Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,833 members, 7,810,205 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 11:44 PM

Chess Basics For Beginners - Gaming (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Gaming / Chess Basics For Beginners (24853 Views)

How Can I Improve On My Skills In Playing CHESS? / Play Chess For The Orphans On A Giant Chess Mat / Play Chess And Make Good Money At Friends Of Chess Competition ( March 24-28) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Chess Basics For Beginners by tushbobo(m): 10:11am On Feb 21, 2015
That "queen in the center" diagram just reinforces how powerful the queen is... but sometimes she may be just powerless depending on the position.
Good one.

1 Like

Re: Chess Basics For Beginners by joywendy(f): 10:18am On Feb 21, 2015
prof800 shocked seriously? i don't even know how people play that game sef

Tushbobo exactly! wink thanks smiley
Re: Chess Basics For Beginners by joywendy(f): 10:29am On Feb 21, 2015
The king captures the way it moves true but it cant capture a piece that is being protected by another piece.

The first picture the king can take this piece, now note the the king is under Attack by the rook i.e In CHECK. the king has to move or he takes the piece.

The second pic is a bit complex now has the same dark square bishop is protecting the rook, the king CAN'T CAPTURE because capturing will just put him under another attack so it i better for him to move to a square that is not under attack.

Re: Chess Basics For Beginners by joywendy(f): 10:36am On Feb 21, 2015
He is the King and the king has rules to abide by grin

TWO KINGS CANNOT STAND SIDE BY SIDE. THEY CANNOT FACE EACH OTHER. IT IS COMPLETELY ILLEGAL!!

The picture below is completely illegal and unheard of. how can two kings be checking themselves at the same time? it isn't even logical

1 Like

Re: Chess Basics For Beginners by tushbobo(m): 10:42am On Feb 21, 2015
Emeka71:
@joy; good job done in explanations. I have really updated My knowledge of chess. I play with computer but very tough to win even when I have My King, Queen, rookie, and a pawn Whereas the computer has Just the King left I will still be unable to checkmate. The king will keep finding a way until a draw is declared. Is the computer cheating Me or what?

What you are doing wrong is that you haven't learnt basic checkmating techniques.
With queen rook and pawn, what you should do is leave your pawn alone and perform the "queen and rook roll" or the "bicycle".
If the pawn is advanced you may promote it and still mate with "queen and rook roll".
Ideally, you should be able to win with the rook and king or queen and king if that's the only available material.
In the "queen and rook roll" the queen supports the rook two ranks away as it checks the opponent king. When the king moves, the queen comes to the same rank as the rook to check the king. The process is repeated rolling the king back till it's mated.
In the bicycle, the queen and rook form barriers on 2 ranks or files while alternately taking checking the king forcing it to move back till mate.
You can google these on google images to have a pictorial idea. A picture means more than a thousand words u know.

1 Like

Re: Chess Basics For Beginners by joywendy(f): 11:02am On Feb 21, 2015
Phew that brings us to the end of lesson 3 cheesy

To the chess masters in the house, any suggestions? any additions, subtraction? grin

To the newbies and semi newbies grin Any questions? any area that is a bit confusing?
cc:
promsmans12
cocolav
luxanne
maccoka
collinz2
baddestguyp
kandiikane
macmilla

1 Like

Re: Chess Basics For Beginners by Collinz2(m): 12:33pm On Feb 21, 2015
I gat no question for the part u just taught. U part i dont get u have not teach there.

1 Like

Re: Chess Basics For Beginners by MacCoka: 7:42pm On Feb 21, 2015
no questions,no problems...thanks ma'am

1 Like

Re: Chess Basics For Beginners by Macmilla(m): 12:02am On Feb 22, 2015
Please, does the king have any special moves? Something that has to do with the rooks.

1 Like

Re: Chess Basics For Beginners by Collinz2(m): 7:25am On Feb 22, 2015
Macmilla:
Please, does the king have any special moves? Something that has to do with the rooks.
no special move, the king move one step to any direction as long as he is not block by any other piece in that direction.
Re: Chess Basics For Beginners by joywendy(f): 8:40am On Feb 22, 2015
Collinz2:
no special move, the king move one step to any direction as long as he is not block by any other piece in that direction.
good morning..

actually it does have a special move. check the king moves again which i edited yesterday.

It is called 'castling'

Macmilla it will be discussed in the next lesson smiley
Re: Chess Basics For Beginners by Nobody: 12:09pm On Feb 22, 2015
Joywendy, thanks a lot for this tutorial... I can say my understanding of the game has increased to like 30%. I'll try getting a board soon, but no one to play with 'cos of my present location. Is there anyway I can play with someone online?

1 Like

Re: Chess Basics For Beginners by joywendy(f): 1:16pm On Feb 22, 2015
promsman12:
Joywendy, thanks a lot for this tutorial... I can say my understanding of the game has increased to like 30%. I'll try getting a board soon, but no one to play with 'cos of my present location. Is there anyway I can play with someone online?

You are welcome smiley

Yes there is a way to play online.

there are plenty sites that you can play on.

you can check this link and see some of the top chess sites
www.pogonina.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=778&Itemid=1&lang=english

if l may ask what kind of phone do you use?
Re: Chess Basics For Beginners by Nobody: 7:28pm On Feb 22, 2015
joywendy:

You are welcome smiley

www.pogonina.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=778&Itemid=1&lang=english

wink
joywendy:

You are welcome smiley

Nokia 3310i... Just kidding, I use a Blackberry...
Re: Chess Basics For Beginners by joywendy(f): 7:32pm On Feb 22, 2015
promsman12:

wink

Nokia 3310i... Just kidding, I use a Blackberry...

lol grin

Then you can visit your blackberry world and download LS chess.
Re: Chess Basics For Beginners by Collinz2(m): 7:58pm On Feb 22, 2015
joywendy:

good morning..

actually it does have a special move. check the king moves again which i edited yesterday.

It is called 'castling'

Macmilla it will be discussed in the next lesson smiley
oh! I missed, but thats when the king want protection from the rook.
Re: Chess Basics For Beginners by Nobody: 8:09pm On Feb 22, 2015
joywendy:

lol grin

Then you can visit your blackberry world and download LS chess.
I've downloaded it, but it's like the players it connects me to are not usually online. I even downloaded another one, after 'playing' the pre-junior level I realized I downloaded the demo version of it. I'll try getting a good one...
Re: Chess Basics For Beginners by Macmilla(m): 1:01am On Feb 23, 2015
Is there a chess app dt will allow me play with my friends over the Internet or bbm?
Re: Chess Basics For Beginners by joshphorlarb: 11:56am On Feb 23, 2015
luxanne:

Yes ma'am cheesy

Two queens on board, cool cheesy so you saying asides the 16 pieces (8 pawns, 1 king, 1 queen, 2 bishops, 2 knights and 2 rooks) used in play, we still have extra piece to be used for promotions? If yes? How many pieces in total does a chess game have?

Record taking I meant, just like calculating scores in a scrabble game, I believe the chess game also has her own way of getting and entering scores right?
Given each of this piece has their points just like the lecture teaches
"(Every piece has a value and each of the values are as follows.
pawn= 1 point
bishop= 3 points
knights = 3 points
( they are both the same, pls don't ask why)
rooks = 5 points
Queen= 9 points (she is equivalent to 9 pawns imagine )
king = no point ( the king never leaves the board if you are able to get the king i.e checkmate then the game is over)"

How are these points derived and entered during play and recording? Or better yet, what's the essence of these points attributed to each piece?
yesss.. But i think the king can also be useful in the endgame .i once saw where the king was assigned a value of 3.5 due to the role it plays in the end game.
Re: Chess Basics For Beginners by joywendy(f): 11:23am On Feb 24, 2015
Macmilla:
Is there a chess app dt will allow me play with my friends over the Internet or bbm?
On blackberry? the only one i know that can do that is LS chess. That's the only chess app i know on BB.
Re: Chess Basics For Beginners by joywendy(f): 11:26am On Feb 24, 2015
joshphorlarb:
yesss.. But i think the king can also be useful in the endgame .i once saw where the king was assigned a value of 3.5 due to the role it plays in the end game.

Really? shocked

interesting.
i know the king can be useful in the endgame but not sure of the value given to it.

where was that?

chess gurus how possible is this? For the king to be assigned a value?

tushbobo
jayriginal
switch47
ToyinDipo
saintneo
prof800
haywhy28
Re: Chess Basics For Beginners by Nobody: 11:44am On Feb 24, 2015
joywendy:

Really? shocked

interesting.
i know the king can be useful in the endgame but not sure of the value given to it.

where was that?

tushbobo
jayriginal
switch47
ToyinDipo
saintneo
prof800
haywhy28
The king is absolutely priceless.

1 Like

Re: Chess Basics For Beginners by Nobody: 11:56am On Feb 24, 2015
joshphorlarb:
The king is priceless.Moreover,the value system has been faulted because it doesn't consider position and tactics. In some positions,the bishop is more valuable than the queen.
The points for each piece are follows;
Queen 9
Rook 5
Bishop and knight 3
Pawn 1
Yes,in the engame you try as much as possible to get the opposition,that should be your aim. You try as much as you can to navigate the king to your desired square and at the same time, you defend by hindering your opponent from reaching his desired square. So the king becomes a fighting piece. The endgame is a complex part of the game you have to study hard.

1 Like

Re: Chess Basics For Beginners by saintneo(m): 12:07pm On Feb 24, 2015
Chess can be played without any of the pieces except the King, so far the king is in the game there is potential of getting a draw at least; consequently, the king is the game itself.

1 Like

Re: Chess Basics For Beginners by prof800(m): 2:42pm On Feb 24, 2015
I'm with haywhy28 on this one.

1 Like

Re: Chess Basics For Beginners by joshphorlarb: 7:25pm On Feb 24, 2015
Googling this will remove ur doubt. GM lasker even assigned the king a value
joywendy:

Really? shocked

interesting.

where was that?

tushbobo
jayriginal
switch47
ToyinDipo
saintneo
prof800
haywhy28
Re: Chess Basics For Beginners by ToyinDipo(m): 8:55pm On Feb 24, 2015
joywendy:
Thanks ToyinDipo smiley

You welcome Joy.

@joshphorlarb

Can you let us know the value MG lasker assigned to a king, or you may provide us with a link as a proof.

A king is assigned ∞ as value, because it is a priceless piece, period.

2 Likes

Re: Chess Basics For Beginners by chessguru(m): 5:54am On Feb 26, 2015
@joywendy Howdy? i like the concept of this thread. Thunb up !! weldone

1 Like

Re: Chess Basics For Beginners by chessguru(m): 6:01am On Feb 26, 2015
ToyinDipo:

You welcome Joy.

@joshphorlarb

Can you let us know the value MG lasker assigned to a king, or you may provide us with a link as a proof.

A king is assigned ∞ as value, because it is a priceless piece, period.

The King usually is not given a value because it can not be exchanged with another piece on board. The value of a chess piece also depends on the position on board, the basic value as reflected above is from a starting position and from a general rule perspective.... as the game progresses and one' knowledge of the game expands one will realize that in certain positions the Knight could be more valuable than a Rook or Bishop depending on the usefulness in the position. The Value assigned to a king by any Grand master Dead or alive could only be academic and might be based on what the king is contributing to the battle in a given position that is an activated king who is no longer in hiding.

1 Like

Re: Chess Basics For Beginners by joywendy(f): 8:01am On Feb 26, 2015
LESSON 4: CHESS TERMINOLOGIES

Now that we have gotten the arrangement and basic movement of each piece. There are some chess terms that a chess player supposed to know.

so we will be discussing them in this lesson smiley

1. Ranks and files : I have already explained this before in the previous lesson. But has a good reminder to us all. I would like us to put this mind smiley
Thos term is actually a term
Ranks refers to rows
Files refer to columns

Ranks numbered 1-8.
Each chessboard has eight
ranks, which are numbered from the bottom
of the board (where the white pieces start)
on up.

Files lettered A-H

so don't act all surprised when i start using those terms cheesy

1 Like

Re: Chess Basics For Beginners by joywendy(f): 8:06am On Feb 26, 2015
would come back later in the evening to finish up on ranks and files and go on to the next terms.

thanks @chessguru nice to see you once again cheesy

1 Like

Re: Chess Basics For Beginners by chessguru(m): 8:18am On Feb 26, 2015
@Joywendy many thanks... i will be more constant now

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

How To Fix VRAM Issues On Pes 2016, Changing Your Shared VRAM To Dedicated VRAM / Hack And Install Games On Your PS4 Console, For As Low As 1K Each. / Google Condemned For Advertising LUV Game That Promotes Rape And Incest

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 68
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.