Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,865 members, 7,810,295 topics. Date: Saturday, 27 April 2024 at 06:15 AM

A Nairalander Tales Of Her Onions Business - Business (8) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Business / A Nairalander Tales Of Her Onions Business (112270 Views)

Tales Of Losses: Engage Nigeria's Army Of Half Baked Artisans At Your Peril. / Storage Business Onions And Pepper (tatashi) / Onions Business. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) ... (28) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: A Nairalander Tales Of Her Onions Business by hahn(m): 1:14pm On Feb 23, 2015
debbydee:
Good morning all.

Like i said in my earlier post everyone will certainly join this business. Why is it difficult for people to sit and think of an idea that will be unique and different. There are many ideas lurking around just sit and think dry fish business, crayfish business these are items that abound you don't have to travel up north to venture into it.

I pray to be a manufacturer and not a copywriter.

As a manufacturer, you'll eventually need to teach people what you know so they can learn from it and be inspired to imitate or emulate your success.

That's the height of success

1 Like

Re: A Nairalander Tales Of Her Onions Business by emmykk(m): 1:32pm On Feb 23, 2015
Catered4:

Here is the breakdown sir.
A bag is N9500 for mixed onions and N 11,000 for big onions
The loading from the farm to the park (Alabaru) is N100 per bag
The sack and raffia is N200
Transportation - Trailer is N1200, J5 is N1500 and 18 seater is more.
Now a bag of onions in the market goes for N14,000, N15,000 or more depending on the state, location and market or even companies buying from you (supply).
So sir do your calculation yourself. Thank you sir.
madam you have a heart of gold.not many people disclosed this .you try.

7 Likes

Re: A Nairalander Tales Of Her Onions Business by jeffmyson(m): 2:01pm On Feb 23, 2015
debbydee:
Good morning all.

Like i said in my earlier post everyone will certainly join this business. Why is it difficult for people to sit and think of an idea that will be unique and different. There are many ideas lurking around just sit and think dry fish business, crayfish business these are items that abound you don't have to travel up north to venture into it.

I pray to be a manufacturer and not a copywriter.

Don't worry! As they are jumping in, that is how they will all Jump out. They probably will not sit down to look at the merit and demerit and analyse all the risk factors involved before jumping in.

Certainly Nigerians have a "Me too" business mentality and will all flood in until they realize that all that glitters is not Gold. Business needs perseverance and determinations, how many of all these fellows will withstand the stress factors?

For all those planning to jump in, please tread carefully, do an independent research and make sure the risks are well mitigated before jumping in. There is always a learning curve in every business and you may probably not make any money at first. I am speaking from experience!

Cheers!

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: A Nairalander Tales Of Her Onions Business by debbydee(f): 2:45pm On Feb 23, 2015
hahn:

As a manufacturer, you'll eventually need to teach people what you know so they can learn from it and be inspired to imitate or emulate your success.

That's the height of success

imitators don't last.
Re: A Nairalander Tales Of Her Onions Business by millhouse: 3:42pm On Feb 23, 2015
following
Re: A Nairalander Tales Of Her Onions Business by hahn(m): 5:05pm On Feb 23, 2015
debbydee:

imitators don't last.

Very true
Re: A Nairalander Tales Of Her Onions Business by Nobody: 7:30pm On Feb 23, 2015
emmykk:
madam you have a heart of gold.not many people disclosed this .you try.

Hello sir.
Thank you. I have nothing to hide. I dont have to be greedy to be successful in life. Like I said, I'm out to help with the grace of God...

1 Like

Re: A Nairalander Tales Of Her Onions Business by Nobody: 7:35pm On Feb 23, 2015
hahn:

Thanks a lot for this info. However, it seems one would need at least N13,000 per bag therefore N10,000 won't be enough to start as you initially mentioned. I believe at least N150,000 would suffice for a start for one to earn sufficient profit.

Ill work out a business plan and get back to you. Thank you once again

Hello sir. Its N11,000 not N13,000
Re: A Nairalander Tales Of Her Onions Business by Nobody: 7:43pm On Feb 23, 2015
ewizard1:

Hello mah. please what type of onion is it? incase we're asked!

Thanks!

Hello. It depends on where you get your onions from. My onions is called Jega or Aleiro red onions. Which is the best and expensive onions.

2 Likes

Re: A Nairalander Tales Of Her Onions Business by Nobody: 7:46pm On Feb 23, 2015
MrMandilas:
I want u to take me to the market in the north after the general elections. Do i count on u?

Whenever you are ready sir I will but you will have to take care of your transportation and accomodation yourself.

1 Like

Re: A Nairalander Tales Of Her Onions Business by Nobody: 7:50pm On Feb 23, 2015
redvektor:
am also working on that too in bayelsa also by monday i will be doing some market survey

Please do and let me know your findings sir.
Re: A Nairalander Tales Of Her Onions Business by MrMandilas: 7:52pm On Feb 23, 2015
Catered4:

Whenever you are ready sir I will but you will have to take care of your transportation and accomodation yourself.
i am happy about that. Pls send me ur number through this email: mandis2014@yahoo.com.
Re: A Nairalander Tales Of Her Onions Business by Nobody: 7:52pm On Feb 23, 2015
MrMandilas:
i f i am ready, will u take me to the Kebbi market? Lets say after the election. Thank u and may God give u strenght to carry on.

Amen
Re: A Nairalander Tales Of Her Onions Business by Nobody: 7:55pm On Feb 23, 2015
Olufemiolaolu:
Urw billionaire in d making.cheesy

Amen. Thank you sir.

1 Like

Re: A Nairalander Tales Of Her Onions Business by Nobody: 7:59pm On Feb 23, 2015
buruike:
@Catered4
I PM you but you haven't responded.
wanted to ask for your contact number

I'm so sorry sir. I will respond as soon as possible.
Re: A Nairalander Tales Of Her Onions Business by Nobody: 8:02pm On Feb 23, 2015
9jatatafo:

I truly like what you wrote as regards the onions' business. I am looking for something to do but my kids are still very small and I cannot go far away from them for days. This is my greatest worry for now.

I can imagine. I could help you bring your onions along with mine for no extra charges.

1 Like

Re: A Nairalander Tales Of Her Onions Business by Nobody: 8:08pm On Feb 23, 2015
cmespeak:

Wow, epic words u just dropped here Madam,but u already a queen, since i saw yr pix with yr beautiful baby, i must say i thank God for opening yr eyes and u ready to for go all the setbacks to start this, when u start to enjoy yr sweat now, some people will nw start stretching hand out for money 4getting they were the same ones that discouraged u earlier.

Keep up d good work madam, and God bless u with yr Supporting Husband, but i think many women are not focused till they get married, before marriage they are jumping from one biz to the other, trying this or that, after marriage when they are finally settled their eys will nw open to reality that life na hustle,husband can only do his best he cannot kill himself tking care of baby(s) and wife at same time saving money for the future,

So i thank u for openining eyes of ladies here on this thread, and ladies shey una dey see try and get married to that young guy that loves u and grow together nr be say u dey look for money bag, wen money nr dey bag again na u go become liability for the man eye.

Awwww Thank you. Tears dropping. Thanks for your words of advise...
Re: A Nairalander Tales Of Her Onions Business by emmykk(m): 8:58pm On Feb 23, 2015
Catered4:

Hello sir.
Thank you. I have nothing to hide. I dont have to be greedy to be successful in life. Like I said, I'm out to help with the grace of God...
i am happy that nigeria still have good and sincere people like you. You have lifted layers of ignorance in going into foodstuff business off our eyes.

Am currently researching 3 of the food items you listed here in portharcourt.
Re: A Nairalander Tales Of Her Onions Business by Nobody: 9:20pm On Feb 23, 2015
emmykk:
i am happy that nigeria still have good and sincere people like you. You have lifted layers of ignorance in going into foodstuff business off our eyes.

Am currently researching 3 of the food items you listed here in portharcourt.

Oh great. Please do your research and let me know if there is any way I can help. All the best...

1 Like

Re: A Nairalander Tales Of Her Onions Business by Nobody: 4:25am On Feb 24, 2015
Weldone ma, we've been chatting on whatsapp. Thnx 4ur patience and thorough explanations. May God reward you abundantly and enlarge ur coast.
Re: A Nairalander Tales Of Her Onions Business by oduz: 8:59am On Feb 24, 2015
Catered4:

I can imagine. I could help you bring your onions along with mine for no extra charges.

Kudos Madam!

The Land is Green cool
Re: A Nairalander Tales Of Her Onions Business by hahn(m): 9:11am On Feb 24, 2015
Catered4:

Hello sir. Its N11,000 not N13,000

N11,000 for a bag of onions. You added it would cost N300(plus the sack) to get it to the market and a minimum of N1200 to get to Lagos. Also include the amount of money it will take for me to get to Ketu from where I stay. At the end of the day, that's an extra N2,000 if I've calculated well making a total of N13,000.
Re: A Nairalander Tales Of Her Onions Business by 9jatatafo(m): 10:43am On Feb 24, 2015
Catered4:

Sounds great, I will give it a shot. Do I need to go to Mile 12 market to get buyers down? I will try to connect with you. There is no harm in trying.
Re: A Nairalander Tales Of Her Onions Business by Nobody: 12:10pm On Feb 24, 2015
9jatatafo:

Sounds great, I will give it a shot. Do I need to go to Mile 12 market to get buyers down? I will try to connect with you. There is no harm in trying.

Its not a must to get buyers in mile 12. You can get buyers in any other market even the markets around you.

1 Like

Re: A Nairalander Tales Of Her Onions Business by Nobody: 12:44pm On Feb 24, 2015
hahn:

N11,000 for a bag of onions. You added it would cost N300(plus the sack) to get it to the market and a minimum of N1200 to get to Lagos. Also include the amount of money it will take for me to get to Ketu from where I stay. At the end of the day, that's an extra N2,000 if I've calculated well making a total of N13,000.

In my breakdown its N11k. Besides you dont have to spend that much to transport the bags to where ever you are taking it to. There are direct vans in mile 12 that goes to any area in lagos. A bag cost N600.
Re: A Nairalander Tales Of Her Onions Business by Nobody: 12:46pm On Feb 24, 2015
oduz:

Kudos Madam!

The Land is Green cool

Thank you sir.
Re: A Nairalander Tales Of Her Onions Business by Nobody: 1:28pm On Feb 24, 2015
Catered4:

Thank you sir.

Madam in as much as i appreciate all you've mentioned so far, i think it's fair to let us know the possible risks involved in this business and how you handled and overcome such risk. From what i read so far many here are only interested in profits but not asking about the bad sides because in every business there is meant to be profit and loss.

Is onions always in high demand in the market regardless of the season?

Which season is the most favorable and profitable for this business?

What is the assurance that market women/buyers won't exploit the inexperience of new comers in this business and price their onions cheaper due to the fact that we are the one going to convince them to buy?

What factors should be considered or put in place as a plan B incase any thing goes wrong?

I'm patiently waiting for your answers or anyone who is in the position to answer. Thanks

5 Likes

Re: A Nairalander Tales Of Her Onions Business by 9jatatafo(m): 1:32pm On Feb 24, 2015
[quote author=Catered4 post=31034734]

Its not a must to get buyers in mile 12. You can get buyers in any other market even the markets around you.[/quote

Ok then, I will locate market or markets nearer to me though Mile 12 fall within my axis. How much do you think one can begin with?]
Re: A Nairalander Tales Of Her Onions Business by Nobody: 3:26pm On Feb 24, 2015
[quote author=9jatatafo post=31037136][/quote]

You can start with a bag depending on your pocket...
Re: A Nairalander Tales Of Her Onions Business by echoedwalls: 4:27pm On Feb 24, 2015
Madam,I really commend your effort for willing to be a mentor.
Please,is it possible to get the dried chilli pepper from that end too?
If no,please where can I get it?
Thank you
Re: A Nairalander Tales Of Her Onions Business by Nobody: 4:29pm On Feb 24, 2015
Catered4:

You can start with a bag depending on your pocket...

Catered4 why did you ignore my post afterall i'm also trying to learn like others. Kindly answer my questions please. thank you
Re: A Nairalander Tales Of Her Onions Business by Nobody: 4:38pm On Feb 24, 2015
searching4love:

Madam in as much as i appreciate all you've mentioned so far, i think it's fair to let us know the possible risks involved in this business and how you handled and overcome such risk. From what i read so far many here are only interested in profits but not asking about the bad sides because in every business there is meant to be profit and loss.

Is onions always in high demand in the market regardless of the season?

Which season is the most favorable and profitable for this business?

What is the assurance that market women/buyers won't exploit the inexperience of new comers in this business and price their onions cheaper due to the fact that we are the one going to convince them to buy?

What factors should be considered or put in place as a plan B incase any thing goes wrong?

I'm patiently waiting for your answers or anyone who is the position to answer. Thanks

In every business, there is profit and loss. Sincerely, I haven't encountered much loss except for 2 bags of onions that had issues. Some of the onions in the bags got spoiled though not much as the Alhaji boys still sold it at a reasonable price. The fault was mine anyway because I instructed the mallams not to sell the bags hoping I was going to deliver it personally to some persons on the island which I didn't do and the bags was just there. At a point the Alhaji had to call me to get the permission to sell the bag so that the onions won't get spoilt. One of the risk involved in the business is the onions getting spoilt if it is not sold within a week. That is why I do tell those who called me to do their market survey, speak to the unions or market leaders to get a space not a shop its called LADA, get potential buyers before your onions arrives. That way, your onions don't have to stay longer than the required time except if you are storing it.

Onions has its own season. Presently we are in the season of plenty onions. That's why a onions go for N14,000, N15,000, N16,000 its basically cheap. This season of pleanty onions is between the month of January and April towards the first week of May. The scarcity of onions where by a bag of onions will go for N25,000 to N35,000 in the market is between the month of May to July. This period, a bag of onions in the farm will be sold for N15,000 to N18,000. So those who store their onions now, are the ones that will make plenty profit. If you don't store your onions, and you buy from the farm at the rate of N15,000 or Ñ18,000 a bag, one will still sell it N25,000 or more. July to September is the season of plenty onions, this time the price of a bag of onions comes down. October to December through the Second week of January, there is usually scarcity of onions. This season, the price of onions goes up.

There is no season that is not profitable. The only difference is that the season of scarcity is more profitable with the profit margin of N10,000 or more on a bag.

Onions is always in high demand regardless of the season. Some days ago, napolie and I went to the mile 12 market. We saw close to 7 trailers loaded with onions that arrived from the north. All these trailers will offload their onions in that same market and they will sell it all. Its food and everybody eats food everyday. Some canteen, bucca, restaurant and fast food consumes a bag or more onions a day. What about the boarding schools? Hospitals (Kitchen), Companies, orphanage homes, Events and also in our individual homes. I've seen people buy 3 or more bags of onions at a go. A visit to the mile 12 market will explain more. Anything food sells fast.

6 Likes 2 Shares

(1) (2) (3) ... (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) ... (28) (Reply)

12 Things You Need To Know About Bank Verification Number (BVN) / Anatomy Of An Entrepreneur / Ladi Delano: Nigeria's Youngest Billionaire [pictured]

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 79
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.