Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,194,567 members, 7,955,104 topics. Date: Saturday, 21 September 2024 at 05:01 PM

Ibori’s Conviction Gulped £14m, Says Senate - Crime (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Crime / Ibori’s Conviction Gulped £14m, Says Senate (11419 Views)

See The Face Of The Man Who Killed Notorious Militant Leader General Ossy Ibori / How Troops Killed ‘Ossy Ibori’, Notorious Militant Leader, Others In Shootout / Probe The Murder Of Oyo's Only Opposition - Gideon Aremu, Says Senate (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Ibori’s Conviction Gulped £14m, Says Senate by cigie(m): 12:05pm On Feb 28, 2015
Why does it cost so much to prosecute a big thief?

Just curious.
Re: Ibori’s Conviction Gulped £14m, Says Senate by Z8(m): 12:21pm On Feb 28, 2015
Fucking lie!! 14 million pounds ... These people over estimate how gullible Nigerians are.
Re: Ibori’s Conviction Gulped £14m, Says Senate by theoctopus: 12:23pm On Feb 28, 2015
hensben:
Should we now allow politicians to steal our common wealth because the cost to prosecute them is high....oga discipline is the key which Buhari stand for and I agree with him...if there is discipline among the political elite, stealing of public fund will be on decrease which will enable the government to deal with the few looters unlike what we are experiencing under GEJ..what do you expect gej to do when he is part of the looting...remember, stealing is not corruption and how much did nwobodo stole.

If Buhari believes in anti corruption, why did he say Abacha is not corrupt? Why is he being sponsored by Tinubu and Amaechi? You people and all your lies sha

1 Like

Re: Ibori’s Conviction Gulped £14m, Says Senate by theoctopus: 12:25pm On Feb 28, 2015
Z8:
Fucking lie!! 14 million pounds ... These people over estimate how gullible Nigerians are.

The figures are verifiable in the UK. If you think it is a lie, why dont you make your own inquiry? You cant disprove it if you dont have contrary evidence

1 Like

Re: Ibori’s Conviction Gulped £14m, Says Senate by Nobody: 12:27pm On Feb 28, 2015
sledjama:

just listen to yourself.
it is better to put OR i have put

i doubt if you even know your own age
how old are you?

You can say whatever, but I have made my point known to those who would understand, check the number of those that like my post, they have made my day and I am not concerned about you.
Re: Ibori’s Conviction Gulped £14m, Says Senate by hensben(m): 12:32pm On Feb 28, 2015
theoctopus:

If Buhari believes in anti corruption, why did he say Abacha is not corrupt? Why is he being sponsored by Tinubu and Amaechi? You people and all your lies sha
Have tinubu and amaechi been convicted for stealing of public funds Huh...how about GEJ that gave abacha award, how about pardoning alameiseigha who was convicted in the uk and now running for senate, who surround himself with looters if not GEJ...abeg e talk another thing....even the blind can sense that GEJ led government is the most corrupt so far in Nigeria history...GEJ want to use technology to curb corruption but kicking against electronics card reader for the election..yeye dey smell.
Re: Ibori’s Conviction Gulped £14m, Says Senate by theoctopus: 12:44pm On Feb 28, 2015
hensben:
Have tinubu and amaechi been convicted for stealing of public funds Huh...how about GEJ that gave abacha award, how about pardoning alameiseigha who was convicted in the uk and now running for senate, who surround himself with looters if not GEJ...abeg e talk another thing....even the blind can sense that GEJ led government is the most corrupt so far in Nigeria history...GEJ want to use technology to curb corruption but kicking against electronics card reader for the election..yeye dey smell.

Have IBB, GEJ, OBJ, etc been convicted for stealing public funds? So why do you cll them corrupt? You APC e-rats are fund of contradicting yourselves. You are confused... grin grin grin

1 Like

Re: Ibori’s Conviction Gulped £14m, Says Senate by hensben(m): 12:52pm On Feb 28, 2015
theoctopus:

Have IBB, GEJ, OBJ, etc been convicted for stealing public funds? So why do you cll them corrupt? You APC e-rats are fund of contradicting yourselves. You are confused... grin grin grin
I am not APC member, I am a Nigerian who want the betterment of this great country....GEJ defends corrupt practices, his body language towards corruption says it all, obj loot also but there was discipline same with IBB...tinubu was handling Lagos with no allocation from federal government during his tenure.
Re: Ibori’s Conviction Gulped £14m, Says Senate by theoctopus: 1:15pm On Feb 28, 2015
hensben:
I am not APC member, I am a Nigerian who want the betterment of this great country....GEJ defends corrupt practices, his body language towards corruption says it all, obj loot also but there was discipline same with IBB...tinubu was handling Lagos with no allocation from federal government during his tenure.

There was discipline in OBJ tenure? Did you not see from TI report that OBJ tenure was the most corrupt in Nigeria history? cheesy cheesy cheesy

The only difference between then and now is that

1. We have freedom of information and we can now know even litle things like how much the president eats

2. We have social media now that spreads information all across the world in minutes

During OBJ tenure, monies were taken to the floor of the national assembly in ghana must go bags so many times. Nothing like that has ever happened in GEJ's tenure. Its either you dont remember or you were twoo little then to know

1 Like

Re: Ibori’s Conviction Gulped £14m, Says Senate by 100Cents: 1:21pm On Feb 28, 2015
freeboy604:
This is another issue why I appreciate President Jonathan, he said in Lagos that, its better to put machinery on ground to make sure people don't have the opportunity to commit in the first instance, which I believe is better, not when somebody has already stolen we begins going to court.

Assuming you catch a robber in your house now, take him to station with a bloodied face. Police will ask you to go and treat him in a government hospital at your own cost, give them money to conduct investigation.

Then you will be coming to station severally disturbing your time as if you committed a crime by bringing them a suspect. Later they will tell you to free the guy, that the cell is too congested or do you want to continue spending in court after one week of the guy staying inside cell ?

Meanwhile you will continue paying the police prosecutor if you opt to go to court. If you don't drop, they will ask the thief to plead not guilty.

Kangaroo courts..

Nigeria is a messed up place. Smh
Re: Ibori’s Conviction Gulped £14m, Says Senate by 100Cents: 1:25pm On Feb 28, 2015
GreenWhiteGreen:
Let them leave this man alone. He has been disgraced enough. Every Nigerian is a potential thief and liar. This is one of the worst countries on earth. Nuff Said. angry

Very sincere comment..

A Nigerian has not stolen or cheated because the opportunity never show.
Re: Ibori’s Conviction Gulped £14m, Says Senate by 100Cents: 1:29pm On Feb 28, 2015
Ralphlauren:
Lies!

They should give a breakdown of how the £14m was spent and where the money came from.

The United Kingdom was the government that secured Ibori's conviction (he broke UK's AML &BC laws) and he is currently being jailed at the expense of UK taxpayers like myself, so I don't understand how EFCC would have spent £14m to "convict" Ibori. Bunch of liars!

If they claim to have spent that much, then how much did UK's government spend to secure the conviction of Ibori, his lawyer (who helped in concealing the funds), his wife and his mistress? undecided

I expect Ibori to be tried and convicted by a competent court in Nigeria and then sent to a Nigerian prison for Bribery, Corruption and Money Laundering. Only then can EFCC boast of spending any money on his "conviction". angry

**modified**
So apparently he brought up the money spent on Ibori's conviction by the UK government to justify the budget for EFCC? What's the bloody sense in that? Bloody f00ls.

It's obvious they are looking for justification so as to get a fat budget which we all know will end in private bank accounts.

Me too don't really get it

UK convicted this man. Unless UK remitted part of his loot after deducting cost of convicting him.

Then we need a letter to that effect signed by the relevant UK agency..
Re: Ibori’s Conviction Gulped £14m, Says Senate by Nobody: 1:33pm On Feb 28, 2015
freeboy604:

You can say whatever, but I have made my point known to those who would understand, check the number of those that like my post, they have made my day and I am not concerned about you.

so the number of likes from your fellow Tanoids made your day.
good luck with your nairaland likes, and oh! less i forget, i just dashed you another like, hope that smoothens your already made day
cry cry cry cry
Re: Ibori’s Conviction Gulped £14m, Says Senate by Stoical: 1:38pm On Feb 28, 2015
Ralphlauren:
Lies!

They should give a breakdown of how the £14m was spent and where the money came from.

The United Kingdom was the government that secured Ibori's conviction (he broke UK's AML &BC laws) and he is currently being jailed at the expense of UK taxpayers like myself, so I don't understand how EFCC would have spent £14m to "convict" Ibori. Bunch of liars!

If they claim to have spent that much, then how much did UK's government spend to secure the conviction of Ibori, his lawyer (who helped in concealing the funds), his wife and his mistress? undecided

I expect Ibori to be tried and convicted by a competent court in Nigeria and then sent to a Nigerian prison for Bribery, Corruption and Money Laundering. Only then can EFCC boast of spending any money on his "conviction". angry

**modified**
So apparently he brought up the money spent on Ibori's conviction by the UK government to justify the budget for EFCC? What's the bloody sense in that? Bloody f00ls.

It's obvious they are looking for justification so as to get a fat budget which we all know will end in private bank accounts.

Hey Ralph, did you attend Univ. Of Calabar? Your have a friend's name. However, if you aint the one, sorry I bothered you.
Re: Ibori’s Conviction Gulped £14m, Says Senate by Oiselenjakhian(m): 1:46pm On Feb 28, 2015
Hello I am a web developer. My personal website is [url]trustondevcenary.com[/url] please visit my site and get in touch with me if you want a website.

In addition [url]afrogearclothing.com[/url] is a website that I designed for a client. Please visit it and subscribe by email to receive updates when we launch.
Re: Ibori’s Conviction Gulped £14m, Says Senate by kernel504(m): 2:23pm On Feb 28, 2015
If cases against individuals in UK does cost this amount, then how much does it cost to prosecute multinationals? Look, don't be deceived. This is business, they quote anything, take it from the stolen treasury of Nigeria at the end of the day, simple. What's the judicial budget of Britain, that they can afford to spend as much as £14million, in Nigerian's interest?
In business, we buy at low , sell at high. So... British prosecute him with less than £50,000 take £14million from the loot as cost of prosecution.
Remember, British authorities didn't out-source material from enemy state, rather every single thing was through British government agency, so how did they send such amount?
Coming down to Senator Victor Lar, who announced this story when the anti-graft agencies defended their 2015 budgets before his committee in Abuja, don't be fooled Nigerians. The man is asking for more, so he can ''Faruk'' in the name of oversight function.
Re: Ibori’s Conviction Gulped £14m, Says Senate by hensben(m): 2:26pm On Feb 28, 2015
theoctopus:

There was discipline in OBJ tenure? Did you not see from TI report that OBJ tenure was the most corrupt in Nigeria history? cheesy cheesy cheesy

The only difference between then and now is that

1. We have freedom of information and we can now know even litle things like how much the president eats

2. We have social media now that spreads information all across the world in minutes

During OBJ tenure, monies were taken to the floor of the national assembly in ghana must go bags so many times. Nothing like that has ever happened in GEJ's tenure. Its either you dont remember or you were twoo little then to know
Well, you are right about obj but it still not hide th fact about GEJ's tenure. GEJ is suppose to be democratic considering the jet age we are now And he is a civilian ...if not for misplace priority happening in Nigeria, GEJ wasn't suppose to rule nigeria as a zoologist(phd in animal science ruling nigeria is an error from on set).
Re: Ibori’s Conviction Gulped £14m, Says Senate by Mrbigman1(m): 2:29pm On Feb 28, 2015
Dreal1247:
If the malpractices associated with the fertilizer distribution could be curbed, why not extend it to other departments and parastatals

One at a time bro,

If u carry all load same time, u myt end up wasting more time or not even succeeding in getting to ur destination.
Re: Ibori’s Conviction Gulped £14m, Says Senate by Z8(m): 3:02pm On Feb 28, 2015
theoctopus:

The figures are verifiable in the UK. If you think it is a lie, why dont you make your own inquiry? You cant disprove it if you dont have contrary evidence

Let's assume I am wrong, based on that I made a basic search as you suggested and found that the trail cost about 40,000 a week. He was arrested in 2010 convicted 2012 (104 weeks max estimation). This comes to 4.2M (approx) have I missed something?
Re: Ibori’s Conviction Gulped £14m, Says Senate by Nobody: 3:50pm On Feb 28, 2015
akpumping7720:

Yes! U want to add to it?

No!
cheesy lipsrsealed
Re: Ibori’s Conviction Gulped £14m, Says Senate by theoctopus: 5:01pm On Feb 28, 2015
Z8:

Let's assume I am wrong, based on that I made a basic search as you suggested and found that the trail cost about 40,000 a week. He was arrested in 2010 convicted 2012 (104 weeks max estimation). This comes to 4.2M (approx) have I missed something?

40, 000 a week for what? For court activities? legal fees? Logistics or what? You just google and get your answer. You need to do your research from the legal department's records not some quick Google link
Re: Ibori’s Conviction Gulped £14m, Says Senate by Z8(m): 6:56pm On Feb 28, 2015
theoctopus:

40, 000 a week for what? For court activities? legal fees? Logistics or what? You just google and get your answer. You need to do your research from the legal department's records not some quick Google link

Omo how to reach there Na! That's why I said it was a basic search. I saw that in one of the Nigerian dailys
Re: Ibori’s Conviction Gulped £14m, Says Senate by Laid2001: 10:52pm On Feb 28, 2015
My friend, we have only rerouted the scam in the agricultural sector. It is now new set of thieves stealing the money. not the old ones!
Dreal1247:
If the malpractices associated with the fertilizer distribution could be curbed, why not extend it to other departments and parastatals

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Alleged Rape: Court Fixes Jan 26 For Judgement In Trial Of Bishop Feyi Daniel / Girl Stripped Naked In The Street For Stealing A Cell Phone In Enugu / #lagosunrest: One Million Boys Gets The Greatest Shock As They Visited Bariga

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 49
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.