Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,281 members, 7,818,951 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 08:50 AM

A Nairalander Needs You To Proffer Solutions Regarding Her Career Issues - Career (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / A Nairalander Needs You To Proffer Solutions Regarding Her Career Issues (14530 Views)

Meet The Graduate Who Dumped Her Career To Make Money Flaunting Her Bum Online. / See What Charming Actress Irewole Said About Her Career / Watch How Beautiful Yoruba Actress Started Her Career (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: A Nairalander Needs You To Proffer Solutions Regarding Her Career Issues by UGLYS: 4:46pm On Mar 05, 2015
MizMyColi:
Davide470
Tolutweety
Friedplantain
Smallpeepee
Uglys

Please help a sista smiley

Let the help begin with the hierarchy of quoted names.
Re: A Nairalander Needs You To Proffer Solutions Regarding Her Career Issues by MizMyColi(f): 4:48pm On Mar 05, 2015
UGLYS:

Let the help begin with the hierarchy of quoted names.

Naaahhh
Please, let's have your input.
Pleeeeaase.

*puppy face*

smiley
Re: A Nairalander Needs You To Proffer Solutions Regarding Her Career Issues by Jarus(m): 4:57pm On Mar 05, 2015
First, you assumed moving from one job to another is that easy. You wrote as if you have gotten the offer letter for another job, and 'boasted' of leaving this year. And the next moment, you're even talking about submitting CVs to websites. That is what you rely on to change job this same year?

I see oversimplication here.

That said, there is nothing wrong in being extremely hopeful as you are and it is good.

There is absolutely nothing wrong in enjoying the benefits offered by a company to the last minutes.

Companies themselves know this. So I don't see any reason why you shouldn't enjoy the course fees payment offer.

There is absolutely nothing ungrateful in leaving a company for better offer, inasmuch as you leave good (followed exit procedures) not that you just wake up one day and fail to report to work.

I understand that sometimes, working relationships tend to grow to passionate, emotional levels, but hey, this is about your career, your life.

I still have very cordial relationship with some of the companies I have worked. I go there, attend their end of year parties, still talk about them positively etc.

Once you have the offer in your hand, you ask to see your boss, thank him for the opportunity and training, and let him see reason why you're leaving. He will appreciate it.

Till you have the offer, don't ever talk exiting.

9 Likes 1 Share

Re: A Nairalander Needs You To Proffer Solutions Regarding Her Career Issues by kaboninc(m): 5:04pm On Mar 05, 2015
MizMyColi

There's something about 'youngsters'...we're wild, ambitious, strong, carefree, mobile and determined to extend our limits and push our boundaries. We want to be responsible, assume responsibilities and tasks and assignments, given goals, targets, experience challenges while we grow. In your own case, your company is even offering you an opportunity to be trained by them (someone considers you as an asset). That to me means they are 'somewhat' interested in your personal growth and development (like I said, to some extent).

However, you don't feel the vibe, you don't feel the drive, you seem not to be motivated and worse still, those who you look up to appear to be the cause. If you accept this offer, like someone rightly said, you will be 'glued' to that company for a long long time. Well you can resign but it could force the company to design a kind of pact that will seek to compel staff not to resign when they are being sponsored, also note that you may state this company one company you've worked with in your CV. Luckily for you, money is not an issue.

For me, I'll advice you start mapping your exist plan. Allow your mum to sponsor you and consider firms with better potentials and stable, dynamic structure. International Banks, Investment Banks, Telecoms, Mid-sized Professional Services firm are good companies.

You made mention of Account Management? To what extent?

2 Likes

Re: A Nairalander Needs You To Proffer Solutions Regarding Her Career Issues by kaboninc(m): 5:08pm On Mar 05, 2015
Jarus:

Without reference to the opening post,

I disagree with the bold.

Some jobs are actually time wasters, energy sapping and frustrating.
Re: A Nairalander Needs You To Proffer Solutions Regarding Her Career Issues by MizMyColi(f): 5:10pm On Mar 05, 2015
Jarus:
First, you assumed moving from one job to another is that easy. You wrote as if you have gotten the offer letter for another job, and 'boasted' of leaving this year. And the next moment, you're even talking about submitting CVs to websites. That is what you rely on to change job this same year?

I see oversimplification here.

That said, there is nothing wrong in being extremely hopeful as you are and it is good.

There is absolutely nothing wrong in enjoying the benefits offered by a company to the last minutes.

Companies themselves know this. So I don't see any reason why you shouldn't enjoy the course fees payment offer.

There is absolutely nothing ungrateful in leaving a company for better offer, inasmuch as you leave good (followed exit procedures) not that you just wake up one day and fail to report to work.

I understand that sometimes, working relationships tend to grow to passionate, emotional levels, but hey, this is about your career, your life.

I still have very cordial relationship with some of the companies I have worked. I go there, attend their end of year parties, still talk about them positively etc.

Once you have the offer in your hand, you ask to see your boss, thank him for the opportunity and training, and let him see reason why you're leaving. He will appreciate it.

Thank you for your input.
smiley

I have other modalities in place, just don't want to talk about them, seeing as they're still very much tentative.

I was looking to make the move next year, until I made my intentions known to friends, I didn't quite realize it's okay to start now.
I had thought it would be better to tell my boss first before starting any active job hunt. (Naïve me) embarassed

I'll most def keep your advice to heart.
Thanks again.

1 Like

Re: A Nairalander Needs You To Proffer Solutions Regarding Her Career Issues by pickabeau1: 5:11pm On Mar 05, 2015
Insight Communications

News24

Betty Irabor publishing coy

Dstv

COntinue doing your certifications (NIPR)

Its a matter of time

2 Likes

Re: A Nairalander Needs You To Proffer Solutions Regarding Her Career Issues by IDEApro(m): 5:17pm On Mar 05, 2015
o
Re: A Nairalander Needs You To Proffer Solutions Regarding Her Career Issues by MizMyColi(f): 5:25pm On Mar 05, 2015
kaboninc:
Miz MyColi

There's something about 'youngsters'...we're wild, ambitious, strong, carefree, mobile and determined to extend our limits and push our boundaries. We want to be responsible, assume responsibilities and tasks and assignments, given goals, targets, experience challenges while we grow. In your own case, your company is even offering you an opportunity to be trained by them (someone considers you as an asset). That to me means they are 'somewhat' interested in your personal growth and development (like I said, to some extent).

However, you don't feel the vibe, you don't feel the drive, you seem not to be motivated and worse still, those who you look up to appear to be the cause. If you accept this offer, like someone rightly said, you will be 'glued' to that company for a long long time. Well you can resign but it could force the company to design a kind of pact that will seek to compel staff not to resign when they are being sponsored, also note that you may state this company one company you've worked with in your CV. Luckily for you, money is not an issue.

For me, I'll advice you start mapping your exist plan. Allow your mum to sponsor you and consider firms with better potentials and stable, dynamic structure. International Banks, Investment Banks, Telecoms, Mid-sized Professional Services firm are good companies.

You made mention of Account Management? To what extent?

Okay first off, I want to say a [size=14pt]Big Personal Thank YOU![/size] to everyone who has commented on this thread, and to those who will.

I see your comments and I can tell you poured your hearts into it.
They're not chaffy.
You actually took time to read my epistles and you put yourself in my shoes before saying anything.

I do not make light of that.
Thank you.

@Kaboninc smiley
That is exactly what I'm doing starting today @exit plan.

Permit my brain to be lazy for a bit, but please could you mention them?
@firms I mean.

I have very strong values and an overly strong sense of right and wrong.
As it is now, I feel like I owe every living thing even when they've done nothing for me, how much more when they do.
I have seen varying opinions and would have to think this through.
My source within would have the final say though.
When he speaks, I'll know.

@Account management.
In advertising, this is basically what we call those who are responsible for managing a client and their business....in terms of sales, building rapport......
Now, I don't want to be limited to advertising.

I think of myself like an all weather.
If it involves people.
I can take on the job and make good of it.
All things being equal.

Ditto @TheEmboldened.
Re: A Nairalander Needs You To Proffer Solutions Regarding Her Career Issues by tolutweety(m): 5:31pm On Mar 05, 2015
Jarus:

And to reiterate what he just said;

_Drop your emotions for now,and build your career and life. Remember you come first, before others.
_Since you said in one your posts above that there is no avenue for the growth you want in that coy;please start sending cvs and applying to coys of your interest WITHOUT THEIR KNOWLEDGE.
_Enjoy whatever benefits given : If the company deems it fit to sponsor you, It's cos you earned it dear,not to tie you down on the job.
_And if and when the new offer eventually comes, Ensure you leave through the right channel; I am sure there is a reason why the exit procedures are put in offer letters.

Most importantly, I suggest you channel your energy into getting the desired job first. All these talks about emotions,benefits etc would settle itself when you get the dream job. smiley smiley

#my2Dollars

2 Likes

Re: A Nairalander Needs You To Proffer Solutions Regarding Her Career Issues by HFOG(f): 5:36pm On Mar 05, 2015
MizMyColi:

I just elaborated in my last post.
And thank you! @TheEmboldened.

I have a PC infront of me.
Unlimited internet.

I am practically answerable to myself.
Boss just travelled, I can sit here if I want.
No pressure. As a matter of fact, I can do anyhow I want.
But that is so not me.

I want to feel responsible, like I'm a part of something bigger.
I want to be engaged.
Walk, sit, write, do stuff.
I found myself in your shoes some five years or so ago. I was more or less in charge of everything only answerable to my boss. He trusted me absolutely and I obtained favour in his sight. I was even to hire & fire staff. I had a lot of time and other resources at my disposal. Then I thought about my childhood dream of owing a school. I shared it with my boss. Amazingly he gave me the liberty to take time off each day without a reduction in my pay. Not like I would have minded at all. That was how I began the school I presently run. As the school grew and my schedules increased I had to leave him. But it was so amicable that we enjoyed a good relationship till I lost his contacts. Now that I write books I look back now and wished I had maximized those days when I had a lot of time at my disposal. I've become a wife, mother and author now in addition to running my school let alone my spiritual responsibilities. So you can imagine what my schedules look like. I know you've got wide dreams. I just wish you'll pursue them now. There's no better time than now. Your future is already here. You someday would look back to this time and wish for it. All the best ma'am. Looking forward to feeling your impact someday, somehow, somewhere.

6 Likes 2 Shares

Re: A Nairalander Needs You To Proffer Solutions Regarding Her Career Issues by MizMyColi(f): 5:39pm On Mar 05, 2015
tolutweety:

And to reiterate what he just said;

_Drop your emotions for now,and build your career and life. Remember you come first, before others.
_Since you said in one your posts above that there is no avenue for the growth you want in that coy;please start sending cvs and applying to coys of your interest WITHOUT THEIR KNOWLEDGE.
_Enjoy whatever benefits given : If the company deems it fit to sponsor you, It's cos you earned it dear,not to tie you down on the job.
_And if and when the new offer eventually comes, Ensure you leave through the right channel; I am sure there is a reason why the exit procedures are put in offer letters.

Most importantly, I suggest you channel your energy into getting the desired job first. All these talks about emotions,benefits etc would settle itself when you get the dream job. smiley smiley

#my2Dollars

cheesy
This is more than two dollars.
Tanchuuu grin

I will start ASAP.
I've sent in my CV/cover letter to a friend for final vetting.

After all is said and done.
Let God's Will Be Done.
Re: A Nairalander Needs You To Proffer Solutions Regarding Her Career Issues by MizMyColi(f): 5:43pm On Mar 05, 2015
HFOG:

I found myself in your shoes some five years or so ago. I was more or less in charge of everything only answerable to my boss. He trusted me absolutely and I obtained favour in his sight. I was even to hire & fire staff. I had a lot of time and other resources at my disposal. Then I thought about my childhood dream of owing a school. I shared it with my boss. Amazingly he gave me the liberty to take time off each day without a reduction in my pay. Not like I would have minded at all. That was how I began the school I presently run. As the school grew and my schedules increased I had to leave him. But it was so amicable that we enjoyed a good relationship till I lost his contacts. Now that I write books I look back now and wished I had maximized those days when I had a lot of time at my disposal. I've become a wife, mother and author now in addition to running my school let alone my spiritual responsibilities. So you can imagine what my schedules look like. I know you've got wide dreams. I just wish you'll pursue them now. There's no better time than now. Your future is already here. You someday would look back to this time and wish for it. All the best ma'am. Looking forward to feeling your impact someday, somehow, somewhere.

Thanks Ma'am
Thank you.

It just might be that Abba's settled all this for me y'know...all I need do is walk into them.

@TheEmboldened.
Same here smiley

Let our voices be heard.
We won't stay below.

1 Like

Re: A Nairalander Needs You To Proffer Solutions Regarding Her Career Issues by zicoraads: 5:45pm On Mar 05, 2015
In as much as I would be the first to scream 'quit the darn job', I would say; thread carefully and think everything through. Be sure this is what you want and be certain you have every aspect of your exit plan covered. The fact is that a lot of Nigerians are unsatisfied with their present jobs. But in a society where opportunities are not readily available, one has to be very careful with the choices we make.

I for one have a target of this year. I have already started mapping out plans for my exit. I wouldn't want to leave and not have anything I want to do or anything to fall back on.

And as for the programme, I would say be very careful. Be sure the cost is something you might be able to refund if your company decides you should pay them back. But if your people can take care of it, then it's best you make use of this opportunity instead.

Finally, it's easier for someone who is in Europe or America to quit his/her job because he/she is not getting satisfaction or fulfilment from that job. We don't have that luxury in this part of the world. That job you want to leave, someone else would kill for it. So, it all boils down to this: weigh the pros and the cons... be sure the risk is something you can cope with. And then take it! After all, we only live once cheesy cheesy

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: A Nairalander Needs You To Proffer Solutions Regarding Her Career Issues by CrazyMan(m): 5:46pm On Mar 05, 2015
MizMyColi:

Good Afternoon Nairalanders

I have seen people get help from here; burdens made lighter. I'm confident mine won't be different
I could use varying opinions concerning certain issues I'm facing career wise.
Please no insults, no denigration. I earnestly look forward to your objective contributions.

Brief Background.

Roughly 2.5 years ago, I started work in an industry where I had little or no training. (my first job post NYSC).
However, I had hopes of becoming one of the best, seeing as I had a passion for the job. I had expectations too, in terms of working with a team, learning on the job and achieving new strides. Things haven't particularly panned out that way and I'm not feeling the job anymore. It's not like I'm having any difficulty here (matter of fact, I know people who are willing to be in my shoes), but I feel like I should be doing more at this stage of my life and that is so not happening. I've kinda lost my flair and zeal. Efforts to resuscitate those have proven quite abortive. I don't feel challenged here. I feel so "unbusy"........this has a lot to do with management.

1. I've started nursing ideas of leaving. I am well aware that I have to be sure of a new place before making any in-house move, but I feel like I don't know how I should approach my boss to state my case without brewing hate. Truth is, I feel like I owe him for showing me "the way" and I wouldn't want to come off as being ungrateful.......perhaps I'm being overly emotional?
Question is, incase it happens before or during the time I projected, how do I go about telling him? What do I say?
Its is absolutely normal to want a change of job, probably for reasons ranging from pay to career development etc.

But how you go about it matters a lot.

1. Get the job: In as much as you want a change of environment so badly, you still remain an employee of your boss. Until you get that new job, you still remain their staff.

So my advice to you is that while giving your best to your current place of work, map out time to search rigorously for another job. Never let your job hunting affect your commitment in your current place of work. Keep giving your best until you cease to become a staff of that company.

2 Inform your boss: After you must have gotten the new job, the next step is to inform your boss. Regardless of how well you and your boss get along, he should hear the news from you directly. You should know that casually mentioning your leaving (when you've gotten another job) to a co-worker can create an office wide rumor that may get to him before you break the news to him, causing him to feel disrespected or even misled. Don't disclose your intentions to leave with anyone at work until you've notified your boss.

3. Avoid a resignation letter: from your write up, its safe to say that you work in a private firm, and its also safe to conclude that you have a close relationship with your boss.

Most private firms unlike cooperate firms create a very strong relationship between the employee (your boss) and the employee (you). So in cases like that, I won't suggest you submit a resignation letter. Such in my opinion is unnecessary and may even offend your boss.

MizMyColi:
2. I registered for a professional course. Thankfully, I sponsored myself for part 1 and thankfully I had fine grades. Now is the time for part 2. Our head of accounts hinted me this morning that there are plans to support me this time. My parents have plans to support me too.
She happens to like me a lot (unavoidable emotional attachment) and has ordered me to write an internal memo, detailing expenses incurred during part 1.

Is it proper to tell her No, seeing as I have plans to leave this year?
If I say no, what would be my reason?
If I go ahead and submit the IM, wouldn't it look like I'm playing a fast one on my firm........perhaps, I'm being overly emotional again?
Like someone said earlier, its unwise to accept their sponsorship offer since you know deep down within you that you're planing on leaving. Its absolutely wrong and your boss wouldn't rest until you've paid back every penny the company spent on you for that course.

This brings us to your next question.

MizMyColi:

If I say no, what would be my reason?
Just tell her that your mum has agreed to sponsor you. That's a good reason and I believe she would understand.

MizMyColi:

3rd, And More Important
As a result of my time here, I have discovered my talent/passion lies basically in these fields:

*Administrative Roles
*Account Management and Client Relationship roles
*Public Relations

I have no idea where to start from.
Could you please suggest Quality and Standard firms/companies and their websites possibly, where I can submit an online CV/Covering Letter?

I'd appreciate all the help I can get.
Thank you in anticipation.

Please tag anyone you know that can proffer a way forward.

Thanks again
smiley
Banks.
Law firms
Insurance firms
Auditing firms

That should be a good start I believe.

I believe you're a lagos resident, so locating them shouldn't be very difficult for you.

Good luck.

3 Likes

Re: A Nairalander Needs You To Proffer Solutions Regarding Her Career Issues by MizMyColi(f): 5:50pm On Mar 05, 2015
zicoraads:
In as much as I would be the first to scream 'quit the darn job', I would say; thread carefully and think everything through. Be sure this is what you want and be certain you have every aspect of your exit plan covered. The fact is that a lot of Nigerians are unsatisfied with their present jobs. But in a society where opportunities are not readily available, one has to be very careful with the choices we make.

I for one have a target of this year. I have already started mapping out plans for my exit. I wouldn't want to leave and not have anything I want to do or anything to fall back on.

And as for the programme, I would say be very careful. Be sure the cost is something you might be able to refund if your company decides you should pay them back. But if your people can take care of it, then it's best you make use of this opportunity instead.

Finally, it's easier for someone who is in Europe or America to quit his/her job because he/she is not getting satisfaction or fulfilment from that job. We don't have that luxury in this part of the world. That job you want to leave, someone else would kill for it. So, it all boils down to this: weigh the pros and the cons... be sure the risk is something you can cope with. And then take it! After all, we only live once cheesy cheesy

Thanks Zic.
This time last year, Mum and Dad were clamoring that I leave.
It didn't feel right at the time, I told them so.

These days, it's the thought I wake up with.
There's gotta be something better out there, I hope.

I won't say I'm so confident, this is Naija.
But then again.......
*sighs*

I hope it gets easier.
Re: A Nairalander Needs You To Proffer Solutions Regarding Her Career Issues by MizMyColi(f): 5:55pm On Mar 05, 2015
CrazyMan:

Its is absolutely normal to want a change of job, probably for reasons ranging from pay to career development etc.

But how you go about it matters a lot.

1. Get the job: In as much as you want a change of environment so badly, you still remain an employee of your boss. Until you get that new job, you still remain their staff.

So my advice to you is that while giving your best to your current place of work, map out time to search rigorously for another job. Never let your job hunting affect your commitment in your current place of work. Keep giving your best until you cease to become a staff of that company.

2 Inform your boss: After you must have gotten the new job, the next step is to inform your boss. Regardless of how well you and your boss get along, he should hear the news from you directly. You should know that casually mentioning your leaving (when you've gotten another job) to a co-worker can create an office wide rumor that may get to him before you break the news to him, causing him to feel disrespected or even misled. Don't disclose your intentions to leave with anyone at work until you've notified your boss.

3. Avoid a resignation letter: from your write up, its safe to say that you work in a private firm, and its also safe to conclude that you have a close relationship with your boss.

Most private firms unlike cooperate firms create a very strong relationship between the employee (your boss) and the employee (you). So in cases like that, I won't suggest you submit a resignation letter. Such in my opinion is unnecessary and may even offend your boss.

Like someone said earlier, its unwise to accept their sponsorship offer since you know deep down within you that you're planing on leaving. Its absolutely wrong and your boss wouldn't rest until you've paid back every penny the company spent on you for that course.

This brings us to your next question.

Just tell her that your mum has agreed to sponsor you. That's a good reason and I believe she would understand.

Banks.
Law firms
Insurance firms
Auditing firms

That should be a good start I believe.

I believe you're a lagos resident, so locating them shouldn't be very difficult for you.

Good luck.

You are a very wise person.
Thank you.

About the letter, you got the scenario. I haven't even thought of it. He might tell me to put it in writing though.
But, like you said.....I will keep trying @giving my best.
It is the only real lifeline I have now.

Thank you, again.

1 Like

Re: A Nairalander Needs You To Proffer Solutions Regarding Her Career Issues by crackhaus: 6:53pm On Mar 05, 2015
Mizmycoli, my appologies first and foremost for not responding earlier despite your informing me about this - I fell asleep on the medications being pumped into my system and only just awoke.

The advice, insights, and recommendations you have gotten so far are hard to top I must admit, I deliberately took out time to read all of it up till this point.
However I must say this, do not make any attempt to exit your current place of employment before you are offered a suitable alternative that seems more your forte - remember you have to be sure you're being offered exactly what you want as regards your present ambition and career direction.

With regards to your present company, well I can't say I completely understand why you would want to be doing more and be more deserving of your pay because in my line of work, I would kill to have that much freedom and less responsibilities,Lol..
You could always request for more responsibilities if this is what you really need, you could also source for more clients on your own freewill and get yourself engaged on that - also I feel you might just need to start nursing the idea of starting out something on your own, this will definitely put a lot of the decision making in your hands.

For now, stay put and work on developing yourself with more certifications, building a stronger network of clients, and boosting your CV in the process.

Hope this helps...

1 Like

Re: A Nairalander Needs You To Proffer Solutions Regarding Her Career Issues by Jarus(m): 7:08pm On Mar 05, 2015
kaboninc:

Without reference to the opening post,

I disagree with the bold.

Some jobs are actually time wasters, energy sapping and frustrating.

Your disagreement is respected.
Re: A Nairalander Needs You To Proffer Solutions Regarding Her Career Issues by Loyalblak007(f): 7:09pm On Mar 05, 2015
Re: A Nairalander Needs You To Proffer Solutions Regarding Her Career Issues by Fosterbrand: 7:11pm On Mar 05, 2015
Re: A Nairalander Needs You To Proffer Solutions Regarding Her Career Issues by Dramadiddy(m): 7:20pm On Mar 05, 2015
I suggest u look for another job while having ur current one.. N please no matter how tempting it is, don't let them at the office sponsor you.. Cos one day you'lld wanna start working somewhere else and leaving them would make you feel bad.. Once people talk like that, they expect that you're theirs.. After all, they made u.. So I suggest u make urself.. If ur family wants to do the sponsoring, fine.. At least ur family won't tie u down d way that job will. It's not about money.. It's peace of mind

1 Like

Re: A Nairalander Needs You To Proffer Solutions Regarding Her Career Issues by nairabetguru(m): 7:31pm On Mar 05, 2015
[quote author=MizMyColi post=31326426][/quote]

I hate emmotional attachment........ Sum1 eventually gets hurt along the line

Am sorry but I can't help u
Re: A Nairalander Needs You To Proffer Solutions Regarding Her Career Issues by Euckybaby(f): 7:32pm On Mar 05, 2015
What ever you feel is best do. To me i won't advise you to continue disturbing your parent in your academics stuffs or anything. The have send you to university is time for you to do something to them not bouncing back and still asking them to finance you in anyway. Is time for you to show gratitude to your parent atleast your are not under 18. That's my own point of view. Discard if not meaningful. thanks

1 Like

Re: A Nairalander Needs You To Proffer Solutions Regarding Her Career Issues by Nobody: 7:35pm On Mar 05, 2015
MizMyColi:

Okay Thanks smiley

Kindly suggest possible professional courses in this your field as I know someone who is in this field too: sales and customer relationship management. He met yesterday asking for possible courses and where? Thanks.
Re: A Nairalander Needs You To Proffer Solutions Regarding Her Career Issues by gonon: 7:36pm On Mar 05, 2015
[quote author=MizMyColi post=31326426][/quote]

First of all, from what you have written, I'm guessing you studied accounting. Let me use myself as an example. I was in your shoes (am a Power Systems engineer) some years back before I went for my masters. For me I found the job not challenging enough / what I saw didn't tally with what I expected. My advice to you is 1) Among those 3 careers you listed, it's either you find a career path that encompasses them all or among them do a SWOT analysis and from there specialize in a niche (never generalise) and ride with that or 2) go into entrepreneurship.

1 Like

Re: A Nairalander Needs You To Proffer Solutions Regarding Her Career Issues by Nobody: 7:37pm On Mar 05, 2015
[color=#000099][/color]
Re: A Nairalander Needs You To Proffer Solutions Regarding Her Career Issues by Nobody: 7:54pm On Mar 05, 2015
Sweetie, be all you can be.
Pursue your passion, even if it means taking a risky and floundering plunge.

I am sure you know that staying in a job that doesn't give you satisfaction has a way of affecting your productivity thus making you redundant.

The feeling that leaving would make you seem like an ingrate only confirms you're human. It's okay to leave, as long as you follow due procedure.

Please don't let them sponsor your course, not because you don't deserve it. Considering the effort you have put in there - it wouldn't be so much of a pay back. tongue
__but knowing you a bit, I am sure you wouldn't feel good 'bout it in the long run(when you decide to leave).

In all, keep searching for another job. Don't quit the former.
I trust God to help you handle this situation. kiss

3 Likes

Re: A Nairalander Needs You To Proffer Solutions Regarding Her Career Issues by elyesh(m): 7:54pm On Mar 05, 2015
Op i feel ur pain cos i hv been in dat situation b4. Mine,immediately i graduated 4rm unijos dis man took me into his organisation and i started work with him,he taught me alot and exposed me to alot of people places and things and also business and gave me all i needed.when i wanted to marry he supported....etc.buh i started getting dissatisfied with the work and started seeing that i can do beeter and make more money 4 my family.it was difficult for me cos i started thinking he wil see me as an ungrateful person, so i went to an elderly pastor friend and when she finished hearing my story,she asked me whether i already had a place to go when i leave? When i said no, she asked me to stay untill my vision is clear and i hv another place.i did. I will advice u not to be in a hurry....buh u can always remind them that one day u will surely move on...thats my little contribution.

1 Like

Re: A Nairalander Needs You To Proffer Solutions Regarding Her Career Issues by Nobody: 8:11pm On Mar 05, 2015
MizMyColi:
Davide470
Tolutweety
Friedplantain
Smallpeepee
Uglys

Please help a sista smiley
MizMyColi, seems like came in a tad too late embarassed embarassed. I checked and read all the advice from the respondents above and it looks like everyone has said my mind. All in all, I know you are an intelligent lady and won't find any difficulty sieving out the right advice from this thread. There is nothing new from me to say here, just follow your heart ma'am. Wishing you the best of luck smiley

1 Like

Re: A Nairalander Needs You To Proffer Solutions Regarding Her Career Issues by DuchessLily(f): 8:15pm On Mar 05, 2015
Hmmm...if I were u, I would continue working there...till I can get something better

As for them sponsoring u further ur education, well u knw ur boss better as per the kinda person he/she is ... But I would take d offer ( na where person dey work e dey Chop)

If u stay, After d educatn programme, stay for a yr or two den look 4 something better or safe and set up ur own SINCE ITS A CAREER U LOVE
Re: A Nairalander Needs You To Proffer Solutions Regarding Her Career Issues by lordmario(m): 8:17pm On Mar 05, 2015
Reading through your post, I feel what you feeling right now and I understand your plight but the truth is this, you have to take a decision at the end of the day but whatever decision you take is going to be a hard one.
I was in similar position last year and it was hard for me too because I held my boss in high esteem too and couldn't face him with my resignation letter.
The truth has to be told, you have lost zeal, you have lost the will to push further. Why not sit down and face the fact, if you continue working without passion and zeal, and it starts affecting your job, won't you be served query and from that to sack? If you are sacked at the end of the day, won't you lose? There are limits to the patience of companys if you must know and like my boss used to say, emotions should never be attached to your job. They will not attach emotions to sacking you my dear.
Again about the issue of your professional training, if you are not going to stay, forget whatever they are offering you. It will be against your conscience,God and your boss.
Lastly, whatever takes away your passion will surely take away your happiness on the job, so I'd advice you take which makes you happy.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

What Was Your Childhood Ambition And Which Work Are You Doing Now? (Pic) / LPPC Shortlists 130 Lawyers For Award Of SAN Rank / Which Of This Skills Should I Learn

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 125
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.