Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,978 members, 7,825,057 topics. Date: Sunday, 12 May 2024 at 03:14 AM

Buhari Arrives London On Charm Offensive - Newsweek London - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Buhari Arrives London On Charm Offensive - Newsweek London (32756 Views)

President Buhari Arrives London For Anti-corruption Summit(photos) / Panama Papers: Bukola Saraki Under Pressure After Leak - Newsweek International / Nigerian Opposition Leader Buhari Arrives In London On ‘charm Offensive’ Pics (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Buhari Arrives London On Charm Offensive - Newsweek London by Nobody: 12:45am On Feb 21, 2015
Nigerian opposition leader Muhammadu Buhari has flown to London in an attempt to ease Western fears about his leadership in the event that he succeeds in winning the upcoming presidential election.

Buhari, election candidate for the All Progressives Congress (APC), is up against incumbent Goodluck Jonathan in the vote, delayed until March 28 by the electoral commission on the recommendation of the country’s security services. The security authorities claimed that a six-week military operation against the radical Islamist group Boko Haram, which is being conducted in the northeast of the country, was scheduled to begin on the same day as the election, leaving an inadequate security presence for voters in the rest of the country.

According to his campaign, after flying in from the Nigerian capital, Abuja, Buhari is set to speak at the foreign policy NGO the Royal Institute of International Affairs at Chatham House as well as holding talks with “key members of the British political establishment”. However, Chatham House could not confirm that he would be speaking, only saying it was “likely” and Newsweek could not determine who Buhari would be meeting.

Manji Cheto, West Africa analyst at political risk consultancy Teneo Intelligence, believes that Buhari’s flying visit to Britain is to show Western officials that he is someone who will “adhere to democratic principles” if he is elected next month. “This is designed to position Buhari as pro-investment and pro-Western partners,” she says. “What [western officials] have heard is mostly information that the PDP [the rival People’s Democratic Party] has said to the world through propaganda.” “It’s him having private meetings as well to calm Western partners about any potential autocratic tendencies so to speak,” she adds.

A journalist with knowledge of the situation on the ground in Nigeria, who declined to be named on matters of Nigerian politics, added that the devout Muslim politician is on a “charm offensive” to reassure Western officials about not only his own credentials but also his ability to tackle the threat of the Boko Haram insurgency. “There is a feeling of anxiety among Western governments about Buhari, about what he represents and who his backers are,” the reporter noted. “So it doesn’t surprise me that he has flown in for talks before the election.” “He wants to, as much as reassure them about himself, also convince them that he has got a plan for dealing with Boko Haram. I think that would be top of his agenda.”

http://www.newsweek.com/nigerian-opposition-leader-buhari-arrives-london-charm-offensive-308235

26 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Buhari Arrives London On Charm Offensive - Newsweek London by Quote1: 12:49am On Feb 21, 2015
Thought they said the People's general is in London to treat cancer.

saTANists and propaganda are inseparable twins.

236 Likes 13 Shares

Re: Buhari Arrives London On Charm Offensive - Newsweek London by Goddex: 12:52am On Feb 21, 2015
OP, did you see this?

"However, Chatham House could not confirm that he would be speaking, only saying it was “likely” and Newsweek could not determine who Buhari would be meeting."

That old man is on a sick bed recuperating. Every other arrangee meeting may just be cover up. [size=13pt]'APC' and 'Lies' are synonymous.[/size]

[size=20pt]The man should also stop over at Cambridge for his authentic WASC certificate[/size] (if truly he sat for that exams)

142 Likes 13 Shares

Re: Buhari Arrives London On Charm Offensive - Newsweek London by Quote1: 12:58am On Feb 21, 2015
Goddex:
OP, did you see this?

"However, Chatham House could not confirm that he would be speaking, only saying it was “likely” and Newsweek could not determine who Buhari would be meeting."

That old man is on a sick bed recuperating.

You def need contemporary English. That Newsweek couldn't determine who he would be meeting suggests to you that he's sick You are sick undecided

202 Likes 6 Shares

Re: Buhari Arrives London On Charm Offensive - Newsweek London by Nobody: 1:00am On Feb 21, 2015
Goddex:
OP, did you see this?

That old man is on a sick bed recuperating. Every other arrangee meeting may just be cover up

Ur opinion

26 Likes 1 Share

Re: Buhari Arrives London On Charm Offensive - Newsweek London by NobleAky(m): 1:05am On Feb 21, 2015
I wonder the intonation he would use to convince the west of how he would be democratic if (but not possible) elected

that heavy hausa accent? No No No

33 Likes

Re: Buhari Arrives London On Charm Offensive - Newsweek London by Ikengawo: 1:05am On Feb 21, 2015
Hahaha lol, charming his nurse or his inflamed prostate?

17 Likes 1 Share

Re: Buhari Arrives London On Charm Offensive - Newsweek London by Nobody: 1:13am On Feb 21, 2015
NobleAky:
I wonder the intonation he would use to convince the west of how he would be democratic if (but not possible) elected

may be he never spoke a word in the war college back then in Cambridge.

47 Likes

Re: Buhari Arrives London On Charm Offensive - Newsweek London by pacesetter939: 1:29am On Feb 21, 2015
Goddex:
OP, did you see this?

That old man is on a sick bed recuperating. Every other arrangee meeting may just be cover up
This is only but your wish for the people's General but such desire shall backfire to you...

61 Likes

Re: Buhari Arrives London On Charm Offensive - Newsweek London by appini: 1:30am On Feb 21, 2015
The only thing I understands from the write-up is that Buhari is a suspect.

Someone that cannot be trusted... in fact, a Buhari that have a terroristic baggage he is trying to hide from the world.

27 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Buhari Arrives London On Charm Offensive - Newsweek London by appini: 1:32am On Feb 21, 2015
appini:
The only thing I understood from the write-up is that Buhari is a suspect.

Someone that cannot be trusted... in fact, a Buhari that have a terroristic baggage he is trying to hide from the world.

6 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Buhari Arrives London On Charm Offensive - Newsweek London by NobleAky(m): 1:44am On Feb 21, 2015
afolag:

may be he never spoke a word in the war college back then in Cambridge.
may be

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Buhari Arrives London On Charm Offensive - Newsweek London by opalu: 1:55am On Feb 21, 2015
As a veteran military general, he knows first hand that you don't disclose all your strategies.
At least newsweek an internationally reputed paper has confirmed that he is there for a noble purpose even though they were not told who he wants to meet. Of course when running against an incumbent, names won't be flying as much.
Sai Buhari

47 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Buhari Arrives London On Charm Offensive - Newsweek London by baybeeboi: 2:38am On Feb 21, 2015
politicians and lies.
Pity those of us that still listen to them

9 Likes 1 Share

Re: Buhari Arrives London On Charm Offensive - Newsweek London by modskiller(m): 2:55am On Feb 21, 2015
Arrives in Charms Ke!!! Abeg which charm jare #JujuThingsOnPoint

3 Likes

Re: Buhari Arrives London On Charm Offensive - Newsweek London by menesheh(m): 2:57am On Feb 21, 2015
Story

1 Like

Re: Buhari Arrives London On Charm Offensive - Newsweek London by agabusta: 3:21am On Feb 21, 2015
NobleAky:

See this one oh. To the white man he is just another funny accent English speaker just like the Yoruba man, igbo man and other Africans.

30 Likes

Re: Buhari Arrives London On Charm Offensive - Newsweek London by Firefire(m): 4:07am On Feb 21, 2015
Booohary is finished, looking for favor and support from the west after your evil deeds of the '80s ? Sorry too late Pa. Booohary.

Boohary balloon busted already. grin

4 Likes

Re: Buhari Arrives London On Charm Offensive - Newsweek London by Freetech: 4:12am On Feb 21, 2015
Another SaTANist lie bursted.
grin grin
I hope Fayose, the ambulance driver or is it taxi driver can enlightened Nigerian who he actually secretly ferried to uk in his imaginary air ambulance.

29 Likes

Re: Buhari Arrives London On Charm Offensive - Newsweek London by ZACHIE: 4:19am On Feb 21, 2015
My President -in- waiting.

Exile beckons on Bode George and Fayose

35 Likes

Re: Buhari Arrives London On Charm Offensive - Newsweek London by stinggy(m): 4:30am On Feb 21, 2015
Goddex:
OP, did you see this?

Recuperating? I thought you would even say he is dead.

SMH undecided

9 Likes

Re: Buhari Arrives London On Charm Offensive - Newsweek London by Nobody: 4:40am On Feb 21, 2015
Buhari has gone to meet the real owners of nigeria. He might meet the queen in an underground in buckinham palace.

7 Likes

Re: Buhari Arrives London On Charm Offensive - Newsweek London by PassingShot(m): 4:40am On Feb 21, 2015
Another propaganda of TANoids deflated.

10 Likes

Re: Buhari Arrives London On Charm Offensive - Newsweek London by Nobody: 5:27am On Feb 21, 2015
The people love him...
The thieving elite wants him there
The Ex-Generals are Clamoring for him
Vote General Muhammadu Buhari
Vote Change
Sai Baba

24 Likes

Re: Buhari Arrives London On Charm Offensive - Newsweek London by holatin(m): 5:29am On Feb 21, 2015
hey someone should call fayose if he hasn't died of high blood pressure concerning this news.

SaTANist how market ??

21 Likes 1 Share

Re: Buhari Arrives London On Charm Offensive - Newsweek London by OrlandoOwoh(m): 5:36am On Feb 21, 2015
Ikengawo:
Hahaha lol, charming his nurse or his inflamed prostate?
May inflamed prostrate be yours just as you wish Buhari.

25 Likes 1 Share

Re: Buhari Arrives London On Charm Offensive - Newsweek London by OrlandoOwoh(m): 5:40am On Feb 21, 2015
Let saTANists come tell us that Newsweek is owned by Tinubu, like the Nations.

10 Likes

Re: Buhari Arrives London On Charm Offensive - Newsweek London by dridowu: 6:58am On Feb 21, 2015
I don't know y pple are giving themselves headache about Buhari, if pdp like let them say that "they (pdp) saw him (Buhari) entering john hopkins hospital for treatment" na pdp wahala b dt. I have already decided who i will vote for and it is people general that i am voting for.
It is dos that are yet to decide that pdp can be using dr yeye talk for.
#SaiBuhari15
appini:
The only thing I understands from the write-up is that Buhari is a suspect.

Buhari a suspect ? Guy honestly u must be a comedian, a suspect would not have left his home talkless of going to a western country where he can easily be apprehend . Anyway, the real suspect in Nigeria politics as at today is Buruji Kashamu (PDP senatorial aspirant in Ogun State), Kashamu is a close ally of GEJ, he dare not step his foot outside Nigeria esp in Western Countries or else, you and i know the rest of the story.
Again you said Buhari has a terrorist baggage, like i said earlier you must basketmouth2, terrorist baggage yet he is going to western country and you still claim Buhari is hiding from the world. He would have stayed in his Daura hometown on a lowkey if truly he is a terrorist like you claim. Please don't spill fallacy again .
Enjoy your day

29 Likes

Re: Buhari Arrives London On Charm Offensive - Newsweek London by jorlons(m): 7:03am On Feb 21, 2015
A very good move sire. Strengthen ties, make as many allies as you can cause you are definitely going to Aso rock.

Vote change
Vote GMB/PYO

17 Likes

Re: Buhari Arrives London On Charm Offensive - Newsweek London by jorlons(m): 7:11am On Feb 21, 2015
NobleAky:

At least he doesn't have that inferiority complex syndrome which I think you definitely have judging from your comment.

It is ppl like you who'll do every thing possible to speak the way the white man doess. ''WANNABE''

14 Likes 1 Share

Re: Buhari Arrives London On Charm Offensive - Newsweek London by omenka(m): 7:15am On Feb 21, 2015
But the children of anger said it is all lies, that Buhari isn't in London, that the pictures of him supposedly walking in London are old pics taken in 2013 and recycled!!

So, as guy sympathetic to tanoids, I reject in totality this publication! The publisher must have been paid by Tinubu's APC! grin

11 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Yahaya Bello Flaunt His Style As He Leaves His Residence For A Meeting. Pics / "Ayu Can't Be Removed Now" - Atiku Replies Wike, Makinde / Adamu Garba Tells Opposition To Continue To "Waist" Their Time Going To Court

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 33
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.