Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,652 members, 7,809,466 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 10:04 AM

Nigeria Ranks 3rd In World Population Growth - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Nigeria Ranks 3rd In World Population Growth (2252 Views)

FG Blames Energy Crisis On Population Growth / Nigeria Population Growth!!! Crisis Is Immnent If...... / Nigeria Will See The Fastest Urban Population Growth In The Next 40 Years. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Nigeria Ranks 3rd In World Population Growth by earTHMama: 7:35am On Jan 13, 2009
Nigeria ranks 3rd in world population growth

Monday, January 12, 2009
OF the 78 million people added annually to the world’s population of 6.8 billion, India and China get the gold and silver medals for the largest yearly contributions.

They currently add 17.2 million and 7.7 million people, respectively or 22 per cent and 10 per cent of the total yearly world increase. Nigeria gets the bronze by adding 3.4 million people annually, or 4.3 per cent of the global total, placing it well behind India and China in annual growth. Nigeria is the largest country in Africa and the eighth-largest in the world.

Closely behind Nigeria is Pakistan, which adds 3.1 million people annually or 3.9 per cent of the global total. Pakistan has grown rapidly, nearly quadrupling between 1950 and 2000, from 37 million to 144 million.

Pakistan’s current population of 167 million is expected to grow to 292 million by 2050. Pakistan will thus add 125 million people by 2050 compared to 73 million for China.

Indonesia adds 2.7 million people annually, or 3.5 per cent of the global share. With a population of 234 million, Indonesia is the largest Muslim country in the world.

http://odili.net/news/source/2009/jan/12/608.html
Re: Nigeria Ranks 3rd In World Population Growth by earTHMama: 7:36am On Jan 13, 2009
Who once said here our population will diminish by 2020?. We multiply everyday and prosper.
Re: Nigeria Ranks 3rd In World Population Growth by bawomolo(m): 8:12am On Jan 13, 2009
this is not a thumbs up considering our GDP is not increasing fast enough to match this population increase. subsaharran Africa is going to be faced with lots of unskilled youngsters with nothing to do. these kids are been born into nothing.
Re: Nigeria Ranks 3rd In World Population Growth by Nobody: 9:46am On Jan 13, 2009
Nigeria is now 8th most populous country in the world. We were 10th about 5 years ago. Lagos was then the 15th most populous city in the world.
Re: Nigeria Ranks 3rd In World Population Growth by Nobody: 10:06am On Jan 13, 2009
Jarus:

Nigeria is now 8th most populous country in the world. We were 10th about 5 years ago. Lagos was then the 15th most populous city in the world.

Any news on the position kano was then?
Re: Nigeria Ranks 3rd In World Population Growth by Epiphany(m): 12:59pm On Jan 13, 2009
Even tho i know it will amount to nothing, maybe Nigeria should go the way of China by ENFORCING 2 CHILDREN PER COUPLE (it is one child per couple in China). After the enforcement, there should be a means to 'adopt if you want more'.
Secondly, i have noticed that it is those in the lower echelon of society that keep giving birth to children. Most of my guys, who i would say are 'middle' class guys, i.e. bankers, oil guys, engineers, etc all have one or two kids. According to them, it is expensive looking after babies and kids. That said, you also see that it is the drivers, security men, gardeners etc, that have four or five kids and even more! When they have these kids, you find out that the kids are the ones that hawk, sell at mama put joints etc. Something should be done about this population explosion o. We cannot continue giving birth to children that will populate the world for nothing.
Re: Nigeria Ranks 3rd In World Population Growth by earTHMama: 3:35pm On Jan 13, 2009
Who lives in that God forsaken desert apart from gutter sniffers? undecided
Re: Nigeria Ranks 3rd In World Population Growth by Muza(m): 3:46pm On Jan 13, 2009
earTHMama:

@ RHC or is it Deepzone(tell me which u prefer),
u ar just so damn funny.Plz stop these clownish remarks,cut the bull$hit.
We all know(Including u) that Kano is better than Ekiti in all aspects,except of course,in assassins,
where Ekiti now holds the gold medal.
Re: Nigeria Ranks 3rd In World Population Growth by earTHMama: 4:35pm On Jan 13, 2009
We all know(Including u) that Kano is better than Ekiti in all aspects,except of course,in assassins,
where Ekiti now holds the gold medal.

Make una see this almajiri wey dey yab Ekiti. You guys hold the gold medal in genocide. At least, assassination is better than genocide/ethnic cleansing. tongue
Re: Nigeria Ranks 3rd In World Population Growth by jamace(m): 5:58pm On Jan 13, 2009
Kai, 2 op you stop pighting. Abi, I de craze? grin grin
Re: Nigeria Ranks 3rd In World Population Growth by Nobody: 11:14am On Jan 14, 2009
nuzo:

We are talking about city, not state. UN statistical sources put Lagos as 15th most populous city in the world, and with a growth rate of 5.8% per annum, it was projected to rise to 3rd most populous city in the world by 2015. By 2006 it was already ranked 8th.

However, with the outcome of 2006 census, all the statistical research agencies have reviewed their records, and from my latest research, Lagos is now ranked 14th most populous city in the world, as I type.

Kano? I can't see Kano on the list. Reason: I don't know.

earTHMama:

Haba, koto yen. Don't take it too far, Funmi.
Re: Nigeria Ranks 3rd In World Population Growth by FBS: 11:37am On Jan 14, 2009
I wonder where UN gets all these stats from. When the official census data is yet to be released or am I missing something here?
Re: Nigeria Ranks 3rd In World Population Growth by nigboy(m): 11:57am On Jan 14, 2009
Nigerians need to embrace family planning or we fact the consequences of population explosion
Re: Nigeria Ranks 3rd In World Population Growth by hajifaty: 1:20pm On Jan 14, 2009
Make una see this almajiri wey dey yab Ekiti. You guys hold the gold medal in genocide. At least, assassination is better than genocide/ethnic cleansing. tongue
[quote][/quote]

@earTHMama
Genocide and assassination belong to the same family circle
Re: Nigeria Ranks 3rd In World Population Growth by spikedcylinder: 1:26pm On Jan 14, 2009
When Sukura and Basira will not sit down in one place. Its to be going to look for men up and down they know. Why won't our numbers triple? tongue
Re: Nigeria Ranks 3rd In World Population Growth by FBS: 2:54pm On Jan 15, 2009
spikedcylinder:

When Sukura and Basira will not sit down in one place. Its to be going to look for men up and down they know. Why won't our numbers triple? tongue
let me guess, is your name Sukura or Basira? grin
Re: Nigeria Ranks 3rd In World Population Growth by tharma(f): 7:50pm On Jan 15, 2009
Jarus:

We are talking about city, not state. UN statistical sources put Lagos as 15th most populous city in the world, and with a growth rate of 5.8% per annum, it was projected to rise to 3rd most populous city in the world by 2015. By 2006 it was already ranked 8th.

However, with the outcome of 2006 census, all the statistical research agencies have reviewed their records, and from my latest research, Lagos is now ranked 14th most populous city in the world, as I type.

Kano? I can't see Kano on the list. Reason: I don't know.
Haba, koto yen. Don't take it too far, Funmi.

Reason because Kano is not a Mega city like Lagos. Sometimes ppl forget that there is difference between a city and state. The population given to Kano during the Census was not for Kano city but for Kano State. Lagos is State where everybody largely live in d city (correct me if Im wrong). But Kano have land mass with towns and villages.
Re: Nigeria Ranks 3rd In World Population Growth by tpia: 7:58pm On Jan 15, 2009
Re: Nigeria Ranks 3rd In World Population Growth by BOSS7: 8:05pm On Jan 15, 2009
I guess it's also imbibed in our mentality. Like the Yorubas say, "me ni Olorun wi" - God says we should have many!!!
Oh and in the Churches, the Bible says, we should be fruitful and multiply, It'll be very very hard to educate Nigerians about population growth, I concur, best of luck in getting Nigeria to admit reality!!!
Re: Nigeria Ranks 3rd In World Population Growth by earTHMama: 9:34pm On Jan 15, 2009
@earTHMama
Genocide and assassination belong to the same family circle

No they are not even close.

(1) (Reply)

The Loot Starring Chief James Ibori And Co. / Genocide: More Knocks For Awolowo By Respected Yoruba Elder Statesman. Must Read / Gov. Aliyu’s Dance Of Shame: His Dirty Deal With Zenith Bank Exposed

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 26
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.