Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,145 members, 7,818,434 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 03:44 PM

Reasons Why Toyota Cars Dominate In Nigeria - Car Talk - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / Reasons Why Toyota Cars Dominate In Nigeria (46029 Views)

I Thought i've Seen All Toyota Cars...this One Caught Me Off Guard / New Price List Of Toyota Cars In Nigeria ( Caution: Better Sit Before You Read) / Buy These Two Toyota Cars For N2.3million Am Relocating To Usa.. Urgent (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Reasons Why Toyota Cars Dominate In Nigeria by milestonejnr(m): 10:37pm On Feb 24, 2015
I observed that out of every five cars you see on Nigerian road, at least one is a Toyota product. Ever wondered why Toyota models account for the highest number of vehicles on Nigerian roads?
Have you ever wondered why almost all the mass transit that ply long distances use this particular brand.

Have you also reasoned why Toyota camry that has been in existence since the late nineties just like camry 1996 model still ply Nigerian roads.
Have you also asked yourself why banks, insurance, schools etc go for Toyota. I think they all know the secret behind this brand.

Below are the reasons why Toyota dominates in Nigeria

REASONS FOR TOYOTA'S DOMINANCE

1. Their products are easy to maintain and repair. It cost little or nothing to maintain. Apart from the regular service, you hardly spend to keep it running on the road.

2. Availability of spare parts. You can easily get their parts even if you want to change the entire engine, it is readily available and affordable than other brands.

3. Toyota have many varieties. They have dominated in every type of car which include sports utility vehicles (SUV), buses, pickups, sedan, mini-buses etc... I haven't seen their heavy duty vehicle though. It also comes in various trim depending on your taste.

4. Their cars can easily be resold even after some years of using it. Toyota can be sold six times as fast as any other brand.

5. Their technology is less complex and simple to handle

6. You can easily buy their new and used cars (otherwise known as Tokunbos)

7. Their cars have good mileage

8. Here in Nigeria, it is most peoples favorite.

9.They have durable engines.

10. They came to Nigeria on time.

I don't think you can easily leave Toyota when you get used to the brand.

SOURCE: http://emekaani..com/2015/02/reasons-why-toyota-cars-dominate-in.html

21 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Reasons Why Toyota Cars Dominate In Nigeria by sammynash11(m): 10:40pm On Feb 24, 2015
Toyota all d way cool. Nothing special about FTC. Its overrated undecided

16 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Reasons Why Toyota Cars Dominate In Nigeria by ubiquitousade(m): 11:39pm On Feb 24, 2015
milestonejnr:
I observed that out of every five cars you see on Nigerian road, at least one is a Toyota product. Ever wondered why Toyota models account for the highest number of vehicles on Nigerian roads?
Have you ever wondered why almost all the mass transit that ply long distances use this particular brand.

Have you also reasoned why Toyota camry that has been in existence since the late nineties just like camry 1996 model still ply Nigerian roads.
Have you also asked yourself why banks, insurance, schools etc go for Toyota. I think they all know the secret behind this brand.

1. Their products are easy to maintain and repair. It cost little or nothing to maintain. Apart from the regular service, you hardly spend to keep it running on the road.

2. Availability of spare parts. You can easily get their parts even if you want to change the entire engine, it is readily available and affordable than other brands.

3. Toyota have many varieties. They have dominated in every type of car which include sports utility vehicles (SUV), buses, pickups, sedan, mini-buses etc... I haven't seen their heavy duty vehicle though. It also comes in various trim depending on your taste.

4. Their cars can easily be resold even after some years of using it. Toyota can be sold six times as fast as any other brand.

Re: Reasons Why Toyota Cars Dominate In Nigeria by ubiquitousade(m): 11:40pm On Feb 24, 2015
milestonejnr:

Your opinion.

21 Likes

Re: Reasons Why Toyota Cars Dominate In Nigeria by Nobody: 9:00am On Feb 25, 2015
OP, i hate to disagree with you though i currently own a Toyota.
We dont have much of ASE qualified mechanics and technicians. Most of our mechanics are not up to date with current trends in automobile industry. To avoid stress with cost of maintaining a car, most Nigerian car owners have Toyota as their only choice.

31 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Reasons Why Toyota Cars Dominate In Nigeria by abatically(m): 9:28am On Feb 25, 2015
Toyota doesn't only sell in Nigeria, they also sell very well in north America even though north Americans have their indigenous car manufacturers. Other than the reasons the op mentioned, below are also some of the reason.

1. Most cars in Nigeria are imported from north America, Toyota products sell very well in north America so it is very normal that dealers import more of Toyota than any other brands.

2. We do not have a solid indigenous car manufacturer so we need to source from abroad. The USA is still the biggest auto market in the world and since they love Toyota, it is normal dealers import more of Toyota.

8 Likes

Re: Reasons Why Toyota Cars Dominate In Nigeria by Nobody: 9:40am On Feb 25, 2015
The only reason that comes to mind is, it's easy to maintain. Via availability of parts, fuel economy etc.

Yea, I heard it has a good scrap value too.

I like/hate them because they are "sexy"....they gat plenty ukwu and opollo eyes.

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: Reasons Why Toyota Cars Dominate In Nigeria by ogawisdom(m): 11:31am On Feb 25, 2015
Op u forgot d main reasons
11. Our mechanics even d most useless of them can handle toyota faults n toyota brands can withstand abuse by our technicians n even gross neglect by d owner. Toyota dnt insist on factory specs n recommendations to run, infact they gladly accept wat we ve in naija n still run well grin engine oil, atf etc

12. Their second hand value is incredible infact toyota is made to last forever.

13. Toyota makes d most durable automatic transmission system in d automobile industry so if u r a fan of auto gear toyota is for u.
Buy anytin badged toyota n u won't go wrong.

14. Toyota was made with nigeria in mind tongue

29 Likes

Re: Reasons Why Toyota Cars Dominate In Nigeria by chucky234(m): 1:32pm On Feb 25, 2015
Tired of people mentioning "Toyota" everywhere, I just cant stand it anymore.
Imagine crappy Tinylight still sells for $4000 in Nigeria because of people over-hyping the damn scrap, get yourself a good car and enjoy your driving experience.

23 Likes 1 Share

Re: Reasons Why Toyota Cars Dominate In Nigeria by abatically(m): 1:49pm On Feb 25, 2015
chucky234:
Tired of people mentioning "Toyota" everywhere, can stand it anymore.
Imagine crappy Tinylight still sells for $4000 in Nigeria because of people over-hyping the damn scrap, get yourself a good car and enjoy your driving experience.

Can a car dealer sell a car below his cost price? Go online see how much a tiny light costs, add shipping, clearing and interest. It is more than people overyhyping it bro, yes the car is bland, boring and soulless, but it is not cheap even in the US where most of them are imported from.

4 Likes

Re: Reasons Why Toyota Cars Dominate In Nigeria by nurey(m): 3:33pm On Feb 25, 2015
chucky234:
Tired of people mentioning "Toyota" everywhere, can stand it anymore.

Seriously its because of reliability as much as I will try any other brand we must still have it in mind that toyota has always had top notch reliability, even with engine fault, they will still drive. Its only the naija used and abused that are cheap

3 Likes

Re: Reasons Why Toyota Cars Dominate In Nigeria by dechandel(f): 4:38pm On Feb 25, 2015
You just gotta love Toyota vehicles..

Cause every mechanic in Nigeria can fix it undecided grin

3 Likes

Re: Reasons Why Toyota Cars Dominate In Nigeria by hensben(m): 4:49pm On Feb 25, 2015
dechandel:
You just gotta love Toyota vehicles..

Cause every mechanic in Nigeria can fix it undecided grin
You make sense but why laugh or are you been tickle over there tongue

1 Like

Re: Reasons Why Toyota Cars Dominate In Nigeria by chucky234(m): 5:54pm On Feb 25, 2015
nurey:

Seriously its because of reliability as much as I will try any other brand we must still have it in mind that toyota has always had top notch reliability, even with engine fault, they will still drive. Its only the naija used and abused that are cheap
There are better Jap with same or even better reliability rating than Toyota some of which are Honda, Nissan and Mazda. There is a reason a roadside Naija mechanic who apprenticed in 1980 can still fix Toyota cars built in 2014 without breaking a sweat, why drive bland Tinylight when you can get a Mazda 6 for even cheaper price.

7 Likes

Re: Reasons Why Toyota Cars Dominate In Nigeria by DGD1(m): 5:54pm On Feb 25, 2015
ogawisdom:
Op u forgot d main reason
11. Our mechanics even d most useless of them can handle toyota faults n toyota brands can withstand abuse by our technicians n even gross neglect by d owner. Toyota dnt insist on factory specs n recommendations to run, infact they gladly accept wat we ve in naija n still run well grin engine oil, atf etc

12. Their second hand value is incredible infact toyota is made to last forever.

13. Toyota makes d most durable automatic transmission system in d automobile industry so if u r a fan of auto gear toyota is for u.
Buy anytin badged toyota n u won't go wrong.

14. Toyota was made with nigeria in mind tongue

u r very correct,
d level u abuse a Toyota to n it starts giving one or two minor problems, oda brands will have grounded.
no wonder dey cost so much even older models
Re: Reasons Why Toyota Cars Dominate In Nigeria by chucky234(m): 6:29pm On Feb 25, 2015
abatically:

Can a car dealer sell a car below his cost price? Go online see how much a tiny light costs, add shipping, clearing and interest. It is more than people overyhyping it bro, yes the car is bland, boring and soulless, but it is not cheap even in the US where most of them are imported from.
hahaha nobody buy those cars you posted from dealer shop, there are millions of 1997 - 1999 Camry going for below $1000 in Canada and USA from owners and auction sites, auction export offerred me one with clean title for even $800 at buy now option.
You can get a Tinylight for $800 = N170,400, shipping $950 = N202,350, clearing N230,000 totaled N602,705 yet they sell it for 950k - N1m. They have been selling it at such ridiculous rates even when Naira was N160 against the dollars, which means 450k was enough to land Tinylight.
The most painful aspect is seeing people puts Nigerian used Orobo for sale at N500,000 while Tinylight is always posted for 650k = $3200, imagine a Tinylight used on our God forsaken roads for God knows how long going for $3200. Nigerian used 1999 ES300 is even selling below 350k while its inferior cousin sell at whopping 650k as a result of over hyping and over pricing of the scrap called Tinylight/Biglight.
www.iseecars.com/used_cars-t5495-used-toyota-under-1000

20 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Reasons Why Toyota Cars Dominate In Nigeria by nurey(m): 7:31pm On Feb 25, 2015
chucky234:
There are better Jap with same or even better reliability rating than Toyota some of which are Honda, Nissan and Mazda. There is a reason a roadside Naija mechanic who apprenticed in 1980 can still fix Toyota cars built in 2014 without breaking a sweat, why drive bland Tinylight when you can get a Mazda 6 for even cheaper price.

As much as there are other brands, only a few Nigerians are willing to take the risk of trying something else. But to get an alternative aint easy peole would have prefered the korean brands but getting a tokunbo isn't easy as dealers only import toyota products for easy ROI.

1 Like

Re: Reasons Why Toyota Cars Dominate In Nigeria by chucky234(m): 8:54pm On Feb 25, 2015
nurey:

As much as there are other brands, only a few Nigerians are willing to take the risk of trying something else. But to get an alternative aint easy peole would have prefered the korean brands but getting a tokunbo isn't easy as dealers only import toyota products for easy ROI.
Dealers imports based on demand, if people swing their pendulum toward other brands dealers will surely follow suit.
In the 70s to early 90s Benz, VW and Peugeot were the best sellers because our cars were coming in from Europe until mid 90s when started importing from the US/Canada based on the fact cars were cheaper in North America which offers better ROI to the dealers.
People need to start buying cars not just because of reliability or second hand value but because they want to enjoy comfort and luxury to the fullest.
Range Rover and G-wagon are certainly not the easiest of cars to maintain but importers are importing them based on the simple fact that people demands for them, people should change their perception about Toyota cars being reliable and cheap to maintain because they are not and the number of recalls Toyota record annually prove that.

12 Likes 1 Share

Re: Reasons Why Toyota Cars Dominate In Nigeria by abatically(m): 9:05pm On Feb 25, 2015
chucky234:
Dealers imports based on demand, if people swing their pendulum toward other brands dealers will surely follow suit.
In the 70s to early 90s Benz, VW and Peugeot were the best sellers because our cars were coming in from Europe until mid 90s when started importing from the US/Canada based on the fact cars were cheaper in North America which offers better ROI to the dealers.
People need to start buying cars not just because of reliability or second hand value but because they want to enjoy comfort and luxury to the fullest.
Range Rover and G-wagon are certainly not the easiest of cars to maintain but importers are importing them based on the simple that people demands it, people should change their perception about Toyota cars being reliable and cheap to maintain because they are not and the number of recalls Toyota record annually prove that.

Don't worry, very soon Peugeot will start making cows lol.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U5WijhdUv7c?t=1h30s
Re: Reasons Why Toyota Cars Dominate In Nigeria by chucky234(m): 9:12pm On Feb 25, 2015
abatically:

Don't worry, very soon Peugeot will start making cows lol.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U5WijhdUv7c?t=1hr52s
lol make Ikenna123 hear you.

2 Likes

Re: Reasons Why Toyota Cars Dominate In Nigeria by sonnie10: 9:27pm On Feb 25, 2015
chucky234:
hahaha nobody buy those cars you posted from dealer shop, there are millions of 1997 - 1999 Camry going for below $1000 in Canada and USA from owners and auction sites, auction export offerred me one with clean title for even $800 at buy now option.
You can get a Tinylight for $800 = N170,400, shipping $950 = N202,350, clearing N230,000 totaled N602,705 yet they sell it for 950k - N1m. They have been selling it at such ridiculous rates even when Naira was N160 against the dollars, which means 450k was enough to land Tinylight.
The most painful aspect is seeing people puts Nigerian used Orobo for sale at N500,000 while Tinylight is always posted for 650k = $3200, imagine a Tinylight used on our God forsaken roads for God knows how long going for $3200. Nigerian used 1999 ES300 is even selling below 350k while its inferior cousin sell at whopping 650k as a result of over hyping and over pricing of the scrap called Tinylight/Biglight.
www.iseecars.com/used_cars-t5495-used-toyota-under-1000

I disagree with your narrative. From the analysis you presented, either willfully to make a point or by reason of not knowing have left other expenses involved in procuring a vehicle through the channel you mentioned.

Here are the parts you missed in the expenditure; I won't derail this expenditure part by going into the issue of a 1999 year vehicle which would never have a true customs paper.

Based on the $900 1999 camry
1) Auction fee...........................................................$300
2) internet bid fee.........................$70
3) Inland transporation...................$300 (may be higher depending on the port of exit)
4)Expenses associated with fund transfer $300
5)Sending of vehicle document ............................$80
6)other misc. when it gets to Lagos....................$100

Total $1150 .This is about #230k (naira) . So add that to your previous figure of #602k . Now you have #832K

In your opinion, if someone buys a camry for #832k and sell for #900k, the profit it too much. People just get into something they have no clue on!

8 Likes

Re: Reasons Why Toyota Cars Dominate In Nigeria by abatically(m): 9:37pm On Feb 25, 2015
sonnie10:

I disagree with your narrative. From the analysis you presented, either willfully to make a point or by reason of not knowing have left other expenses involved in procuring a vehicle through the channel you mentioned.

Here are the parts you missed in the expenditure; I won't derail this expenditure part by going into the issue of a 1999 year vehicle which would never have a true customs paper.

2) intenate bid fee.........................$70
3) Inland transporation...................$300 (may be higher depending on the port of exit)

Total $1150 .This is about #230k (naira) . So add that to your previous figure of #602k . Now you have #832K

In your opinion, if someone buys a camry for #832k and sell for #900k, the profit it too much. People just get into something they have no clue on!

Spot on. I deliberately didn't answer reply that post because no matter what I say the poster will not agree with me. And to get a clean title 1999 Camry with low mileage will cost more than $2,000 excluding shipping, clearing and other charges. Now when someone brings that one and put a price tag of 1.2 million people will scream that others are selling for 900k.

3 Likes

Re: Reasons Why Toyota Cars Dominate In Nigeria by chucky234(m): 9:51pm On Feb 25, 2015
sonnie10:

2) intenate bid fee.........................$70

I just got a clean '99 Camry from the direct owner in Vancouver, Canada for $600 and 2003 Camry for $1000 and my inlaw will check them out tomorrow.
I usually hunt for such cheap cars on Craiglist and there are even far cheaper ones, dealers don't buy expensive cars bro, you can even get them cheaper with bid option.
You can get Tinylight for as low as $400 from unsold inventory, that scrap is cheap and shouldn't be sold at ridiculous high prices.
Those insurance write-off with savaged titles are damn cheap and those are the cars our dealers buy in the US, imagine selling a 2000 Camry (drop light) for N1.2m which is the same price the 2002 - 2005 Camry is being sold for, except you want me to believe that the 1997 - 2001 Camry are more expensive than the 2002 - 2005 Camry in North America.

4 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Reasons Why Toyota Cars Dominate In Nigeria by chucky234(m): 9:54pm On Feb 25, 2015
abatically:

Spot on. I deliberately didn't answer reply that post because no matter what I say the poster will not agree with me. And to get a clean title 1999 Camry with low mileage will cost more than $2,000 excluding shipping, clearing and other charges. Now when someone brings that one and put a price tag of 1.2 million people will scream that others are selling for 900k.
No dealer will pay $2000 for that car.

1 Like

Re: Reasons Why Toyota Cars Dominate In Nigeria by sonnie10: 10:16pm On Feb 25, 2015
chucky234:
I just got a clean '99 Camry from the direct owner in Vancouver, Canada for $600 and 2003 Camry for $1000 and my inlaw will check them out tomorrow.
I usually hunt for such cheap cars on Craiglist and there are even far cheaper ones, dealers don't buy expensive cars bro, you can even get them cheaper with bid option.
You can get Tinylight for as low as $400 from unsold inventory, that scrap is cheap and shouldn't be sold at ridiculous high prices.
Those insurance write-off with savaged titles are damn cheap and those are the cars our dealers buy in the US, imagine selling a 2000 Camry (drop light) for N1.2m which is the same price the 2002 - 2005 Camry is being sold for, except you want me to believe that the 1997 - 2001 Camry are more expensive than the 2002 - 2005 Camry in North America.

My brother, I am not saying one can not get a car free in US or Canada. What I did was to inform him on other non-negotiable charges he would certainly need to sought out should he go ahead with the $900 camry auction deal he mentioned.

You still have not answered to the issue of overhead cost.

1 Like

Re: Reasons Why Toyota Cars Dominate In Nigeria by dechandel(f): 10:49pm On Feb 25, 2015
hensben:
You make sense but why laugh or are you been tickle over there tongue
LOL grin grin

Its funny how every mechanic in Naija knows how to operate on toyota vehicles na grin
Re: Reasons Why Toyota Cars Dominate In Nigeria by hensben(m): 11:25pm On Feb 25, 2015
dechandel:
LOL grin grin

Its funny how every mechanic in Naija knows how to operate on toyota vehicles na grin
are you indirectly laughing at we road side mechanic or what undecided tongue.
Re: Reasons Why Toyota Cars Dominate In Nigeria by dechandel(f): 11:33pm On Feb 25, 2015
hensben:
are you indirectly laughing at we road side mechanic or what undecided tongue.
You no even get workshop?? Your case is laughable grin grin
Re: Reasons Why Toyota Cars Dominate In Nigeria by hensben(m): 11:43pm On Feb 25, 2015
dechandel:
You no even get workshop?? Your case is laughable grin grin
its true I have no permanent site yet but I have the tools/equipment which is the most important thing. Dechandel You should be patronising me, man must chop na.
Re: Reasons Why Toyota Cars Dominate In Nigeria by Nobody: 2:59am On Feb 26, 2015
So true. Honda would have been same but for some periodic faults though still the preferred car in the north.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Cheap MTN Data for Andriod/iPhone, Phone or Modem, 1GB for N1,200

Convert Airtime to Cash (20% Processing Fee)

Design a Simple Dynamic Website + Domain Name + Hosting in One Day for N30, 000 (Negotiable)

Call: 08107873795
Thanks and God bless
Re: Reasons Why Toyota Cars Dominate In Nigeria by Nobody: 5:38am On Feb 26, 2015
abatically:

wtf.....almost $4000 for a 2000 model car with over 200,000 miles (321,000km) shocked shocked shocked
Re: Reasons Why Toyota Cars Dominate In Nigeria by Nobody: 5:43am On Feb 26, 2015
abatically:
Toyota doesn't only sell in Nigeria, they also sell very well in north America even though north Americans have their indigenous car manufacturers. Other than the reasons the op mentioned, below are also some of the reason.

1. Most cars in Nigeria are imported from north America, Toyota products sell very well in north America so it is very normal that dealers import more of Toyota than any other brands.

2. We do not have a solid indigenous car manufacturer so we need to source from abroad. The USA is still the biggest auto market in the world and since they love Toyota, it is normal dealers import more of Toyota.
But Ford sells very well in America too even more than Toyotas... Why don't we have so many fords in Nigeria.. I think it's more of demand and supply.

1 Like 1 Share

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

Do You Know How Dangerous The Car Exhaust Is To Your Health? / The Rolls Royce At Keffi For The Coronation Of Shehu Chindo Yamusa / See How This Autonomous BMW 7 Series Can Scare Away Your Village People (video)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 100
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.