Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,742 members, 7,809,838 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 03:47 PM

Hillary Clinton To Launch Presidential Bid In April - Foreign Affairs - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Foreign Affairs / Hillary Clinton To Launch Presidential Bid In April (1389 Views)

Cindy Lee Campaigns Topless As French Presidential Candidate (Photos) / US Election 2016: BREAKING: Hillary Clinton To Be President Of USA, As Donald Tr / Hillary Clinton Collapses At 9/11 Ceremony, Rushed Out In Ambulance (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Hillary Clinton To Launch Presidential Bid In April by Nobody: 7:27am On Mar 02, 2015
Hillary Clinton reportedly plans to announce her candidacy for the 2016 Democratic presidential nomination in April. The Wall Street Journal reported Sunday Clinton and her close advisers decided on the move to allay uncertainties and boost fundraising.

News of the pending announcement comes as stories surfaced about money the Clinton Foundation has accepted from foreign and corporate donors while she was secretary of state. The reports threaten to complicate Clinton's presumed plan to focus on her foreign policy credentials in any campaign.

Clinton had been expected to put off an announcement until summer, but donors had been holding back, thwarting fundraising efforts. A source told the Journal John Podesta played a big role in the decision. She is expected to skip the step of forming an exploratory committee.

Money appears to be the issue. Clinton is expected to raise more than $1 billion for her campaign, topping the $716 million the Center for Responsive Politics said was collected by President Obama in 2012.

Clinton, who is considered the frontrunner and faces little competition, had been reluctant to enter the fray so soon. Polls have shown her far ahead of her nearest rival, Vice President Joe Biden.

Clinton has been working with policy experts to craft a message and platform, and close adviser Huma Abedin has been meeting with supporters.

The Washington Post reported last week that during Clinton's tenure as secretary of state, the Clinton Foundation raked in millions of dollars from seven foreign governments, including one donation for earthquake relief in Haiti from Algeria that should have been cleared by the State Department first. The donation coincided with an Algerian effort to lobby the United States on human rights issues.

Other questionable monies came from Kuwait, Qatar, Oman, Australia, Norway and the Dominican Republic.

The foundation, which has raised nearly $2 billion since its inception in 2001, defended some of the gifts as multiyear grants that were awarded before Hillary Clinton joined the Obama administration. The Post also reported foreign donations made up made up a third of gifts exceeding $1 million over time.
http://www.ibtimes.com/election-2016-hillary-clinton-reported-ready-announce-candidacy-next-month-1832226
Re: Hillary Clinton To Launch Presidential Bid In April by Missy89(f): 7:31am On Mar 02, 2015
The GOP are making it a cake walk election for Hilary. They are running Ads against Jeb Bush for giving her an award after the Benghazi incident
Re: Hillary Clinton To Launch Presidential Bid In April by Nobody: 7:46am On Mar 02, 2015
Missy89:
The GOP are making it a cake walk election for Hilary. They are running Ads against Jeb Bush for giving her an award after the Benghazi incident
Dumb move as usual. It seems the Repubs haven't learned their lesson from the 2012 cycle where they took turns in bashing Romney, which Obama used in the general election.
Re: Hillary Clinton To Launch Presidential Bid In April by Nobody: 10:19pm On Mar 02, 2015
Tinubu can be US president
Re: Hillary Clinton To Launch Presidential Bid In April by Nobody: 10:34pm On Mar 02, 2015
Will be following, i enjoy and learn a lot from the US elections, especially from the democrats. Looks like hillary has got this in the bag.
Re: Hillary Clinton To Launch Presidential Bid In April by Nobody: 10:41pm On Mar 02, 2015
Obiagelli:
Will be following, i enjoy and learn a lot from the US elections, especially from the democrats. Looks like hillary has got this in the bag.
Yeah, Hillary is, so far, leading by over 40% in various opinion polls on the Democratic side. In some polls, she scorers 65%, while her closest challenger gets 11% or below grin
Re: Hillary Clinton To Launch Presidential Bid In April by FindOut(m): 11:29pm On Mar 02, 2015
How old is Hillary Clinton again?

Oh, 67.

If she wins, she'll be sworn in at 69, and she might very well spend 8 years,, meaning she'll be leaving the white house at 77.

Later, someone will tell me Buhari is too old to be President, especially when the younger contestant with a supposed Ph. D. degree is working very hard to break his own already set record of being the worst president we have ever had.

When it comes to leadership, integrity and competence are considered beyond age.

1 Like

Re: Hillary Clinton To Launch Presidential Bid In April by Nobody: 11:32pm On Mar 02, 2015
Hillary clinton will become US president by 2016 and muhammadu buhari will become NIGERIA president from may29,2015.......mark my words...
Re: Hillary Clinton To Launch Presidential Bid In April by Nobody: 12:43am On Mar 03, 2015
FindOut:
How old is Hillary Clinton again?

Oh, 67.

If she wins, she'll be sworn in at 69, and she might very well spend 8 years,, meaning she'll be leaving the white house at 77.

Later, someone will tell me Buhari is too old to be President, especially when the younger contestant with a supposed Ph. D. degree is working very hard to break his own already set record of being the worst president we have ever had.

When it comes to leadership, integrity and competence are considered beyond age.
Hillary would likely pick a much younger person as her running mate (Senator Kirsten Gillibrand, Julian Castro or Cory Booker) with an agreement that she would be a one-term president.
Re: Hillary Clinton To Launch Presidential Bid In April by raumdeuter: 12:48am On Mar 03, 2015
How come the same people who are complaining about Tinubu are not doing the same about Clinton and bush

1992 was a bush vs Clinton. 24yrs later might be the same.

How come Americans are not complaining about the age of Hilary like Nigerians are
Re: Hillary Clinton To Launch Presidential Bid In April by FindOut(m): 1:46pm On Mar 04, 2015
CFCfan:

Hillary would likely pick a much younger person as her running mate (Senator Kirsten Gillibrand, Julian Castro or Cory Booker) with an agreement that she would be a one-term president.

And why would she do this? Age? Ronald Reagan was sworn in as President two weeks to his 70th birthday and he served two full terms, leaving the white house just before he clocked 78. Health grounds? She wouldn't even be running at all if that were the case.

Again, I do not think age will be a serious issue.
Re: Hillary Clinton To Launch Presidential Bid In April by Afam4eva(m): 1:54pm On Mar 04, 2015
I'll like to see this woman become America's president. I was cut between her and Obama in 2008 but i had to settle for Obama because his presidency represents a lot. Now, we have an African-American president. I'll want to see her become America's first female president. Then after her, it's the turn of Igbos grin. If we can't rule Nigeria, then we have to look else where. probably gabon grin
Re: Hillary Clinton To Launch Presidential Bid In April by Nobody: 3:17pm On Mar 04, 2015
Afam4eva:
I'll like to see this woman become America's president. I was cut between her and Obama in 2008 but i had to settle for Obama because his presidency represents a lot. Now, we have an African-American president. I'll want to see her become America's first female president. Then after her, it's the turn of Igbos grin. If we can't rule Nigeria, then we have to look else where. probably gabon grin
grin grin grin grin
It's possible for a person of Igbo or Nigerian descent to be US president only if the person was born in the US, and has resided in the country for at least 14 years.
Re: Hillary Clinton To Launch Presidential Bid In April by Afam4eva(m): 3:27pm On Mar 04, 2015
CFCfan:

grin grin grin grin
It's possible for a person of Igbo or Nigerian descent to be US president only if the person was born in the US, and has resided in the country for at least 14 years.
That's exactly my point. Maybe Oguagua or you (are you a citizen) grin?
Re: Hillary Clinton To Launch Presidential Bid In April by Nobody: 3:32pm On Mar 04, 2015
Afam4eva:

That's exactly my point. Maybe Oguagua or you (are you a citizen) grin?
Ogugua fulfills the requirements because she is a citizen by birth.
I am a naturalized citizen, so I ain't eligible. But I could be her Chief of Staff grin
Re: Hillary Clinton To Launch Presidential Bid In April by Afam4eva(m): 3:34pm On Mar 04, 2015
CFCfan:

Ogugua fulfills the requirements because she is a citizen by birth.
I am a naturalized citizen, so I ain't eligible. But I could be her Chief of Staff grin
Really? I thought citizenship was citizenship irrespective of how it is gotten. How about citizenship by Marriage?
Re: Hillary Clinton To Launch Presidential Bid In April by Nobody: 3:43pm On Mar 04, 2015
Afam4eva:

Really? I thought citizenship was citizenship irrespective of how it is gotten. How about citizenship by Marriage?
Citizenship by marriage still doesn't make one eligible. To be eligible to be run for US president, one could also be born abroad (outside the US) to US citizens or one US citizen.
Re: Hillary Clinton To Launch Presidential Bid In April by Afam4eva(m): 3:58pm On Mar 04, 2015
CFCfan:

Citizenship by marriage still doesn't make one eligible. To be eligible to be run for US president, one could also be born abroad (outside the US) to US citizens or one US citizen.
Chai, Americans are smart oo.

So, where's Ogugua?
Re: Hillary Clinton To Launch Presidential Bid In April by Nobody: 4:11pm On Mar 04, 2015
Afam4eva:

Chai, Americans are smart oo.

So, where's Ogugua?
She stays in northern California. We chat, sometimes, on fb.
Re: Hillary Clinton To Launch Presidential Bid In April by Afam4eva(m): 4:13pm On Mar 04, 2015
CFCfan:

She stays in northern California. We chat, sometimes, on fb.
I mean on Nairaland. What username does she go by these days?
Re: Hillary Clinton To Launch Presidential Bid In April by Nobody: 4:15pm On Mar 04, 2015
Afam4eva:

I mean on Nairaland. What username does she go by these days?
No idea.
Re: Hillary Clinton To Launch Presidential Bid In April by Nobody: 4:22pm On Mar 04, 2015
Front page pls cheesy
Re: Hillary Clinton To Launch Presidential Bid In April by cococandy(f): 5:31pm On Mar 04, 2015
Afam4eva:
you're a clown. cheesy

1 Like

Re: Hillary Clinton To Launch Presidential Bid In April by cococandy(f): 5:38pm On Mar 04, 2015
She has my vote.
That's for sure
Re: Hillary Clinton To Launch Presidential Bid In April by ERODEDEAST(f): 5:41pm On Mar 07, 2015
Next President take it or leave it

1 Like

Re: Hillary Clinton To Launch Presidential Bid In April by Nobody: 8:19pm On Mar 07, 2015
ERODEDEAST:
Next President take it or leave it
Hmm
Re: Hillary Clinton To Launch Presidential Bid In April by Nobody: 12:23am On Mar 15, 2015
First female president or vice president near-certain come 2016

One way or another, there’s likely to be a woman in the White House in 2017.

With Hillary Clinton as the Democrats’ heavy favorite, Republicans will be feeling pressure over the next year to pick a woman as their No. 2.

That combination atop the major party tickets would assure that for the first time in history, there would be either a female president or a female vice president.

Both parties have tried before — Democrats made history first with New York Rep. Geraldine Ferraro as their nominee for vice president in 1984. But that didn’t stop President Reagan’s reelection rout of the Ferraro ticket with Walter Mondale.

Sen. John McCain’s (R-Ariz.) pick of then-Alaska Gov. Sarah Palin as his running mate in 2008 seemed significant at first like it might turn things around. It didn’t. Her missteps ended up hurting McCain’s bid and Barack Obama became the nation’s first black president.

Republicans have a much deeper, more experienced bench eight years later. With Clinton signaling in recent speeches she will embrace the historic nature of her candidacy this time around — something she was hesitant to do in 2008 — Republicans are going to have to find a way to counter that advantage and the yawning gender gap.

New Mexico Gov. Susana Martinez seems to check all the boxes the GOP needs checked — the Latina was just reelected handily. She’s downplayed any national aspirations, but party elders can be very convincing.

Former Hewlett-Packard CEO Carly Fiorina has been proving exactly why the GOP needs a woman on the ticket to balance out Clinton.

The GOP’s biggest problem over the past few cycles has been figuring out both how to talk to, and about, women. In recent years, male politicians tripped badly over questions about rape, abortion and sexual assault.

According to 2012 exit polling, GOP nominee Mitt Romney lost women by 11 points nationally, 55 to 44 percent. Women made up 53 percent of the presidential electorate that year.

How to deftly criticize Clinton without it backfiring is something the all-male GOP presidential front-runners will have to figure out too. Yet, Fiorina could provide them cover — and she’s already been embracing the role of attack dog in a way that men can’t.

Her major speeches at the Iowa Freedom Forum and last month’s Conservative Political Action Conference have caused the GOP establishment class to take notice. She’s a long way from breaking into the top tier of the likely 2016 field, but she’s far improved her standing since her heavily criticized 2010 California Senate run.

New Hampshire Sen. Kelly Ayotte would be high up on the GOP’s wish list, but she has her own competitive 2016 reelection to worry about. Ayotte is allowed to run for the Senate and the White House simultaneously. Given the ferocity with which outside groups like Crossroads GPS are already going after her likely opponent, Democratic Gov. Maggie Hassan, it’s unlikely the GOP would risk a competitive Senate seat when the upper chamber is at risk.

Nikki Haley, the Indian-American governor of South Carolina, will also likely be talked about and handily won a contested reelection race last year. But she’s currently dealing with a lawsuit against the state’s embattled foster care system.

A dream candidate would be former Secretary of State Condoleezza Rice — an African-American female who would neutralize many of Clinton’s foreign policy and gender advantages. But she’s shown little interest in elective office since leaving the George W. Bush administration, most recently passing on a California Senate run.

There could be other long shots in the mix, too. Freshman Iowa Sen. Joni Ernst is skyrocketing to fame after her 2014 win, delivering this year’s State of the Union rebuttal. She’ll have major influence in her home state caucuses. The Iraq combat veteran would bring military heft to a ticket, though critics would attack her lack of experience.

Less well-known names like West Virginia Sen. Shelley Moore Capito or House GOP Conference Chairwoman Cathy McMorris Rodgers could also be considered; both would add years of legislative heft to the ticket.

The good news for Republicans is that the GOP bench is deeper than it ever has been.

It may not just be Republicans who are eyeing female vice president, though. I’ve heard speculation among both Democrats and Republicans that Clinton could pick a female running mate to bolster an already historic ticket.
http://thehill.com/homenews/campaign/235448-a-woman-in-the-white-house-in-2017-its-likely
Re: Hillary Clinton To Launch Presidential Bid In April by igbo2011(m): 1:27pm On Mar 16, 2015
Look at what she did in Libya.

Hillary Clinton on Gaddafi: We came, we saw, he died:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fgcd1ghag5Y

Susan Rice and African dictators:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LWd_jlFtUx8

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Hillary Clinton To Launch Presidential Bid In April by SIRTee15: 5:54pm On Mar 17, 2015
Hillary looks like a divisive figure in america
she's not very popular
I read comments about her on yahoo news today
1500 comments and non was favourable
the comments were hateful n spiteful
one even said an hillary presidency will bring back the north v south american revolution.
I think the general impression in the us is that obama presidency is a mistake.
and really I cant fault them.
he promised change but all we could see both at home n abroad is continuity of the same hegemonic order.
a lot of americanse are angry n tired.
they felt they were swindled by the first-time mantra in 2008.
now, they want nothing of such.
unfortunately, hillary campaign bears such similarities- first female president. Moreover, most Americans feels hillary represent everything that is wrong with washington- elitist govt, arrogance, power obsession, excessive welfarism........
then is the issue of Clinton v Bush dynasty.
democrats will do well to present a more open, less controversial candidate.
I think its time americans do away with both the Bushs' n the clintons'

1 Like

(1) (Reply)

Basurin: Kiev Has Amassed 238 Tanks, 101 Ceasefire Violations Over The Past Wee / Mh-17’s Unnecessary Mystery[/ / When The Cold War Came To Africa: Photographs Show Us-backed Troops Fighting

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 46
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.