Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,444 members, 7,812,334 topics. Date: Monday, 29 April 2024 at 11:54 AM

Nairaland Book Club For Book Lovers - Literature (18) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Literature / Nairaland Book Club For Book Lovers (68577 Views)

Hey Book Lovers! What Book(s) Are You Currently Reading? / Would This Fly For Book Lovers? / Nairaland Book Of Puns- Lovers Of Wordplay, Let's Pun! (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (15) (16) (17) (18) (19) (20) (21) ... (30) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Nairaland Book Club For Book Lovers by Freeezzz(m): 9:51am On Aug 10, 2016
prahcetomi:
I've sent both.Have u seen them?
Delivery received; Download completed; Reading mode activated! Thank you so much sir, you don't know how so glad I am. cool
Re: Nairaland Book Club For Book Lovers by Nobody: 9:57am On Aug 10, 2016
kaybams1:
Some writers are that good. They get you engrossed in their enthralling narratives and witty usage of words. The best of them are those that play the cat and mouse game with the readers. Every page and chapter is unpredictable. Meanwhile what's the book about? #Fortheloveofbooks
You're right. Reading a predictable book takes off the steam and makes for a boring read. What's the essence of reading a book if your mind doesn't race or do ten beats a second?

The book is all about 9 different people who were each tricked to go to a strange Island by getting mysterious letters from an unknown host. What the guests are going to do there wasn't explained to them in clear terms, so they honoured the invite without smelling a rat; reason being that the Island is a well-known location which was famous across the country for hosting luxurious parties and all, so they set sail at once aboard a boat on a fixed day with everybone arriving the Island on the same day, including the host who masked himself as a fellow invitee. When they got there they soon realised they are the only ones present in the Island plus a Man and a woman who were housekeepers. Shortly or should I say later, they began to die one by one in a sequencial order - which is in accordance with a nursery rhyme. And in reality, the rhyme is a fortelling of their death which has been predicted. You try to escape the nightmare but you can't just like in the movie 'Final Destination'.
I forgot to mention that the nursery rhyme was framed and hanged in each of their rooms, and ten figurines a.k.a ten little indians were also set atop the dinning table. So whenever someone dies a figurine would break and on and on the game of death, test of wits, survival, trust, betrayal, continued. But nobody was able to tell the cause behind the deaths because the actual person executing the murders is a prodigy. They also discovered beforehand that their host's name is U.N Owen but when the name is somehow arranged and pronounced, it sounds like "UNkNOWN" meaning he doesn't exist so this revelation added to make their nightmare a long-drawn horrorful one tumbling towards a violent clash. This is a book you don't want to miss for anything.
#Fortheloveofbooks

1 Like

Re: Nairaland Book Club For Book Lovers by quintybabe(f): 9:59am On Aug 10, 2016
Obinoscopy:
Sent
Am sorry I thought you sent him the spirit controlled temperaments, I don't need Americana. Please don't send, thanks
Re: Nairaland Book Club For Book Lovers by rubi96(f): 10:12am On Aug 10, 2016
quintybabe:

Am sorry I thought you sent him the spirit controlled temperaments, I don't need Americana. Please don't send, thanks
Please send the spirit controlled temperaments to me. My email is whyteruby96@gmail.com Thank you
Re: Nairaland Book Club For Book Lovers by prahcetomi(m): 10:17am On Aug 10, 2016
Freeezzz:

Delivery received; Download completed; Reading mode activated!
Thank you so much sir, you don't know how so glad I am.
cool
wink wink wink wink

1 Like

Re: Nairaland Book Club For Book Lovers by kaybams1(m): 2:58pm On Aug 10, 2016
Drefan2:
You're right. Reading a predictable book takes off the steam and makes for a boring read. What's the essence of reading a book if your mind doesn't race or do ten beats a second?

The book is all about 9 different people who were each tricked to go to a strange Island by getting mysterious letters from an unknown host. What the guests are going to do there wasn't explained to them in clear terms, so they honoured the invite without smelling a rat; reason being that the Island is a well-known location which was famous across the country for hosting luxurious parties and all, so they set sail at once aboard a boat on a fixed day with everybone arriving the Island on the same day, including the host who masked himself as a fellow invitee. When they got there they soon realised they are the only ones present in the Island plus a Man and a woman who were housekeepers. Shortly or should I say later, they began to die one by one in a sequencial order - which is in accordance with a nursery rhyme. And in reality, the rhyme is a fortelling of their death which has been predicted. You try to escape the nightmare but you can't just like in the movie 'Final Destination'.
I forgot to mention that the nursery rhyme was framed and hanged in each of their rooms, and ten figurines a.k.a ten little indians were also set atop the dinning table. So whenever someone dies a figurine would break and on and on the game of death, test of wits, survival, trust, betrayal, continued. But nobody was able to tell the cause behind the deaths because the actual person executing the murders is a prodigy. They also discovered beforehand that their host's name is U.N Owen but when the name is somehow arranged and pronounced, it sounds like "UNkNOWN" meaning he doesn't exist so this revelation added to make their nightmare a long-drawn horrorful one tumbling towards a violent clash. This is a book you don't want to miss for anything.
#Fortheloveofbooks

nice one!. could imagine already. Profound and scary at the same time tho. Did they all die?
#fortheloveofbooks.
Re: Nairaland Book Club For Book Lovers by quintybabe(f): 4:01pm On Aug 10, 2016
rubi96:
Please send the spirit controlled temperaments to me. My email is whyteruby96@gmail.com Thank you
Am sorry I don't have, I thought obinoscopy has it and that was why I contacted him, I never knew it was another book entirely.
Re: Nairaland Book Club For Book Lovers by rubi96(f): 5:58pm On Aug 10, 2016
quintybabe:

Am sorry I don't have, I thought obinoscopy has it and that was why I contacted him, I never knew it was another book entirely.
okay Thanks anyway.
Re: Nairaland Book Club For Book Lovers by iamtomi(f): 6:47pm On Aug 10, 2016
Pls can anyone send me Americana... and The concubine by Elechi Amadi... bin trying to download both but all i get are just summaries..
Re: Nairaland Book Club For Book Lovers by tolam4skywd(m): 7:54pm On Aug 10, 2016
Please anybody with this books should kindly send it to my mail..
Americanah
Da Vinci code
Angel and. demons
The lost symbol
Dreams from my father --- Barrack Obama
And any motivational books will do...
Thanks
Olaniyitoheeb1@gmail dot com
#fortheloveofbooks
Re: Nairaland Book Club For Book Lovers by luckyz4rea(m): 9:37pm On Aug 10, 2016
Does anyone know how I can get "how to excel through self-development by Harold. Taylor! I'd really appreciate. Thank you!
Re: Nairaland Book Club For Book Lovers by Nobody: 10:08am On Aug 12, 2016
kaybams1:

nice one!. could imagine already. Profound and scary at the same time tho. Did they all die?
#fortheloveofbooks.
Yes, the book is quite insightful and intellectually stimulating. Makes your thinking to travel afar. There's more to gain. That's the sort of books I indulge.

Erm, telling you the final outcome of the trip could make you have a rethink about going for a read since you are now in the know of events, and would only dull your interest to it. It'd would act more to discourage you from reading cause already you are informed of how everything played out at the end and nothing would seem new to your senses, owning to the fact that my afore provided information will act to shield against any of such experience registering something new.

But I ain't telling you because that's your job to find out, and I want you, likewise others, to get the full content of the package, the same way I did.
So what book are you reading, Care to share?
#Fortheloveofbooks
Re: Nairaland Book Club For Book Lovers by kaybams1(m): 11:26am On Aug 12, 2016
Drefan2:

Yes, the book is quite insightful and intellectually stimulating. Makes your thinking to travel afar. There's more to gain. That's the sort of books I indulge.

Erm, telling you the final outcome of the trip could make you have a rethink about going for a read since you are now in the know of events, and would only dull your interest to it. It'd would act more to discourage you from reading cause already you are informed of how everything played out at the end and nothing would seem new to your senses, owning to the fact that my afore provided information will act to shield against any of such experience registering something new.

But I ain't telling you because that's your job to find out, and I want you, likewise others, to get the full content of the package, the same way I did.
So what book are you reading, Care to share?
#Fortheloveofbooks

lol. all good. Reading The Millionaire Next Door by Thomas J Stanley. Not a novel tho....teaches invaluable lessons on wealth accumulation.
#fortheloveofbooks
Re: Nairaland Book Club For Book Lovers by prahcetomi(m): 12:51pm On Aug 12, 2016
Drefan2:

#Fortheloveofbooks
pls send to me....prahcetomi@gmail.com
Re: Nairaland Book Club For Book Lovers by Nobody: 12:55pm On Aug 12, 2016
kaybams1:

lol. all good. Reading The Millionaire Next Door by Thomas J Stanley. Not a novel tho....teaches invaluable lessons on wealth accumulation.
#fortheloveofbooks
Nice. But I'm not much of a fan of motivational books and the likes; books that strictly prescribes certain rules & principles to conform to in order to achieve a defined goal, however they sometimes prove helpful. When knowledge (lessons, as the case may be) is created in a beautiful novel, it stamps a lasting impression and enables one relate to it better. Going through the pages of a book concerned mainly with rules after rules is tiring on my part, especially the ones built on the foundation of religion.
#Fortheloveofbooks
Re: Nairaland Book Club For Book Lovers by Nobody: 1:01pm On Aug 12, 2016
prahcetomi:
pls send to me....prahcetomi@gmail.com
You can download from www.bookzz.org (pdf or epub, whichever format you prefer)
Re: Nairaland Book Club For Book Lovers by kaybams1(m): 1:25pm On Aug 12, 2016
Drefan2:

Nice. But I'm not much of a fan of motivational books and the likes; books that strictly prescribes certain rules & principles to conform to in order to achieve a defined goal, however they sometimes prove helpful. When knowledge (lessons, as the case may be) is created in a beautiful novel, it stamps a lasting impression and enables one relate to it better. Going through the pages of a book concerned mainly with rules after rules is tiring on my part, especially the ones about religion.
#Fortheloveofbooks

I share a similar view with you....most just reiterate common sense in an articulate manner. However, there are always exceptions to a rule. This book is one of them. Its an old piece and the author is late. Business Insider enlisted it as one of the best finance books of all time. Speaking of novels, i like striking a balance tho...excessive inoculation of fiction into the brain isn't too good for its wellbeing. Meanwhile The Family by mario puzo will be my next read....
#fortheloveofbooks
Re: Nairaland Book Club For Book Lovers by Nobody: 1:54pm On Aug 12, 2016
kaybams1:

I share a similar view with you....most just reiterate common sense in an articulate manner. However, there are always exceptions to a rule. This book is one of them. Its an old piece and the author is late. Business Insider enlisted it as one of the best finance books of all time.

You are right to some extent. But the reason I don't subscribe to books teaching how to build wealth is because it makes your actions to be predetermined, supposed, predicted, instead of using your own rationale, intuition and instinct to establish sound judgement in the face of circumstances. And if you intend to toll the same written pattern to amass wealth without knowning when and/or how to make significant twists here and there, you are likely to possibly run into trouble.
The key is common sense coming into play as you stated.
Speaking of novels, i like striking a balance tho...excessive inoculation of fiction into the brain isn't too good for its wellbeing. Meanwhile The Family by mario puzo will be my next read....
#fortheloveofbooks
Yeah, staying in the imaginary world for far too long is detrimental to one's mental health. You tend to view the real differently. I have experienced such before. That's why I alternate my reading routine - From novels (fiction or non-fiction) to school works to other books in various fields.

Mario puzo... I've heard of him and I've been planning to read one of his works these days, perharps the Godfather.
#Fortheloveofbooks
Re: Nairaland Book Club For Book Lovers by prahcetomi(m): 2:44pm On Aug 12, 2016
Drefan2:

You can download from www.bookzz.org (pdf or epub, whichever format you prefer)
oh nice onethats where i do download my pdfs from.Didn't know it would be available there.
Re: Nairaland Book Club For Book Lovers by Nobody: 2:50pm On Aug 12, 2016
prahcetomi:
oh nice onethats where i do download my pdfs from.Didn't know it would be available there.
It should... Or if you don't find it there, you could scroll back to the pages of this thread and you'd see a link to an epub site I provided.
Re: Nairaland Book Club For Book Lovers by prahcetomi(m): 3:03pm On Aug 12, 2016
Drefan2:

It should... Or if you don't find it there, you could scroll back to the pages of this thread and you'd see a link to an epub site I provided.
OK..thanks

1 Like

Re: Nairaland Book Club For Book Lovers by luxanne(f): 5:38pm On Aug 12, 2016
darkenedrebel:

Where have you been?

I'm not done with Americana yet, I'm only on page 10. I'm reading 6 books currently, and since I like to start from the complex ones before moving over to the simpler ones, then I'll probably get back to Americana in 10 days time.

But I've heard the review on radio since last month. I heard it from Chiamanda when she was featured in a book review show on radio.

The book is basically about a Nigerian girl, who also happens to be blogger that's struggling to find her feet in Yankee.

Just read the book yourself so I don't ruin it for you with Spoilers.

Been keeping up with my offline life smiley

Page 10 of chapter one yeah? You can still key in, the review done on here is per chapter, you digest a chapter and then log in to voice out what the author got right or missed out.

Oh, how does that work? Taking on 6 books at a time Just doesn't sit right with me maybe because I feel it's cram work, like in school where we had to take on, at a time, more than one book just to pass our exams rather than reading to understand, or not?

I should start the book-americanah, I've received soft copy from Obinoscopy.
Re: Nairaland Book Club For Book Lovers by luxanne(f): 5:43pm On Aug 12, 2016
Obinoscopy:
Sent hun. I'm still lagging behind, still in Chapter 5......work has been so demanding. So you see.......you can catch up with me wink

Mail received. Lol @ catch up with you, I'll try.

Happy weekend dear smiley
Re: Nairaland Book Club For Book Lovers by Busayorafael(m): 8:34pm On Aug 12, 2016
Drefan2:

You are right to some extent. But the reason I don't subscribe to books teaching how to build wealth is because it makes your actions to be predetermined, supposed, predicted, instead of using your own rationale, intuition and instinct to establish sound judgement in the face of circumstances. And if you intend to toll the same written pattern to amass wealth without knowning when and/or how to make significant twists here and there, you are likely to possibly run into trouble.
The key is common sense coming into play as you stated.

Yeah, staying in the imaginary world for far too long is detrimental to one's mental health. You tend to view the real differently. I have experienced such before. That's why I alternate my reading routine - From novels (fiction or non-fiction) to school works to other books in various fields.

Mario puzo... I've heard of him and I've been planning to read one of his works these days, perharps the Godfather.
#Fortheloveofbooks

The Godfather has a lot of lessons to parcel out to the reader. It is a timeless book; the best book I read last year.

Mario Puzo was a great storyteller.
Re: Nairaland Book Club For Book Lovers by ojeota(f): 9:32pm On Aug 12, 2016
luckyz4rea:

#fortheloveofbooks. I have the e-book! can send it to you!

Will be grateful If you send an e copy of americannah to my email..
Ojeefe@yahoo.com
Thanks.
Re: Nairaland Book Club For Book Lovers by ojeota(f): 11:20pm On Aug 12, 2016
Edmomd:
For those that are interested in Lobsang Rampa. I have some of his ebooks. If you are inteRested send ur email

Am interested in lobsang rampa books. Kindly send to my mail.
Ojeefe@yahoo.com
Re: Nairaland Book Club For Book Lovers by ojeota(f): 6:25am On Aug 13, 2016
sipsip:

Americanah and some of chinua Achebe's books have been sent to you. Hope they give you the feeling they've given me.

Please, i need them also.
Ojeefe@yahoo.com
Re: Nairaland Book Club For Book Lovers by Nobody: 9:56am On Aug 13, 2016
luxanne:

Been keeping up with my offline life smiley

That's good. Here's pretty much boring nowadays.

Page 10 of chapter one yeah? You can still key in, the review done on here is per chapter, you digest a chapter and then log in to voice out what the author got right or missed out.
Oh, how does that work? Taking on 6 books at a time Just doesn't sit right with me maybe because I feel it's cram work, like in school where we had to take on, at a time, more than one book just to pass our exams rather than reading to understand, or not?

See it this way—novels are just miniature representations of life, and reality is just a play-out of millions, if not billions of novels. So, if we are already living out billions of books daily, then how is it any different from reading 6 books at the same time?

And it's not cramming (Who the hell crams novels? Chai!! grin) . Maybe because I'm 100% a visual learner, which is why when I read something, even if it's just once, I understand quickly and never forget.

You just have to condition yourself to mentally multitask and to not get overwhelmed while doing so.

I should start the book-americanah, I've received soft copy from Obinoscopy.

Kindly forward the soft copy to me. I would like to send it to a friend. Pleaseeeeeeee.

Do you read John Grisham?
Re: Nairaland Book Club For Book Lovers by Nobody: 8:55am On Aug 14, 2016
Busayorafael:

The Godfather has a lot of lessons to parcel out to the reader. It is a timeless book; the best book I read last year.

Mario Puzo was a great storyteller.
Thanks. I'll definitely check it out. Is it fiction?
Re: Nairaland Book Club For Book Lovers by sirkendrick(m): 9:50am On Aug 14, 2016
Please can anyone give me a link of how to download half a a yellow sun by ngozi adiche I will be very grateful thanks
Re: Nairaland Book Club For Book Lovers by Pdizzle(m): 11:01am On Aug 14, 2016
aalangel:
I need to read the conclusion of "Not My Thing" by James Hardley Chase. Read it like 20 years ago, but the book was torn. I've searched for it online and offline.

What's your email address, i have the epub format.
And any other JHC you need.

2 Likes

Re: Nairaland Book Club For Book Lovers by aalangel(f): 4:22pm On Aug 14, 2016
Pdizzle:

What's your email address, i have the epub format. And any other JHC you need.
wow. Thanks a lot.

(1) (2) (3) ... (15) (16) (17) (18) (19) (20) (21) ... (30) (Reply)

For A Woman "Put To Bed" As Given Birth. How Correct Is It / Young Authors of Nigeria (YAN) -Join Now! / Matrimony Of Secrets

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 69
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.