Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,356 members, 7,819,276 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 01:38 PM

Lies That Have Been Told About Buhari. The Truth Part 1 - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Lies That Have Been Told About Buhari. The Truth Part 1 (1817 Views)

Top 8 Popular National Lies That Won’t Die In Nigeria - By Farooq A. Kperogi / #FreeEse:Emir Sanusi Denies Malicious Lies That Said He Refused To Help #freeese / what you weren't told about Aba protest today. many dead, 30 injured (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Lies That Have Been Told About Buhari. The Truth Part 1 by steadymind(m): 12:01am On Mar 06, 2015
In this 2 part series, I will attempt to show readers with a open mind that many of the Allegations against the Presidential Candidate of the All Peoples Congress (APC). Gen. Buhari are Lies, these allegations have been repeated on social and traditional Media.

Facts will be checked in a Question and Answer Manner.

Q: Did Buhari call for post election violence or ask his supporters to kill?
A: No.

This is Propaganda from the Ruling Party. See Video for details.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mZ5KQiIqikM

It should also be noted that the BBC carried out Buhari’s condemnation of the violence http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-africa-13126839 as well as his Facebook page https://www.facebook.com/votebuhari/posts/10150155911827734

What about the Dog and the Baboon Statement?

“za a yi kare jini biri jinni: The Battle will be Fierce. The parable of the Dog and the Baboon”
A fight between a dog and a baboon is highly unlikely, unless inspired by a human being.
In Africa and particularly in Hausaland where this highly unlikely idea was contrived as a proverb, such a fight can only happen under the influence of man when in hunting he sets the dog to catch the baboon or its baby. In that case, that fight would surely be one to witness.
The dog uses its power of speed and strong canine teeth, the baboon his powerful shoulders, limbs, claws, hands, and under extreme conditions, his teeth. And this condition is extreme – a fight for his life or that of his baby. So we better assume that the baboon will deploy his entire arsenal.
As the proverb depicts, the fierce fight ends inconclusively with both parties sustaining deeps cuts and innumerable browses. Each contender was lucky to survive it and returns to its shelter licking its wounds
When you tell your contender that za a yi kare jini biri jinni, it simply means the battle will be fierce. In the case of Buhari, he was promising his supporters from Niger State that 2015 elections will be fierce; or put in another way, the PDP wIll not have it easy. Simple.

How this simple statement translated into a political missile that says Buhari is promising a bloodbath come 2015 remains one of those sad stories in our practice of journalism.

Q:Did Buhari promise to make Nigeria ungovernable?
A: NO!

In 2010, as reported by various sections of the media, Lawal Keita, a PDP chieftain stated that if a person from the North did not win the 2011 elections, Nigeria will be made ungovernable .
Below are links to that effect as reported by the press when that statement was made.
http://www.pmnewsnigeria.com/2010/10/08/group-wants-kaita-tried-for-treason/
In April 2011, Reuben Abati slandered Buhari in The Guardian about same statements of making Nigeria ungovernable. Buhari sued Abati to court in 2011 for damaging his name. President Jonathan begged Buhari on behalf of Abati to settle out of court because Abati might end up in jail. On 11 July 2013 Rueben Abati and The Guardian published an unreserved apology to Buhari.

Q: Did Buhari cancel the Lagos Metroline project due to any malicious intent?
A: NO!

In January 1985 when the contract was cancelled, Nigeria was in the middle of a recession, brought on by the necessary belt tightening after the years of reckless excess under the Shagari administration, especially in the election year, 1983.
In October 1984 for example, Nigeria had unilaterally dropped the price of each barrel of exported Bonny Light crude by $2, thus putting her national interests ahead of OPEC’s cartel interests. Such short term economic pragmatism was the necessary order of the day. And even though it flew in the face of their consensus on prices and production, OPEC’s most important member, Saudi Arabia, acquiesced to such an unprecedented behavior by a member of the cartel because it was convinced of the precarious nature of Nigeria’s public finances.
Hence, despite over 10% (N80m) of the overall N700m 16-mile overhead railway project being already spent, the cancellation of the contract went ahead as the governing Supreme Military Council (SMC) accused the French consortium leader, Interfina, of excessive project costs. Interfina could not successfully defend such accusations.
The SMC was also quick to point out that despite Shagari’s accelerated timetable for the move of the Federal Capital to Abuja, new infrastructural spending would now have to proceed at a slower pace.
References:
1. African Business, December 1984
2. Financial Times, 28 January 1985
3. West Africa, 4 February 1985
4. West Africa, 11 February 1985
5. African Contemporary Record, (1984-1985)

Q: Did Buhari say Muslims should only vote for Muslim leaders?
A: NO.

In June 2001, Sheikh Sidi Attahiru Ibrahim launched his book at a Dan Fodio University event. General Muhammadu Buhari was invited to chair the event, where he spoke ex-tempore. Buhari Later contested the Presidential Elections 2 years Later in 2003.

Later that month, Buhari granted an interview to Rev, Fr. Matthew Hassan Kukah (present day Catholic Bishop of Sokoto) confirming what he said at the book launch. Here is the relevant portion of Kukah’s report on what Buhari said during their June 23, 2001 conversation (which was published in the Weekly Trust edition of July 6-12, 2001)

“During the course of my comments, I drew attention to the fact that the introduction of Sharia had become one of the main issues in this new dispensation. I explained that Sharia, however, has been with us well before the British colonized Nigeria. Now, Sharia has been introduced in many Northern states and Sokoto is one of the states that has already adopted Sharia. It must be pointed out however that Sharia is applicable only to Muslims. Those elements that have taken the law into their hands and use the opportunity to molest other non-Muslims are not helping the cause. What is amore, they are like bad policemen or judges who are making the enforcement of justice so difficult in Nigeria. Their shortcoming does not do the police force or the judiciary any good, but these acts do not detract from the imperative of both institutions. Midway through our democracy, we have time now to assess the situation on ground in terms of making our choice in the next elections. Vote for good men whether they are in Borno, Katsina, Sokoto or wherever. Vote for those who will protect your interest. This, Rev. Father, is the summary of every thing I said and the tapes are there.” (1)

At that time, there was actually no Controversy around the statements.

The controversy began when Ahmed Oyerinde, a long time Sokoto correspondent for ThisDay and other Newspapers, (who was not at the venue of the book launch when Buhari spoke) made up the false quote and reported this as fact in ThisDay. In the aftermath of his report, the tape of the event was played and no such statement was found there. Oyerinde later confessed to his Editors that he was not at the event and did not hear Buhari say any such thing. I was told that ThisDay later published a retraction of the report. (2)

For the record, Oyerinde, sadly now late, had been the subject of a disciplinary investigation by Nigerian Press watchdogs for allegations of taking money to write false and mischievous stories. The allegations were confirmed and he was reprimanded. One of these investigations dates back to 1990. (3)

Yet, despite Buhari’s many denials, and the defence of neutral observers like Fr. Kukah & Garba Shehu the peddlers of this lie keep repeating them maliciously.

REFERENCES:
1. Kukah, Matthew Hassan, Weekly Trust Newspaper, Abuja, July 6-12, 2001
2. Private conversation with a Senior ThisDay editor with close knowledge of the 2001 incident on Dec. 30, 2014
3. Shehu, Garba, Premium Times, http://www.premiumtimesng.com/opinion/106982-not-accepting-to-negotiate-with-boko-haram-could-hurt-buhari-by-garba-shehu.html

Q: Does Buhari like democracy, and does he deserve to govern in one (since he overthrew the Shagari government in 1983)?
A: Yes

While the December 31, 1983, coup ended the rule of Shagari’s National Party of Nigeria (NPN), the overwhelming view of the Nigerian populace at the time was very welcoming of the military’s intervention.

The Shagari regime had in four years run the economy badly and turned Nigeria into a civilian, dictatorial “one party state”.(1) Hence, it was no surprise that when “news of another coup reached the public, there was jubilation. People drank, danced and sang all over the country that the decadent, corrupt and directionless politicians had been wiped off the face of Nigeria’s political life. People called for ‘military rule for ever’. Others called for war on politicians, the execution of legislators, ministers, governors and top party men. Yet many remarked that ‘unless we do like Rawlings (who killed corrupt Ghanaian rulers in 1979), Shagari and his men will come back'”.(2)

Just before the 1983 elections, fear pervaded the land as senior NPN officials went around “boasting that there were only two parties in Nigeria – NPN and the Army”.(3) And even inside the other “party” (The Military), fear of the NPN wasn’t unfounded. The “police was equipped with Armoured Personnel Carriers, reinforcing suspicions that the NPN was not merely maneuvering to sustain its political ascendancy, but was also preparing to bully its way through the August 1983 elections, while furnishing itself with alternative defence in the event of a direct conflict with the armed forces.”(4)

Having now overseen a wholesale rigging of the elections across the country, with attendant bloodshed and violence by a Police Force doing the bidding of the ruling NPN, some of the Army’s leaders ousted the political class to prevent a bloody cleansing of the stables by junior officers. Such was the rot in the polity.

Buhari himself was later ousted by a palace coup in August 1985. After years of house arrest, and the eventual fall of the Soviet Union in the late eighties, he became a convert to the idea of liberal democracy.

At his Chatam House Speech, Buhari said:
"Permit me to close this discussion on a personal note. I have heard and read references to me as a former dictator in many respected British newspapers including the well regarded Economist. Let me say without sounding defensive that dictatorship goes with military rule, though some might be less dictatorial than others. I take responsibility for whatever happened under my watch.
I cannot change the past. But I can change the present and the future. So before you is a former military ruler and a converted democrat who is ready to operate under democratic norms and is subjecting himself to the rigours of democratic elections for the fourth time."
The following image is a news report from The Times of Saturday, January 7, 1984.
http://factchecki.ng/wp-content/uploads/2015/01/image.png

Lagos honeymoon for soldiers and civilians
REFERENCES:
1. ‘Season of Anomy’, Editorial, The Guardian (Lagos), 24th August 1983
2. Falola T, Ihonvbere J, ‘The Rise and Fall of Nigeria’s Second Republic’ (1985), p 228
3. Falola & Ihonvbere (1985), p. 226
4a. The Guardian (London), 11th January, 1984
b. T.Y. Danjuma, The Guardian (Lagos), 20 July 1986

[Both cited by Othman Shehu, Chapter 8 on ‘Nigeria’, in ‘Contemporary West African States’ (1989) by Cruise O’Brien and Others, pp 134-135]

Sources
http://www.premiumtimesng.com/opinion/5195-buhari_vs_pdp_the_dog_and_the_baboon.html
http://factchecki.ng/

Oluwole Isaac.

Source: http://www.nigerianeye.com/2015/03/lies-about-buhari-truth-part-1.html

6 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Lies That Have Been Told About Buhari. The Truth Part 1 by boriswole: 12:03am On Mar 06, 2015
Well written. No insults.

Can any Hausa Person corroborate the Dog and Baboon explanation?

3 Likes

Re: Lies That Have Been Told About Buhari. The Truth Part 1 by HrtBrkSteve(m): 12:07am On Mar 06, 2015
Waiting for part 2....
Informative and Enlightening

2 Likes

Re: Lies That Have Been Told About Buhari. The Truth Part 1 by olu77(m): 12:10am On Mar 06, 2015
Thank you for sharing the truth with the world.

Back then Nairalanders and Nigerians called for that animal Keita's arrest but our weak government turned a deaf ear.

https://www.nairaland.com/902626/northerner-must-emerge-2015-nigeria

3 Likes

Re: Lies That Have Been Told About Buhari. The Truth Part 1 by truenorth: 12:11am On Mar 06, 2015
PDP will soon Flood the thread with Insults. Face issues, they wont, they will be spreading lies. Shior
Re: Lies That Have Been Told About Buhari. The Truth Part 1 by obiZEAL(m): 12:12am On Mar 06, 2015
All I can say is; seun come and see this, I doubt u'll let the lies to continue after seeing this.
CC: lalasticlala

2 Likes

Re: Lies That Have Been Told About Buhari. The Truth Part 1 by Bamss1: 12:28am On Mar 06, 2015
truenorth:
PDP will soon Flood the thread with Insults. Face issues, they wont, they will be spreading lies. Shior
wetin those ones sabi..

1 Like

Re: Lies That Have Been Told About Buhari. The Truth Part 1 by kestolove95(m): 12:31am On Mar 06, 2015
Best post i'v read since I join dix pdpNairaland....dix supox dey. front page but. Ssince no b pdp post...na hia e go remain

1 Like

Re: Lies That Have Been Told About Buhari. The Truth Part 1 by bokohalal(m): 12:33am On Mar 06, 2015
Did Buhari military Government execute a woman drug dealer ( from my state of origin) ?
NO. NO . NO.
Re: Lies That Have Been Told About Buhari. The Truth Part 1 by GeneralBosco: 1:07am On Mar 06, 2015
PDP is just surviving on lies...it's very unfortunate that a number of unenlightened people in this time and era still believe Buhari is Bokoharam's sponsor. This is as a result of the "ungovernable statement" propaganda which Abati even had to apologize for. It's a big shame

1 Like

Re: Lies That Have Been Told About Buhari. The Truth Part 1 by olu77(m): 1:08am On Mar 06, 2015
bokohalal:
Did Buhari military Government execute a woman drug dealer ( from my state of origin) ?
NO. NO . NO.

Buhari's government executed one woman for drug trafficing. Thousands of women have died indirectly under the seldom look government of GEJ

Buhari took responsibility. GEJ blames the opposition.

2 Likes

Re: Lies That Have Been Told About Buhari. The Truth Part 1 by egift(m): 1:13am On Mar 06, 2015
Jonathan fail as a leader. With nothing to campaign on, all we get from him are lies, attacks and excuses.
Re: Lies That Have Been Told About Buhari. The Truth Part 1 by sammieguze(m): 1:31am On Mar 06, 2015
Now this is what i call a post.

Good research work op
Re: Lies That Have Been Told About Buhari. The Truth Part 1 by bokohalal(m): 1:43am On Mar 06, 2015
olu77:

Buhari's government executed one woman for drug trafficing. Thousands of women have died indirectly under the seldom look government of GEJ

Buhari took responsibility. GEJ blames the opposition.
Abeg, name the woman. Now I know that Nigerians have been fed lies and they believed.
Re: Lies That Have Been Told About Buhari. The Truth Part 1 by emeka2847: 1:59am On Mar 06, 2015
boriswole:
Well written. No insults.

Can any Hausa Person corroborate the Dog and Baboon explanation?
Hausa people have always explained it as above. But only PDP interpreted it as if it is not a proverb. If it is not a proverb what would bring dog and baboon into an election? How?
Common sense should tell us that this must be a proverb in another man's language.
Re: Lies That Have Been Told About Buhari. The Truth Part 1 by adebisiema(m): 2:07am On Mar 06, 2015
baseless propanganda.......[center]baseless propanganda.......[/center]baseless propanganda.......
Re: Lies That Have Been Told About Buhari. The Truth Part 1 by djfaithy: 2:10am On Mar 06, 2015
NEVER AGAIN, shall PDP sponsor a documentary to increase the popularity of GMB, bunch of short sighted mofos.... gringringrin

1 Like

Re: Lies That Have Been Told About Buhari. The Truth Part 1 by nzeadachie: 2:26am On Mar 06, 2015
AFTER MUCH MUCH, JIHAD BUHARI CAN NEVER RULE NIGERIA, BUHARI IS JIHADIST HE'S THE SAME THING WITH ISIS MEMBERS HE WANT NIGERIA TO PRACTICE SHARIA

Re: Lies That Have Been Told About Buhari. The Truth Part 1 by mistabiola: 3:12am On Mar 06, 2015
Respect man, nice piece

Re: Lies That Have Been Told About Buhari. The Truth Part 1 by Jaypea98: 3:18am On Mar 06, 2015
Pls Super Mods ,Pls do the needful.
..........................................Thanks
Re: Lies That Have Been Told About Buhari. The Truth Part 1 by sherrylo: 3:57am On Mar 06, 2015
OP leave those PDP agents alone we have decided
#GMB/PYO
Re: Lies That Have Been Told About Buhari. The Truth Part 1 by Nobody: 4:52am On Mar 06, 2015
Did buhari imprisoned ambrose alli, ajasin, alex ekwueme and co, and allowed his bro shagari to stay inside his mansion? Big fool OP!
Re: Lies That Have Been Told About Buhari. The Truth Part 1 by mailadedamola(m): 4:53am On Mar 06, 2015
Factual fact
Re: Lies That Have Been Told About Buhari. The Truth Part 1 by usbcable(m): 5:07am On Mar 06, 2015
If this dont get to FP BCOB today then I tire for whoever the super mod Seun employed for Nairaland.
Re: Lies That Have Been Told About Buhari. The Truth Part 1 by olaboy001(m): 5:47am On Mar 06, 2015
OP, I hope the PIPigs e-rat won't ask for your head when it get to FB...
Re: Lies That Have Been Told About Buhari. The Truth Part 1 by truenorth: 7:15am On Mar 06, 2015
Who is responsible for putting things on the Front Page.

Abeg, Come and Pless Ya Hand on the Thread o.
Re: Lies That Have Been Told About Buhari. The Truth Part 1 by sheymoni(m): 8:42am On Mar 06, 2015
Op God bless you for sharing this piece with us. It is very glaring that PDP are playing dirty & trying hard to tarnish peoples general's image but that will not stop me & my household & every sensible Nigerians to March4buhari

Sai buhari
Sai baba
Re: Lies That Have Been Told About Buhari. The Truth Part 1 by danot1030: 9:02am On Mar 06, 2015
Op you get time. Minds are made up, no amount Jonathan/pdp sponsored propaganda can dissuade the people from voting for Buhari, even the propagandist knows that he had a failed mission, so relax.
Re: Lies That Have Been Told About Buhari. The Truth Part 1 by politricks: 10:20am On Mar 06, 2015
Crewmuspost=31291335:
[size=16pt]A.I.T(A.P.T. INSTEAD) - AFRICAN PROPAGANDA TELEVISION![/size]

El-rufai has opened up in rebuttal against the unflattering video documentary Africa Independent Television (AIT) has been airing every night about the candidate of the All Progressives Congress, Genera Muhammadu Buhari.

Taking to his Facebook page, El-Rufai posted the following:

“Documentary: The Lies Of AIT/GEJ

AIT/GEJ Lied To Nigerians

1. Fela NEVER mentioned Buhari in $N2.8B scandal. He mentioned OBJ. AIT edited that part off.

2. Buhari did not expel Ghanians from Nigeria. Shagari of the NPN did. AIT made a FALSE assertion.

3. Gloria Okon did not disappear under Buhari it was under IBB and Dele Giwa was murdered for it.

4. GEJ went so low to bring Buhari’s daughters into politics. Can one use Dame’s inability to bear a child as a campaign issue?

5. Fela’s mother the GREAT Funmilayo Kuti died after OBJ Kalakuta in 1978 Buhari came into power in 1984.

6. All Politicians that was sentenced to prison by the 1984 Military Tribunal were found to either enrich themselves with public funds or diverted public funds. Non were convicted by fiat

7. GEJ and AIT went after Buhari’s late wife and daughter. How low and desperate can Jonathan get?

8. AIT/GEJ alleged that Buhari has been losing since 1999. This is a lie. Buhari’s first shot was in 2003. In 1999 Chief Olu Falae of ANPP/AD contested against Obj.

9. AIT/GEJ criticised Buhari for Heading PTF Board. Whereas, PTF is till date the most successful parastatal ever in Nigeria. Through PTF, the Amazon Dora Akunyili was known.

Vote for GMB/APC for Change in Nigeria. PDP propaganda is distasteful and obscene. Should be condemned by all.

The AIT documentary on Buhari will not make him less popular. President Jonathan is still playing catch up…”

http://www.nigerianmonitor.com/2015/01/29/9-ways-ait-and-jonathan-lied-in-their-buhari-documentary-el-rufai/
Re: Lies That Have Been Told About Buhari. The Truth Part 1 by truenorth: 11:16am On Mar 06, 2015
But how does one man survive all these lies?
Re: Lies That Have Been Told About Buhari. The Truth Part 1 by obiZEAL(m): 3:39pm On Mar 06, 2015
Ngwakwe, Afam4eva, seun...why now?
Re: Lies That Have Been Told About Buhari. The Truth Part 1 by azimibraun: 4:10pm On Mar 06, 2015
When i first heard of the now infamous '' BLOOD OF DOG AND BABOOD SOAKED IN BLOOD'' what i thought he meant was simply saying something like we all say in pidgin English if i no win '' YAWA GO GHAS'' i ddnt take it seriously becouse i know the naija languages and pidgin english has got plenty of ''MOUTH MAKING'' Braggadacio expression we use but dont mean.

(1) (2) (Reply)

Can Buhari Arrest Pres Jonathan On May 29? / FUEL SCARCITY: Funke Akindele Rides Bicycle To Church (see Photo) / Entitlements Of A Former Presidents Of Federal Republic Of Nigeria – NASS

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 70
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.