Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,235 members, 7,818,786 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 03:18 AM

What Jesus Meant By "Fullfiled The Law" - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / What Jesus Meant By "Fullfiled The Law" (4978 Views)

Bible Gurus In The House, What Did Jesus Meant To Say In Matthew 10:34 / What Does Jesus Meant When He Said, “except A Man Be Born Again…”? / What Did Jesus Meant When He Said; Blessed Are The Poor In Spirit? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

What Jesus Meant By "Fullfiled The Law" by malvisguy212: 9:51am On Mar 01, 2015
Firstly, what is the law, and what is its
purpose?
The law is a manifestation of the perfect
holiness of God, and was given to us
(humanity) to show how utterly unable
we are to meet God's standard by our
own means, strength or works (Romans
7:7).

When the law was introduced, it was
never intended to be the instrument by
which man would save himself, but it
was the instrument through which man
was to be saved. In a very real sense,
man is saved through the fulfilment
(keeping) of the law. When Christ fulfilled the law, he earned the privilege of life.

The law shows us our sinfulness as a
contrast to God's holiness. Old Testament
saints who were called righteous relied
upon the grace of God for their right
standing with God, not their success at
keeping the law.

When Jesus is said to have fulfilled the
law, it means that>>>>
HE PERFECTLY KEPT THE
LAW AND HE IS A PERFECT EXAMPLE TO FOLLOW, AND NEVER SINNED (1 Peter
2:22). This was therefore a manifestation
of and testimony to His deity.

Obviously
something no other man could possibly
do.
He didn't come to abolish the law means
that the law remains the law and is (still)
perfect (Romans 7:12). Even after we
enter the New Pact in Jesus' blood (Mark
14:24), which places believers under
grace not under law (Romans 6:15),
therefore in a sense abolishing the law
for believers, the law remains as a
testament of God's holiness and our
inability to meet His standard.

Something
that remains true even after conversion
(Romans 7:19).

It meant that He never sinned, and
therefore that He is God. As a result of
that, it also means His sacrifice was a full
(infinite) payment for sin, and therefore
that the just punishment for
transgression of the law (of all believers)
was fulfilled too. He fulfilled the law for
us, because we couldn't. He didn't come
to abolish the law, because He didn't just
say "the law no longer applies", He came
to pay the penalty for the breaking of the
law.

When Jesus came to fulfil the law (i.e.
obedience leads to life; disobedience
leads to death) he did just that. Notice
He didn't say, that old law's not good,
don't worry about it (i.e. abolish it); what
he did, instead, was to come saying the
law is good, and he is the fulfulment of
it.
Re: What Jesus Meant By "Fullfiled The Law" by johnydon22(m): 10:27am On Mar 01, 2015
And malvisguy just gave his own meaning grin grin

2 Likes 2 Shares

Re: What Jesus Meant By "Fullfiled The Law" by Nobody: 11:01am On Mar 01, 2015
he didnt fulfil any shiiit, jesus (if he even existed) left this place worse than he met it,

1 Like

Re: What Jesus Meant By "Fullfiled The Law" by johnydon22(m): 11:23am On Mar 01, 2015
MrPresident:
he didnt fulfil any shiiit, jesus (if he even existed) left this place worse than he met it,

hahahahahaha common guy thats harsh...
Re: What Jesus Meant By "Fullfiled The Law" by malvisguy212: 11:25am On Mar 01, 2015
MrPresident:
This thread is not for atheists.
Re: What Jesus Meant By "Fullfiled The Law" by malvisguy212: 11:26am On Mar 01, 2015
Christians are far more likely than
atheists to be part of groups that work
hard to instill values about being good to
other people, and having good
relationships. The teachings of the Bible
emphasize values such as honesty, love,
forgiveness, patience, and generosity.
Many of these values are not
emphasized in social circles dominated
by atheists.
Re: What Jesus Meant By "Fullfiled The Law" by johnydon22(m): 11:32am On Mar 01, 2015
malvisguy212:
This thread is not for atheists.

Bro i doubt if the guy is an atheist...anyway we are all part of nairaland and they wont be any fun here in the religion section without all of us christians, muslims, atheists, pegans.. etc grin
Re: What Jesus Meant By "Fullfiled The Law" by johnydon22(m): 11:34am On Mar 01, 2015
malvisguy212:
Christians are far more likely than
atheists to be part of groups that work
hard to instill values about being good to
other people, and having good
relationships. The teachings of the Bible
emphasize values such as honesty, love,
forgiveness, patience, and generosity.
Many of these values are not
emphasized in social circles dominated
by atheists.

Which society is dominated by atheists? this one?
Are you sure this guy is on planet earth or jupiter

[size=20] 2billion christians, 1.8billion muslims, 800million hindus.. mmmmhmmm
with the world now? y'all are doing one hell of a job tho grin grin[/size]
Re: What Jesus Meant By "Fullfiled The Law" by malvisguy212: 12:05pm On Mar 01, 2015
johnydon22:

Which society is dominated by atheists? this one?
Are you sure this guy is on planet earth or jupiter

[size=20] 2billion christians, 1.8billion muslims, 800million hindus.. mmmmhmmm
with the world now? y'all are doing one hell of a job tho grin grin[/size]
I did not say society I said social circle
A social circle is a group of socially
interconnected people. The internet can be view as one, atheists dominate the internet,it is the only way to preach atheism and atheists on the internet are arrogance.
Re: What Jesus Meant By "Fullfiled The Law" by johnydon22(m): 1:12pm On Mar 01, 2015
malvisguy212:
I did not say society I said social circle
A social circle is a group of socially
interconnected people. The internet can be view as one, atheists dominate the internet,it is the only way to preach atheism and atheists on the internet are arrogance.

Hhmmmmpf am still wondering which is arrogance..

The one that says This assertions are implausible, i dont believe it unless you give me proof

or the one that says

Either believe me or burn in hell forever

Its clear bro ..

1 Like

Re: What Jesus Meant By "Fullfiled The Law" by malvisguy212: 2:29pm On Mar 01, 2015
johnydon22:

Hhmmmmpf am still wondering which is arrogance..

The one that says This assertions are implausible, i dont believe it unless you give me proof

or the one that says

Either believe me or burn in hell forever

Its clear bro ..
Re: What Jesus Meant By "Fullfiled The Law" by malvisguy212: 2:31pm On Mar 01, 2015
[quote author=johnydon22 post=31196750]
Re: What Jesus Meant By "Fullfiled The Law" by oneda(m): 10:58am On Mar 06, 2015
Malvisguy thanks for this beautiful explanation. I have nearly received blows trying to explain this same subject to grace only practitioners who say that Jesus cancelled the law therefore it is no longer applicable today.

I'll humbly request that we share ideas and grow more and more in the knowledge of our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ. I have PM you.
Re: What Jesus Meant By "Fullfiled The Law" by malvisguy212: 11:04am On Mar 06, 2015
oneda:
Malvisguy thanks for this beautiful explanation. I have nearly received blows trying to explain this same subject to grace only practitioners who say that Jesus cancelled the law therefore it is no longer applicable today.

I'll humbly request that we share ideas and grow more and more in the knowledge of our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ. I have PM you.
God bless you my brother.
Re: What Jesus Meant By "Fullfiled The Law" by Rilwayne001: 11:36am On Mar 06, 2015
MrPresident:

shocked el presidente

2 Likes

Re: What Jesus Meant By "Fullfiled The Law" by Joyful77: 6:16pm On Apr 05, 2015
"Do not think that I [Jesus] have come to abolish the Law (the Old Testament) or the Prophets;  I have not come to abolish them but to fulfil them.  I tell you the truth, until heaven and earth disappear, not the smallest letter, not the least stroke of a pen, will by any means disappear from the Law (the Old Testament) until everything is accomplished" (Matthew 5:17-18)

Jesus came to fulfil the brutal laws of the old testament; laws of rape, laws of mass killings, laws of smashing children against the ground, laws of ripping pregnant women open, laws of eating flesh of fellow men!

Op, I will remember this one as YOUR OWN version, as opposed to the ORIGINAL Version that Jesus stated CLEARLY enough!
Re: What Jesus Meant By "Fullfiled The Law" by Rilwayne001: 6:50pm On Apr 05, 2015
johnydon22:
And malvisguy just gave his own meaning grin grin

grin grin
Re: What Jesus Meant By "Fullfiled The Law" by malvisguy212: 7:56pm On Apr 05, 2015
Joyful77:
"Do not think that I [Jesus] have come to abolish the Law (the Old Testament) or the Prophets;  I have not come to abolish them but to fulfil them.  I tell you the truth, until heaven and earth disappear, not the smallest letter, not the least stroke of a pen, will by any means disappear from the Law (the Old Testament) until everything is accomplished" (Matthew 5:17-18)

Jesus came to fulfil the brutal laws of the old testament; laws of rape, laws of mass killings, laws of smashing children against the ground, laws of ripping pregnant women open, laws of eating flesh of fellow men!

Op, I will remember this one as YOUR OWN version, as opposed to the ORIGINAL Version that Jesus stated CLEARLY enough!
I thought you are a muslim, from the above post, I believe you are an atheist, this thread is not for atheists. Peace
Re: What Jesus Meant By "Fullfiled The Law" by grandstar(m): 9:44pm On Apr 05, 2015
Joyful77:

Jesus did come to fulfil the law and thank God he did! But was does that mean?

Imagine you were given a contract to supply 10,000 bags of rice at 10,000naira and you supply it and get paid? Have you not fulfilled it? Once fulfilled, would the contract not have ended?

That is why the scriptures says Christ is the end of the Law.

The Law was the tutor leading to Christ. Upon his death which fulfilled the Law, the Law came to an end.(Read Galatians Chapter 3)
Re: What Jesus Meant By "Fullfiled The Law" by Joyful77: 11:22am On Apr 06, 2015
malvisguy212:
I thought you are a muslim, from the above post, I believe you are an atheist, this thread is not for atheists. Peace

La ila ila Allah, Muhammad Rasul'Allah (SalAllahu Alaihi Wasalam)..... I'm a Muslim.

But what does it matter if I was an Atheist? The validity of your point should NOT depend on my religious affiliation.

Peace onto you too!
Re: What Jesus Meant By "Fullfiled The Law" by Joyful77: 11:28am On Apr 06, 2015
grandstar:

Jesus did come to fulfil the law and thank God he did! But was does that mean?

Imagine you were given a contract to supply 10,000 bags of rice at 10,000naira and you supply it and get paid? Have you not fulfilled it? Once fulfilled, would the contract not have ended?

That is why the scriptures says Christ is the end of the Law.

The Law was the tutor leading to Christ. Upon his death which fulfilled the Law, the Law came to an end.(Read Galatians Chapter 3)

Hmm... Thank you for your time.

But I don't agree with you. Laws in scriptures are NOT meant to be a 'one time affair' as you portrayed it here. They're laid down instructions to be followed by men for as long as life exists.
Re: What Jesus Meant By "Fullfiled The Law" by truthman2012(m): 1:12pm On Apr 06, 2015
Joyful77:

Hmm... Thank you for your time.

But I don't agree with you. Laws in scriptures are NOT meant to be a 'one time affair' as you portrayed it here. They're laid down instructions to be followed by men for as long as life exists.

What are the laws in islam?
Re: What Jesus Meant By "Fullfiled The Law" by malvisguy212: 1:57pm On Apr 06, 2015
Joyful77:

La ila ila Allah, Muhammad Rasul'Allah (SalAllahu Alaihi Wasalam)..... I'm a Muslim.

But what does it matter if I was an Atheist? The validity of your point should NOT depend on my religious affiliation.

Peace onto you too!
your post doesent sound like a muslim, is more like an atheist.

I will like you to answer the above post, what are the law in Islam?
Re: What Jesus Meant By "Fullfiled The Law" by truthman2012(m): 2:28pm On Apr 06, 2015
malvisguy212:
Firstly, what is the law, and what is its
purpose?
The law is a manifestation of the perfect
holiness of God, and was given to us
(humanity) to show how utterly unable
we are to meet God's standard by our
own means, strength or works (Romans
7:7).

When the law was introduced, it was
never intended to be the instrument by
which man would save himself, but it
was the instrument through which man
was to be saved. In a very real sense,
man is saved through the fulfilment
(keeping) of the law. When Christ fulfilled the law, he earned the privilege of life.

The law shows us our sinfulness as a
contrast to God's holiness. Old Testament
saints who were called righteous relied
upon the grace of God for their right
standing with God, not their success at
keeping the law.

When Jesus is said to have fulfilled the
law, it means that>>>>
HE PERFECTLY KEPT THE
LAW AND HE IS A PERFECT EXAMPLE TO FOLLOW, AND NEVER SINNED (1 Peter
2:22). This was therefore a manifestation
of and testimony to His deity.

Obviously
something no other man could possibly
do.
He didn't come to abolish the law means
that the law remains the law and is (still)
perfect (Romans 7:12). Even after we
enter the New Pact in Jesus' blood (Mark
14:24), which places believers under
grace not under law (Romans 6:15),
therefore in a sense abolishing the law
for believers, the law remains as a
testament of God's holiness and our
inability to meet His standard.

Something
that remains true even after conversion
(Romans 7:19).

It meant that He never sinned, and
therefore that He is God. As a result of
that, it also means His sacrifice was a full
(infinite) payment for sin, and therefore
that the just punishment for
transgression of the law (of all believers)
was fulfilled too. He fulfilled the law for
us, because we couldn't. He didn't come
to abolish the law, because He didn't just
say "the law no longer applies", He came
to pay the penalty for the breaking of the
law.

When Jesus came to fulfil the law (i.e.
obedience leads to life; disobedience
leads to death) he did just that. Notice
He didn't say, that old law's not good,
don't worry about it (i.e. abolish it); what
he did, instead, was to come saying the
law is good, and he is the fulfulment of
it.

Good writeup bro.

The Law is good because it was given by God but Grace is better as it gives God's children the ability to live by God's laws.

Law was never cancelled but fulfilled by Christ. Under the dispensation of the law, it was on paper. People read or memorize them to observe them. People knew them but could not fulfil them wholly and yet a break of one of them make a person a sinner. Under the law, forgiveness is not obtainable as break of any one attracts punishment. This is the reason Apostle Paul said ''by practice of the law shall no flesh be justified (Romans 3:20). You cannot be perfect by practicing the law with human ability. People knew anyone who commits fornication/adultery at that time would be stoned to death without forgiveness, yet many were committing it because they could not fulfil the law with human ability. It is almost like what exists in the world justice system today. People knew breaking of any law is not subject to forgiveness because punishment is always attached to the break, yet people break them. I have not seen a court judge discharging a person who has been proven to break the law.

Then, are we not to observe the laws because Christ had fulfilled them for us and we are now under Grace? Does it mean we can now lie, commit fornication and do anything that pleases us? The answer is no.
''But if, while we seek to be
justified by Christ, we
ourselves also are found
sinners, is therefore Christ
the minister of sin? God
forbid'' (Galatians 2:17).

While the law is on paper in the OT, it is in our heart in the NT, made easy to be fulfilled by the Holy Spirit.
And when he is come, he will
reprove the world of sin, and
of righteousness, and of
judgment (John 16:cool.

It is for the fulfilment of the Law God promised the NT in the OT:
I will give you a new
heart and put a new spirit
in you; I will remove from
you your heart of stone
and give you a heart of
flesh (Ezekiel 36:26).
''This is the covenant that I
will make with them after
those days, saith the Lord, I
will put my laws into their
hearts, and in their minds
will I write them'' (Heb. 10:16).

The new spirit and the new heart are obtainable after rebirth in Christ i.e after being born again.

Just like it was impossible to fulfil the law in the OT with the old spirit and old heart, so it is even now. Anyone that is not born again, not having the new spirit and new heart cannot fulfil the Law of God.
Re: What Jesus Meant By "Fullfiled The Law" by Goshen360(m): 2:37pm On Apr 06, 2015
You can never understand that verse until you dig the connection between "abolish" and "fulfill" the law. It simply means "somethings are written IN THE LAW about him and that's what he came TO FULFILL, NOT TO ABOLISH". He's not telling you to "continue" to keep the law is he had already fulfill it and it wasn't written about you and to you in the for place, it was written for you.
Re: What Jesus Meant By "Fullfiled The Law" by Joyful77: 2:41pm On Apr 06, 2015
malvisguy212:
your post doesent sound like a muslim, is more like an atheist.

I will like you to answer the above post, what are the law in Islam?

I ignored the question because I know where the poster is going.

We Muslims do not choose verses that we like and ignore the others. We acknowledge every verse in our Quran as words from Allah, violent ones inclusive (although those verses commanding violence are contextual).

As for Christians, you ONLY want to associate yourselves with the attractive bible contents like 'love your neighbor'. You like to quote violent verses from the Quran but you ignore worse ones from the bible. When similar verses of the bible are quoted for you, you give funny excuses like 'it was the OT' or try to twist it completely; just the way you gave your own version above.
Re: What Jesus Meant By "Fullfiled The Law" by Joyful77: 2:46pm On Apr 06, 2015
Goshen360:
You can never understand that verse until you dig the connection between "abolish" and "fulfill" the law. It simply means "somethings are written IN THE LAW about him and that's what he came TO FULFILL, NOT TO ABOLISH". [size=14pt] He's not telling you to "continue" to keep the law is he had already fulfill it and it wasn't written about you [/size] and to you in the for place, it was written for you.

[size=14pt] In other words, Jesus said "Do what I say, NOT what I do"!!! [/size]
Re: What Jesus Meant By "Fullfiled The Law" by malvisguy212: 3:02pm On Apr 06, 2015
truthman2012:

Good writeup bro.

The Law is good because it was given by God but Grace is better as it gives God's children the ability to live by God's laws.

Law was never cancelled but fulfilled by Christ. Under the dispensation of the law, it was on paper. People read or memorize them to observe them. People knew them but could not fulfil them wholly because a break of one of them make a person a sinner. Under the law, forgiveness is not obtainable as break of any one attracts punishment. This is the reason Apostle Paul said ''by practice of the law shall no flesh be justified (Romans 3:20). You cannot be perfect by practicing the law. Anyone who commits fornication/adultery at that time would be stoned to death without forgiveness.It is almost like what exists in the world justice system today. A break of any law is not subject to forgiveness because punishment is always attached to the break. I have not seen a court judge discharging a person who has been proven to break the law.

Then, are we not to observe the laws because Christ had fulfilled them for us and we are now under Grace? Does it mean we can now lie, commit fornication and do anything that pleases us? The answer is no.
''But if, while we seek to be
justified by Christ, we
ourselves also are found
sinners, is therefore Christ
the minister of sin? God
forbid'' (Galatians 2:17).

While the law is on paper in the OT, it is in our heart in the NT, made easy to be fulfilled by the Holy Spirit.
And when he is come, he will
reprove the world of sin, and
of righteousness, and of
judgment (John 16:cool.

It is for the fulfilment of the Law God promised the NT in the OT:
I will give you a new
heart and put a new spirit
in you; I will remove from
you your heart of stone
and give you a heart of
flesh (Ezekiel 36:26).
''This is the covenant that I
will make with them after
those days, saith the Lord, I
will put my laws into their
hearts, and in their minds
will I write them'' (Heb. 10:16).

The new spirit and the new heart are obtainable after rebirth in Christ i.e after being born again.

Just like it was impossible to fulfil the law in the OT with the old spirit and old heart, so it is even now. Anyone that is not born again, having the new spirit and new heart cannot fulfil the Law of God.
joyful77 if you don't understand the op enough, read this post, you will understand more.
Re: What Jesus Meant By "Fullfiled The Law" by Goshen360(m): 3:17pm On Apr 06, 2015
Joyful77:

[size=14pt] In other words, Jesus said "Do what I say, NOT what I do"!!! [/size]

That's your own interpretation. The law is but until the seed comes. Every context of the law where Christ used it to preach and teach, it is to bury those who were under the law and by his resurrection, those who believe in him, will be married to the resurrected Christ. Ask yourself, why would Christ come to "redeem" those under the law if they where suppose to remain under the law?
Re: What Jesus Meant By "Fullfiled The Law" by Goshen360(m): 3:20pm On Apr 06, 2015
Someone above me said, you receive God's grace to be able to live God's law. That's no what Grace does. You live out Christ in you for Grace is in contrast with the law. So you can't receive Grace to live the law. Both don't co-exist.
Re: What Jesus Meant By "Fullfiled The Law" by malvisguy212: 3:22pm On Apr 06, 2015
Goshen360:
You can never understand that verse until you dig the connection between "abolish" and "fulfill" the law. It simply means "somethings are written IN THE LAW about him and that's what he came TO FULFILL, NOT TO ABOLISH". He's not telling you to "continue" to keep the law is he had already fulfill it and it wasn't written about you and to you in the for place, it was written for you.
I like your explanation, we are all here to learn from each other.

The advantage of the law is to revealed our sinful nature(if the law do not say, you shall not kill.,I wouldn't have known that) but man still find it hard to keep the law, the question is What motivate God to meet our need(grace)? It's love;
Romans 5:8
8 But God demonstrates His own love
toward us, in that while we were yet
sinners, Christ died for us.
John15:13
13 “Greater love has no one than this,
that one lay down his life for his
friends.

Grace is an umarited favour from God, we all are sinner and cannot keep the law. The bible defined salvation as the work of God base on the belief of Jesus christ, if we believe in Jesus christ. We will not sin or break the law .we are not under the law of sin and death.

1 Like

Re: What Jesus Meant By "Fullfiled The Law" by Goshen360(m): 3:49pm On Apr 06, 2015
malvisguy212:
I like your explanation, we are all here to learn from each other.

The advantage of the law is to revealed our sinful nature(if the law do not say, you shall not kill.,I wouldn't have known that) but man still find it hard to keep the law, the question is What motivate God to meet our need(grace)? It's love;
Romans 5:8
8 But God demonstrates His own love
toward us, in that while we were yet
sinners, Christ died for us.
John15:13
13 “Greater love has no one than this,
that one lay down his life for his
friends.

Grace is an umarited favour from God, we all are sinner and cannot keep the law. The bible defined salvation as the work of God base on the belief of Jesus christ, if we believe in Jesus christ. We will not sin or break the law .we are not under the law of sin and death.

Bless you too brother. Many times I don't like arguing with folks anymore because they believe what they know is final or what they were taught in "their denomination" is the right to go with. I was taught many wrong things in my denomination until I sat with the word myself I discover something different by the Spirit.

What most church people\preacher does is mixture, which is one of the meaning of babylon church. On one hand, we say we're under Grace and we practice the law. On another hand, we say we're not under law but we still go back to the law for somethings. So, which is which? I believe Grace is more than unmerited favor even though it is, but it is more than just unmerited favor. Grace is what God did for man through the DBR (Death, burial & resurrection) of Christ without man's works, character\behaviour and nature.

New Living Translation
The law of Moses was unable to save us because of the weakness of our sinful nature. So God did what the law could not do. He sent his own Son in a body like the bodies we sinners have. And in that body God declared an end to sin's control over us by giving his Son as a sacrifice for our sins.

English Standard Version
For God has done what the law, weakened by the flesh, could not do. By sending his own Son in the likeness of sinful flesh and for sin, he condemned sin in the flesh,

Romans 8:3

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Atheists How Is This Possible.(Viewers Discretion is Advised) / Winners International Youth Convention Is Here Again / A Very Good Pentecostal Church In Abuja

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 109
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.