Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,793 members, 7,817,288 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 09:36 AM

I Am In Dilemma, Do We Relocate To Canada Or Stay Back - Travel (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / I Am In Dilemma, Do We Relocate To Canada Or Stay Back (68626 Views)

Travelling To Canada Part 11 / Travelling To Canada Part 9 / Travelling To Canada Part 8 (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (16) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: I Am In Dilemma, Do We Relocate To Canada Or Stay Back by Nobody: 10:19pm On Feb 27, 2015
irridemi:
Hello Nairalanders, Please I need ur advise. Am currently 2months pregnant, and My husband is thinking of us relocating to Canada. I currently work in the bank while my husband is into Forex and Securities Trading Business. We were doing averagely okay until last year when business started shaking, my husband has lost a lot and now he is thinking of us relocating to Canada to start afresh. If I resign and we sell our properties, and the little savings we have should be enough to sponsor him for a Postgraduate Course (2years), while I follow him as his wife ( then I get a job), he wants this option cos am a professional and I have good work experience. Option 2 is for me to do a post graduate course and he accompanies me (mayb I will get a good job fast cos of my qualifications). if I wait till we have our baby, the expenses will be much(I.e the financial requirement for the visa). My hubby's uncle is ready to assist us, but my husband doesn't want to take the risk of investing in business again. He has Sasacheskwan or Toronto in mind. I will really appreciate advise thanks

Just be aware that without being a member of their professional body over there, you can only be sure of being offered the available few menial jobs
Re: I Am In Dilemma, Do We Relocate To Canada Or Stay Back by Missonas(f): 10:20pm On Feb 27, 2015
Maybe it would be better if u stay and join him later after ur baby is born and he must have scanned d area and he's settled in.just in case...Even tho having year baby there will be a plus for u both it wud be better if u both have other options
Re: I Am In Dilemma, Do We Relocate To Canada Or Stay Back by cachilike12: 10:22pm On Feb 27, 2015
I am really not too clear of what your questions are? But Sincerely speaking Nigeria is best for anyone that has a foundation. All you need do is put in more effort towards trying to Re-establish because life is free and easy in Nigeria. However, if you guys decide to come to Canada then you must put certain things into consideration.
First, that regardless of whatever qualification you have, you just have to start life afresh like a hustler. By that I mean do certain menial job for survival pending when you or your husband put in place certain requirement to get a better job. Example, skill training, vocational and academic training that will at least give you an opportunity to fit into public offices. That is if your God is still with you guys.

Secondly, finance is of great importance pending when you start making income here. However, the good thing is as a student you are allowed to work 20hrs school time and 40hrs when on class break. On the average you will be paying $1000 for rent a month and about $300-400 for feeding at home. Extra $200 for other minus expense. For convenient you need a car, which can be purchased based on choice from at least $1000 and pay monthly insurance of about $200. Please try to get a Nigeria insurance before coming as that will help you a little to be allowed to go for a higher class of driver's license which enable you to drive with a road test conducted.

Thirdly, Saskatchewan is known to be a place for aboriginal with less job opportunities.

Fourthly, I will not advise Toronto for certain reasons, because is full of immigrants and people easily influence and can a times get into trouble trying to mix with certain few. However, it a place where things goes. Considering people with mix culture. Let's say the Lagos of Canada. You can find certain help in Toronto, but if you have your cash I really don't see the need of people, as there problem might be more than the help you get.

Fifth, you or your husband after studies of two years will have to wait to get jobs in certain field and position for three years before given a permanent residence,which now enables the other to sponsor either of you. As for your child once born in Canada. He/she becomes a citizen but has no place in you guys staying in Canada. As you or your husband will be inadmissible to Canada the moment you stop school without completion of your program or you guys go into full time work. That becomes a problem!

Lastly, my advice will be for you guys to get skilled in certain field and move to Alberta province which comprise of Edmonton and Calgary they seems to be lots of jobs there and tuition are around 7-8k per semester. However, much more colder than all other province. But that's why there are jobs and pay well.

Wish you guys the very best in your quest in these did difficult moment of you guys life.

CAC from Toronto.

11 Likes

Re: I Am In Dilemma, Do We Relocate To Canada Or Stay Back by raayah(f): 10:23pm On Feb 27, 2015
Re: I Am In Dilemma, Do We Relocate To Canada Or Stay Back by iponrite: 10:26pm On Feb 27, 2015
my advice to you is please do not leave nigeria without considering the following
1 is is very difficult for a foreign trained professional to get a job in the west i mean usa and canada very likely, u may start with menial/ petty jobs that pays salary a lil small to cope with heavy bills like water cell phone house rent electric transport etc.....
secondly it takes on average about 5 years for a new immigrant to regain momentum in the west considering adjusting to weather, getting a good paying job settling in your house etc and trust me this requires extensive hard work and sleepless nights which typical nigerians survive though
3. the schools are often expensive and healthcare such that u may earn good pay but spend most of life paying up bills like student loans, car insurance, mortgage insurance, taxes etc etc...........please i dont mean to scare you but this place is filled with Gbese credit card money wey we dey live on even with our well paying jobs...bills follow one like a plague

3 Likes

Re: I Am In Dilemma, Do We Relocate To Canada Or Stay Back by kmariko: 10:27pm On Feb 27, 2015
As a former Vancouver ( a very beautiful city ) resident

In Canada it is BYOJ....that is bring your own job.

Canada has first class infrastructure but a lousy economy overall.

If you have a good job here and a prospect of a good job don't leave it leave it for Canada

2 Likes

Re: I Am In Dilemma, Do We Relocate To Canada Or Stay Back by aryzgreat: 10:28pm On Feb 27, 2015
Sunnybobo3:

If you have a good paying job in Nigeria and your husband insists on the family relocating, I would suggest he goes alone initially and you can join him when he finds his feet. It's never an easy task when the whole family relocates and could sometimes lead to depression and even unnecessary friction between the couple.

plan 2, if you are qualified to get study leave from your place of work, you can get that and go for the PG studies yourself while he accompanies you as your spouse. After your studies, you can then try to get a good job and if it doesn't work out as planned, you can always go back to your job in Nigeria.

This is my humble logomachy (apologies to Obahiagbon)

Best advice so far
Re: I Am In Dilemma, Do We Relocate To Canada Or Stay Back by kmariko: 10:29pm On Feb 27, 2015
As a former Vancouver ( a very beautiful city ) resident

In Canada it is BYOJ....that is bring your own job.

Canada has first class infrastructure but a lousy economy overall.

If you have a good job here and a prospect of a good job don't leave it leave for Canada

2 Likes

Re: I Am In Dilemma, Do We Relocate To Canada Or Stay Back by nijanigga: 10:29pm On Feb 27, 2015
"...as a student you are allowed to work 20hrs school time and 40hrs when on class break.... " Please don't work without work authorization as an international student on student visa.
Re: I Am In Dilemma, Do We Relocate To Canada Or Stay Back by Nobody: 10:30pm On Feb 27, 2015
Madam, I will categorically tell you that you are about to make a very costly mistake you may never forget in a hurry. Ask people what it takes to get a resident paper first before you migrate oo without which your getting a decent job is a long thing. If you ask for my advice, I will simply say let your hubby go first and see how it is over there. DON'T QUIT YOUR JOB YET. Don't say Idi Amin didn't warn you. I live in US and I know how these things work. Migrating with one's family at a go is frustrating.

4 Likes

Re: I Am In Dilemma, Do We Relocate To Canada Or Stay Back by Nobody: 10:34pm On Feb 27, 2015
irridemi:
Hello Nairalanders, Please I need ur advise. Am currently 2months pregnant, and My husband is thinking of us relocating to Canada. I currently work in the bank while my husband is into Forex and Securities Trading Business. We were doing averagely okay until last year when business started shaking, my husband has lost a lot and now he is thinking of us relocating to Canada to start afresh. If I resign and we sell our properties, and the little savings we have should be enough to sponsor him for a Postgraduate Course (2years), while I follow him as his wife ( then I get a job), he wants this option cos am a professional and I have good work experience. Option 2 is for me to do a post graduate course and he accompanies me (mayb I will get a good job fast cos of my qualifications). if I wait till we have our baby, the expenses will be much(I.e the financial requirement for the visa). My hubby's uncle is ready to assist us, but my husband doesn't want to take the risk of investing in business again. He has Sasacheskwan or Toronto in mind. I will really appreciate advise thanks

I'll advise you move he'll get a fresh start and for you and your unborn kid(s) a better life

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: I Am In Dilemma, Do We Relocate To Canada Or Stay Back by fendorf(m): 10:46pm On Feb 27, 2015
Why don't you try the Australian immigration program?
Re: I Am In Dilemma, Do We Relocate To Canada Or Stay Back by justmyway: 10:48pm On Feb 27, 2015
It's better you go with him. Life is easier there and both of you may get better jobs than you had before. Just be determined and ready to face reality for now later you will be glad you did. Also your children will have papers and better education. Good luck!

1 Like

Re: I Am In Dilemma, Do We Relocate To Canada Or Stay Back by justwise(m): 10:52pm On Feb 27, 2015
@Tlovely

You are as bad as those you insulted.

2 Likes

Re: I Am In Dilemma, Do We Relocate To Canada Or Stay Back by Siga: 10:58pm On Feb 27, 2015
justwise:
@Tlovely
You are as bad as those you insulted.
.... Justwizzy.... u dey here...

1 Like

Re: I Am In Dilemma, Do We Relocate To Canada Or Stay Back by Adiwana: 11:04pm On Feb 27, 2015
irridemi:
Aunty,pls heed my advice..dont go..ave seen so many people like this.if you hubby dey go,stay here and continue to work..if he settles on a full time basis,then you can go..if you lose your job here and getting there no hope nko?as the saying goes [/color] "a bird at hand is worth 2 in the bush"[color=#000000]

2 Likes

Re: I Am In Dilemma, Do We Relocate To Canada Or Stay Back by Dododawa: 11:05pm On Feb 27, 2015
I have lived in Canada for last 11years, mostly in the GTA and i was here first as a international student, then a PR and now a Citizen. If your reason for wanting to migrate is for better further for your child and coming children and the resources are available, i will say make the move first as a student ( look for a cheap college that allows part payment/credit programs especially in places like Winnipeg, Nova Scotia and likes. It might be expensive to adapt and weather might seat at its extreme but it is worth it on the long run.

If you have family and good friends here who can offer soft landing that will go a long way but dont be deterred if you dont as things will work out if you have God but know it is not as easy as it is shown in the movies.

All the best and hey let me know if i can help.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: I Am In Dilemma, Do We Relocate To Canada Or Stay Back by Olaone1: 11:05pm On Feb 27, 2015
You talked about your qualifications. What qualifications, please? BSC, MSC, ACA, etc, from Naija? Are you kidding me? These qualifications are NOTHING in Canada. Yeah! Nothing! Ditto for your professional experience.

My advice: DO NOT QUIT THAT JOB

2 Likes

Re: I Am In Dilemma, Do We Relocate To Canada Or Stay Back by ted1741: 11:06pm On Feb 27, 2015
Your post doesn't say whether/not your husband already has a student authorization to Canada. If he does, he will be coming as a foreign student and his tuition is almost twice the domestic fee Canadian citizens and permanent residents pay unless he is coming with scholarship from the University. Tuition fees in Ryerson University, University of Toronto and York university are high and vary but cheaper in Saskachewn partly because of the hash climate. I understand a relative is willing to assist and I suggest you ascertain from him with some degree of certainty what that assistance entails; is it accomodation, feeding, transportation, job, tuition or moral assistance. These are important because life in Canada is challenging. You can get by without money in Nigeria but not Canada. If he is coming as a foreign national to study, it means he has to complete his studies before making application to regularize his status as a permanent resident meaning that you people may not be eligible for some basic benefits like medical and have to make provision for that from your pocket although you maybe covered from his student medical insurance depending on the university. Secondly, your husband will have to work for two years after graduation to apply for permanent residency under the "In Canada" experience program pursuant to the Immigration and Refugee Protection Act of Canada and Regulations unless he is doing a PHD program which allows him to make application for permanent residence without graduating first. If on the other hand, he is coming to do a master's program, he may not be qualified to apply for permanent residence even after graduation but can apply for a postgraduation work permit that will enable him work legally for two years after graduation then he can apply for permanet residence, the "in Canada" experience. Even still, it is not automatic that he will be approved, his skills have to fall within occupations A, B or O of the National Occuaption Classification (A=Management skills, B=Professional skills and O=others as listed) as listed in the Regulations. The advantage of coming to study and staying after graduation is among other benefits, is that he will obtain his degree here and will not be required to have it evaluated by the designated institutions by the government and may not be required to take the English Language Test, plus he will score points for having a relative in Canada. On your side, you talked of getting job fast. Unfortunately, your experience in the bank may be of little value when the time comes to apply for job. Depending on where you people decide to reside, you may have to do jobs that may be way below your expectation and for low wage. The good news is that you will be allowed to work as a spouse and if the child is born here, he/she automatically becomes a citizen and does not have to be sponsored. You may also have to go to school to "upgrade" due to Canadian perception of Nigerian degrees. In essence, my advise is that pragmatically, be prepared for some challenges, shock, resocialization and huge life changing. The good news is that, while it may take some time to adjust for so many reasons, once you are settled, you will be glad you took the plung. Goodluck.

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: I Am In Dilemma, Do We Relocate To Canada Or Stay Back by lovethyhair: 11:07pm On Feb 27, 2015
sooperrescue:
There was a successful bank manager with a large house in Lekki owned by him who was doing very well in Nigeria. He was advised by his wife that they should relocate to Canada and live bigger. He foolishly heeded the advice, sold all his properties and his big house and moved on to Canada. They returned back four years later having lost everything and the marriage crashed. Canada has done a lot of havoc to Nigerians and instead of coming back they stay put tolerating the inhuman lifestyles that they are forced to inculcate and then they will be dreaming of when they will return back to Nigeria. Later, out of frustration, they will now talk evil about Nigeria claiming that Nigerians are suffering, no light, no good roads. In the end, there is regret and regret has no cure, it is worse than HIV and Ebola and in the end, like the Bible said, then desire will fail and man goes to its long home and as the preacher stated, Vanity upon vanity. Madam, Stay back and let your husband find something else to do. If he is hardworking and business is low, it is because he has not realised that the Brook cherith has dried up and that he need to do something else. For that, he should think deeply about what he is very good at that he often times overlooked. Like the woman, who was asked in the Bible, what do you have in the house? I HAVE NOTHING except a jar of ............

You have said it all.
This is the truth and nothing but the truth. A word is enough for the wise.
Re: I Am In Dilemma, Do We Relocate To Canada Or Stay Back by justwise(m): 11:07pm On Feb 27, 2015
Siga:
.... Justwizzy.... u dey here...

Bro i dey oo grin grin

1 Like

Re: I Am In Dilemma, Do We Relocate To Canada Or Stay Back by Olaone1: 11:10pm On Feb 27, 2015
Most of the posters saying "go...go...go" here have never been to another country let alone Canada.

Do not listen to them ooo lipsrsealed

Remember what Kwam1 said about "adorun mo otito? lipsrsealed

2 Likes

Re: I Am In Dilemma, Do We Relocate To Canada Or Stay Back by Pesuzok(m): 11:15pm On Feb 27, 2015
You have a job, you have some properties here, I think the problem is your husband. Please convince him to re-think and stay here in Nigeria. His business closed up doesn't mean there are no other good businesses to do. He can start a fresh while you continue working and supporting the family.
The money for tuition fees alone is enough to start up a business. You can even help him access loan from your bank. I think dumping everything and going to Canada is a wrong move

2 Likes

Re: I Am In Dilemma, Do We Relocate To Canada Or Stay Back by 1miccza: 11:22pm On Feb 27, 2015
Op i can't remember clearly but one of the categories in the canadian immigration program is clearly for work your hubby can apply for that.. And on your own part you can still do your postgraduate stuffs

1 Like

Re: I Am In Dilemma, Do We Relocate To Canada Or Stay Back by KoloOyinbo(m): 11:27pm On Feb 27, 2015
irridemi:

Before you do anything investigate the employment opportunities and level of unemployment. Sadly I can advise about Canada but know that my Naija friend who was Bank Manager in Lagos can to Ireland and cannot even get a job as a cashier as ALL the banks here are laying off staff and closing branches as folks move to internet banking etc.

So look closely at the level of unemployment especially as it relates to you own industry sector.
Re: I Am In Dilemma, Do We Relocate To Canada Or Stay Back by Nobody: 11:28pm On Feb 27, 2015
Olaone1:
Most of the posters saying "go...go...go" here have never been to another country let alone Canada.

Do not listen to them ooo lipsrsealed

Remember what Kwam1 said about "adorun mo otito? lipsrsealed
Bros our people say 'who no go, no no'
I think its better experienced.. especially if the party involved has made up his/her mind...

When reality sets in.. Then he/she ll remember the advice given earlier...

my advice is just have a 'Plan B'.. Canada is not a gold mine.. Many Canadian citizens still queue at the welfare office for stipends

2 Likes

Re: I Am In Dilemma, Do We Relocate To Canada Or Stay Back by SantohFilz(m): 11:31pm On Feb 27, 2015
Why don't you guys try the new way of getting PR (Permanent Residence) in Canada, i.e EE (Express Entry) cause its pretty much easier to get straight PR in Canada for the both of you through this route from Nigeria, unlike study route... Or better still, you both can try FSWP (Federal Skilled Work Permit) which takes a longer time than the EE but both leads to straight PR just difference in the processing time. Both routes are relatively cheaper than the study route.
For more knowledge on these routes you can search nairaland for threads based on them.

This is the little advice i can offer based on your issue.
Goodluck to you in whatever choice you make.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: I Am In Dilemma, Do We Relocate To Canada Or Stay Back by IVORY2009(m): 11:37pm On Feb 27, 2015
steppin:

Were you expecting everybody to be nice? You wanted opinions and he gave you his.
If you don't like a comment or suggestion, simply ignore it and move on. Everyone is entitled to their own opinion.
Btw, why would you open a thread asking for input, when it's obvious you've made up your mind?
You can stay back while your hardworking husband marries an Oyibo or Akata for there.
E go clear for ur eye by then.

are u in anyway related to worry? Or you're same person with a different username?

2 Likes

Re: I Am In Dilemma, Do We Relocate To Canada Or Stay Back by Olaone1: 11:39pm On Feb 27, 2015
Ogbeche77:
Bros our people say 'who no go, no no'
I think its better experienced.. especially if the party involved has made up his/her mind...

When reality sets in.. Then he/she ll remember the advice given earlier...

my advice is just have a 'Plan B'.. Canada is not a gold mine.. Many Canadain citizens still queue at the welfare office for stipends
Nice one.

Tell them oo

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (16) (Reply)

Refuse Covers Parts Of Surulere After Heavy Rain In Lagos (Viewers Discretion) / 4 Beautiful Places You Should Visit In Africa In Your Lifetime / Inside Aksaray Underground Market Where Nigerians Buy Food In Turkey

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 87
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.