Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,962 members, 7,817,821 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 08:27 PM

Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedures Part 2 - Travel (49) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedures Part 2 (893081 Views)

Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedures Part 5 / Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedures Part 4 / Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedures Part 3 (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (46) (47) (48) (49) (50) (51) (52) ... (333) (Go Down)

Re: Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedures Part 2 by slimwendy85: 2:49am On Mar 29, 2015
Thanks phema.
Re: Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedures Part 2 by MadameU: 3:02am On Mar 29, 2015
Dear Nairalanders please is there any one that has travelled with a car seat and stroller back home using emirates? I would like to know if you were charged for the infant car seat, at check in was it counted against the baby's baggage allowance or just checked in without it counting against the baby's baggage allowance? Thanks all. God bless us all
Re: Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedures Part 2 by Cecebee: 4:23am On Mar 29, 2015
Hello everyone,
My POE story goes thus:
I flew BA via Phoenix to Elpaso TX. Both Flights were supper full and since I asked for wheel chair services I was seated on the row of seats where bassinets are placed. The leg room was great and I wore compression socks which helped I guess, with swelling on my feet. I also took periodic walks in the plane throughout the flight. I was the only black person and preggy one at that on the flight
Got to phoenix was wheeled to the CBP and passed over my passports,
CPB: Hello ma’am, what brings you to USA today? (Typing furiously)
Me: Childbirth (smiling)
CBP: Say again?
Me: Repeated the answer
CBP: How many times have you been here?
Me: 4 times
CBP: What do you do?
Me: Told him.
CBP: How long have you worked there?
Me: Told him
CBP: Do you have funds to cover your expenses and how much?
Me: Yes… $15k
CBP: Please place four fingers on the scanner…bla bla bla (He then stamps me in for 6 months).
(In my head I said wow! Easy peasy!!......oh was I wrong)
CBP: Come with me to Secondary Inspection
Me: Ok
Got to secondary, the CBP left me to speak to speak with his colleagues, passed my passports and landing card to them and left. There was a couple I met there and some other people came in and joined us. If I count correctly, at least 20 more people came in, were interviewed and let go.
Eventually I was the only one left. For 2hrs I sat there and no one said a word to me. My tough guy persona I had employed started to crack…I began to worry and question my level of preparedness.
I told myself that I was well prepared and that this is probably what they wanted me to do….to worry! It’s either this or they simply didn’t just notice I was sitting there in plain view. And I was determined not to say a word until I was spoken to.
I was already exhausted, I told myself feigning sleep was going to be easy. It was too easy. A lady woke me up (I’m sure when I started snoring) and told me to follow her to Agriculture. Got there and I had to wait my turn….this took another hour. Finally they called me…opened my bags and did a peripheral check….saw my food and my plenty chicken indomie and left it (was so sure they would trash it). Asked me where I worked, where my hubby worked, how much we both earned, how much cash I had, asked for and counted the cash, demanded to know why I carried cash? Why didn’t I just leave it in my card? Asked me for Doc’s correspondence….i was taken aback….in my head I was like…. here? ..... In Agric you ask all these questions?? I brought out my envelope containing my documents and tried to bring out the letter. Before I could even open the envelope, the lady took the entire thing from me. And told me not to worry that she’d help herself. She even smiled.
I just sat there while they went through and logged down everything in the envelope. I spent another hour for all this. In the end I was the only Passenger left having spent a total of 4hrs…they apologized for keeping me and gave me my envelope (they kept making mistakes and retyping) and told me I could go. All this while they were all very courteous. I knew there was no way I would make my flight. By the time I was wheeled out, my fears where confirmed. I think I was the only passenger left in that airport. Time was almost 2am phoenix time. Got to AA stand and they confirmed I was delayed by customs and arranged for another flight for me for the next morning and then put me in hotel for the night.
In hindsight, the CBP officers that grilled me in Agric weren’t rude or anything….in fact they were very courteous to me but they did end up keeping me for 4hrs which was very unnecessary as far as i'm concerned...but hey! they probably were just doing their jobs.

16 Likes

Re: Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedures Part 2 by Riz2015: 4:52am On Mar 29, 2015
PetMe13:
Try Dr Jeanie Huynh at West Houston Medical Center. Her fee is 2000 whether vaginal or c section. Her email obgynh@yahoo.com. Be patient cuz they only reply emails on Tuesdays and Thursdays.

Thanks ever so much.I really appreciate your help.

I was wondering if someone can shed some light on this. I am on esta and I was given 90 days entry which is up on 22/04/2015 I would leaving USA on 16th, I have mailed them because my wife is 8 months pregnant she could not travel, because she has 6 months entry because she has b1/b2 visa. I have to travel back to take care of her, I have explained the situation, and asked them if I can travel straight back.thats the reply I had back from them.

o check the status of, print the status, update your application, update travel details, or make a payment, or receive a payment receipt, simply log back into the web site and submit the required information under the “Retrieve Application” section on the right hand side of the application. You will be asked to provide your application number, passport number, and date of birth. At this time, travel details, flight details, and the in transit field do not have to be updated. If you have an approved ESTA, you can travel to the US for less than 90 days - multiple trips. However, ESTA does not guarantee entry. You can be denied entry with an approved ESTA because it is up to the officer at the border to determine admissibility. According to U.S. Immigration Law, every alien shall be presumed to be an immigrant until they establish to the satisfaction of the CBP Officer, at the time of application for admission, that they are entitled to a nonimmigrant status. Therefore, the key is that the applicant always bears the burden of proof of admissibility that he/she is not trying to live in the U.S.
Any comment would be much appreciated, according to there email there is black and white rule which prevents me to travel back.
What do you guys think.
Regards
Rizwan
Re: Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedures Part 2 by supamom: 4:53am On Mar 29, 2015
MadameU:
Dear Nairalanders please is there any one that has travelled with a car seat and stroller back home using emirates? I would like to know if you were charged for the infant car seat, at check in was it counted against the baby's baggage allowance or just checked in without it counting against the baby's baggage allowance? Thanks all. God bless us all

Please am interested in this answer as i also have stroller and car seat and using emirates
Re: Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedures Part 2 by kizluv(f): 5:02am On Mar 29, 2015
supamom:

Please am interested in this answer as i also have stroller and car seat and using emirates

MadameU:
An infant on lap is entitled to one box, a stroller , a carseat, and a diaper bag on all international flights and most local flights...
Re: Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedures Part 2 by Amother4life: 5:41am On Mar 29, 2015
Riz2015:

What do you guys think.
Regards
Rizwan
Each approved ESTA application generally is valid for two years and allows for multiple visits to the United States within that period without having to apply for another ESTA approval. Travelers whose passports will expire in less than two years will receive an ESTA valid until the passport’s expiration date. As long as you are able to explain convincingly why you are returning on such a short notice I don't forsee any issues.

1 Like

Re: Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedures Part 2 by dere5: 5:42am On Mar 29, 2015
Riz2015:

I was wondering if someone can shed some light on this. I am on esta and I was given 90 days entry which is up on 22/04/2015 I would leaving USA on 16th, I have mailed them because my wife is 8 months pregnant she could not travel, because she has 6 months entry because she has b1/b2 visa. I have to travel back to take care of her, I have explained the situation, and asked them if I can travel straight back.thats the reply I had back from them.
Rizwan
I think what their reply to your email simply means is that the right to allow entry into the Us lies with CBP,which is same with everyone coming into the Us. All you have to do is explain yourself to the CBP officer on yor return if they ask why you are visiting twice in such a short time frame,that you accompanied your wife on the first visit and had to go back home and you are coming back to be with her during child birth, i dont see any problem there.

1 Like

Re: Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedures Part 2 by babyspice: 6:19am On Mar 29, 2015
On Emirates, a car seat is free and so is a stroller. it might be a toss up btw the two if the check-in staff decides to check in one of them with your own check-in luggage, i.e add the weight to you luggage. If your baby has a ticket AND a seat then you have no issues BUT if your baby is on your laps then he/she is entitled to 10k extra.

See the below the info from emirates website.

Passengers travelling with infants
passengers travelling with infants (under two years of age) on any route not including North or South America may check in up to 10kg (22lb) additional baggage, in addition to your usual baggage allowance.

Passengers travelling with infants (under two years of age) on any route that includes North or South America, may check one extra piece of baggage in addition to your usual baggage allowance, regardless of cabin class. This extra piece must be 23kg (50lb) or less, with total dimensions (length + width + height) not exceeding 115 cm (45 inches).

You may also bring one carry-cot or one fully collapsible stroller as a carry-on item if cabin space is available or as checked baggage at no extra charge.
MadameU:

1 Like

Re: Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedures Part 2 by supamom: 9:20am On Mar 29, 2015
@ķizluv and babyspice, thanks
Re: Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedures Part 2 by customised87: 9:51am On Mar 29, 2015
Pls, this question is for those that flew BA and added an infant on dre return leg especially those whose flight connected through American Airlines at some point. What was your baby allowed to carry as regards to baggage? M asking this question cos American airlines is saying i must pay 200$ for my baby's 23kg. Phema and others that flew with BA
Re: Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedures Part 2 by mabels: 9:58am On Mar 29, 2015
nefertitiram:

Just got my approval from office to take 6mths, instead of the regular 3 months. Ask and you shall receive.

Oh oh. The last maternity leave I took 6 yrs ago was for 16 wks and 6 months half day after resumption. Can't wait for fed govt to start giving 6 months.
Re: Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedures Part 2 by Doaahassan: 10:19am On Mar 29, 2015
[quote author=OMary83 post=32080154][/quote]

Hi,
Can you please e-mail me the maternity package of Centinela Hospital Medical Center or the hospital e-mail, my e-mail is dody_hassan@hotmail.com

Please advise if you know the most affordable doctor fee in LA.
thanks a lot
Re: Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedures Part 2 by nefertitiram: 10:32am On Mar 29, 2015
mabels:

Oh oh. The last maternity leave I took 6 yrs ago was for 16 wks and 6 months half day after resumption. Can't wait for fed govt to start giving 6 months.

Mine is a private company. I just tabled my case and it was approved on compassionate grounds
Re: Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedures Part 2 by Gracydee(f): 11:44am On Mar 29, 2015
nefertitiram:

Mine is a private company. I just tabled my case and it was approved on compassionate grounds

and the 6 months will be with full pay?
Re: Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedures Part 2 by OMary83: 12:34pm On Mar 29, 2015
[quote author=Doaahassan post=32124991]

Sent

1 Like

Re: Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedures Part 2 by nefertitiram: 12:35pm On Mar 29, 2015
Gracydee:

and the 6 months will be with full pay?

Yes o! Full pay

Actually, I will work "remotely from another location" for the 3 months because I mostly do brainwork and paperwork, so I can work from anywhere as long as there is a telephone and internet. Proper Mat leave will start a month to delivery, and run for the regular 3 months.
Thank God for his favor sha, I was preparing to forfeit the extra months till my boss suggested this model for me and got it approved.

2 Likes

Re: Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedures Part 2 by Fizzywah(m): 1:41pm On Mar 29, 2015
ozycy:
. Dr Geoffrey Zimmerman . Doctors fee 1400, circumcision 150, lab 75, hospital 3100. An still looking for accommodation, if you get any affordable one, pls let me know.

Hi,
Please can I get the Dr's contact (email) and also wondering if your accommodation has been sorted. We're planning on Houston at the same hospital. Kindly send the details to fuby4all@gmail.com

Thanks.
Re: Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedures Part 2 by Nita2013: 2:00pm On Mar 29, 2015
Hello MadameU, I came back to naija via emirates. U can check in carseat for free at d check-in counter as long as u r with an infant. For d stroller, check it in at d door of d aircraft so that when u get to dubai u can collect it as u r leavin d aircraft.

MadameU:

1 Like

Re: Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedures Part 2 by Gracydee(f): 2:48pm On Mar 29, 2015
grin grin grin
nefertitiram:

Yes o! Full pay

Actually, I will work "remotely from another location" for the 3 months because I mostly do brainwork and paperwork, so I can work from anywhere as long as there is a telephone and internet. Proper Mat leave will start a month to delivery, and run for the regular 3 months.
Thank God for his favor sha, I was preparing to forfeit the extra months till my boss suggested this model for me and got it approved.

Lucky you and favoured baby grin
nefertitiram:

Yes o! Full pay

Lucky you and favoured baby
Re: Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedures Part 2 by drafrican: 3:32pm On Mar 29, 2015
customised87:
Pls, this question is for those that flew BA and added an infant on dre return leg especially those whose flight connected through American Airlines at some point. What was your baby allowed to carry as regards to baggage? M asking this question cos American airlines is saying i must pay 200$ for my baby's 23kg. Phema and others that flew with BA
At check in just check your bag in to your final destination don't think it shud incure an extra cost if you check the bag right in to Nigeria ,it's stated on their web that if you don't check in your bag to final destination you may incur extra charges.best to email BA and print their reply.
Re: Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedures Part 2 by mumcshyn: 4:36pm On Mar 29, 2015
Hello E-fam pls I need ethiad lagos phone no,its urgent pls.God bless
Re: Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedures Part 2 by ozycy: 4:57pm On Mar 29, 2015
Fizzywah:

Hi,
Please can I get the Dr's contact (email) and also wondering if your accommodation has been sorted. We're planning on Houston at the same hospital. Kindly send the details to fuby4all@gmail.com

Thanks.
. Google his name you will see his contact, I don't think his email is online but I can remember somebody dropped his email after that my quote, I haven't settled accommodation yet, I saw some but still deciding.
Re: Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedures Part 2 by Fizzywah(m): 5:07pm On Mar 29, 2015
PetMe13:
Try Dr Jeanie Huynh at West Houston Medical Center. Her fee is 2000 whether vaginal or c section. Her email obgynh@yahoo.com. Be patient cuz they only reply emails on Tuesdays and Thursdays.

For those considering this Doctor.....check this out. https://www.ratemds.com/doctor-ratings/11813/Dr-T.%2BJeanie-Huynh-Houston-TX.html
The link reveals her reviews from patients. Hope it helps.

1 Like

Re: Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedures Part 2 by Shawbabe: 6:11pm On Mar 29, 2015
worry359:

So that people like you ask silly questions.
Are you going to add anything sensible to this topic or just question me?

Depends on whether ur slow brain will get it. u obviously wanna be noticed with all that bold. cheesy

@zeezahbee, o akwu kwu ko nwanne ya na do gi abi wetin

@nef and Tvegas, I'm good oh....hehee grin

2 Likes

Re: Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedures Part 2 by Adeniyitob: 6:32pm On Mar 29, 2015
Fizzywah:

For those considering this Doctor.....check this out. https://www.ratemds.com/doctor-ratings/11813/Dr-T.%2BJeanie-Huynh-Houston-TX.html

Very bad reviews indeed! I rem when I was tryn to make enquiry from all the docs affiliated with WHMC and I called her no,the receptionist that picked the call was so rude and was telling me if I cannot wait till Tuesday to get a response to my email I shouldn't bother sending an email.I did not even waste time before canceling her out from my options.
Re: Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedures Part 2 by DFJ12: 6:44pm On Mar 29, 2015
Pls who has used Detroit as POE pls?
Re: Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedures Part 2 by Nobody: 8:16pm On Mar 29, 2015
customised87:

Did you book your ticket all the way with BA? Or you booked AA seperately?

If you have just one ticket which includes AA, they will abide by their international flight rules. Call them and tell them its for an international flight. Your baby will be entitled to one 23kg bag (checked in), diaper bag (carry on), checked in car seat and stroller. I checked in my stroller at the boarding gate.

Donot forget to tell them you're checking in for the long haul so they check in your bags all the way to Lagos.
Re: Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedures Part 2 by Nobody: 8:22pm On Mar 29, 2015
slimwendy85:
Thanks phema.

Anytime babes
Re: Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedures Part 2 by slimwendy85: 9:12pm On Mar 29, 2015
Na wa o! Intown suites el paso aint smiling. 189.99 from 179.99. they have now added weekly technology fees of 5 dollars. It's time to start searching for apartments in el paso o! Please who has cheap accomodation up for grabs in elpaso fro june. Say a 2 bed room or something.
Re: Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedures Part 2 by bloggerina: 10:34pm On Mar 29, 2015
I can personally attest to fact that those negative reviews are wrong. Many people on this thread have used her and twas all gud. I think shez fantastic. HEr staff wEre great too. That's my personal experience. I wld def recommEnd Dr Huynh anyday.

Fizzywah:

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) ... (46) (47) (48) (49) (50) (51) (52) ... (333)

Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedures Part 4 / Polish Student Visa / Canadian Student Visa Thread Part 21

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 77
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.