Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,775 members, 7,817,188 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 08:01 AM

Chess Basics For Beginners - Gaming (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Gaming / Chess Basics For Beginners (24942 Views)

How Can I Improve On My Skills In Playing CHESS? / Play Chess For The Orphans On A Giant Chess Mat / Play Chess And Make Good Money At Friends Of Chess Competition ( March 24-28) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Chess Basics For Beginners by Nipeks(m): 5:34am On Feb 27, 2015
Play my Chess game I wrote with pure PHP/HTML/JavaScript here

Invite any of your friends to play against you.

1 Like

Re: Chess Basics For Beginners by joywendy(f): 3:14pm On Feb 27, 2015
sorry yall i was a bit tired yesterday evening, so i couldn't post like i promised. my apologies

continuation.....
We use these numbers and letters on the (rank and files)to describe where pieces are on the chessboard.
(THIS IS REFERRED TO AS THE CHESS NOTATION)

The picture below shows the name of all the squares on the chess board.

Notice how the letter always comes first and the
number follows it.

i.e the Rank letter first then the File number.

so if i say b6.

i mean B File 6th Rank.

Trace where B file is to the 6th rank

i know some people will look at this and be like "wetin be this?" grin But to be honest, it isn't hard at all. With constant practice you will get the hand of it wink

1 Like

Re: Chess Basics For Beginners by joywendy(f): 6:39pm On Feb 27, 2015
2. CHESS NOTATION

Originally, i was planning on expatiating on this, under rank and files because the chess notation itself deals with ranks and files. But then again the chess notation is more than just ranks and files. It is so broad that there are various books and articles on them as we have various notations in chess. I just have to mention this a bit when talking about ranks and files so it would be easier to understand.

This is the beginner class so i will just brief you on the most common and used notation.

First of all what is a chess notation?

Like i said earlier :It is used To describe where pieces are on the chessboard i.e the positions of the pieces on board and also to record the moves made in a game of chess.

Chess notation is the best way to keep track
of games, so that you can replay them to know your strength and weakness, understand mistakes, even to impress that guy or babe somewhere grin (reader discretion is advised, if it goes wrong no come here oh tongue) etc

1 Like

Re: Chess Basics For Beginners by ToyinDipo(m): 11:10pm On Feb 27, 2015
chessguru:
The King usually is not given a value because it can not be exchanged with another piece on board. The value of a chess piece also depends on the position on board, the basic value as reflected above is from a starting position and from a general rule perspective.... as the game progresses and one' knowledge of the game expands one will realize that in certain positions the Knight could be more valuable than a Rook or Bishop depending on the usefulness in the position. The Value assigned to a king by any Grand master Dead or alive could only be academic and might be based on what the king is contributing to the battle in a given position that is an activated king who is no longer in hiding.

Noted boss. But in this book: Bobby Fischer teaches chess, on page 24, relative values were assigned to chess pieces, and infinity was assigned to the king.
Re: Chess Basics For Beginners by luxanne(f): 10:03pm On Mar 02, 2015
Lotta catching up to do, welldone Joywendy smiley

1 Like

Re: Chess Basics For Beginners by Nobody: 1:26am On Mar 03, 2015
Where is the teacher??

1 Like

Re: Chess Basics For Beginners by joywendy(f): 6:30am On Mar 04, 2015
goofyone:
Where is the teacher??

i'm here

Hello,want to join the class? u are free just seat by and watch wink

sorry everyone for my off and on absence.
Re: Chess Basics For Beginners by joywendy(f): 6:57am On Mar 04, 2015
continuation.....

chess notations comes in different forms but the most common and widely used is the algebraic notation.

The pieces (apart from the pawn) are identified by an upper case letter, usually the first letter of the piece in question.

here are our symbols used in algebraic notation.

K refers to the King

Q refers to the Queen

B refers to the Bishop

N refers to the Knight ( the letter K as already been assigned to the King so the second letter in the word Knight has been used to identify the piece)

R refers to the Rook

'x' means to take or capture ( this sign is usually used when a piece is about to take another piece)

'+' refers to when the king is under check.

# refers to Checkmate

= sign is used when a pawn wants to promote to another piece

O-O This refers to king side castling the reason for this two "o"s is because the rook moves two squares before he meets the king

O-O-O This refers to the queen side castling the reason for this 3 'o's is because the Rook moves three spaces before he meets the king.

e.p. means en passant the special move by the pawn.

( sorry i know i haven't touched on this yet but you will understand as i go further)

1-0 this means that black has either lost the game by checkmate or resignation( 1 win for white 0 for black)

0-1 this means that white has either lost the game by resignation or checkmate (0 for white and 1 win for black)

1/2 -1/2 This means there is a draw between black and white.

as for the pawn it is identified by the square it moves to like i said before notations deals with ranks and files and the letters of the files come first before the numbers.

for example g5 is indicated in the picture below.
you trace from g file to the 5th rank.

1 Like

Re: Chess Basics For Beginners by joywendy(f): 8:09am On Mar 04, 2015
okay

so how does one describe or use this symbols?

To describe a move,

A move is described by the piece that is
moving and the destination square .i.e the square it is landing on or moving to

An example: Nf3 . the ' N' means
that a Knight is moving. The ' f3 ' means the
square that the Knight is moving to.

Pawn moves are very different like i said earlier.

A Pawn move is described or recorded just by the destination square i.e the square the pawn is moving to or is landing on

Example: e4 . In this case, the fact that there is
no piece symbol (like K,Q etc) before the e4 tells us that a Pawn is moving.
The ' e4 ' tells us that the Pawn is moving to the
e4 square.

The picture below shows the pawn has moved from it's original position on e2 to the e4 square.

the 3rd and 4th pic describes how the night moves from it's original square on g1 to f3

1 Like

Re: Chess Basics For Beginners by joywendy(f): 8:51am On Mar 04, 2015
NOTE:

it is possible for us to have two or more of the same pieces which can land on the same square. we have to identify the square it is moving from to the square it is going to to.

Take the move Nf3 for example. If there was a knight at d2 and another knight at g1, then we need to show which one made the move. This is done by placing a character (i.e either the rank or file the piece is on) after the piece symbol.

Most times the file of the moving piece is used.
Example: Ngf3 . This shows that the knight on
the g file moved to f3.

1 Like

Re: Chess Basics For Beginners by joywendy(f): 11:28am On Mar 04, 2015
When capturing....

The ' x ' symbol is placed in between the two components of the move. i.e in between the piece symbol and the square of the piece that is been captured.

Example: Bxc6 . This means that the Bishop has
captured a piece on the c6 square. Which is the knight.

picture below to confirm.

remember the same rule for movement also applies when capturing

it is possible for us to have two or more of the
same pieces which can land on the same square.
we have to identify the square it is moving from
to the square it is going to to.

in the pic below either the rook on the A file or F file can take the Queen on c1.

e.g Raxc1 meaning that the Rook on the A file captured the piece on the c1 square.

For Pawns, the file of the attacking pawn is used
in place of the piece symbol. i.e the file of the pawn that wants to capture.

Example: exd5 . This means that a pawn on the e
file has captured a piece at d5.

1 Like

Re: Chess Basics For Beginners by Lucario007(m): 12:28pm On Mar 04, 2015
Fascinating... Even I have learned something here, but don't forget to brush up on the en passant and the castling so people will grasp those ideas.

1 Like

Re: Chess Basics For Beginners by joywendy(f): 12:35pm On Mar 04, 2015
To demonstrate how to write down this moves

The moves are written in two numbered vertical columns like this:

1. e4 d5

2. exd5 Qxd5

The first column is for the White moves and the
second column is for the Black moves.

1.e4 d5
white plays his pawn to e4 square(1st pic from white's view)
black plays his pawn to d5 (2nd pic from black's view)

2. exd5 Qxd5
White's pawn on the E File takes black piece on d5 (3rd pic from white's view)

Black queen takes white's piece on d5 ( Last pic from black's view)

1 Like

Re: Chess Basics For Beginners by joywendy(f): 1:50pm On Mar 04, 2015
lucario007 thanks smiley of course i won't
Re: Chess Basics For Beginners by luxanne(f): 4:20pm On Mar 04, 2015
Finally done reading all I've missed. Wow! What an educating read cheesy

Thanks Joywendy for your time, really do appreciate your efforts in this smiley

Hmm. Didn't know the king could even move 2 steps (castling), looking forward to that lecture.

Btw, its only in chess I've come to see that the Queen protects her King, in reality, no be so o the King is considered a weakling or coward if he dares it gringringrin chei, this chess King sha angry

2 Likes

Re: Chess Basics For Beginners by Nobody: 10:49pm On Mar 04, 2015
joywendy:

i'm here

Hello,want to join the class? u are free just seat by and watch wink

sorry everyone for my off and on absence.

Okay, I'm right here smiley

1 Like

Re: Chess Basics For Beginners by joywendy(f): 12:07pm On Mar 06, 2015
luxanne lolz abi oh, The king is a very wierd piece angry
Thanks btw and glad it helped...

goofyone welcome smiley i put our game on the other thread btw let's analyze there.
Re: Chess Basics For Beginners by luxanne(f): 2:15pm On Mar 06, 2015
joywendy:
luxanne lolz abi oh, The king is a very wierd piece angry
Thanks btw and glad it helped...

smileysmileysmiley smileysmileysmiley smileysmileysmiley

1 Like

Re: Chess Basics For Beginners by joywendy(f): 8:08am On Mar 09, 2015
3. CASTLING

The king must be kept safe at all cost if it is attacked then it must move out of danger immediately and if it cannot be made safe then the game is lost.

Castling is a special move by the king and rook which makes him(king) safer from danger. It does not imply that the king is completely safe from attacks but has a low chance of been attacked. This is the move that allows the king to move two squares than the required one square. It is the only time in the game when two pieces are moved simultaneously. Two squares (for the king) and Two pieces (king and rook)

At the beginning of a chess game there is usually a battle for the centre of the board, therefore it is a good idea to move the King from the action to a safe place in the corner and to move the Rook to the middle of the board where it can take part in the battle. Castling allows you to do this.

Castling isn't only done at the beginning, it can be done at any point of the game. Especially when you sense an attack on the king.

There are two forms of castling
*The king side Castling which occurs at the king side
*The Queen side Castling which occurs at the queens side

1 Like

Re: Chess Basics For Beginners by joywendy(f): 8:38am On Mar 09, 2015
When the King castles, he moves two squares to
the left or right and the Rook is moved to stand
on the opposite side of the King. When castling,
the King must always be moved first if not
your opponent could claim that you have moved
the Rook and you didn't castle.

THE KING SIDE CASTLING

To castle king side the king has to move two squares to the right and the Rook will come to stand on the square immediately next to the King i.e the king moves two squares from the E file and lands on the G file while the rook on the H file moves to the F file.

The king side castling is donated by O-O in chess notation. There are two Os because the rook moves two squares from it's original position on board.

NOTE: FOR CASTLING TO TAKE PLACE THERE MUST BE NO PIECE IN BETWEEN THE KING AND THE ROOK AND BOTH THE KING AND ROOK HAVEN'T BEEN MOVED IN THE GAME. I.E THEY BOTH MUST BE IN THEIR ORIGINAL POSITION!

The first pic shows the original position of the king and the rook at the king side of the white pieces.

1ST step as shown in the pic below, move the king two steps towards the rook.

2nd step move the rook all the way like he is jumping to the side of the king as shown in the 3rd pic

1 Like

Re: Chess Basics For Beginners by joywendy(f): 9:42am On Mar 09, 2015
THE QUEEN'S SIDE CASTLING

This is a bit more technical than the king side castling, this castling makes sure you have to remove three pieces out of the way before you can castle compared to the king side castle that just involves removing just 2 pieces. Somehow this form of castling doesn't really put the king to a corner and he is still somehow liable to risk. So some players after castling queen side on there next move or after they move the king a square more.

Though am not discouraging you not to use it oh but then again you have to be mindful of what you are doing. As beginners i advise you master the king side castling before coming to use the queen's side castling but then again who says you can't master both cheesy wink

When castling queen side, this time around the king moves 2 steps to the left and the Rook has come to stand on the square immediately next to the King on his opposite side. .i.e The king moves from the E file to the C file and the rook moves from the A file to the D file (see flying skills grin)

1 Like

Re: Chess Basics For Beginners by Emeka71(m): 10:49am On Mar 12, 2015
joywendy:

i also advise that you play more with humans than computers. cause this computers are programmed in different levels. it would get to a point that you will begin to get frustrated because of your inability to win and instead of you trying to learn from your mistakes, you don't cause you are just focus on defeating the computer which has already been programmed to 'win'
That's true.
Re: Chess Basics For Beginners by Emeka71(m): 10:55am On Mar 12, 2015
tushbobo:

What you are doing wrong is that you haven't learnt basic checkmating techniques.
With queen rook and pawn, what you should do is leave your pawn alone and perform the "queen and rook roll" or the "bicycle".
If the pawn is advanced you may promote it and still mate with "queen and rook roll".
Ideally, you should be able to win with the rook and king or queen and king if that's the only available material.
In the "queen and rook roll" the queen supports the rook two ranks away as it checks the opponent king. When the king moves, the queen comes to the same rank as the rook to check the king. The process is repeated rolling the king back till it's mated.
In the bicycle, the queen and rook form barriers on 2 ranks or files while alternately taking checking the king forcing it to move back till mate.
You can google these on google images to have a pictorial idea. A picture means more than a thousand words u know.
No matter how I move, the computer king finds a way. Ok I will try your tutorial.
Re: Chess Basics For Beginners by luxanne(f): 7:38pm On Mar 16, 2015
Hmmm. But I see at the queen side the king moved 2 squares and the rook 3 squares, is that right?
Re: Chess Basics For Beginners by joywendy(f): 8:13pm On Mar 16, 2015
chai!!! i feel so bad for abandoning you guys
cry

forgive me everyone sad

1 Like

Re: Chess Basics For Beginners by joywendy(f): 8:23pm On Mar 16, 2015
luxanne:
Hmmm. But I see at the queen side the king moved 2 squares and the rook 3 squares, is that right?

yes it does, you are right.

that's why the chess notation for queens castling is

O-O-O

The rook moves 3 squares. smiley

1 Like

Re: Chess Basics For Beginners by luxanne(f): 8:25pm On Mar 16, 2015
joywendy:

yes it does, you are right.

that's why the chess notation for queens castling is

O-O-O

The rook moves 3 squares. smiley

Yes ma'am smiley

1 Like

Re: Chess Basics For Beginners by luxanne(f): 8:27pm On Mar 16, 2015
joywendy:
chai!!! i feel so bad for abandoning you guys
cry

forgive me everyone sad

smileysmileysmiley

1 Like

Re: Chess Basics For Beginners by joywendy(f): 12:58am On Mar 21, 2015
luxanne:

smileysmileysmiley

Thanks smiley

i didn't want this thread to be like this, i haven't played this game in a while also i guess it was one of the reasons for lost mojo.

network not too good where i m now....will try to update and finish the lessons here.

1 Like

Re: Chess Basics For Beginners by onegig(m): 8:02am On Mar 21, 2015
joywendy:

Thanks smiley

i didn't want this thread to be like this, i haven't played this game in a while also i guess it was one of the reasons for lost mojo.

network not too good where i m now....will try to update and finish the lessons here.
mojo?

Hmmm..
Re: Chess Basics For Beginners by joywendy(f): 8:45am On Mar 21, 2015
onegig:
mojo?

Hmmm..

yeah "lost mojo" slang for loss of inspiration.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

This Tutorial Will Teach You How To Play Playstation Cd's From Your Cd Drive. / Hack And Install Games On Your PS4 Console, For As Low As 1K Each. / Uk Used Ps3 Consoles

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 73
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.