Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,756 members, 7,809,906 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 04:58 PM

Engineers In The House, Let's Discuss. - Career - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / Engineers In The House, Let's Discuss. (3075 Views)

How Much S The Startin Salary For Telecommunication Engineers In Nigeria Telecom / The 10 Most Inspirational Female Engineers In Nigeria / The 10 Most Inspirational Female Engineers In The World (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Engineers In The House, Let's Discuss. by VolunteerEngr(m): 7:59am On Feb 24, 2015
God day fellow engineers
This piece is developed to sensitize us engineering and technology graduates and undergraduates, of an awry trend that needs serious revolution.
In every developed economy all over the world, engineering and technology play a predominant and pivotal role in their developmental process. It would then not be totally wrong to say that no real development would happen in a country in the absence of robust development of the engineering and technology.
The only reason our nation, Nigeria, is still a heavily consuming and importing economy today is because our engineering and technology has remained undeveloped.
It is a known fact that many of the products and gadgets we spend a lot of money scrambling to buy in Nigeria were little projects undertaken by some white kids which were later developed on a commercial scale.
I have seen documentaries and read articles about some amazing machines and other products of engineering design that were conceived and created by individuals in some countries in the west, So why not Nigeria?
Year in year out in our higher institutions of learning, we have a huge number of students graduating from the various engineering disciplines yet the country has no real development in engineering and technology over these years.
I think a major reason why we are still in this state is largely due to the fact that over the years no government has made any frantic effort towards developing our engineering and technology hence, the ever present gap between theoretical and practical engineering; I might not be totally correct, but to an extent it is true.
If we must get out of this position as a nation then, some of us who think we can’t continue like this must take this up as a challenge and see it as our own civic duty and modest contribution in developing our dear nation.
I strongly believe Nigeria constitute a good fraction of the best brains around the world hence, the call for this revolution.
Therefore, I would like young Nigerian engineers, in all fields, who share the same passion and thought, and believe this is achievable to join me in this cause; to discuss what we can do in our own little way to reverse the situation. We can conceptualize and develop little projects, designs, machines and so on then grow bigger from there. I believe we have brilliant brains, so we can achieve this whatsoever we can dream in our minds if we jointly believe and stay focus.
I am bringing this up as a crude idea having thought passionately about the current state of our nation and where I believe we should be technologically, so it is open to contributions, suggestions and refinements.
If you share the same passion with me then, let’s discuss.

Best Regards,
Volunteer Engineer
Re: Engineers In The House, Let's Discuss. by Nobody: 6:25pm On Feb 24, 2015
This country needs the divine help of God, no sector seems to be working, I plan on doing my masters in Bio-Engineering or Material Science, but I am yet to see a material testing laboratory in lagos the most professional state in Nigeria, now Jonathan has been commissioning Power Plants that has all of its infrastructure imported, still no light, minister of power-Professor Nebo said there's gas outage in a country that has been flaring gas before I was born, the situation is like building a bore hole and not using it becos there's no water.
I weep for Nigeria, I am a young passionate nigerian but OP lemme not deceive u, I have made up my mind to leave this country, after NYSC last year I was stil passionate but with the job am doing now, I've been enlightened to see that we are so backward, if pple like Jelani Aliyu left the shores of Nigeria and went on to become the lead automobile designer of the chevrolet volt, who am I? to say I want to do service to fatherland that has never served me...My 20 cents
Re: Engineers In The House, Let's Discuss. by stynhaq(m): 1:52pm On Feb 25, 2015
OpYzo:
This country needs the divine help of God, no sector seems to be working, I plan on doing my masters in Bio-Engineering or Material Science, but I am yet to see a material testing laboratory in lagos the most professional state in Nigeria, now Jonathan has been commissioning Power Plants that has all of its infrastructure imported, still no light, minister of power-Professor Nebo said there's gas outage in a country that has been flaring gas before I was born, the situation is like building a bore hole and not using it becos there's no water.
I weep for Nigeria, I am a young passionate nigerian but OP lemme not deceive u, I have made up my mind to leave this country, after NYSC last year I was stil passionate but with the job am doing now, I've been enlightened to see that we are so backward, if pple like Jelani Aliyu left the shores of Nigeria and went on to become the lead automobile designer of the chevrolet volt, who am I? to say I want to do service to fatherland that has never served me...My 20 cents

There's a material testing lab by Lagos State Public Works Corporation at Ojodu Berger.
Re: Engineers In The House, Let's Discuss. by VolunteerEngr(m): 10:43pm On Feb 25, 2015
@ OpYzo
To be honest with you I can feel your pain. It is really painful and frustrating when you think about all that is happening in the country despite the abundance of resources and potential at our disposal. It really can upset you and make you go crazy
But the truth of the matter is we can not continue like this. We all can not say once things are not working the way we expect them to be then, the next thing is to travel abroad. Traveling abroad to develop oneself Is a good idea but how will our nation develop if we keep living with this mentality? I also used to be a fan of traveling abroad but at a point when I thought about one thing that, these countries we are running to helped themselves to achieve their development, then I said to myself nobody would help us except we ourselves.
Those people will always be ready to have you because you will help them develop their land while your own country will continue to live at their mercy.
Just like I posted, some of us that are really passionate about this problem and really think there has to be a revolution should learn not to live with the mentality of going abroad at all cost rather, we should take it upon ourselves as a challenge that needs to be faced. We should begin to see it as a problem for all and start to do our very little to have the kind of change we want.
The fact is, It is not going to be a cake walk but every little step in the right direction sure will make a big difference and I will still tell you this can work if we are determined to make it work.
As with the test lab you mentioned, if you had posted this on the forum you probably would have got some help. I think there are a few you can use around, just like the Lagos state public works that someone mentioned you can do material testing at UNILAG too.
Let's make this work

Best Regards
Volunteer Engineer.
Re: Engineers In The House, Let's Discuss. by baba11(m): 8:09pm On Feb 28, 2015
I don't think our solutions lie in travelling abroad

I believe we engineers need to start from ourselves - humble beginning

Mind you,Rome was not built in a day

We can achieve great feat by expanding our minds beyond what we were thought in school.

I as a case study,when I began my job,the pay home
Packages was nothing to write home about but with perseverance, hardwork, determination etc I'm getting there.

Also,we need to be creative and think outside the box

Passion drives whatever we are doing

I remember a work I did recently, I was on the work from morning till night without eating

I believe we have future and we must not put everything at the doorsteps of government.GOVERNMENT alone can't do it

God bless Nigeria!!!!
Re: Engineers In The House, Let's Discuss. by KELVIN086: 1:25pm On Mar 01, 2015
The problem is that nigeria as a country does not support anything science and technology, the only thing the government is concerned about is politics and oil, i studied elect engrn and am currently serving and i have made up my mind to leave this country immediately i finish my service because nigeria is not a place for engineers nor scientists. Science and technology made the USA what it is today that is why they are not being affected by the fall in oil price. Even NSE and COREN are not concerned about the development of engineering in nigeria all they are concerned abount is your yearly registration fees. They are alot of stories and points i would have love to give but no time.
Re: Engineers In The House, Let's Discuss. by Nobody: 3:19pm On Mar 01, 2015
Good day my fellow engineers.Please I want us to go into production. Solar freezer that uses only DC current.12v or 24v preferably. I'm into renewable energy system. We can make it big with joint effort.The freezer is urgently needed in our society
Regards
Engr Francis.N
MD City Solar Ltd
Re: Engineers In The House, Let's Discuss. by baba11(m): 3:45pm On Mar 01, 2015
infocitysolar:
Good day my fellow engineers.Please I want us to go into production. Solar freezer that uses only DC current.12v or 24v preferably. I'm into renewable energy system. We can make it big with joint effort.The freezer is urgently needed in our society
Regards
Engr Francis.N
MD City Solar Ltd
If you don't mind, I can be part of this!
Re: Engineers In The House, Let's Discuss. by Nobody: 5:09pm On Mar 01, 2015
You more than welcome.I need a DC compressor. How do we go about it.Thats is the main ingredient to this system
Re: Engineers In The House, Let's Discuss. by VolunteerEngr(m): 7:34pm On Mar 01, 2015
infocitysolar:
Regards
Engr Francis.N
MD City Solar Ltd

You are just on point engineer! That is the kind of thing I'm talking about.
The moment we start believing in ourselves then nothing will be difficult for us to achieve. I want us to start looking inwards, taking advantage of our very peculiarities and allow peculiar circumstances to be the stimulus for our creativity.
I will be getting in touch with you my mail is on my profile
Whoever is interested can also join us, that is the essence of the thread.

Kindest Regards
Volunteer Engineer
Re: Engineers In The House, Let's Discuss. by Nobody: 8:13pm On Mar 01, 2015
Thanks Engr.Gods will.We shall win
Re: Engineers In The House, Let's Discuss. by cyprel(m): 9:00pm On Mar 01, 2015
our higher institutions of learning and government is the main root of these problems
Re: Engineers In The House, Let's Discuss. by baba11(m): 10:02pm On Mar 01, 2015
Should we create group on this?
Re: Engineers In The House, Let's Discuss. by Nobody: 10:06pm On Mar 01, 2015
Yes.That we be great
Re: Engineers In The House, Let's Discuss. by Greatken007(m): 8:00am On Mar 03, 2015
whatapp group i guess wit a maximum number of persons, and probably pay a fine of 1k to join....or even N500... It is commitment fee that keeps like minds together for long...I love working wit commited people....Solar freezer is a good line of thought...The country is in need of Indigenous innovation.... More of local content...therefore we should carefully look at its operational cost, Design cost,functional design...Best refrigerant suitable for such,condenser... Compressor, evaporator...d valves.....We can also look at ways to apply software engineering in our concept...publishing journal articles and presenting papers... Nigerians are good but our environment is d problem.... I see opportunities daily but need more heads and hands

1 Like

Re: Engineers In The House, Let's Discuss. by engrtee(f): 10:46am On Mar 03, 2015
Someone said all automobile engineers are quacks as long as they is no automobile plant in nigeria.

Another claimed he spent 5years in school as automobile engeneer without using a spanner .
How do i expect him to repair a car.

During automobile practical, dead car spare parts were used. Students draw and labelled the part.assignment; explain its principle of operation.
Result; our engineers are just autocad experts

change should start from classroom

1 Like

Re: Engineers In The House, Let's Discuss. by Nobody: 7:31pm On Mar 03, 2015
I believe this is a good start.Let's contribute collectively on this venture and see where the wind travel us to
Re: Engineers In The House, Let's Discuss. by VolunteerEngr(m): 3:19am On Mar 04, 2015
Thanks everyone for your contributions and giving life to this dream.
@Greatken007
That's a wonderful contribution. I share the notion of having a whatsapp group however, I wouldn't want us to start with any levy whatsoever. The aim is to get committed minds together to create something we believe in. We should not bring in money issue for now even though our projects will invariably involve some spending
I still believe there's the need to know ourselves, get to meet one another, our skills and competencies, how best we can work together because this initiative in meant to bring about a revolution that we've all craved for and for the greater good of our nation. Just like I said it is still a crude idea that needs to be refined and well articulated then we can integrate our ideas, decide on what to do, how to go about it, then we can launch out for good.
Let's not rush into doing things so the idea won't get truncated prematurely out of not having a good understanding of the real essence of it.
Thanks for your contributions. Let's keep them coming

Best Regards
Volunteer Engineer

1 Like

Re: Engineers In The House, Let's Discuss. by Nobody: 7:58am On Mar 04, 2015
Signing in...
Re: Engineers In The House, Let's Discuss. by Greatken007(m): 11:13am On Mar 04, 2015
Noted.... Only learnt that from history...
Re: Engineers In The House, Let's Discuss. by baba11(m): 9:28am On Mar 06, 2015
VolunteerEngr:
Thanks everyone for your contributions and giving life to this dream.
@Greatken007
That's a wonderful contribution. I share the notion of having a whatsapp group however, I wouldn't want us to start with any levy whatsoever. The aim is to get committed minds together to create something we believe in. We should not bring in money issue for now even though our projects will invariably involve some spending
I still believe there's the need to know ourselves, get to meet one another, our skills and competencies, how best we can work together because this initiative in meant to bring about a revolution that we've all craved for and for the greater good of our nation. Just like I said it is still a crude idea that needs to be refined and well articulated then we can integrate our ideas, decide on what to do, how to go about it, then we can launch out for good.
Let's not rush into doing things so the idea won't get truncated prematurely out of not having a good understanding of the real essence of it.
Thanks for your contributions. Let's keep them coming

Best Regards
Volunteer Engineer

I concur totally....
Re: Engineers In The House, Let's Discuss. by Greatken007(m): 4:48pm On Mar 06, 2015
the pace is slow...
Re: Engineers In The House, Let's Discuss. by samoht(m): 11:11pm On Mar 06, 2015
Good to Have like minds thinking out of the box...But First and foremost,let me say this ..::Let Passion Drive you Not the Bills::..
This is the key to doing great exploits without even knowing, A major problem here in my beloved country is we worry about what we will eat and how we gonna live resulting to trading time, blood and energy for the money, this off course has set the pace for an atmosphere of an unending desire for money to the extent that our brilliant and genius nature fuels the engines of scamming and deception all for the bills, An energy that should be channeled towards great passions and societal development,. #Breaks my heart i must say,.
All this will change when we as Individuals, and as a Government come to Realize that we have so ridiculed science and Technology,Upon which nations even before us has built if not everlasting breakthroughs through passionate and dedicated pioneers, we have remained where we are in the world today because we have shown the world that we are just dumb assess with some money to spend, Just get the latest tech ready and we are ready to buy and enjoy them, yes we are total consumers, even our so called Government would raise a placard bearing this! what a shame... In a nutshell what am saying is our problem in Nigeria is We are not really driven by our passion and its affecting us in technological application and advancement... cry
Re: Engineers In The House, Let's Discuss. by VolunteerEngr(m): 4:12pm On Mar 07, 2015
@GreatKen007
Yes, the pace might be slow but believe men it is Bette not to start at all than to rush in only to head for the rock in a short while down the line
Believe me, like Samoht rightly pointed out, a lot of the people are not driven by passion to make a revolution but rather by the sole fact that they believe they have a chance of making some money from this venture. Rushing will only blurr our sense of objectively sorting this kind of people and invariably crashing the initiative and we don't want this to happen.
Making history involves taking painstaking steps, commitment and sacrifices towards achieving a vision you believe in. So let's have more commited guys and we can move from there.
Please keep the contributions coming.

Best Regards
Volunteer Engineer
Re: Engineers In The House, Let's Discuss. by Greatken007(m): 5:18am On Mar 11, 2015
I still believe Whatapp group is d only option to sustain this forum...Success rate is dying day by day
Re: Engineers In The House, Let's Discuss. by drtwist(m): 8:34am On Mar 11, 2015
Let me book my building Engr space. One love from we are getting there soon.
Re: Engineers In The House, Let's Discuss. by horlatech: 11:43am On Mar 11, 2015
Engn'r Baba,
For those who av passion in engineering but not aving any supporting aids,what do u av to say abt that?
As for u, u still av job that u're doing and assistance which make it easier for u to practice.
I think we encouragement from the govt/priate sector/individual.n
Re: Engineers In The House, Let's Discuss. by horlatech: 11:49am On Mar 11, 2015
Engn'r Francis,
We already have that-constructed and tested.
My colleague did d mobile solar panel refrigerator (confirmed).

Horlatech.

1 Like

Re: Engineers In The House, Let's Discuss. by Nobody: 4:22pm On Mar 11, 2015
I'm happy to hear this.Please can I have ur mobile
Re: Engineers In The House, Let's Discuss. by Greatken007(m): 5:46pm On Mar 18, 2015
This Forum is going extinct by d day ... Has d aim been achieved ? People aren't interested,
Re: Engineers In The House, Let's Discuss. by baba11(m): 7:08pm On Mar 19, 2015
Where are my fellows?
Re: Engineers In The House, Let's Discuss. by dave07(m): 10:28pm On Mar 19, 2015
Great challenge, good initiatives. Less talk and more action like this is needed
Every other thing about the DC freezer can be locally sourced except the DC compressor. Some Chinese company bringing in the freezer deliberately removed any name plate info that can link you with the DC compressor manufacturer.
Secondly can we begin to challenge engineering technicians to start getting interested in locally built inverters and also improve on the designs. More than 80% of people involved in renewable technologies such as solar power alternatives and the likes are non-Engineering graduates.

1 Like

(1) (2) (Reply)

Standard Chartered Gallup Personality Test - Urgent / National Power Sector Apprentice Scheme / ACCA Past Papers Questions - Free Download

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 57
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.