Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,124 members, 7,814,941 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 12:37 AM

10yr Old Nigerian Girl Accepted On University Course In The UK To Study Maths - Education - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / 10yr Old Nigerian Girl Accepted On University Course In The UK To Study Maths (1570 Views)

Abiola, 21-Year-Old Nigerian Medical Doctor (Photos) / A Nairalander Scored 99% In A University Course (pic) / 10 Year Old Nigerian Girl Accepted In Uk University To Study Maths Degree (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

10yr Old Nigerian Girl Accepted On University Course In The UK To Study Maths by Islie: 11:15pm On Feb 23, 2015
She spends her spare time in a similar way to many other ten-year-old girls - playing with Barbie dolls and making loom bands. But the key difference between Esther Okade and other children her age is that she has been accepted to study for a university maths degree - despite not going to school.

Esther, from Walsall, West Midlands, has enrolled on an Open University course months after she passed her A-levels - and wants to study for a PhD before running her own bank.

The girl, who gained a C grade in her maths GCSE aged six, has joined the course which started this month. Her younger brother Isiah is already studying for his A-levels - also aged six.

The siblings are both home-schooled by their mother Omonefe, who has converted the living room of their semi-detached, three-bedroom house into a makeshift classroom.

Mathematician Mrs Okade, 37, said: ‘Esther is doing so well. She took a test recently and scored 100 per cent. Applying to the university was an interesting process because of her age.

‘We even had to talk to the vice-chancellor. After they interviewed her they realised that this has been her idea from the beginning. From the age of seven Esther has wanted to go to university.

‘But I was afraid it was too soon. She would say, “Mum, when am I starting?”, and go on and on and on. Finally, after three years she told me, “Mum, I think it is about time I started university now”.’
Mrs Okade added that Esther - who will study for her degree at home - was ‘flying’ and ‘so happy’ when she was accepted by the university, and wants to be a millionaire.

She said: ‘For now we want her to enjoy her childhood as well as her maths. By the time she was four I had taught her the alphabet, her numbers, and how to add, subtract, multiply and division.

‘I saw that she loved patterns so developed a way of using that to teach her new things. I thought I would try her with algebra, and she loved it more than anything.’
Esther stunned her parents last year when she achieved a B grade in her pure maths A-level.
She applied to the Open University last August - and after a phone interview, an essay and an exam, she was told in December that she had been accepted onto the course.
Her father Paul, 42, a managing director, added: ‘I cannot tell you how happy and proud I am as a father. The desire of every parent is to see their children exceed them, and take the family name to great heights, and my children have done just that.’

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2965362/Is-Britain-s-cleverest-girl-Ten-year-old-accepted-university-course-study-maths-degree-despite-not-going-school.html?ITO=1490&ns_mchannel=rss&ns_campaign=1490

1 Share

Re: 10yr Old Nigerian Girl Accepted On University Course In The UK To Study Maths by Cutehector(m): 11:18pm On Feb 23, 2015
Chai. Wen I dey ten years old, I stil dey primary school. Nigeria can kill sombody eh.

1 Like

Re: 10yr Old Nigerian Girl Accepted On University Course In The UK To Study Maths by bauer00: 11:34pm On Feb 23, 2015
Cutehector:
Chai. Wen I dey ten years old, I stil dey primary school. Nigeria can kill sombody eh.
eh eh...Have u forgotten u couldnt even recite d alphabets den
Re: 10yr Old Nigerian Girl Accepted On University Course In The UK To Study Maths by deife(m): 11:35pm On Feb 23, 2015
For real?
Re: 10yr Old Nigerian Girl Accepted On University Course In The UK To Study Maths by Uchan4u(m): 11:36pm On Feb 23, 2015
To study in Nigeria is very difficult...the dumbest student in Nigeria, if given the opportunity to study abroad would become a first class material. The environment is not friendly at all over here.
If this child were to be trained here in Nigeria, she would still be in Primary 5 at her age

1 Like

Re: 10yr Old Nigerian Girl Accepted On University Course In The UK To Study Maths by Cutehector(m): 11:38pm On Feb 23, 2015
bauer00:

eh eh...Have u forgotten u couldnt even recite d alphabets den
lol see u. Bak den I could recite mary had a little lamb grin
Re: 10yr Old Nigerian Girl Accepted On University Course In The UK To Study Maths by Cutehector(m): 11:40pm On Feb 23, 2015
Uchan4u:
To study in Nigeria is very difficult...the dumbest student in Nigeria, if given the opportunity to study abroad would become a first class material. The environment is not friendly at all over here.
If this child were to be trained here in Nigeria, she would still be in Primary 5 at her age
yea ur ryt. Nigerian educational system been fustratin us since kembe. Do u even knw dat in d u.k, a five year engineerin course in nigeria, ova dr is sheduled for just 3 years
Re: 10yr Old Nigerian Girl Accepted On University Course In The UK To Study Maths by Hanibal(m): 11:41pm On Feb 23, 2015
Hw much is this land?
i wan sleep first
Re: 10yr Old Nigerian Girl Accepted On University Course In The UK To Study Maths by oluwadanie1(m): 11:42pm On Feb 23, 2015
lemme wake up 1st
Re: 10yr Old Nigerian Girl Accepted On University Course In The UK To Study Maths by dre11(m): 11:55pm On Feb 23, 2015
10years old......
What will she be discussing with the old men/women when they resume for school

That's a genius there....
She just put her family name on the rock where it can't be wiped out
Re: 10yr Old Nigerian Girl Accepted On University Course In The UK To Study Maths by Twaci(f): 11:59pm On Feb 23, 2015
I don't like this. She needs to grow up like a normal child.....not fastforwarded into an adult life, maths genius or not.

1 Like

Re: 10yr Old Nigerian Girl Accepted On University Course In The UK To Study Maths by Bosville(m): 12:16am On Feb 24, 2015
Just imagine!!!....naija is blessed with geniuses but our government ain't helping matters at all. na to steal oil money nd embark on useless project dem sabi.
Re: 10yr Old Nigerian Girl Accepted On University Course In The UK To Study Maths by Nobody: 12:20am On Feb 24, 2015
undecided that's nice oo, until age catches up with her and she realises how much she missed out on childhood
Re: 10yr Old Nigerian Girl Accepted On University Course In The UK To Study Maths by Nobody: 1:05am On Feb 24, 2015
these people should leave our small girls alone oh! instead of good morals, the girls will get back home naeked.
Re: 10yr Old Nigerian Girl Accepted On University Course In The UK To Study Maths by MisterLongman(m): 1:32am On Feb 24, 2015
Cutehector:
[color=#0000]That time I still dey recite
Two times one......... Two
Two. Times two........ Four........
But its too early whether she's brilliant or not, there is time for everything
[/color]

1 Like

Re: 10yr Old Nigerian Girl Accepted On University Course In The UK To Study Maths by Cutehector(m): 5:48am On Feb 24, 2015
MisterLongman:

[color=#0000]That time I still dey recite
Two times one......... Two
Two. Times two........ Four........
But its too early whether she's brilliant or not, there is time for everything
[/color]
chaiiiIii grin grin u try. Buh u do knw dat thr are more cases just d same as hers. D world"s youngest professor was at d time of her conferment just 19 yrs old. Nw imajin d age wen she had a doctorate degree, bsc degree and wen she graduated from hige school
Re: 10yr Old Nigerian Girl Accepted On University Course In The UK To Study Maths by Islie: 7:28am On Feb 24, 2015
shadowgwalker:
these people should leave our small girls alone oh! instead of good morals, the girls will get back home naeked.

undecided
Naked in what sense

You can tell her mum to leave her alone then
Re: 10yr Old Nigerian Girl Accepted On University Course In The UK To Study Maths by Ashleyma77(m): 8:13am On Feb 24, 2015
that's cute.she shouldn't be complacent though.it's one thing to enter,its another to come out with flying colours.God bless her.lesson for the young.
Re: 10yr Old Nigerian Girl Accepted On University Course In The UK To Study Maths by Nobody: 9:52am On Feb 24, 2015
Islie:

undecided
Naked in what sense

You can tell her mum to leave her alone then
you don't go to the West coast and come back the same. it's either you get physically undressed or mentally undressed, and to you it will be a normal thing.

(1) (Reply)

2015/2016 Kano State University Of Technology Wudil POST UTME FORM.... / FACTORS THAT ENHANCE OPTIMUM HEALTH. A Term Paper. / Nairalanders Question Of The Day:- Who Can Solve This? What + What + What = 30?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 22
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.