Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,165,218 members, 7,860,387 topics. Date: Friday, 14 June 2024 at 10:17 AM

2015 Elections: Attorney General Opposes Use Of PVCs Only - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / 2015 Elections: Attorney General Opposes Use Of PVCs Only (395 Views)

Attorney General Now Opposes Use Of Pvcs Only / APC Insists On Card Readers;Opposes Use Of Soldiers For 2015 Elections. / Three Arrested Over Mass Purchase Of PVCs In Niger State (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

2015 Elections: Attorney General Opposes Use Of PVCs Only by makzeze: 7:34am On Feb 26, 2015
The Attorney General of the Federation (AGF) and Minister of Justice, Mohammed Adoke (SAN) has said that if the general election was conducted majorly with the use of Permanent Voters’ Card (PVC), the constitutional right of many eligible voters would be denied.

In an affidavit deposed to on his behalf before a Federal High Court in Abuja by one Lawrence Illop, a civil litigation assistant in the Ministry of Justice, the AGF stated that the election “is likely to be unsuccessful if rigid use of the Permanent Voters’ Card is carried out.”
He further avers that: “I know as a fact that it will be in the interest of free, fair, peaceful and credible elections if all willing and eligible Nigerians are given opportunity to exercise their constitutional right to vote in the 2015 elections.
“That INEC as a result of non-effective distribution of Voters’ Card has extended time for collection of Voters’ card till 8th March, 2015.”
The document is a counter affidavit in response to an originating summons brought by the Society For Advancement and Protection of Public Rights (SAPPR) which is seeking to restrain the Independent National Electoral Commission (INEC) from using the PVC and card reader for the forthcoming elections.
Justice Abdulkadir Abdulkafarati had on Monday admitted the presidential candidate of the All Progressives Congress (APC), General Muhammadu Buhari, the All Progressives Congress (APC), the Peoples Democratic Party (PDP), and a non-governmental organisation, Fiscal and Civil Rights Enlightenment Foundation, as parties in the suit.
The judge further directed SAPPR to amend their originating motion to include the new parties in the suit. Only INEC and the AGF were initially joined as defendants.
While making applications to be joined in the matter, defence counsels Wole Olanipekun (SAN), Lateef Fagbemi (SAN), J. A. Adepipe (SAN) and M.S. Ibrahim, all contended that the issues raised in the originating motion are serious and could affect the conduct of the general elections.
In the motion brought by its counsel Nnadi Ositadinma (SAN), SAPPR is also seeking an “order of interlocutory injunction restraining NEC from preventing every eligible and willing Nigerian who has any Voter’s Card issued by INEC, to vote at the 2015 general elections.” The suit is slated to continue on March 18.

Source: http://www.dailytrust.com.ng/daily/top-stories/48047-elections-attorney-general-opposes-use-of-pvcs-only
Re: 2015 Elections: Attorney General Opposes Use Of PVCs Only by temitemi1(m): 7:40am On Feb 26, 2015
Whatever the outcome, all what we want is TRANSFORMATIONS n GEJ represent that, so I say GEJ till 2019!!!
Re: 2015 Elections: Attorney General Opposes Use Of PVCs Only by zieraw2005(m): 7:41am On Feb 26, 2015
my opinion too. TVC should b used too. since I am yet to leave North for East where I registered to pick mine. Easterners can be stringent in every little thing they r handling. it really worries me as I have made frantic effort to pick my PVC by proxy haven made available to my parents all the requirements. yet those inec adhoc staff said I must be there in person. note I also applied for transfer since last year all to no avail. it pains me a lot.

(1) (Reply)

Nigeria Immigration Service Recruitment Form / Osinbajo Denies Plot To Hand Over To Tinubu / Economic Inflation & Cost: Naira Loses 25% Of Its Value

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 10
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.