Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,863 members, 7,817,557 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 02:18 PM

Federal Government Approves Nine New Private Universities - Education - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Federal Government Approves Nine New Private Universities (941 Views)

Private Universities Vs Public Universities / A Few Private Universities Are Cheaper And Better Than Some Federal Universities / FEC Approves 9 New Private Universities, 4 In Ogun State. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Federal Government Approves Nine New Private Universities by aceguy1(m): 4:52pm On Feb 25, 2015
The Federal Executive Council on Wednesday
approved nine new private universities for the
country.
The approval was given at a meeting presided
over by Vice President Namadi Sambo.
Minister of Aviation, Mr. Osita Chidoka, announced
the decision at a post-FEC press briefing.
The new private universities, according to
Chidoka, include Hallmark University, Michael and
Cecilia Ibru University, Kings University, Mountain
Top University, Augustine University, Chrisland
University and Summit University among others.
Details later. . .
www.punchng.com/news/fg-approves-nine-new-private-universities/
Re: Federal Government Approves Nine New Private Universities by amokeme(f): 4:55pm On Feb 25, 2015
I hope the standards are good..
Re: Federal Government Approves Nine New Private Universities by uboma(m): 5:19pm On Feb 25, 2015
Do we actually need more universities?
Re: Federal Government Approves Nine New Private Universities by senorova(m): 5:59pm On Feb 25, 2015
uboma:
Do we actually need more universities?

Yes we do...
The number of jambites keep increasing annually in contrast to the existing universities we have. It's obvious enough
Re: Federal Government Approves Nine New Private Universities by Vision4God: 6:15pm On Feb 25, 2015
Hu is "micheal & cecilia uni?"

Ok just watching
Re: Federal Government Approves Nine New Private Universities by uboma(m): 7:15pm On Feb 25, 2015
senorova:

Yes we do...
The number of jambites keep increasing annually in contrast to the existing universities we have. It's obvious enough

You need to think out of the box dude. Even the increased number of Universities cannot admit and cater to the educational needs of all the secondary school graduates who turn up every year in search for admission into the higher institution. How many more universities do you really think should be added to the existing ones that will adequately cater to the educational needs of Jambites?

Bear in mind that the nine new universities approved are private universities. How many can really afford to pay the exorbitant fees of these universities? Just a handful I guess.

Instead of adding more universities, I am of the opinion that there should be more skills acquisition centres that awards recognised certificates upon the completion of the much needed vocational skills that will create employers of labour.

1 Like

Re: Federal Government Approves Nine New Private Universities by senorova(m): 7:24pm On Feb 25, 2015
uboma:

You need to think out of the box dude. Even the increased number of Universities cannot admit and cater to the educational needs of all the secondary school graduates who turn up every year in search for admission into the higher institution. How many more universities do you really think should be added to the existing ones that will adequately cater to the educational needs of Jambites?

Bear in mind that the nine new universities approved are private universities. How many can really afford to pay the exorbitant fees of these universities? Just a handful I guess.

Instead of adding more universities, I am of the opinion that there should be more skills acquisition centres that awards recognised certificates upon the completion of the much needed vocational skills that will create employers of labour.

You asked if we need more universities and I Kindly pointed out why we needed more universities.
The efficiency of existing universities is another subject matter...just as the cost of the newly established private unis...

I was very objective in answering your question.
I hope you comprehend
Re: Federal Government Approves Nine New Private Universities by uboma(m): 7:28pm On Feb 25, 2015
senorova:

You asked if we need more universities and I Kindly pointed out why we needed more universities.
The efficiency of existing universities is another subject matter...just as the cost of the newly established private unis...

I was very objective in answering your question.
I hope you comprehend

Can we debate for the need of more universities without considering their efficiency and cost implication?
Re: Federal Government Approves Nine New Private Universities by senorova(m): 7:34pm On Feb 25, 2015
uboma:

Can we debate for the need of more universities without considering their efficiency and cost implication?

No, but it doesn't change tge fact that we need more universities.... That's my point
Re: Federal Government Approves Nine New Private Universities by AmeLonRo(m): 7:53pm On Feb 25, 2015
uboma:

What percentage of Nigerians wants to get vocational certificates? The mechanic workshops are there sir. Plumber apprentices are still in high demand. Fashion designers have a way of doing their thing. Any one who is serious will see clearly that the coast is clear for vocational activities. Its a matter of the will and vision to do the right.
The literacy level in Nigeria is low. The more graduates the better. Government is starting to introduce entrepreneural studies in Nigerian Universities. We honestly need more University graduates even if they are going to be exported eventually.

1 Like

Re: Federal Government Approves Nine New Private Universities by uboma(m): 9:13pm On Feb 25, 2015
AmeLonRo:

What percentage of Nigerians wants to get vocational certificates? The mechanic workshops are there sir. Plumber apprentices are still in high demand. Fashion designers have a way of doing their thing. Any one who is serious will see clearly that the coast is clear for vocational activities. Its a matter of the will and vision to do the right.
The literacy level in Nigeria is low. The more graduates the better. Government is starting to introduce entrepreneural studies in Nigerian Universities. We honestly need more University graduates even if they are going to be exported eventually.

How many of the service providers listed above are been run by the FG? Most of the mechanic workshops, fashion designers, plumbing works and the likes are privately owned.

Of what use is literacy (university education) when it cannot put food on one's table? And who told you that graduates from Skill Acquisition Centers cannot be grouped as literate persons? Do you know how many university graduates are produced every year with only a few available jobs which will not go round. Do you have any close relative who is a university graduate but still looks up to you or his guardians for their upkeep? If you do, maybe you will understand the point I'm trying to make...

Personally I will suggest that skill acquisition programmes be introduced in all universities and made compulsory alongside the normal university programmes so that upon graduation, our teeming youths will be empowered to fend for themselves instead of relying on white-colar jobs which are not readily available.

(1) (Reply)

What Is The Best Sub-field In Political Science? / List Of Universities That Accept 180+. / How MOUAU V.C Scammed Freshers

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 25
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.