Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,175 members, 7,821,982 topics. Date: Wednesday, 08 May 2024 at 11:32 PM

Afe Babalola University Hikes Fees Of Medical Students From 1.7m to 2.6m - Education (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Afe Babalola University Hikes Fees Of Medical Students From 1.7m to 2.6m (24100 Views)

School Fees Of Anchor University, Deeper Life Owned (Screenshots) / CGPA Of OAU Best Graduating Engineering Students From 1987 / Ambrose Ali University Hikes Freshers Fees by 200% (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Afe Babalola University Hikes Fees Of Medical Students From 1.7m to 2.6m by Nobody: 9:31am On Feb 21, 2015
This is pathetic and inhumane! wat d hell did dey increase ot for? Abi excursion fee be dat? This is crazy.. well dat Nigeria for you... no one protests anything.. no wonder private unis no gree get Student union... with ds fee people go still get third class and 2.2...Nna u guys shud do a collective protesting.. Happened in IUO before medicine was accredited. . again
Re: Afe Babalola University Hikes Fees Of Medical Students From 1.7m to 2.6m by Chartey(m): 9:32am On Feb 21, 2015
Do they even have a teaching hospital? They will still use the govt hospitals and play second fiddle to the medical students of the govt school who primarily use that hospital.
Re: Afe Babalola University Hikes Fees Of Medical Students From 1.7m to 2.6m by SeraSera(m): 9:46am On Feb 21, 2015
kunlenkirol:
I don't blame private universities, I blame those who patronise them. Well, when the wards can't pass JAMB, they will go through the back door to achieve their aim. I don't see why people should send their wards to private universities in the first place. When Federal Universities and State Universities are there. To start with, not that their graduates are doing that well in the labour market, even academically, they are found wanton. They can't compete with their mates from federal and state universities. The other time in my Master classes, there were these boys from one of the private universities, who couldn't even make a presentation. I am not here to malign anybody or any school. What I am saying is that, government and the public should look inward and do the necessary to checklist and checkmate these anomalies being perpetrated by the private universities. Let them do d needful!

You claim you do not intend to malign anybody or institution, yet that is precisely what your post does, and without good reasons too.

Firstly, you should ask yourself how many deserving students who pass the JAMB cut-off mark actually make it into Federal and State Universities. Perhaps between 10 and 30 percent? Give yourself the honest answer why this is the case and proceed to tell me what you propose should happen to the remaining 70 or more percent of intelligent students who, through no fault of theirs, are not accepted into Federal or State Universities.

Secondly, contrary to what you have made yourself believe, graduates from Private Universities are actually doing well, both in the labour market and in academia. It's all subjective, really. Just as you have mentioned cases of people from Private Institutions who couldn't make presentations, I could as well tell you of graduates from Public Institutions who couldn't even spell their names. What then does that imply? That all Public University graduates can't spell their names?

I agree with you that more needs to be done by government and other stakeholders to sanitise the system all round, with keener focus on Public Institutions for which they are directly responsible.

3 Likes

Re: Afe Babalola University Hikes Fees Of Medical Students From 1.7m to 2.6m by zicoraads: 9:47am On Feb 21, 2015
peemyke:
Na wa for school business o...ID card wey b N500 Infact highest 1k. N5,000 ki ni. Nah gold plated ID card? undecided
Re: Afe Babalola University Hikes Fees Of Medical Students From 1.7m to 2.6m by Dio1(m): 9:53am On Feb 21, 2015
IHate9ja1:
i dont get dis private univ. stuff,instead i wld spend such cash on my kids to iceland,germany,south africa et al to get better quality on such fees and not just one priv univ in our rotten educational system.in south africa d fees aint upto 1m self.
International students don't get admitted to study medicine in South Africa . QUALITY medical education doesn't come cheap .
Re: Afe Babalola University Hikes Fees Of Medical Students From 1.7m to 2.6m by IamDanto7(m): 10:02am On Feb 21, 2015
onyeguy:
Ok Buhari should show us his certificate also cheesy cheesy cheesy please

Re: Afe Babalola University Hikes Fees Of Medical Students From 1.7m to 2.6m by bembesty(m): 10:12am On Feb 21, 2015
It is too costly
Re: Afe Babalola University Hikes Fees Of Medical Students From 1.7m to 2.6m by talktrue1(m): 10:12am On Feb 21, 2015
5k for Id card.
haba
Re: Afe Babalola University Hikes Fees Of Medical Students From 1.7m to 2.6m by adbokus(m): 10:14am On Feb 21, 2015
why shuld anyone pay even 1million naira to study any course in nigeria?! dis is a questn ofvwht is rite or nt..nt people hvin moni to pay or smtin..the man got da lands he built his infernal empire on for free frm ekiti people and he is paying them back with dis!!! dis is greed at its summit and shuld nt be lookd on with the lens of envy, indifference or petulance...
Re: Afe Babalola University Hikes Fees Of Medical Students From 1.7m to 2.6m by bembesty(m): 10:19am On Feb 21, 2015
Abi ooo dey don't hav a teaching hospital oooo.but dat amount s not worth it sad
Re: Afe Babalola University Hikes Fees Of Medical Students From 1.7m to 2.6m by EHoudini: 10:23am On Feb 21, 2015
26m or 2.6m? If its d latter no comment. Only when it gets to first!
Re: Afe Babalola University Hikes Fees Of Medical Students From 1.7m to 2.6m by kunlenkirol(m): 10:38am On Feb 21, 2015
SeraSera:

You claim you do not intend to malign anybody or institution, yet that is precisely what your post does, and without good reasons too.

Firstly, you should ask yourself how many deserving students who pass the JAMB cut-off mark actually make it into Federal and State Universities. Perhaps between 10 and 30 percent? Give yourself the honest answer why this is the case and proceed to tell me what you propose should happen to the remaining 70 or more percent of intelligent students who, through no fault of theirs, are not accepted into Federal or State Universities.

Secondly, contrary to what you have made yourself believe, graduates from Private Universities are actually doing well, both in the labour market and in academia. It's all subjective, really. Just as you have mentioned cases of people from Private Institutions who couldn't make presentations, I could as well tell you of graduates from Public Institutions who couldn't even spell their names. What then does that imply? That all Public University graduates can't spell their names?

I agree with you that more needs to be done by government and other stakeholders to sanitise the system all round, with keener focus on Public Institutions for which they are directly responsible.
with great humility, I am very sorry if I offend u or any other people that may feel offended. However, I don't see reasons why private Universities should hike their school fee if one of their reasons for establishing them is what u said above on they trying to cushion the effect of many brillant candidates who couldn't gain admission. I actually agree with u but in actual fact, many of them are not doing well academically. I am not being fallacious here.
I think what should be done is for the government to regulate their activities and provide a common ground on admission processes and tution. This will give all and sundry the opportunity to choose. But in a situation where only the rich can afford to go to such schools is not palatable at all.
My proposition, government should be encouraged to build more universities to compliment the existing ones. Like I have already posited, the activities of private schools should be regulated.
Re: Afe Babalola University Hikes Fees Of Medical Students From 1.7m to 2.6m by idu1(m): 10:45am On Feb 21, 2015
Mor.ons

Unilag
Abu
UniIb
Unimaid
Udusok
UniIL
Buk
Unical
Unn etc

The above schools are 100 per cent better and more preferable to all those mushroom millions universities.
Re: Afe Babalola University Hikes Fees Of Medical Students From 1.7m to 2.6m by Lagusta(m): 10:46am On Feb 21, 2015
idu1:
Mor.ons

Unilag
Abu
UniIb
Unimaid
Udusok
UniIL
Buk
Unical
Unn etc

The above schools are 100 per cent better and more preferable to all those mushroom millions universities.

Oga why u no mention UNILORIN BETTER BY FAR!!!!
Re: Afe Babalola University Hikes Fees Of Medical Students From 1.7m to 2.6m by kunlenkirol(m): 10:47am On Feb 21, 2015
prettyboi1989:

dude if u had d money u wont be aving dis sober thought. so people dat went to harvard or any of the ivy league schools were wasting their money abi? is it evritin data cheap dat has value? for afe babz dia fee is unfair basd on d fact dat its a nigerian uni usin d nuc standard n nt a foreign uni using a diff standard whch comes at a price.
if you spend such an amount on one of the Ivy League schools, then you won't have to suffer looking for job. Over there, they teach people how to be an enterpreneur.
Re: Afe Babalola University Hikes Fees Of Medical Students From 1.7m to 2.6m by olayinka63: 10:51am On Feb 21, 2015
if there is no damage from students will they refund deposit against damages fee of #50,000 at the end of the session. chai there is god ooo
Re: Afe Babalola University Hikes Fees Of Medical Students From 1.7m to 2.6m by Nobody: 10:51am On Feb 21, 2015
[quote author=Dio1 post=30937443] International students don't get admitted to study medicine in South Africa . QUALITY medical education doesn't come cheap . [/quote

Dunno knw abt that,am referring to d tution cost here
Re: Afe Babalola University Hikes Fees Of Medical Students From 1.7m to 2.6m by ogiewanye(m): 11:11am On Feb 21, 2015
cry
ABUAD why?
Re: Afe Babalola University Hikes Fees Of Medical Students From 1.7m to 2.6m by Nobody: 11:12am On Feb 21, 2015
Ishilove:
O.Y.O is their case.

Eyah. Funny enough, those who can still afford will pay without complaint

Please ishilove, I was banned from romance section for no reason. I have mailed the mods but nothing has been done.
Please help me look into the matter
Thanks
Re: Afe Babalola University Hikes Fees Of Medical Students From 1.7m to 2.6m by Nobody: 11:22am On Feb 21, 2015
Jesus CHrist!!!!! I cant believe this... But why? I heard all the students there are nasty, all they do is Bleep and get high..
Re: Afe Babalola University Hikes Fees Of Medical Students From 1.7m to 2.6m by idu1(m): 11:28am On Feb 21, 2015
Lagusta:

Oga why u no mention UNILORIN BETTER BY FAR!!!!
lol check again 'uniIL'...
Re: Afe Babalola University Hikes Fees Of Medical Students From 1.7m to 2.6m by popcykaylah(m): 11:46am On Feb 21, 2015
give igboman 2.6m multiplied by 7 years and see what he turns that money into.. I'm a yoruba man but I credit those guys..a guy in my class back I'm secondary school was sent to our school by his master ..he didn't further after ss3 ..we all furthered our education then...most of are unemployed now.. some of s who are employed are struggling to survive ..the igboboy in my class has 6shops 2warehouses and 2 nice cars and a home to himself.. we pay stupidly for education and yet nothing to show for..most robbers caught today are either graduates or diploma holders..even drug dealers and yahoo boys..I don't blame them but they are frustrated ..Nigeria has no future

1 Like

Re: Afe Babalola University Hikes Fees Of Medical Students From 1.7m to 2.6m by r0cky(m): 11:54am On Feb 21, 2015
Amusaopeyemi:

It's a very nice apartment o, big sitting room, each room has its own bath and toilet, plus the kichen has a store too. It is a new house sef, with gate and fence. It is 150 for a year.
wow! that sounds great! what more can one ask for. just that the ikorodu distance! my work is mainly on the mainland
Re: Afe Babalola University Hikes Fees Of Medical Students From 1.7m to 2.6m by omonnakoda: 11:58am On Feb 21, 2015
ayobase:
how much did Afe himself pay as a law undergraduate at UI?

My brother is a victim of this daylight robbery with 400 level in view.

Though, government is yet to accredit the school, but we mustn't compromise the fact that the school is SOUND.

I wouldnt blame the school authority, I blame the parents who still went ahead with payments despite the hikes from 900,000 to 1.7M without mumbling.

Believe me, they wanted adding 1M to make it 2.7M, but adding 900,000 to make it 2.6M makes the figure a bit appealing.

this is unacceptable and mustn't be allowed to stay.

Or do they think na only children of the rich dey attend the school?
Na from pure water, pepper, rice, beans et al. gains we dey pay my brother's fee o.

we no go gree o.
Who said he went to UI
Re: Afe Babalola University Hikes Fees Of Medical Students From 1.7m to 2.6m by engrjacuzzi: 12:11pm On Feb 21, 2015
I will rather go to a reputable school like Unilag, UI, unilorin, Uniuyo than waste my money on age babalola uni.. how on earth will ID card b #5,000? abi na ID card with chip for withdrawing money ni?
Re: Afe Babalola University Hikes Fees Of Medical Students From 1.7m to 2.6m by Nobody: 12:29pm On Feb 21, 2015
r0cky:
wow! that sounds great! what more can one ask for. just that the ikorodu distance! my work is mainly on the mainland
Yeah. Just the distance. I work on the mainland too.
Re: Afe Babalola University Hikes Fees Of Medical Students From 1.7m to 2.6m by r0cky(m): 12:36pm On Feb 21, 2015
Amusaopeyemi:

Yeah. Just the distance. I work on the mainland too.
and how do u cope with the transport and traffic?
Re: Afe Babalola University Hikes Fees Of Medical Students From 1.7m to 2.6m by Mgbadike80: 12:37pm On Feb 21, 2015
popcykaylah:
give igboman 2.6m multiplied by 7 years and see what he turns that money into.. I'm a yoruba man but I credit those guys..a guy in my class back I'm secondary school was sent to our school by his master ..he didn't further after ss3 ..we all furthered our education then...most of are unemployed now.. some of s who are employed are struggling to survive ..the igboboy in my class has 6shops 2warehouses and 2 nice cars and a home to himself.. we pay stupidly for education and yet nothing to show for..most robbers caught today are either graduates or diploma holders..even drug dealers and yahoo boys..I don't blame them but they are frustrated ..Nigeria has no future
yours is the most reasonable post so far but it's not perculiar to Nigeria.Nigerians are deceiving themselves with a paper certificate education without skills to back it up. many of these igbos dealing in pharmaceuticals make more money than doctors, pharmacists, nurses etc. all private hospitals and pharmacies buy from them. many of them have built or are building factories in the east in conjunction with their foreign suppliers

2 Likes

Re: Afe Babalola University Hikes Fees Of Medical Students From 1.7m to 2.6m by Nobody: 12:41pm On Feb 21, 2015
r0cky:
and how do u cope with the transport and traffic?
Traffic...... used to it. I close by 4pm and get home for 7pm max.
Transprt........ used to that one too, around 800naira per day.
Re: Afe Babalola University Hikes Fees Of Medical Students From 1.7m to 2.6m by Nobody: 12:57pm On Feb 21, 2015
Una still dey value naira.
These amount is not too far from what naija students pay abroad. Some are even in south America...Guyana.
To run a private university is not easy especially running professional courses.
All these lecturers, NUC, etc will demand so much from the owners.
Re: Afe Babalola University Hikes Fees Of Medical Students From 1.7m to 2.6m by WhoDeyThere(m): 1:50pm On Feb 21, 2015
Re: Afe Babalola University Hikes Fees Of Medical Students From 1.7m to 2.6m by Nobody: 3:07pm On Feb 21, 2015
ID CARD 5000 NAIRA.
CHAI

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Why You Will Have A LOW CGPA In First Year / We Will Review Appeal Court’s Ruling, Decide On Next Action – ASUU / NANS Treasurer, Chinyelu Okolie Marks Birthday Amidst Loads Of Felicitations

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 47
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.