Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,194,183 members, 7,953,650 topics. Date: Thursday, 19 September 2024 at 09:50 PM

Chess Basics For Beginners - Gaming (6) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Gaming / Chess Basics For Beginners (25640 Views)

How Can I Improve On My Skills In Playing CHESS? / Play Chess For The Orphans On A Giant Chess Mat / Play Chess And Make Good Money At Friends Of Chess Competition ( March 24-28) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Chess Basics For Beginners by joywendy(f): 7:51am On Jul 15, 2015
Emmyk:
Just passing by... smiley

#Chessaddict
cheesy
Re: Chess Basics For Beginners by Nobody: 9:38pm On Jul 17, 2015
What's your rating?
CcJoywendy
Re: Chess Basics For Beginners by joywendy(f): 2:24pm On Jul 19, 2015
donxab:
What's your rating?
CcJoywendy
Don't have a rating yet.
Re: Chess Basics For Beginners by Loluores: 6:45pm On Aug 30, 2015
Guys hold on... chess lessons loading...

1 Like

Re: Chess Basics For Beginners by pdf90(m): 9:30pm On Sep 09, 2015
apart from chess master 10edition I haven't seen a better chess platform .. i dont mean they arent but i haven't seen . am sure there must be better 1s
Re: Chess Basics For Beginners by Nobody: 9:38pm On Sep 09, 2015
pdf90:
apart from chess master 10edition I haven't seen a better chess platform .. i dont mean they arent but i haven't seen . am sure there must be better 1s
On android? I use Droidfish. For beginners I think Perfect Chess Trainer is pretty good. Both run Stockfish 6 engine which is supposed to be about the best chess AI on android.
Re: Chess Basics For Beginners by tushbobo(m): 1:08pm On Mar 15, 2016
Good job joywendy... how about recommended books for beginners. If I could recommend only one it will be 'Chess Fundamentals' by Capablanca.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Chess Basics For Beginners by Loluores: 10:39pm On Mar 21, 2016
Begin Chess by Pritchard.
(You can buy it at a good bookshop, I bought mine at The Booksellers, Ibadan. In such a softcopy world we live in, it's useful to have one chess book in HARDCOPY, and I suggest this one. Lots of good diagrams to aid visualization and explanations of simple things.)

Predator at the Chessboard: A Field Guide to Chess Tactics I and II by Ward Farnsworth.
(If you want to be a formidable chess player, tactics must become your middle name! Read these books and you'll literally be able to puke out tactics all over the board grin
The whole books are actually browsable (free) on an entire website: www.chesstactics.org
I remember the first day I browsed the site some 9 years ago, it was so eye-opening, I just had to download the full site into my flash drive fast!)

My 2 cents. Ciao.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Chess Basics For Beginners by tens4real(m): 10:35am On May 19, 2016
Loluores:
Begin Chess by Pritchard.
(You can buy it at a good bookshop, I bought mine at The Booksellers, Ibadan. In such a softcopy world we live in, it's useful to have one chess book in HARDCOPY, and I suggest this one. Lots of good diagrams to aid visualization and explanations of simple things.)

Predator at the Chessboard: A Field Guide to Chess Tactics I and II by Ward Farnsworth.
(If you want to be a formidable chess player, tactics must become your middle name! Read these books and you'll literally be able to puke out tactics all over the board grin
The whole books are actually browsable (free) on an entire website: www.chesstactics.org
I remember the first day I browsed the site some 9 years ago, it was so eye-opening, I just had to download the full site into my flash drive fast!)

My 2 cents. Ciao.
can you please send me the soft copy to my email please @proftens4real99@gmail.com
Re: Chess Basics For Beginners by fullz: 12:47pm On Jul 27, 2016
we could play online. Anyone?
Re: Chess Basics For Beginners by Baldg: 1:52pm On Mar 23, 2018
Revive...
Anyone available.
Re: Chess Basics For Beginners by joywendy(f): 11:13pm On Sep 08, 2018
Baldg:
Revive...
Anyone available.
wow....how come in just seeing this. Chai

1 Like

Re: Chess Basics For Beginners by oluwahsegun(m): 4:30am On Sep 09, 2018
joywendy:
lesson 3: characteristics and movement of the pieces

okay we know our arrangement now. So time to deal with the pieces, would be talking about them one after the other.
Every piece has a value and each of the values are as follows.
pawn= 1 point
bishop= 3 points
knights = 3 points
( they are both the same, pls don't ask why)
rooks = 5 points
Queen= 9 points (she is equivalent to 9 pawns imagine shocked)
king = no point ( the king never leaves the board if you are able to get the king i.e checkmate then the game is over)

Before i continue, i was expecting someone to ask, why 2 of everything? and eight pawns?

for those who like to wonder like moi grin

simple: ask yourself have you ever seen a king or queen without soldiers? without an adviser? without a knight?

This answers the question the king has his own and the queen has her own. 4 pawns to the king and 4 to queen. 1 bishop,1 Knight and 1 rook to the two royalties. The rook also known as castle stands like some kind of fence or gate to the kingdom (yes the chess kingdom cheesy)

so we have the king and queen side of the board

From Column E to H is known as the KING SIDE
From column D to A is known as the QUEEN SIDE

Now we go to The pieces.

1. THE PAWN

This is known as one of the weakest pieces, as it is just worth 1point, though weak it is still a very special piece. it is actually very easy to recognize as it is the smallest piece on board and also recognized with it's bald head grin

His movement is quite weird and different from the other pieces.

At the starting position the pawn can either move one or two squares forward, after this the pawn just keeps going straight but one square at a time. It is also the only piece on board that can't move back (forward ever backward never) just keeping pushing the bald guy one square at a time.

Also when it comes to capturing a piece, this same 'weak' piece doesn't capture the way it moves instead it captures sideways i.e a square diagonal.
Though there is also another way to capture with the pawn called the EN PASSANT. But it will be covered later not now

so if a pieces comes in front of your pawn forget it peeps your pawn can't take the piece and therefore it is stuck except an unfortunate piece comes sideways to the pawn and then your pawn captures and then he can then continue his Israelite journey forward on another column of course grin

Finally (phew!) the special part of this pawn is that when a pawn gets to the last square on the column it is on, it automatically changes to any piece you want it to be. either the rook,bishop, knight or queen except the king and a pawn ( i know what you are thinking queen of course cheesy). This special ability is known as PROMOTION.
So it is very possible to have more than 2 queens or 3 rooks etc on board. most people usually safeguard their pawns towards the end of the game hoping that the destiny of that pawn will change to something more powerful.
This is really helpful

1 Like

Re: Chess Basics For Beginners by oluwahsegun(m): 4:58am On Sep 09, 2018
Thanks for this Tips

1 Like

Re: Chess Basics For Beginners by joywendy(f): 11:23pm On Sep 10, 2018
oluwahsegun:
This is really helpful
Glad it helped smiley
Re: Chess Basics For Beginners by Starkid3010(m): 12:23pm On Nov 29, 2019
joywendy:

Glad it helped smiley
can I play with you on lichess
Re: Chess Basics For Beginners by Atomemmy(m): 6:04pm On Dec 01, 2019
Hello
Pls does anyone know of any chess app you can play with someone through Bluetooth
Re: Chess Basics For Beginners by joywendy(f): 10:21am On Dec 16, 2019
Starkid3010:
can I play with you on lichess

Hi. Yes you can. Wendzy on Lichess
Re: Chess Basics For Beginners by Starkid3010(m): 11:05am On Dec 16, 2019
joywendy:

Hi. Yes you can. Wendzy on Lichess
ok let's get it done then
Or can I contact ypu on whatsapp also if I want to share link

1 Like

Re: Chess Basics For Beginners by Johnny32: 6:01pm On May 06, 2020
There's a big deal here guys. There's a new platform for Nigerian chess news, blog, annotated games for beginners and intermediate players and non copyright chess materials for download. More content will be updated regularly, just visit www.chessforsharks.

2 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

Must Read: Clash Of Clans + Thread For Players / Brand New And UK Used Ps4 Consoles And Accessories Available / Finding It Difficult To Install Dream League Soccer On My Phone

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 26
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.