Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,151 members, 7,818,473 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 04:41 PM

I Am In Dilemma, Do We Relocate To Canada Or Stay Back - Travel (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / I Am In Dilemma, Do We Relocate To Canada Or Stay Back (68636 Views)

Travelling To Canada Part 11 / Travelling To Canada Part 9 / Travelling To Canada Part 8 (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (16) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: I Am In Dilemma, Do We Relocate To Canada Or Stay Back by Nobody: 5:57pm On Feb 26, 2015
ttmacoy:
Good luck with the baby. Have a 6 month daughter and it's a blessing smiley

You say you are an auditor, do you by any chance work with one of the big 4 firms? If yes then another option may be to transfer to their Canadian practice. While not easy, with the right networks it can happen and you are more secure in that you have a job waiting and they sort your visa etc.

If not then your study route is the more likely option.

No I don't work in the Big4s, i av worked in an Audit Firm b4 but am currently an Internal Auditor in a manufacturing company,congrats on ur baby.
Re: I Am In Dilemma, Do We Relocate To Canada Or Stay Back by EMEzzy(m): 7:37pm On Feb 26, 2015
irridemi:
lol why will I abuse u haba. Thanks for the advise, I don't no much about countries but I heard there are no jobs in U.K. But no knowledge is wasted, u can still help out with U.K information, mayb my hubby can have a change. Thanks I really do appreciate ur comment.
You're obviously new on here,NL'ers can abuse you for the most basic thing.
About uk i'm studing at UEL i just got in last sept its a 4yr course, moderate tuition housing not really exhorbitant, my mom insisted i work since my mates are working so i do some work after school,but there's a limit you can work for a week,the pay supplements my money and i get by,but i'm a single guy i dont think a couple can manage with it,i hope you find the best advise. Cheers

1 Like

Re: I Am In Dilemma, Do We Relocate To Canada Or Stay Back by Nobody: 9:11pm On Feb 26, 2015
EMEzzy:
You're obviously new on here,NL'ers can abuse you for the most basic thing.
About uk i'm studing at UEL i just got in last sept its a 4yr course, moderate tuition housing not really exhorbitant, my mom insisted i work since my mates are working so i do some work after school,but there's a limit you can work for a week,the pay supplements my money and i get by,but i'm a single guy i dont think a couple can manage with it,i hope you find the best advise. Cheers
thank you,
Re: I Am In Dilemma, Do We Relocate To Canada Or Stay Back by Nobody: 9:10pm On Feb 27, 2015
Hmmm I don't really know o
Mainwhilr do u
[size=18pt]SWEAT TOO MUCH[/size]
Re: I Am In Dilemma, Do We Relocate To Canada Or Stay Back by shamecurls(m): 9:11pm On Feb 27, 2015
irridemi:
Hello Nairalanders, Please I need ur advise. Am currently 2months pregnant, and My husband is thinking of us relocating to Canada. I currently work in the bank while my husband is into Forex and Securities Trading Business. We were doing averagely okay until last year when business started shaking, my husband has lost a lot and now he is thinking of us relocating to Canada to start afresh. If I resign and we sell our properties, and the little savings we have should be enough to sponsor him for a Postgraduate Course (2years), while I follow him as his wife ( then I get a job), he wants this option cos am a professional and I have good work experience. Option 2 is for me to do a post graduate course and he accompanies me (mayb I will get a good job fast cos of my qualifications). if I wait till we have our baby, the expenses will be much(I.e the financial requirement for the visa). My hubby's uncle is ready to assist us, but my husband doesn't want to take the risk of investing in business again. He has Sasacheskwan or Toronto in mind. I will really appreciate advise thanks

Don't try it for an uncertain world.

5 Likes

Re: I Am In Dilemma, Do We Relocate To Canada Or Stay Back by Nobody: 9:12pm On Feb 27, 2015
irridemi:
Hello Nairalanders, Please I need ur advise. Am currently 2months pregnant, and My husband is thinking of us relocating to Canada. I currently work in the bank while my husband is into Forex and Securities Trading Business. We were doing averagely okay until last year when business started shaking, my husband has lost a lot and now he is thinking of us relocating to Canada to start afresh. If I resign and we sell our properties, and the little savings we have should be enough to sponsor him for a Postgraduate Course (2years), while I follow him as his wife ( then I get a job), he wants this option cos am a professional and I have good work experience. Option 2 is for me to do a post graduate course and he accompanies me (mayb I will get a good job fast cos of my qualifications). if I wait till we have our baby, the expenses will be much(I.e the financial requirement for the visa). My hubby's uncle is ready to assist us, but my husband doesn't want to take the risk of investing in business again. He has Sasacheskwan or Toronto in mind. I will really appreciate advise thanks
...take your husband's advise,and freeze...
Re: I Am In Dilemma, Do We Relocate To Canada Or Stay Back by kingpin4real: 9:17pm On Feb 27, 2015
Nigeria wil always be a beta place becou no much tax

1 Like

Re: I Am In Dilemma, Do We Relocate To Canada Or Stay Back by steppin: 9:18pm On Feb 27, 2015
irridemi:
in as much as I appreciate ur comment, you should also watch what u say. I never told u my husband was doing an online business, he has an office, a company and he is a broker and not a gambler. If u read my post carefully, I said he wants to further his studies, ( is that sitting on a computer), and I never said I make him go out to work. My husband is a very hardworking man, and there are a lot of companies that have been affected by the exchange rates even the banks. And please there is nothing like sweet promises, he has never failed in his responsibilities, am I here to seek opinion about relocating and not whether my husband is a waster or not. Please watch ur words!!!
Were you expecting everybody to be nice? You wanted opinions and he gave you his.
If you don't like a comment or suggestion, simply ignore it and move on. Everyone is entitled to their own opinion.
Btw, why would you open a thread asking for input, when it's obvious you've made up your mind?
You can stay back while your hardworking husband marries an Oyibo or Akata for there.
E go clear for ur eye by then.

2 Likes

Re: I Am In Dilemma, Do We Relocate To Canada Or Stay Back by Ochinawata01(m): 9:19pm On Feb 27, 2015
Their is no harm in trying, try CANADA in good faith and GOD will see you through.

2 Likes

Re: I Am In Dilemma, Do We Relocate To Canada Or Stay Back by hardbody: 9:22pm On Feb 27, 2015
irridemi:
God bless you. Thanks and Amen. He's such a hardworking Man, and business isnot smiling, and I don't want to just discourage his ideas. Please people help out, and God bless u as u do,

I do not want to dwell on this for long. From my experience let the person with better opportunity of a new job travel first. The spouse could be visiting in the interim until the key person qualifies after 3 years of continous stay. Then the second spouse could be invited over. The advantage to this is that if there is a downturn on either side of the divide, the spouse still staying up can pull the other. Generally speaking i will be loath to do this but in your circumstance it seems to me the best option. I may be wrong though.

14 Likes

Re: I Am In Dilemma, Do We Relocate To Canada Or Stay Back by nijanigga: 9:22pm On Feb 27, 2015
First all pray to God for direction. Canada is a very good country if you're ready to sacrifice for a start,life can be frustrating and be very cold in winter.
You will need Canadian school qualifications to make any meaningful progress,if you can add serious certifications will be added advantage because even the white guys are also looking for better paying jobs.
Anything that you can take with you please take it, don't be shocked how much even pillow cost compared to how much it is in Nigeria.
If both of you are students, you can apply for work permit to work off campus, don't expect easy job at first,if not after first year of studies with good GPA you can apply for work permit to work off campus. At any time you can work in the campus (20 hours)/week but the pay is pittance.
good luck to you.

1 Like

Re: I Am In Dilemma, Do We Relocate To Canada Or Stay Back by dexpendable(m): 9:23pm On Feb 27, 2015
Sister, the answer is yes. Please go with him to Canada. As far as the opportunity is present.

You're a professional soo you'll definitely get a job but might take some time, however it's going to be worth the wait. When your job comes, you can start a part time post graduate course. It's only going to promote what job position you already in.

You're pregnant now, when you give birth and your child becomes a citizen, there's going to be more stability.

I believe your husband knows what he's doing. And how vital it is for you to come with him.
Re: I Am In Dilemma, Do We Relocate To Canada Or Stay Back by Nobody: 9:26pm On Feb 27, 2015
Still asking questions?
I can see you dont like like your husband already.
Who asks questions to be with their love?
Re: I Am In Dilemma, Do We Relocate To Canada Or Stay Back by OLUJAY4REAL: 9:26pm On Feb 27, 2015
I feel he should go first, star his PG program $ obtain work permit, do some work and prepare ground for ur going over to him later (accommodation $ arranging for ur own work there). Keep ur present job till all these are settled. You can take ur maternity leave $ travel to Canada for d delivery if u want d baby to to be born there $ come back to Naija if things are not yet okay by then. I wish u a great success.

21 Likes

Re: I Am In Dilemma, Do We Relocate To Canada Or Stay Back by Sunnybobo3(m): 9:26pm On Feb 27, 2015
irridemi:

If you have a good paying job in Nigeria and your husband insists on the family relocating, I would suggest he goes alone initially and you can join him when he finds his feet. It's never an easy task when the whole family relocates and could sometimes lead to depression and even unnecessary friction between the couple.

plan 2, if you are qualified to get study leave from your place of work, you can get that and go for the PG studies yourself while he accompanies you as your spouse. After your studies, you can then try to get a good job and if it doesn't work out as planned, you can always go back to your job in Nigeria.

This is my humble logomachy (apologies to Obahiagbon)

30 Likes

Re: I Am In Dilemma, Do We Relocate To Canada Or Stay Back by Bloomyloo: 9:27pm On Feb 27, 2015
RedCapChief:
Speaking as someone who has actually been to Canada, I can tell you that:

- Canada is a beautiful country. When I travelled, it was so cold but yet everything worked - light, water, roads.
- Canada is an expensive country. If you don't have 20,000 dollars on ice, don't migrate. I'll advise you to take a 'testing the waters' trip first. Tell your relatives to invite you and see what it is like. Another very important factor is accommodation; tacitly ask your relatives if they can accommodate you for six months. You find out that good housing can be bloody expensive, nearly 1800 CAD in some areas of the Greater Toronto Area.
-What happens if the working spouse is not able to make enough money to pay the bills, and the studying spouse is draining the saved up cash?
- An amazing advantage is that any child you give birth to in Canada becomes a Canadian citizen. You will even get some government benefits on top the pikin head.

In all, I really wish you the best as you mull this decision. Get a lot of information, ask a lot of questions and save a lot of money. But, don't jump into the water with both feet!

How can one human being have all this plenty sense?.....Wise one I hail thee

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: I Am In Dilemma, Do We Relocate To Canada Or Stay Back by redcliff: 9:27pm On Feb 27, 2015
irridemi:

Hi, i read your story and a few comments before deciding to comment.. what i have to tell you is this; i do not know the relationship you have with your relatives who live over there but what you have to realize is that you and your husband should not put your hopes on people especially families living outside the country. I remember a certain time years ago i read a very similar story to yours here on nairaland and one of the couple was complaining bitterly on how her and her husband were maltreated by the same family members that promised to help them when they got over to canada.
it takes a very good and rare family member(s) who accept to host you in a foreign country without complaints and grudges/malnutrition. As off as this may sound, dont take it with levity.

I suggest your husband goes first and pave way for you to come join him... but the issue right now is that you are pregnant which would be a very big advantage if you can hive birth to that child there for citizenship purposes. I would also suggest that you do not quit your job for now..

7 Likes

Re: I Am In Dilemma, Do We Relocate To Canada Or Stay Back by plaetton: 9:28pm On Feb 27, 2015
irridemi:

A bird in hand is worht 2 in the bush.
The job prospects in Canada are no longer what it used to be. The economy has lost hundreds of thousands of jobs over the last sevral years due the general weakness in the global economy.
Right now, only low-paying service jobs are being created at a slow pace.
It is doubly hard hard for foreign trained professionals to secure good paying jobs.

Like you said, this would mean starting life all over again from stratch, that may including working in factories for both you and your husband. And it may take many years for both of you to regain your footing, talkless of the stress and anxiety that will surely be part of your new life.
Of course, in the long term , no one can say how both of you will fare.

My sincere advise: The good , well paid and secure job you have in the bank right now is worth more than anything else that you may dream of getting in Canada.

16 Likes

Re: I Am In Dilemma, Do We Relocate To Canada Or Stay Back by Mega72(m): 9:30pm On Feb 27, 2015
U have to take it to God in prayers,ur destiny may not be in canada,it could be here not minding the hardish u are facing now which can chnge for good 2mrw..the bible said there was famine in the land but God told Isaac to stay and sow of which he reap a hundred folds,so my sister talk to God about the proble,He will surely direct u..God bless.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: I Am In Dilemma, Do We Relocate To Canada Or Stay Back by Ricardoveedgee: 9:32pm On Feb 27, 2015
As per his plan to relocate to either Toronto or Saskatchewan, I'll advise he settles in Saskatchewan or better still Calgary, Alberta. Toronto is already choked and in the past few years Canada has witnessed more opportunities for immigrants in the west coast/prairies with some decent number of jobs created recently in the financial sector in Regina & Saskatoon areas. I believe you'll find something while your hubby is studying. Only challenge to working will be having to deal with childcare. Anyway, take a leap of faith, in no time you'll both settle in. Best of luck!

1 Like

Re: I Am In Dilemma, Do We Relocate To Canada Or Stay Back by delors(m): 9:33pm On Feb 27, 2015
irridemi:
High risk alert!
You are 2 months pregnant, there might be questions asked as to why you want to give birth to your kid in Canada and not in Nigeria. For a newcomer, health insurance and stuffs that come with baby birth in Canada is something to consider.
Two, have you started processing the relocation thing? Do you have the PR offer yet? If you have not started, then everything is still but a dream because that isshhh takes years to materialize in some (most) cases.
If you or your hubby want to enter as student, it might be hard to drag the partner along at the same time. First you cant fill the form and put in there - married, spouse coming with me. Lol. You wont even be considered talk less offering you an admission. Second, international students tuition is expensive unless there is absolutely more than enough money to take care of both you and junior, the unborn baby.
Most importantly, think about the unknown. You are going to a land you have never been before to start afresh...as in from the very scratch. Cultural difference, language barrier, no prior Canadian experience, etc.

Think like this: There are many people in the country who are highly qualified, both citizens and PRs, yet work eludes them. I'm not saying there aren't jobs but you coming from another country (Africa esp) and thinking you 'll just get in and get that job and get those $$$ rolling in is a mirage. You might be disappointed. As a newcomer, to start having a meaningful income takes years - 3 at the least. It's a fact. Check it! And say you carry belle come join, lol, my sister no be small something o...As a pregnant lady, you might not be allowed to work or you work very limited hours barely making $$...Your hubby being new in the country, and regardless of his qualifications, might have to take to menial jobs for the 'time being (which might run into years)', and your sponsoring uncle isn't gonna provide that dream job for you...so mehn, Odikwa highly risky.

My advice? Read the above again. Still not clear? Abo oro laanso fun omoluabi... wink

17 Likes

Re: I Am In Dilemma, Do We Relocate To Canada Or Stay Back by bayocanny: 9:35pm On Feb 27, 2015
move to canada, impossibilty is nothing, from my own experience i think u should reconsider where u will be living cus of high cost of living is reatively high in toronto
try to do some research about your accomodation stuff, there are some provinces that have a very low cost of living, like Prince Edward Island, NewBrunswick

stay bless ma

1 Like

Re: I Am In Dilemma, Do We Relocate To Canada Or Stay Back by emmykk(m): 9:36pm On Feb 27, 2015
1.any where he goes you must go,i dont need to tell you why.

2.do not sell property rather have them rented out using a lawyer.(if you guys must go to canada).

3.why on earth will a joblessman be going to a foriegn land with hope to delivery their baby there.the economy reality will be too much for two. besides nigeria is africa's biggest economy you can make it here also.

4.i advice your man to research a business to start-up like transportation business he may not even need to drive,standard fastfood outlet,fish farming or grain merchant with that canada visa money and uncle help.your husband trading forex was just guessing business he was never working he should start real work or business.big bank and investment companies swallow small firm in forex business because they use long term strategy while your hubby company are always in haste.but i suspect your hubby may just be the over ambious type,going by his big unpredicated plans, he may look down on things.

5.People who go abroad do that when they are young like 18-25 and hustle and plan coming home at young current age.but you guys are just going now.

You guys should plan.may God help you guys whichever you took

7 Likes

Re: I Am In Dilemma, Do We Relocate To Canada Or Stay Back by ghetto101(m): 9:42pm On Feb 27, 2015
Hello,my advice will be,you should be very sure that you and ur husband will be given a working permit,both of you will be allow to work,becos canada have rare immigration programme.it's all depends de kind of visa you will request for.in Canada there's alot of work so if you given a working permit you will both get job fast and given birth over there will do you a lot good,your baby will be a citizen by birth and govt will give you help.good luck,go with ur husband.

irridemi:
Re: I Am In Dilemma, Do We Relocate To Canada Or Stay Back by GAZZUZZ(m): 9:43pm On Feb 27, 2015
The course he wiLl be going for costs around 15,000 to 20,000dollars for the whole programme, so u are saying we should av additional 20,000dollars for upkeep?. Thank u once again, God bless u

$35,000=N7,525,000 @ 215, excluding tickets.

Irridemi There are so many profitable business ventures in nigeria that you could channel this capital into if you do some research.

8 Likes

Re: I Am In Dilemma, Do We Relocate To Canada Or Stay Back by Demainman1: 9:45pm On Feb 27, 2015
@OP your going to canada is still but a dream at this stage. You don't even have any visa yet. And who say you may not be refused a study visa? Please no sell your properties for the unknown o o. That will be like putting all your eggs in one basket.

If things did not work out for you guys as planned, it will definitely lead to blame game between you and husband which can even lead to total collapse of the union sef.

Abeg look well well before you leap o. Abroad is not always as easy as people paint it o.

5 Likes

Re: I Am In Dilemma, Do We Relocate To Canada Or Stay Back by AreaFada2: 9:45pm On Feb 27, 2015
It's a very delicate situation. It can go either way. A new country, pressures of job, bills, studies can be much. Being pregnant I'm not sure if that's conducive. But if you're both resilient, it will pay off long term.

Be aware that you may never return to live in Nigeria ever again.

If it was UK, he could travel first and get his PG in just one year. There are jobs for highly skilled people only the current immigration rules are quite tough. I presume a year is not too much to be apart and you can even visit him in that period.

Don't quit your job easily. If you can take a year off work, you can use that period to test the waters in Canada.

Ideally, your man should study first while you seek job, nurse baby & maybe learn basic French. After PG he can earn enough to enable you to upgrade.

I'd say consider things carefully: costs, accommodation (very important), job prospects, opinion of relatives there and so on.

And pray over it.

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (16) (Reply)

Refuse Covers Parts Of Surulere After Heavy Rain In Lagos (Viewers Discretion) / 4 Beautiful Places You Should Visit In Africa In Your Lifetime / Inside Aksaray Underground Market Where Nigerians Buy Food In Turkey

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 96
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.