Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,050 members, 7,810,905 topics. Date: Saturday, 27 April 2024 at 06:08 PM

Buhari Vowed To "Lead From The Front" Against Boko Haram - Yahoo News - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Buhari Vowed To "Lead From The Front" Against Boko Haram - Yahoo News (742 Views)

Ex Corper That Converted To Islam As Vowed If BUHARI Wins Renounces Islam / Police Begin Investigation After Officer Vowed To Kill 200 People If PMB Dies / Kadilo Barina-Kabari Vowed To Never Shave Beards In Rivers Finally Cuts It Off (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Buhari Vowed To "Lead From The Front" Against Boko Haram - Yahoo News by spott(m): 5:48am On Feb 27, 2015
London (AFP) - Nigerian presidential candidate Muhammadu Buhari on Thursday vowed to "lead from the front" in the fight against Boko Haram if elected in the country's forthcoming election.

The former military ruler, who rejected descriptions of him as a "dictator", also argued against further delays to the election and said a free, fair and peaceful vote would boost democracy in Africa.

The 72-year-old from the All Progressives Congress (APC) opposition has been seen as neck-and-neck with President Goodluck Jonathan in the closely fought election campaign.

Some have predicted that Jonathan's Peoples Democratic Party (PDP) could lose power for the first time since Nigeria returned to civilian rule in 1999.

In a speech at the Chatham House international affairs institute in London, which was broadcast live online, Buhari asserted that Nigeria had been failed by a consistent lack of leadership from Jonathan in the insurgency.

"Our soldiers have neither received the necessary support nor the required incentive to tackle this problem. Let me assure you that if I'm elected president, I vow to change that," he added.

"We will give them adequate modern arms and ammunition, we will improve intelligence gathering... we will be tough on terrorists and tough on its root causes... in the affected areas."

"No inch of Nigerian territory will ever be in the hands of the enemy," Buhari pledged, promising to return Nigeria to its former role as a stabilising force in west Africa.

The Islamist insurgency, which began in 2009, has left more than 13,000 people dead and forced more than one million others to flee their homes.

Jonathan and his administration have been widely criticised for failing to stop the violence, which has seen Boko Haram seize territory in the northeast and attack neighbouring countries.

Elections scheduled for February 14 were delayed as the military said ongoing operations with soldiers from Chad, Cameroon and Niger meant that troops could not provide security on polling day.

But Jonathan, his national security advisor and the head of the army have said that major gains will be made by the new election date, March 28, to allow voting to take place.

- High expectations -

Critics have accused Jonathan and the PDP of delaying the vote to give them more time to seize back the momentum from the APC and Buhari said "any form of extension... will not be tolerated".

Instead, he said free, fair and peaceful elections could "trigger a wave of democratic consolidation in Africa" and help to strengthen democracy in Nigeria.

Buhari, seen as an anti-corruption figure despite allegations of serious rights abuses by his regime in the 1980s, also responded to descriptions of himself as a former dictator.

"Let me say without sounding defensive that dictatorship was military rule, though some are less dictatorial than others," he said.

"I take responsibility for whatever happened under my watch. I cannot change the past but I can change the present and the future.

"So, before you is a former military ruler and a converted democrat who is ready to operate under democratic rules."

"I will, if elected, lead by personal example," he said.

"On corruption, there will be no confusion as to where I stand: corruption will have no place and the corrupt will not be appointed to my administration," he said.

On Nigeria's economy, on paper Africa's largest but where the majority of people remain impoverished, Buhari said an APC government would work to free people from the "curse of poverty".

Buhari has been mobbed by huge crowds on the campaign trail but said there was a need to "tamper high expectations on the part of those who are expecting miracles to happen".

"Our expectation of getting there overnight is not realistic but... there are some of us in Nigeria who are serious" about stabilising the system.
http://news.yahoo.com/nigerias-buhari-vows-lead-front-against-boko-haram-002619119.html?soc_src=mediacontentstory&soc_trk=tw

Re: Buhari Vowed To "Lead From The Front" Against Boko Haram - Yahoo News by Trut(m): 6:03am On Feb 27, 2015
That's campaign talk from GMB, adonbilivit.
Re: Buhari Vowed To "Lead From The Front" Against Boko Haram - Yahoo News by Trut(m): 6:04am On Feb 27, 2015
WHO IS FOOLING WHO ??

STUPIDITY is when you go to London to campaign for people without PVC.

MUMU is when you go to London and failed to come back with the acclaimed Cambridge certificate.

MUGU is when you did not go to school and forged a certificate and come online to say Sai Buhari.

FOOLISHNESS is when you have been shouting "Up NEPA!!!'' since you were born but expects GEJ to become a magician within 4 years.

AKPOS is when you read day and night to get a certificate and still want a semi-illiterate to rule you.

419 is when Buhari said he borrowed 27 million naira for presidential form but Buhari's wife donate drugs worth 135 million naira to displaced persons in Yola.

DON'T BE DECEIVED!!! THINK TWICE BEFORE
YOU VOTE.

GEJ is the MAN

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Buhari Vowed To "Lead From The Front" Against Boko Haram - Yahoo News by spott(m): 6:05am On Feb 27, 2015
[s]
Trut:
WHO IS FOOLING WHO ??

MUMU is when you go to London and failed to come back with the acclaimed Cambridge certificate.

MUGU is when you did not go to school and forged a certificate and come online to say Sai Buhari.

FOOLISHNESS is when you have been shouting "Up NEPA!!!'' since you were born but expects GEJ to become a magician within 4 years.

AKPOS is when you read day and night to get a certificate and still want a semi-illiterate to rule you.

419 is when Buhari said he borrowed 27 million naira for presidential form but Buhari's wife donate drugs worth 135 million naira to displaced persons in Yola.

YOU VOTE.

GEJ is the MAN
[/s]

Mumu

6 Likes

Re: Buhari Vowed To "Lead From The Front" Against Boko Haram - Yahoo News by macpetrus(m): 6:16am On Feb 27, 2015
Hahahaha.... Noted!!!..
Re: Buhari Vowed To "Lead From The Front" Against Boko Haram - Yahoo News by psucc(m): 6:17am On Feb 27, 2015
He should quietly enjoy his retirement. Book Haram is not achievement (though might be for some) hence we need a President who will position us in the world map. A one that will ensure our country looks to itself for most of her needs. One that will obey the rights of others. One that will allow the law to have its full course. One that will not be bias. We need a President of Nigeria; not of a political party, not of a tribe, not of a religion.

We need a President.
We need GEJ.
Let him finish his course and let's see where we will be. the world had started to recognize us.
Re: Buhari Vowed To "Lead From The Front" Against Boko Haram - Yahoo News by alberto2k(m): 6:31am On Feb 27, 2015
Buhari

So u wanna tell us you'll jump into ur kaki and face shekau

Eyah... Na ordinary breeze go blow u throway

Fragile, old looking and lying kai baba angry
Re: Buhari Vowed To "Lead From The Front" Against Boko Haram - Yahoo News by Nobody: 6:34am On Feb 27, 2015
The news from chatham house is now worldwide. FFK and his TANoids will have a horrible week biting themselves. SAI Buhari

3 Likes

Re: Buhari Vowed To "Lead From The Front" Against Boko Haram - Yahoo News by Nobody: 7:15am On Feb 27, 2015
keep deceiving them, we all know BH are ur boys, just one call from u they will relocate b4 u get there... mtcheewww
Re: Buhari Vowed To "Lead From The Front" Against Boko Haram - Yahoo News by Nobody: 7:24am On Feb 27, 2015
I will take responsibility for whatever happened under
my watch. I cannot change the past but I can
change the present and the future.
"GMB

1 Like

Re: Buhari Vowed To "Lead From The Front" Against Boko Haram - Yahoo News by koboko69: 7:36am On Feb 27, 2015
I abandoned my breakfast, and was almost punished fpr negligence of duty because I was glued to my phone watching the General speak not minding how much data will be consumed. I must say that alot of Jonathianians only choose to see what they want to see and hear what they want to hear. It os obvious Jonathan can not even stand this man in a debate, Buhari only avoided a scripted debate. Dont you find it funny that the same person who chickened out of a debate with a weak opposition then suddenly wants a debate with a very strong opposition. If Jonathan like he can pick a riffle and even head for Sambisa, I dont give a hoot. What were the Generals and himself doing wrong for the past 5 years that they suddenly started getting right few weeks to elections. I have decided for XHANGE and no amount of scripted performance can change my mind

3 Likes

Re: Buhari Vowed To "Lead From The Front" Against Boko Haram - Yahoo News by egift(m): 8:04am On Feb 27, 2015
Trut:
WHO IS FOOLING WHO ??

YOU VOTE.

GEJ is the MAN

According to Albert Einstein, MADNESS is when you keep doing the same thing and expect a different result. Like keep voting PDP and expect a better leadership.

Nigerians will vote for Change. Sai Buhari.

2 Likes

Re: Buhari Vowed To "Lead From The Front" Against Boko Haram - Yahoo News by bisi16(m): 8:10am On Feb 27, 2015
Trut:
WHO IS FOOLING WHO ??

YOU VOTE.

GEJ is the MAN
After writing dis epistle and u're getting just 3 likes, knw say na "lurbich" u write.

(1) (Reply)

Checkout This Photo Of A Crippled Man Campaigning For APC / Photo Of The Day: Mrs Ambode & Mrs Agbaje Hug Publicly / What Is Wrong With This Picture? - GEJ's Edition

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 34
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.