27 April 2024 at 12:17 AM

Help A Brother! How Can I Improve My Oral Articulation? - Literature - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Literature / Help A Brother! How Can I Improve My Oral Articulation? (1020 Views)

King Of Sex(oral ,anal And Hard Fucking Involved 18++++ / King Of Sex (oral, Anal, Licking Involved 18+ Be Warned / 7 Amazing Tips To Improve Your Writing Skills Quickly (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Help A Brother! How Can I Improve My Oral Articulation? by YourAncestor: 8:19pm On Feb 16, 2015
I am not sure if this is the appropriate section to post this, but please pardon my me.

I grew up in an environment where english language is not used as a communication tool, which make us communicate in our indigenous language while we neglect the official language (english language).
Its no longer alien that English language is the official language in Nigeria, which means; one must learn how to use it as a means of communication, either by writing or speaking.
The problem I have is that I can't fluently and effectively speak the language, i always end up embarrassing myself when communicating with a person. I notice that I don't effectively communicate what's on my mind and that's really giving a though time.
I have tried my best possible to improve my oral skill, but I still end up speaking like a Japanese kid just learning the language. I have read a lot of novels, journals, newspapers, magazines etc, all in a bid to improve my oral communicating skill. It even got to a point where I had to start carrying a notebook to write down some oral expression when listening to my radio or any talk TV program. This has led to un-friending of some of my friends that only speak my indigenous language while making new friends with those that can speak english fluently, yet i haven't made any considerable improvement. I am starting to think that this has something to do with the linguistic sector of my brain, but I hope not. I also went online but it didn't help. Although I am still fair in writing down my mind, but my oral articulation of english language is something below poor.

To meet-up with the world demand, I believe one should be able to communicate effectively and fluently with two or more languages: both written and oral.

Please, I desperately need tips on how to improve my oral communication skill with english language..

Thanks and God bless as you try to help a brother...
Re: Help A Brother! How Can I Improve My Oral Articulation? by adanduka: 8:24pm On Feb 16, 2015
Stop watching local films & start watching US movies.
Watch CNN instead of NTA.
Listen to Jonathan rather than Buhari. grin
Re: Help A Brother! How Can I Improve My Oral Articulation? by SMALLPENIS(f): 8:25pm On Feb 16, 2015
Eyya, I like your passion, why not try buying oral english casettes and then get an intonation textbook and dictionary to see how words are pronounced.

Interestingly, you write well undecided *in mama peace voice*
Re: Help A Brother! How Can I Improve My Oral Articulation? by neutrotoba(m): 8:28pm On Feb 16, 2015
You write amazingly well bro... I guess I used to have that problem too, but competence in a language most times is not measured by performance, so long yhu knw wot is grammatical and ungrammatical in English den ur problem is half solved... Try doing these things.

1. Whenever ur reading a novel, read it out loud to urself, Datz like practicing, n if u stutter on a paragraph, read it again.

2. Practice slow speech. Most of our fathers and grandpas didn't start out with English, they learnt it while growing up as well. Yhu'd find most of dem using all sorts of mannerisms while speaking English, such as: aaaah, eeerrm, "you know", while dey speak as slow as possible, this enables them to think and arrange all their sentences in their head before letting them out. Try that too.

3. Be confident, forget the mistakes you av made in d past while speaking English, if ur speaking wit some1 n u make a mistake quickly rephrase n say pardon with a smile, the person might mistake it for absent mindedness... if yhu need more tips contact me, (am a linguist in embryo, and some1 who used to be in ur shoes) 07031878637, 2BCF853E
Re: Help A Brother! How Can I Improve My Oral Articulation? by Nobody: 8:30pm On Feb 16, 2015
adanduka:
Stop watching local films & start watching US movies.
Watch CNN instead of NTA.
Listen to Jonathan rather than Buhari. grin

Lol @ bolded

To be safe, just stick with "watch CNN instead of NTA" grin
Re: Help A Brother! How Can I Improve My Oral Articulation? by KehindeAwoniyi(m): 8:38pm On Feb 16, 2015
Surround yourself with people who command goid use of the language, speak to yourself in the mirror, laugh at yourself when you make mistakes, watch more Hollywood movies, listen to public speakers , don't be downcast rather, persist and in no time, you will find yourself doing better
Re: Help A Brother! How Can I Improve My Oral Articulation? by KehindeAwoniyi(m): 8:39pm On Feb 16, 2015
Surround yourself with people who command good use of the language, speak to yourself in the mirror, laugh at yourself when you make mistakes, watch more Hollywood movies, listen to public speakers , don't be downcast rather, persist and in no time, you will find yourself doing better
Re: Help A Brother! How Can I Improve My Oral Articulation? by Francman(m): 8:50pm On Feb 16, 2015
U only learn it by practising it! It will b difficult (and embarrassing) initially.
See, it was only from my campus days that I began to communicate well orally in Eng. I forced myself.
Re: Help A Brother! How Can I Improve My Oral Articulation? by Nobody: 8:52pm On Feb 16, 2015
Practice! Practice!! Practice!!! U'll make mistakes...yeah, normal. No one learns a foreign language without mistakes. When u do, laugh over it. The other person will know u know it's a mistake. With much practice and association with fluent speakers of the language, u'll improve
Re: Help A Brother! How Can I Improve My Oral Articulation? by ruffhandu: 9:53pm On Feb 16, 2015
Hmn, some say 'watch Hollywood movies'. I don't go with that because he doesn't seem to be prepped for that yet. Recommended Nigerian English movies will be OK for now, so you see how great your fellow Nigerians are doing it.

@OP, interact with people and speak more. In fact, give yourself a local language-speaking ban, not even pidgin, speak only English.
It doesn't have anything to do with your brain, since you speak your local language well. You learn to speak better by speaking.
Cheers!
Re: Help A Brother! How Can I Improve My Oral Articulation? by itstpia8: 6:37am On Feb 17, 2015
another one?

(1) (Reply)

.................... / He Looked Just Like Him! / Nysc Camp Experiences (episode 4)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 21
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.