Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,170 members, 7,821,966 topics. Date: Wednesday, 08 May 2024 at 10:58 PM

Looters Who Run Away - What Should Be Done? - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Looters Who Run Away - What Should Be Done? (1003 Views)

'Grant Presidential Pardon To Looters Who Return Stolen Funds'- Melaye To Buhari / Recovered Loot: Why FG Did Not Name Looters —presidency / Don't Run Away To East Gov Yero Of Kaduna State Appeals To Ndigbo (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Looters Who Run Away - What Should Be Done? by egift(m): 3:27pm On Feb 24, 2015
As Nigerians prepare for the incoming administration when Buhari is likely to preside over the affairs of Nigeria, I will like us to review a very critical aspect on Buhari's Presidency - The Fight Against Corruption:

Question:
If a Nigerian politician or citizen who has stolen a very large amount of money for Nigeria, run away from Nigeria and live elsewhere, what do you think the Government should do?

Options:
a. Explore only all the Diplomatic Channels. If they send him back good, if not forget it.

b. If the first option fail, keep the case open till he mistakenly steps into Nigeria.

c. Declare a Plea-bargain deal to all looters, if you return 50% of whatever you stole, you will be forgiven - else the person will be punished to the full extent of the law (no matter how long or what it takes).

d. Any Politician who stole and run away should simply be declared wanted, with a specific amount tagged on him for anyone who will deliver him alive to the nearest Police Station. (Nigerians can now handle the rest and make cool cash).

e. None of the above. ADD YOURS.

NB: Reference to failed Umaru Dikko's experience and we try to avoid such backlash again.

Egift

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Looters Who Run Away - What Should Be Done? by NWANICHODE: 3:39pm On Feb 24, 2015
FFK
Re: Looters Who Run Away - What Should Be Done? by PentiumPro(f): 3:41pm On Feb 24, 2015
they should be crated down to Nigeria grin

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Looters Who Run Away - What Should Be Done? by pendy79: 3:47pm On Feb 24, 2015
There will be revelations and lot of hidden loot kept in foreign banks will be brought to the notice of the Nigerian Government when GEJ is swept away by May.

The HSBC tax evasion scheme for rich clients is causing huge crisis here in the UK and the PM is really at a lost on how to quell the fallout as it is now dominating the political discuss as we approach the election. Imagine just for tax evasion and yet parliament and the public are pissed off, imagine the way people are held responsible for all their actions even when they were not in office at that time.

Imagine a minister operating a N10billion lease for her private jet usage and sane citizenry of the country are shouting CONTINUITY.

Imagine a sitting President allocating and claiming almost 90hectares of prime land for himself just after 7months in office in clear breach of pLanning and demography of the area. Nigeria and FCTDA spent billions on AGIS during El-Rufai's reign and now the President of the Country is going against rules and laws he swore to protect and HE VOW TO DO MORE yet some brainless morons are saying he is the best when by now he ought to be impeached for criminality and abuse of office. Nigeria is a peculiar case I swear.

I prefer repatriation of all stolen and discovered loot just like Abacha's loot were returned. Every single kobo of it and the culprit brought to justice.

7 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Looters Who Run Away - What Should Be Done? by OKDnigeria: 3:57pm On Feb 24, 2015
Don't worry, Buhari will never be president.

Re: Looters Who Run Away - What Should Be Done? by PointB: 4:08pm On Feb 24, 2015
@Op,

The first thing that needs to be done in a democracy is to 'prove beyond every reasonable doubt' that the individual in question 'stole'. Subsequently let the law take it course. I believe the laws of the land has penalty for various crimes. Once the court gives a guilty verdict, it will be incompetence of highest magnitude to allow such fellow abscond from justice.

That is how it is done in mature democracy!

3 Likes

Re: Looters Who Run Away - What Should Be Done? by nzeadachie: 4:09pm On Feb 24, 2015
PRAY FOR BUHARI TO GET WELL SOON, MUGU INSTEAD OF TAKING THIS TIME YOU'RE WASTING HERE TO PRAY FOR THE MAN YOU USE TO TALK RUBBISH HERE, SO YOU THINK THAT BUHARI WILL RULE NIGERIA?
Re: Looters Who Run Away - What Should Be Done? by egift(m): 4:28pm On Feb 24, 2015
PointB:
@Op,

The first thing that needs to be done in a democracy is to 'prove beyond every reasonable doubt' that the individual in question 'stole'. Subsequently let the law take it course. I believe the laws of the land has penalty for various crimes. Once the court gives a guilty verdict, it will be incompetence of highest magnitude to allow such fellow abscond from justice.

That is how it is done in mature democracy!

@BOLD: Sure. But this is for Looters who may have escape before they were implicated to have massively looted the treasury. How do we go about recovering the funds and getting them to appear for trial.

NB: Reference to failed Umaru Dikko's experience and we try to avoid such backlash again.

1 Like

Re: Looters Who Run Away - What Should Be Done? by PassingShot(m): 4:35pm On Feb 24, 2015
Any option that will not only guarantee that the stolen money is retrieved from the culprit but also ensure that the guilty is punished according to the laws of the land is my preference.

Plea bargaining should not even be an option in the fight against corruption. It gives some confidence to the corrupt minded to perpetuate in their looting knowing that the worst that can happen is to return part of their stolen loots while they keep the rest. To them it's a win-win situation and that does not send the strong message to deter otgers.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Looters Who Run Away - What Should Be Done? by victorD3: 4:38pm On Feb 24, 2015
Nobody is runing away except disgraced Buhari come March 28th
Re: Looters Who Run Away - What Should Be Done? by PointB: 5:15pm On Feb 24, 2015
egift:

@BOLD: Sure. But this is for Looters who may have escape before they were implicated to have massively looted the treasury. How do we go about recovering the funds and getting them to appear for trial.

Lol,
So you want to avoid botched Umaru Dikko's kidnap attempt? I thought you lots loved him for that. Let's assume you avoid the Umaru Dikko debacle,

How about the cancelled Metro Line project?
How about repression of media freedom?
How about the extra-judicial murder of Nkem Owoh, Ogendegbe etc?
How about others he unfairly put in prison, among others?

How do you avoid those? The simple answer is NO TO BUHARI!!
Re: Looters Who Run Away - What Should Be Done? by themilanway(m): 5:29pm On Feb 24, 2015
I will go with option C,but i wont advice it should be 50-50......maybe 70-30.......

We need to move forward as soon as possible,alot of repair works needs to be done.

Too much damage has been made by the incumbent govt

2 Likes

Re: Looters Who Run Away - What Should Be Done? by Rawani: 11:36am On Feb 25, 2015
Option C - Return 50% plus 3 months unpaid community service in their LGA.

Otherwise, option E would apply - where all his assets in Nigeria are liquidated and proceeds ploughed back, he is declared wanted by Interpol, and wait for them to mistakenly step into the country.

General Buhari can easily enforce this.

4 Likes

Re: Looters Who Run Away - What Should Be Done? by egift(m): 8:31am On Feb 26, 2015
themilanway:
I will go with option C,but i wont advice it should be 50-50......maybe 70-30.......

We need to move forward as soon as possible,alot of repair works needs to be done.

Too much damage has been made by the incumbent govt

@Bold:
That will be a good amendment too.

1 Like

Re: Looters Who Run Away - What Should Be Done? by thegoodjoehunt3(m): 9:23am On Feb 26, 2015
PointB:

Lol,
So you want to avoid botched Umaru Dikko's kidnap attempt? I thought you lots loved him for that. Let's assume you avoid the Umaru Dikko debacle,

The MetroLine project was used as an avenue to loot money. How someone like you can not be comfortable in a President stopping projects to save the country millions of wasted funds beats my imagination.

2 Likes

Re: Looters Who Run Away - What Should Be Done? by theSpark(m): 9:33am On Feb 26, 2015
Extradite them.

2 Likes

Re: Looters Who Run Away - What Should Be Done? by Canme4u(m): 9:42am On Feb 26, 2015
Team #ShipTHEMallBACK2naijaINcage

in the cases where the above is not possible, I'll subscribe to option D

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Looters Who Run Away - What Should Be Done? by CyberWolf: 9:45am On Feb 26, 2015
Try and win the election first na grin grin..nawa oo
Re: Looters Who Run Away - What Should Be Done? by vedaxcool(m): 9:48am On Feb 26, 2015
But a Bounty on their heads and let bounty haunters do the rest!

1 Like

Re: Looters Who Run Away - What Should Be Done? by Canme4u(m): 9:56am On Feb 26, 2015
PointB:

Lol,

How about you first give responds to his question before you started trolling?

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Looters Who Run Away - What Should Be Done? by egift(m): 10:01am On Feb 26, 2015
vedaxcool:
Put a Bounty on their heads and let bounty haunters do the rest!

That will be cool. You will see the speed Politicians will be reporting themselves a the nearest Police Stations to make sure they resolve their cases or else get declared wanted. The FG will recover a lot of funds that can go into development immediately.

Mods Fontpage let get more opinions: Afam4eva, OAM4J, Ikenna351, maclatunji, lalasticlala - Cheers!

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Looters Who Run Away - What Should Be Done? by tck2000(m): 6:19pm On Aug 01, 2019
Hm

(1) (Reply)

Read: What Femi Fani-kayode Said About President Goodluck Jonathan / Pdp Sharing Rice And Cloth At Iyana Ipaja, Oja Ile Epo In Lagos Today Picture / Bachelor Certificate

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 45
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.