Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,971 members, 7,821,403 topics. Date: Wednesday, 08 May 2024 at 12:29 PM

Abandoned By Phed,advice Needed - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Abandoned By Phed,advice Needed (647 Views)

Ejigbo In Lagos: A Town Abandoned By The Government. / Ex-Taraba Governor Suntai Suffers Stroke, Abandoned By Govt, Associates / DHQ: Military Captures Arms Caches Abandoned By Fleeing Boko Haram (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Abandoned By Phed,advice Needed by adahib: 12:59pm On Feb 25, 2015
First of all,I couldn't decide on the appropriate section to place this and as such,mod,you can help me out..

Let me recount the power predicament of my neighbourhood and thereafter,solicit for your advice on the way forward. I'll try to be as brief as I can..

I reside in calabar and as such,my neighborhood is under the jurisdiction of PHED. In august,2013,our transformer blew up with resultant loss of power supply. We went to the nearest phcn office to lay our complaints and after a few days,they informed us that the damage was huge. After waiting till february 2014,we decided to find out what was keeping them. I and a few others decided to go see the business manager of the calabar zone,to find out the state of things. He told us that they had and still have a policy not to fix overly damaged transformers but will rather replace them,but that he had no idea when the replacement will be done and that if we can't wait for a new one,we can go ahead and bear the cost of the repairs.

We knew that was an indirect way of telling us that we were on our own. Knowing that,we decided to seek our fortune elsewhere. We wrote and paid a visit to SEA(state electrification agency). We were told several stories and promises were made. After waiting for 2 more months without receiving any concrete information,we went back to phed,got the contact of the mechanic and proceeded to get it fixed. The bill was 180k. We taxed ourselves and raised the cash. Then came the issue of transformer oil. He said we needed 3 drums at 75k/drum but that he could help us at 200k. We paid him.

1st week of May,2014,our repaired transformer arrived amidst dancing and jubilation. It was powered on and we had light. Suffice it to say that it exploded every weekend for 5weeks before it finally gave up the ghost. So for over 400k,it lasted less than 6weeks. We went back to phed and were told the usual stories. Folks got angry and decided not to contribute to the repairs. We stayed in darkness till december. Once again,we went to phed and were directed where to go get an old transformer at portharcort (they said ours was actually dead and no amount of tinkering would bring it back to life).

So we raised cash and sent an emissary to ph to bring back an old transformer for repairs. This time,the repair was done for 130k and oil bought for 100k(a drum and a half) . Power came back on the 3rd week of january amidst jubilation once again. We flexed the transformer until the 15th of february when it blew up again. At this point,we all have gotten to the end of our patience and without taking a poll,I know that nobody will contribute a dime for further repairs. And as usual,phed has decided not to help. Sincerely,we are tired. As pained as I am concerning the repeated waste of our hard earned cash and the nonchalance of phed,I also know that burning of fuel consistently or living without power is a more painful option but I can't in good conscience go about trying to raise more money for repairs.

There,you have the summary(believe me the story is longer and the cash burnt was way more than I mentioned). Please does anybody know how we can go about this whole thing with the endgame being acquisition of a functional transformer?
Your comments and advice will be most welcomed...
Re: Abandoned By Phed,advice Needed by adahib: 4:47pm On Feb 25, 2015
Guys?
Re: Abandoned By Phed,advice Needed by adahib: 11:34pm On Feb 25, 2015
Any help?
Re: Abandoned By Phed,advice Needed by MansaMoussa: 12:12am On Feb 26, 2015
I feel your pain, my brother!
The Best Option for you people is a New Transformer! You people can come together and visit a Prominent Politician around there, promising him massive votes, he may make some calls for you people, otherwise, na another Contribution catch una o!
My Street been raise more than 1 Milla back then to re-electrify d place! We bought everything! Yet they still come to turn if off at their discretion and bring massive Bills!

I don lose hope 4 Naija !
Re: Abandoned By Phed,advice Needed by adahib: 5:39pm On Feb 26, 2015
MansaMoussa:
I feel your pain, my brother!
The Best Option for you people is a New Transformer! You people can come together and visit a Prominent Politician around there, promising him massive votes, he may make some calls for you people, otherwise, na another Contribution catch una o!
My Street been raise more than 1 Milla back then to re-electrify d place! We bought everything! Yet they still come to turn if off at their discretion and bring massive Bills!

I don lose hope 4 Naija

My brother that's a good idea... We'll try that.

(1) (Reply)

When Buzzfeed Also Questioned Buhari's Murky Reasons For Being In London... / Patience Jonathan Was Right, Buhari Is ‘brain Dead’ – Fani-kayode / Foyose Might Be Wearing Diapers Now,....

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 77
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.