Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,593 members, 7,809,153 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 01:36 AM

Private Universities Vs Public Universities - Education - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Private Universities Vs Public Universities (23903 Views)

Parents, Students Lament High ‘Acceptance Fee’ In Public Universities / George Weah Declares Tuition Free In Public Universities In Liberia / ASUU Rejects N500k School Fee Proposal For Public Universities (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Private Universities Vs Public Universities by SonOfEl(m): 11:01pm On Feb 04, 2017
First of all, I have no personal beef or ish with private universities in Nigeria. Kudos to them. However I feel they are no match for the public universities.

Asides Covenant University which has been pursuing academic excellence rigorously, all other private universities are mere profit companies.

But even if you tell me to pick between covenant university and any first or second generation public university, I would still go for the public universities. Why?

1. They have a well established alumni of global reckoning.
2. They are not driven or motivated by profit as observed in private schools which are owned by private individuals or groups. They are driven by innate academic excellence.
3. Unlike private universities, they expose one to the real world of obstacles, manoeuverings, economy, and independence, all together laced with academic pursuit.

I know Covenant (and others) aims to be like Harvard university. But harvard, though private in ownership, is public in setting. The US government is a serious stakeholder in the university, so the university is not entirely private so to say.

Just my take. Don't crucify me abeg o....

15 Likes 1 Share

Re: Private Universities Vs Public Universities by kabrud: 11:04pm On Feb 04, 2017
Private universities are just glorified secondary schools.

21 Likes 1 Share

Re: Private Universities Vs Public Universities by McTobe(m): 11:08pm On Feb 04, 2017
SonOfEl:
First of all, I have no personal beef or ish with private universities in Nigeria. Kudos to them. However I feel they are no match for the public universities.

Asides Covenant University which has been pursuing academic excellence rigorously, all other private universities are mere profit companies.

But even if you tell me to pick between covenant university and any first or second generation public university, I would still go for the public universities. Why?

1. They have a well established alumni of global reckoning.
2. They are not driven or motivated by profit as observed in private schools which are owned by private individuals or groups. They are driven by innate academic excellence.
3. Unlike private universities, they expose one to the real world of obstacles, manoeuverings, economy, and independence, all together laced with academic pursuit.

I know Covenant (and others) aims to be like Harvard university. But harvard, though private in ownership, is public in setting. The US government is a serious stakeholder in the university, so the university is not entirely private so to say.

Just my take. Don't crucify me abeg o....

Good point but they are still good in their own right. If we'll managed a private Uni can still measure up. By d way pray mk I get d job that am seeking in a private Uni. Not a bad plc 2 start off one's academic career

9 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Private Universities Vs Public Universities by Nobody: 9:33am On Feb 05, 2017
You have to give the private universities time. No private university is even 2 decades old already and they are already ranking at par with State and federal universities. Covenant university is currently top 30 in Africa and top 3 in almost all reputable rankings for Nigeria. If you go yo researchgate and search for institutions, you would discover that Covenant university is releasing highly impactful Journals with high 'reads' all over the globe. ABUAD is also going places. However, the private universities also need to get their priorities right. I know CU is currently pumping a whole lot of Cash into research and even patented 25 products last year with the patent office. Also I agree with the OP that the private unis need to remain private yet also public, Covenant university is also going well with that, with per time courses that are comparatively cheap and fee waiver for first class graduates of any institution who would want to pursue an MSc degree.

38 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Private Universities Vs Public Universities by Nobody: 9:35am On Feb 05, 2017
Lalasticlala Myndd44
Re: Private Universities Vs Public Universities by veekid(m): 1:43pm On Feb 05, 2017
"Just my take. Don't crucify me abeg o...." OP; see reason why I no go talk

1 Like

Re: Private Universities Vs Public Universities by Silentscreamer(f): 1:43pm On Feb 05, 2017
Federal uni remains d best

4 Likes

Re: Private Universities Vs Public Universities by SEOManiac: 1:43pm On Feb 05, 2017
Not to state the obvious, but...

Public U tuition is cheaper, Private U tuitions is more expensive.

In the world we are going to be living in, facing the cutthroat competitors, it is imperative to look at the value of the diploma you'll be carrying for the rest of your life.

Some public colleges are elite enough to be worth their weight in gold. Some private colleges are equally and sometimes more prestigious. But most are average. Those that are free are not worth going to.

In the end, the one that graduates successful students is the one that matters, Public or Private. Some things, money cannot buy.

Attend an institution that continues to upgrade with time, just like university of Ibadan..
You can read about it here

3 Likes

Re: Private Universities Vs Public Universities by Nobody: 1:44pm On Feb 05, 2017
University of Ibadan (1948)
OAU (1961)
Covenant University (2002)

Covenant University is indeed greater grin

17 Likes 1 Share

Re: Private Universities Vs Public Universities by jomboliski(m): 1:44pm On Feb 05, 2017
Private University is well organized and managed better

4 Likes

Re: Private Universities Vs Public Universities by Nobody: 1:46pm On Feb 05, 2017
university is about exposure,not jacking like hell....most privatee univ e.g igbinedion university ,u cant compare the level of exposure of the students to that of students in public univ...iuo boys know how to live well affter school,the urge to succeed is there..Sorry to burst ur head op,no be wetin u learn for school go put food 4 ur table..shikena

3 Likes

Re: Private Universities Vs Public Universities by Nobody: 1:46pm On Feb 05, 2017
And by the way when it comes to research, only UI exceeds Covenant university right now as shown by webometrics( which measures research relevance). God willing, CU would displace UI on THE by next year-we are working aggressively to achieve that. Also, when comparing these universities remember that Ui is decades older than Covenant university. However, CU has more funds than UI and we've releasing publications at a very high rate, though these publications would only reflect in some months time on webometrics when Scholars across the globe would have used them for their own research. But lets be clear about one thing, we are going for number one in Nigeria and Africa.

8 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Private Universities Vs Public Universities by donfemo(m): 1:46pm On Feb 05, 2017
@OP I think it is reckless and foolish to say "Asides Covenant University which has been pursuing academic excellence rigorously, all other private universities are mere profit companies" I am a graduate of the prestigious Ahmadu Bello university Zaria and i work with a lot of Bowen, Babcock graduates and they are doing good in their fields. I will not be too quick to condemn a school that i haven't been to. Yes a lot are just for profit without academic excellence but you cant just say all of them. Cheers

10 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Private Universities Vs Public Universities by Jaymaxxy(m): 1:49pm On Feb 05, 2017
In a private university, you only learn academics and academics alone.

In a public university, you learn about academics and LIFE.

17 Likes

Re: Private Universities Vs Public Universities by Nobody: 1:50pm On Feb 05, 2017
Not again. Aren't u guys tired of this. One thing I love about the private uni is the student teacher ratio.

2 Likes

Re: Private Universities Vs Public Universities by adewumiopeyemi(m): 1:52pm On Feb 05, 2017
Joseph ayo babalola university one of the best private university in Nigeria hit like if u believe

2 Likes

Re: Private Universities Vs Public Universities by MrAwePresident: 1:52pm On Feb 05, 2017
Hmmm
Re: Private Universities Vs Public Universities by sirjomore(m): 1:54pm On Feb 05, 2017
crapy comparisons... op u wey finish from public uni wetin e add for Ur table?

1 Like

Re: Private Universities Vs Public Universities by adebayo201: 1:54pm On Feb 05, 2017
jomboliski:
Private University is well organized and managed better
uhm

1 Like

Re: Private Universities Vs Public Universities by NARYZ(f): 1:54pm On Feb 05, 2017
You have said it all smiley
Jaymaxxy:

Re: Private Universities Vs Public Universities by mystry(m): 1:54pm On Feb 05, 2017
private schools wey dey wear uniforms. i prefer public

3 Likes

Re: Private Universities Vs Public Universities by Nobody: 1:55pm On Feb 05, 2017
Jaymaxxy:

why u dey lie,come igbinedion,u go know say the level of exposure of the students cant be compare to that of someone who is in public univ,get ur facts..am using igbindion univ,because i know what they are capable of

1 Like

Re: Private Universities Vs Public Universities by ybalogs(m): 1:56pm On Feb 05, 2017
Too many restrictions in some private universities that makes you think if you're really still in secondary school.Public universities really makes you independent and at the same time ensures you follow set rules and regulations as it happens in real world.

2 Likes

Re: Private Universities Vs Public Universities by MakeADifference: 1:57pm On Feb 05, 2017
If you have a chance to choose of UI or Covenant for research, jump at Covenant. By the way I've been to UI

Statsocial:
And by the way when it comes to research, only UI exceeds Covenant university

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Private Universities Vs Public Universities by ednut1(m): 1:57pm On Feb 05, 2017
Una don start again o, although i attended a public uni, private uni guys are more than a match. Go to KPMG, PWC, Access bank, Stanbic, Diamond bank, Sclum etc na Babcock and convenant guys dey rain there. they mostly have better packaging than public uni guys. the same thing that happened to public secondary school will soon happen to Public unis.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Private Universities Vs Public Universities by Meeloreh(f): 1:57pm On Feb 05, 2017
I just SMH whenever I hear this topic.

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Kaduna State University Suspends Bala A.B. Umar Over Sex For Marks / 200L UNIJOS Student, Ejike Dies (photo) / Professor Sophie Oluwole Is Dead (First Nigerian Female Phd Holder In Philosophy

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 32
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.