Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,689 members, 7,816,811 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 05:41 PM

Why Do Igbos Especially The Anambrans Marry From Their Tribe? - Culture (19) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Why Do Igbos Especially The Anambrans Marry From Their Tribe? (90489 Views)

The 10 Most Expensive Cultures/tribes In Nigeria To Marry From / If You Don't Have 500,000naira, You CANT Marry From Nsukka (pic Proof) / 10 Most Expensive Cultures To Marry From In Nigeria (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (16) (17) (18) (19) (20) (21) (22) ... (25) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Why Do Igbos Especially The Anambrans Marry From Their Tribe? by tonychristopher: 9:49pm On Feb 22, 2015
RealtorOtabor:
God bless you OP! Am Edo, dating this bundle of beauty Anambra lady. Her greatest fear is her parent won't agree to us cos am not her tribe. I personally think it's so wrong for such sentiment. Shouldn't our happiness be priority?!

What happened to your edo girls and the ones in abroad ...why don't you marry them.

To be factual ..she wont marry you

Bet me

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why Do Igbos Especially The Anambrans Marry From Their Tribe? by Nobody: 9:49pm On Feb 22, 2015
laudate:

And you should also stop living in denial and stop pretending like you don't know what goes on whenever Igbo people decide to embark on inter-tribal marriages. You are the one out of touch with the norms of your people. So educate yourself.

Ishilove put it beautifully in her piece. Go and read it and stop playing the ostrich.

Igbos marry outside of their tribe more than other tribes do. Thats the crux of the matter

2 Likes

Re: Why Do Igbos Especially The Anambrans Marry From Their Tribe? by EagleNest(m): 9:50pm On Feb 22, 2015
bigfrancis21:

Igbo bashing has become quite a common thing in Nigeria such that it has become normal to bash Igbo on every single thing, even on things that are meaningless.

You created this thread to ask why Igbo prefer to marry from their tribe. Are you really serious? This is a question you opened this thread for looking for 'answers'? Would you have opened this very thread in the first place had a Yoruba or Hausa guy been the one who preferred to marry from their tribe? Yes or No? Why would a Yoruba parent reject a non-yoruba suitor, and that will not be an issue. In fact, such action is justified. A Hausa parent will do the same and no dust will be raised about it. But when an Igbo parent does the same, then its a big deal. It is a serious issue that calls for serious attention and criticism, then you begin to get tags like ''Igbos are 'tribalistic'', 'they are 'selfish'', it is an 'Igbo problem' e.t.c. Minor issues that aren't issues when done by other tribes become a serious issue when Igbo is involved.

I look around me, majority Ibibios marry within the Ibibio tribe, majority Hausas marry within Hausa, Yoruba within Yoruba, why should the Igbo marrying within themselves even be a question in the first place? Despite the level of inter marriage between whites and blacks here in the US, majority whites marry within whites, chinese within chinese, blacks within blacks, and you're going to sit there and tell me that it is a problem when Igbos prefer to marry Igbos?? Like seriously??

I get your point about love being the most important factor between 2 people from different tribes and there are marriages between Igbo men and non-Igbo women however majority Igbos don't need to look outside for love when they can find it within themselves. The same love you mentioned as important, Igbo men get it from within the tribe. Why look outside? What about culture preservation and values? Why should Igbo preferring to marry from within even be an issue in the first place when other tribes are doing the same? Is the creation of this thread even justified in the first place?

Igbo people are tribalistic, they are evil, they love money, yet you want to marry them? Seriously?

Tomorrow you're going to open another thread asking 'Why do Igbo people speak Igbo?' Like seriously??

End of discussion. Well Explained!!!!

2 Likes

Re: Why Do Igbos Especially The Anambrans Marry From Their Tribe? by Neplusultra(f): 9:53pm On Feb 22, 2015
Igbo men =loving, caring, hard working, romantic,its either igbo or its igbo, notin short of igbo kiss

1 Like

Re: Why Do Igbos Especially The Anambrans Marry From Their Tribe? by Neplusultra(f): 9:54pm On Feb 22, 2015
nzeobi:
We prefer people who understand us better. Nobody will marry from a tri be that will using his hard earned money for owambe and stuffs like that.
Ka chineke mezie okwu
grin
Re: Why Do Igbos Especially The Anambrans Marry From Their Tribe? by laudate: 9:58pm On Feb 22, 2015
J12:

Igbos marry outside of their tribe more than other tribes do. Thats the crux of the matter

And where did you conduct this census? Who verified it? Just because a few inter-tribal marriages occurred within your own family, you now think it has become the standard operating practice among every clan and kindred in Igbo land?? shocked

Just swerve..abeg! angry
Re: Why Do Igbos Especially The Anambrans Marry From Their Tribe? by uzoexcel(m): 9:58pm On Feb 22, 2015
Imo...reppn since 1880 cool
Sweetlemon:
Funny I was just about starting a thread on this.

Igbos are generally stiff but the Anambrans take the cake. Those ones will not even marry outside Anambra sef (if possible their LGA) not to talk of crossing Igbo. Abomination! Only very few exposed Anambrans have been able to marry out of Anambra after fighting through heavy resistance from their nuclear and extended families.

My favourite SE states are Imo and Enugu. Very liberal people.
Re: Why Do Igbos Especially The Anambrans Marry From Their Tribe? by whatx: 10:03pm On Feb 22, 2015
kelvin100:

Bro, your problem was because you were POOR!
Call a spade a spade and face the truth.

From the family's perspective, they needed to secure her financial well-being which you can't guarantee.
If you had played your card well and promised her marriage, she would have waited for you, after all, you have potential to make it in life.

In fact, i love your comment. But i am of a school of thought that believes in dating before marriage. 1 year nor reach to date my wife.
Though i agree with you, then i was wretched.
Owo na bastard
Re: Why Do Igbos Especially The Anambrans Marry From Their Tribe? by iiiyyyk(m): 10:04pm On Feb 22, 2015
Nigerians won't let igbo's be. They say all sort of things against us, yet their girls won't leave us, and their men won't leave our women. I ve several friends that are not igbos but insist on marrying igbos. Last yr, we were in the palour of the elder brother of one of my friend who married and igbo girl, and his elder brother said something that shock me, he said.... if i had known, i would have married an igbo girl. He said it because any little query, his wife will leave their kids and run away.

Igbos have wonderful trait, hard working and mostly committed to family both their women and men. Its only in a crazy country like nigeria that out of envy people want to turn that to disadvantage.
When i was serving, thats how one girl fell in love to me, one day she told me her friend an igbo girl told her, igbo guys will always go back to marry igbo girls. I laughed,
and that was exactly what i did.
We have the most beautiful, hardworking, understanding, committed ......etc women in the world. why should i leave them for another tribe.

#Proudlyigbowife.

4 Likes

Re: Why Do Igbos Especially The Anambrans Marry From Their Tribe? by Input(m): 10:04pm On Feb 22, 2015
I see many breakup after now.... op u never know wetin u cause so
Re: Why Do Igbos Especially The Anambrans Marry From Their Tribe? by Nobody: 10:09pm On Feb 22, 2015
laudate:

And where did you conduct this census? Who verified it? Just because a few inter-tribal marriages occurred within your own family, you now think it has become the standard operating practice among every clan and kindred in Igbo land?? shocked

Just swerve..abeg! angry

And who the hell are you to say ottherwise when me who is an igbo man with igbo friends and relations I doubt you don't any igbo person in your life and you're making judgments based on comments made on an internet forum.
Dude get your annoying self off my face

1 Like

Re: Why Do Igbos Especially The Anambrans Marry From Their Tribe? by Neplusultra(f): 10:10pm On Feb 22, 2015
bigfrancis21:

Igbo bashing has become quite a common thing in Nigeria such that it has become normal to bash Igbo on every single thing, even on things that are meaningless.

You created this thread to ask why Igbo prefer to marry from their tribe. Are you really serious? This is a question you opened this thread for looking for 'answers'? Would you have opened this very thread in the first place had a Yoruba or Hausa guy been the one who preferred to marry from their tribe? Yes or No? Why would a Yoruba parent reject a non-yoruba suitor, and that will not be an issue. In fact, such action is justified. A Hausa parent will do the same and no dust will be raised about it. But when an Igbo parent does the same, then its a big deal. It is a serious issue that calls for serious attention and criticism, then you begin to get tags like ''Igbos are 'tribalistic'', 'they are 'selfish'', it is an 'Igbo problem' e.t.c. Minor issues that aren't issues when done by other tribes become a serious issue when Igbo is involved.

I look around me, majority Ibibios marry within the Ibibio tribe, majority Hausas marry within Hausa, Yoruba within Yoruba, why should the Igbo marrying within themselves even be a question in the first place? Despite the level of inter marriage between whites and blacks here in the US, majority whites marry within whites, chinese within chinese, blacks within blacks, and you're going to sit there and tell me that it is a problem when Igbos prefer to marry Igbos?? Like seriously??

I get your point about love being the most important factor between 2 people from different tribes and there are marriages between Igbo men and non-Igbo women however majority Igbos don't need to look outside for love when they can find it within themselves. The same love you mentioned as important, Igbo men get it from within the tribe. Why look outside? What about culture preservation and values? Why should Igbo preferring to marry from within even be an issue in the first place when other tribes are doing the same? Is the creation of this thread even justified in the first place?

Igbo people are tribalistic, they are evil, they love money, yet you want to marry them? Seriously?

Tomorrow you're going to open another thread asking 'Why do Igbo people speak Igbo?' Like seriously??
Well said.

2 Likes

Re: Why Do Igbos Especially The Anambrans Marry From Their Tribe? by EagleNest(m): 10:10pm On Feb 22, 2015
chillingbabe:
It is VERY VERY TRUE...An anambra guy can date you and have a successful relationship with you but when it comes to marriage, he's DEFINATELY gonna marry a gal from his state..IT IS SOOOOOOO TRUE...It is very difficult for an anambra guy to marry a gal dats not from his state..
If you're not from anambra DON'T bother dating a guy from there, only if u wanna have fun..
As for me, once I hear Anambra, I RUN!! #NoTimeToWaste undecided

Stop deceiving yourself and people with such myth and stereotype.

See all your words in capital letter are simply deceitful.

Don't stop running anyway when no one is pursuing you...

3 Likes

Re: Why Do Igbos Especially The Anambrans Marry From Their Tribe? by marieclare(f): 10:13pm On Feb 22, 2015
splashbaby:
No hard feelings.. You drift differs from mine, which is an expression of my own personal views as I see them.. I did not quote you because I was discussing you own opinion... I quoted you because I was adding to it...still on the matter.. Learn how to understand other people's point of view before jumping to a conclusion.

I understood you and was not jumping into anything; that was why I said you are entitled to your opinion. I did not know you were "adding" to my thoughts like you said and that's why I didn't see the correlation between your words and mine. Nice day to you anyway...
Re: Why Do Igbos Especially The Anambrans Marry From Their Tribe? by urcutecrush(f): 10:17pm On Feb 22, 2015
My step dad is ibo.
dated Ibo before.
current bf too is Ibo.
I luv d fact they are caring.
But the fact be told,they r too TRIBaLISTIC.
Re: Why Do Igbos Especially The Anambrans Marry From Their Tribe? by Neplusultra(f): 10:18pm On Feb 22, 2015
BabaO2:
Really it is biblical to marry your tribe so that all your blessings will remain on the land/tribe which God has blessed you with. But these days, because of canal, we are modernizing/ trivializing instructions of God to our biblical fathers.
Dey dont know dis one. Very true.
Re: Why Do Igbos Especially The Anambrans Marry From Their Tribe? by hanbaliola(m): 10:19pm On Feb 22, 2015
[quote author=bigfrancis21 post=30931513]

your repetitions are many, haha
Re: Why Do Igbos Especially The Anambrans Marry From Their Tribe? by PoorUgly(m): 10:21pm On Feb 22, 2015
I no wan marry but all these things wey una dey write here against our sweet women don dey make me dey think about all the sweet sweet sweetness wey ful our Anambra dem ladies body.

Una dey make me change my mind o o o!

I be like say, I go go carry one fine Anambra girl now begin marry.

Anambra women sweet no be small. Abi na the wide hips and curvateous curves, if they swing am for your face you forget the name of your tribe.

ANAMBRA LADIES UNA TOO MUCH. MAKE UNA NO MIND THEM O O O.

WE UNA BROTHERS DEY HERE TO GIVE UNA LOVE, THE ANAMBRA WAY.

WHICH WOMAN FROM WHICH TRIBE SABI COOK BITTER LEAF SOUP? EHN! I DEY ASK WHICH WOMAN FROM WHICH TRIBE GO GIVE ME BITTER LEAF SOUP AS I WANT AM?

MAKE UNA LIF OUR GIRLS FOR US! JELOSY FIFUL!

3 Likes

Re: Why Do Igbos Especially The Anambrans Marry From Their Tribe? by AngelJennifer: 10:21pm On Feb 22, 2015
O boy see where this post don reach. Igbo u na strong o i hail una wela.
Re: Why Do Igbos Especially The Anambrans Marry From Their Tribe? by Nobody: 10:22pm On Feb 22, 2015
leave chillingbabe o guess she will be happy if her brother or son marries a woman much older than him. madam keep running till you meet shekau,no vacancy for you in Anambra......
kelvin100:

Is Anita an Igbo?
Was she accepted easily or not in the same family?

Now that asks a question about Lola's character!
Re: Why Do Igbos Especially The Anambrans Marry From Their Tribe? by Neplusultra(f): 10:22pm On Feb 22, 2015
#ProudlyAnambrarianByAffinity #AnambraMenRocks kiss

2 Likes

Re: Why Do Igbos Especially The Anambrans Marry From Their Tribe? by laudate: 10:23pm On Feb 22, 2015
J12:

And who the hell are you to say ottherwise when me who is an igbo man with igbo friends and relations I doubt you don't any igbo person in your life and you're making judgments based on comments made on an internet forum.
Dude get your annoying self off my face

Haba! Na so di matter pain you reach??!! shocked shocked

Bros, open your eyes oh. Nobody is passing judgment on the internet. I have lived in the south-east and I even have a few Igbo relatives. The issues raised here are facts that have been corroborated by your fellow Igbo men on this very same thread!! shocked . So why you come dey vex? If you choose to deny the truth, and wallow in self-denial, that is your own business. undecided

You simply do not have the courage to say the plain truth that many others have stated here in no uncertain terms. Try to educate yourself. And when you are done, abeg swerve!
Re: Why Do Igbos Especially The Anambrans Marry From Their Tribe? by Nobody: 10:25pm On Feb 22, 2015
bigfrancis21:

I beginning to see that you're merely obsessed with Igbo and anything Igbo just like one non-Igbo nairalander I met last year here in US who is deeply consumed with Igbo issues. One minute he spews incoherent statements against Igbo yet the next minute he speaks Igbo to me, knows deep details about Igboland that an Igbo person would know and obsesses over Igbo females. This guy would spend all day on his laptop browsing on Igbo this, Igbo that and what have you. That was when I began to believe that some people are deeply obsessed with Igbo issue. I won't mention his tribe to avoid a tribal war.

This cracked me up
Deaddd

2 Likes

Re: Why Do Igbos Especially The Anambrans Marry From Their Tribe? by iiiyyyk(m): 10:26pm On Feb 22, 2015
kelvin100:
I've come to a conclusion that all these attacks are to forbid Igbos from marrying from within.

Why would others want to marry Igbos?

An Igbo man would very likely going to be a middle class income earner and they are reputed to adore and lavish affection on their wives? Which girl wouldn't want that?

An Igbo woman is reputed to be beautiful, loving, very hardworking and supportive of her husband financially. Most importantly, an Igbo woman is less likely to cheat and less likely to divorce than most others. Which man wouldn't want that?

Now they all want us to abandon our own so they would profit from our good traits.

Lie Lie!

True talk my brother, we are wiser, our traits are given to us by God.
Most of my life, i ve lived within none igbo communities, they go inside they envy us and wish they were us, they come out they call us all sort of fake names.
In their eyes, young igbo boys will start with nothing, and within few yrs there millionaires. Theirs doughters will always flock around, but in 98% of cases the young man will marry an igbo sister that will be a strong support to him.
we have no apology for that....
Re: Why Do Igbos Especially The Anambrans Marry From Their Tribe? by cheruv: 10:27pm On Feb 22, 2015
CHM11:
Dear OP, please leave igbos alone if you are not igbo. Let them keep marrying themselves, its better for them.

I just pity peeps who date igbos!!,..especially igbos who live or have lived in the east...how do you cope with them??

Had to live amongst some east-based igbo guys and ladies during my NYSC..... Worst experience of my life....
Its worse that when they are told they are hard to understand, they all fall back to insulting in their local dialect.. You will hear things like ewu, anuofia etc...proving my point again....

igbo ndị karịsịa ndị na-dabeere nọ n'ebe ọwụwa anyanwụ dị
nnọọ na-akpa ọchị ndị mmadụ. Ha anaghị akpa àgwà ka
nkịtị mmadụ. Ndị njem dị anya ma obosara ịmụta na-akpa
àgwà dị mma ma ndị na-ahụ n'ebe ọwụwa anyanwụ bụ nanị
larịị na ụmụ anụmanụ. Onye ọ bụla na-anaghị amasị nwere
ike iji kacha nso eriri ka kpọgidere ya onwe ya. na-akpa ọchị
ndị mmadụ.

Plenty tongue out!!!!
nwa Sobo(urhobo) a,o dika Igbo gi a vu oru ntughari Google grin

2 Likes

Re: Why Do Igbos Especially The Anambrans Marry From Their Tribe? by Nobody: 10:28pm On Feb 22, 2015
which break up,they purposely created a bashing thread to soften our guys heart towards them. i no wan marry you,n a by force?
Input:
I see many breakup after now.... op u never know wetin u cause so
Re: Why Do Igbos Especially The Anambrans Marry From Their Tribe? by Neplusultra(f): 10:28pm On Feb 22, 2015
stunningjudy:

Babe, why are u drinking paracetamol for ur friend's headache? Did she complain to you about the guy not proposing or him being tribalistic? IMHO, mind your business and leave Igbos alone.
My dear eh! I tire! undecided
Re: Why Do Igbos Especially The Anambrans Marry From Their Tribe? by Nobody: 10:28pm On Feb 22, 2015
If you check my thread,it's a question not an allegation all you needed to do was to give ur advice to d Lady.I know d Yorubas nd Hausas do dat but in dis case d guy is igbo.You Igbo guys aren't giving me answers dat I want instead u r paranoid.Abeg no be me start am oh.

Why are u concern?
Remember she told u "culture preservation
Re: Why Do Igbos Especially The Anambrans Marry From Their Tribe? by tonychristopher: 10:29pm On Feb 22, 2015
iiiyyyk:
Nigerians won't let igbo's be. They say all sort of things against us, yet their girls won't leave us, and their men won't leave our women. I ve several finds that are not igbo s but insist on marrying igbos. Last yr, we were in the palour of the elder brother of one of my friend who married and igbo girl, and his elder brother said something that shock me, he said if i had known, i would have married an igbo girl. He said it because any little query, his wife will leave their kids and run away.

Igbos have wonderful trait, hard working and mostly committed to family both and women and men. Its only in a crazycountry like nigeria that people want to turn that to disadvantage.
When i was serving, thats how one girl fell in love to me, one day she told me her friend an igbo girl told her, igbo guys will always go marry igbo girls. I laughed,
and that was exactly what i did.
We have the most beautiful, hardworking, understanding, committed ......etc women, why should i leave them for another tribe.

I have seen a Yoruba woman that her husband lefy with seven girls that swore that her girls must marry igbo men

I laughed she explained to me why

But I won't say it here

2 Likes

Re: Why Do Igbos Especially The Anambrans Marry From Their Tribe? by Neplusultra(f): 10:31pm On Feb 22, 2015
mascaraWand:

See them! lipsrsealed
This is so unfair cry cry
grin cheesy
Re: Why Do Igbos Especially The Anambrans Marry From Their Tribe? by Neplusultra(f): 10:32pm On Feb 22, 2015
Chukwugekwu:
oh my goodness every time igbo, igbo what is that. .....

For me my tribe babe's are so nice and precious. .....mmwwaa.
I can't wait to get married with my tribe
Lolz! Hurry up oo! grin
Re: Why Do Igbos Especially The Anambrans Marry From Their Tribe? by PoorUgly(m): 10:32pm On Feb 22, 2015
iiiyyyk:

True talk my brother, we are wiser, our traits are given to us by God.
Most of my life, i ve lived within none igbo communities, they go inside they envy us and wish they were us, they come out they call us all sort of fake names.
In their eyes, young igbo boys will start with nothing, and within few yrs there millionaires. Theirs doughters will always flock around, but in 98% of cases the young man will marry an igbo sister that will be a strong support to him.
we have no apology for that....

Yes!! leave them am enjoying this!

#TeamAnambra

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) ... (16) (17) (18) (19) (20) (21) (22) ... (25) (Reply)

Photo Of Ooni Of Ife's New Wife As Claimed By Women Of Rubies (But It Is Fake) / Hero:king JAJA OF OPOBO Full Biography,history Battle With The British(pictures) / Urhobo Names And Their Meanings.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 91
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.