Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,159,295 members, 7,839,455 topics. Date: Friday, 24 May 2024 at 07:30 PM

Rent A Crowd Dot Com: A Nairalander’s Perspective Of The State Of The Nation - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Rent A Crowd Dot Com: A Nairalander’s Perspective Of The State Of The Nation (765 Views)

Revealed: How Buhari Chose His Nominees - The Nation / Jonathan Kicks As Buhari Plans $2.1b Oil Cash Probe - The NATION / Man Sleeping While INEC Chairman Was Adressing The Nation (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

Rent A Crowd Dot Com: A Nairalander’s Perspective Of The State Of The Nation by berexio1: 10:48pm On Feb 28, 2015
Spare me a little of your time, let us reason together.

When I compared the Cameroonian crowd that matched in protest of BH and those that matched for Nigeria, I cannot but weep and really start to think how many of us(Nigerians) really need or desire change. We can say for the Cameroonians that they were united and voluntarily came out for a match, and the turnout was overwhelming and showed that they were committed and willing to embrace change. Whereas on the Nigerian side even though we had suffered more casualties and everyone seem to be informed about BH, we pay lip service or perhaps we aren’t ready for a match than won’t come with immediate financial gratification. Is there nothing like a true course? The accounts of Nelson Mandela seem to come to mind when you want to visualise a true cause. But Is this obtainable in our country today? I will leave you to answer that.

I saw the crowd at each party’s election campaign, and I could just conclude that the crowd was rented. It is easy and it has become a norm and good business to rent a crowd in Nigeria, even abroad as the crowd that showed at Chatham house London was rented for sure. You will all agree with me that we have been renting crowds for political campaigns, rallies, and all. So are the people coming out voluntarily? No! Are some of them paid? Yes! Democracy was introduced in order to reflect a majority opinion on the way forward for any nation. But in a country where values are lost and economic hardship has its holds on citizens. Then democracy can be bought by rich and forced on the majority. So a few people use a whole lot of people to carry out a cause(even though it is not the original intention of the people to carry out that cause) and then money is shared between organisers and the crowd(the few who are aware) while others who must have followed along with the idea go empty handed. The true people who match for change are few. Is this the kind of democracy we want? Another question for us to answer.

A friend once told me ’Nigerians don’t like to get involved’. We have really not been involved over the past 16 years. What will change in the government if the psyche of the people is the same and politicians use it for their advantage? The mindset of the masses needs to change. That is the true change we desire. This masses must begin to call the government to order, support voluntarily for the good of all. One person isn’t gonna bring this change. It must be a collective effort.

**This is my own view devoid of party sentiments** God bless u all.

Re: Rent A Crowd Dot Com: A Nairalander’s Perspective Of The State Of The Nation by DaBullIT(m): 10:51pm On Feb 28, 2015
Nigerians

Fela already told us our problem

(1) (Reply)

Ibadan Accord Party Violence: Four Dead, Several Hospitalized / Leave Buhari alone, face issue-based campaign —Ex-minister Gbagi tells PDP / July 19, 2013: In Three Months' Time You'll Praise My Efforts On BH - GEJ

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 18
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.