Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,730 members, 7,809,800 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 03:12 PM

What Was The First Ever Religion To Be Created/practiced In The World? - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / What Was The First Ever Religion To Be Created/practiced In The World? (4679 Views)

Our Colonial Masters Used Religion To Enslaves Us / What Are The Benefits Of Believing In God Or Religion To Nigeria? / Islam Is GOD Almighty's Original Religion To All Of Mankind (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

What Was The First Ever Religion To Be Created/practiced In The World? by Sheenor: 11:22am On Mar 06, 2015
[size=16pt]Some will say Judaism, Christianity, Islam, Hinduism, Baha'ism.

The fact of the matter is they all believe they have been here since the beginning. Some go even further to assert that they existed before the creation. However, we all know the truth, don't we? Anyways, what's your say on this.[/size]
Re: What Was The First Ever Religion To Be Created/practiced In The World? by daimsy(f): 11:28am On Mar 06, 2015
I think it's Judaism because actually,that religion gave birth to the commandments which other religion built upon.Judaism can be said to be the foundational religion.
Re: What Was The First Ever Religion To Be Created/practiced In The World? by Tundenoni(m): 11:46am On Mar 06, 2015
paganism
Re: What Was The First Ever Religion To Be Created/practiced In The World? by davien(m): 11:46am On Mar 06, 2015
The first religion would be animism and anthropomorphic deity worship...Some Africans still practise animism..

Animism :

Animism is used in the anthropology of religion as a term for the belief system of some indigenous tribal peoples, especially prior to the development of organized religion.

Although each culture has its own different mythologies and rituals, "animism" is said to describe the most common, foundational thread of indigenous peoples' "spiritual" or "supernatural" perspectives.

The Animistic perspective is so fundamental, mundane, everyday and taken-for-granted that most animistic indigenous people do not even have a word in their languages that corresponds to "animism" (or even "religion"wink ; the term is an anthropological construct.

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Animism
Re: What Was The First Ever Religion To Be Created/practiced In The World? by johnydon22(m): 11:55am On Mar 06, 2015
daimsy:
I think it's Judaism because actually,that religion gave birth to the commandments which other religion built upon.Judaism can be said to be the foundational religion.

Nope judaism is a young religion compared to egyptian, mesopetiamian, ugarit and canaanites religions from whence it copied many of its myths and laws from..

Every culture and civilizations have their own religions and isreal is a young civilization compared to the ones i mentioned above...

1 Like

Re: What Was The First Ever Religion To Be Created/practiced In The World? by acenazt: 11:56am On Mar 06, 2015
in religious chronology,stonehenge,mesopotamian and sanskrit religions should be the oldest. hinduism,bhudism,zaroastranism,shinto,judaism etc are old too but calling christianity and islam old is not correct.
Re: What Was The First Ever Religion To Be Created/practiced In The World? by acenazt: 11:58am On Mar 06, 2015
and most of the stories from the christian old testament had been in other religions thousands of years before christianity. compare noah's story with the epic of gilgamesh from old babilonian religion

2 Likes

Re: What Was The First Ever Religion To Be Created/practiced In The World? by daimsy(f): 11:59am On Mar 06, 2015
johnydon22:

Nope judaism is a young religion compared to egyptian, mesopetiamian, ugarit and canaanites religions from whence it copied many of its myths and laws from..

really?
I was skeptical about my thought anyway.because I suspected that I may be wrong.thanks all the same.we learn everyday you know.
Re: What Was The First Ever Religion To Be Created/practiced In The World? by Blakjewelry(m): 12:05pm On Mar 06, 2015
Two of the most ancient form of religion can be trace back to Egypt and Mesopotamia. They can be regarded so because they are some of the known oldest civilization that put there their work into writing, and the bible book of Genesis hold it origin to them.
Re: What Was The First Ever Religion To Be Created/practiced In The World? by johnydon22(m): 12:07pm On Mar 06, 2015
daimsy:

really?
I was skeptical about my thought anyway.because I suspected that I may be wrong.thanks all the same.we learn everyday you know.

Most of the bible mythology and stories are from ancient mesopetamian mythology.. e.g the biblical story of creation, cain and abel is a kenite myth copied by the jewish scribes that wrote the adam and eve story, story of noah is a plaigaration of the mesopetamian flood myth more than a thousand years before... So many examples.. the egyptain Amun' ra covered more moral codes than the 10 commandments and it predates the 10 commandments by thousands of years... Myths are copied and reworked to suit your own culture

1 Like 1 Share

Re: What Was The First Ever Religion To Be Created/practiced In The World? by daimsy(f): 12:13pm On Mar 06, 2015
johnydon22:

Most of the bible mythology and stories are from ancient mesopetamian mythology.. e.g the biblical story of creation, cain and abel is a kenite myth copied by the jewish scribes that wrote the adam and eve story, story of noah is a plaigaration of the mesopetamian flood myth more than a thousand years before... So many examples.. the egyptain Amun' ra covered more moral codes than the 10 commandments and it predates the 10 commandments by thousands of years... Myths are copied and reworked to suit
your own culture
woow wooow! you seems to have in depth knowledge about this phenomenon.are you a religionist?
Re: What Was The First Ever Religion To Be Created/practiced In The World? by johnydon22(m): 12:19pm On Mar 06, 2015
daimsy:
woow wooow! you seems to have in depth knowledge about this phenomenon.are you a religionist?

I did my research hun...
Re: What Was The First Ever Religion To Be Created/practiced In The World? by daimsy(f): 12:26pm On Mar 06, 2015
johnydon22:

I did my research hun...
kk.you try sha grin
Re: What Was The First Ever Religion To Be Created/practiced In The World? by Sheenor: 1:29pm On Mar 06, 2015
johnydon22:

Every culture and civilizations have their own religions and isreal is a young civilization compared to the ones i mentioned above...

Has God ever instructed to worship only
him/her in any religious scribe? Why didn't Jesus, the Hindu Gods, Allah or other gods write about
themselves? How much can we believe in, these scribes aren't manipulated?
Re: What Was The First Ever Religion To Be Created/practiced In The World? by johnydon22(m): 1:32pm On Mar 06, 2015
Sheenor:

Has God ever instructed to worship only
him/her in any religious scribe? Why didn't Jesus, the Hindu Gods, Allah or other gods write about
themselves? How much can we believe in, these scribes aren't manipulated?

Those scribes copied and reworked myths from other civilization and most of the times adding their own views to it to suit their culture and belief..

Like the story of Moses mother putting him in a basket is just a fictional reworking of the story of sagon an ancient king of akkad.

None of these god commanded or wrote anything because none actually can be said to really exist outside the minds of the adherents.

1 Like

Re: What Was The First Ever Religion To Be Created/practiced In The World? by Sheenor: 1:36pm On Mar 06, 2015
johnydon22:

Those scribes copied and reworked myths from other civilization and most of the times adding their own views to it to suit their culture and belief..

Like the story of Moses mother putting him in a basket is just a fictional reworking of the story of sagon an ancient king of akkad.

None of these god commanded or wrote anything because none actually can be said to really exist outside the minds of the adherents.

Why is it so easy to believe in the Big Bang theory, but so hard to believe in God? Or even God exist??
Re: What Was The First Ever Religion To Be Created/practiced In The World? by davien(m): 1:42pm On Mar 06, 2015
Sheenor:

Why is it so easy to believe in the Big Bang theory, but so hard to believe in God? Or even God exist??
Because the big bang has evidence and is demonstrable(in the LHC) and "god" isn't.
Plus the theory isn't contingent on belief..."god" is contingent on belief.

1 Like

Re: What Was The First Ever Religion To Be Created/practiced In The World? by Sheenor: 1:59pm On Mar 06, 2015
davien:
Because the big bang has evidence and is demonstrable(in the LHC) and "god" isn't.
Plus the theory isn't contingent on belief..."god" is contingent on belief.

If for any contingent fact, the fact which explains it cannot be a necessary fact, otherwise would not be contingent, why is God's contingent will a necessary explanation of a contingent world?
Re: What Was The First Ever Religion To Be Created/practiced In The World? by johnydon22(m): 2:47pm On Mar 06, 2015
Sheenor:

I have not mentioned i believe in big bang theory, i simply say "I do not know".. That we do not know how something came to be doesnt mean we should come up with an archaic concept or primitive explanation that a deity did it.

Is it not a more noble thing to find out how these things came to be through careful study and scrutnization of available datas. than to kill our intellectual curiosity by just saying a deity did it?

The concept of God(s) is unproven and contradictory...
It was just a human idea to explain things that seemed complex to the men of then.

Ancient men believed the gods had a store room for rain and snow somewhere in the sky(book of job) cus they couldn't explain how these things happen so they just come up with god did it but now we know better than these things are all part of water circle and no store room is involved neither is any deity involved..

in terms of big bang THEORY let me define to you what theory is

(science) A coherent statement or set of ideas that explains [size=20]observed facts or phenomena[/size], or which sets out the laws and principles of something known or observed;[size=20] a hypothesis confirmed by observation, experiment[/size]
etc.

its left for you to decide what you want.. Big bang is still under study and can improve as more facts and observations are made...

But for me personally i do not claim to know how the world started cus i opened my eyes and saw the world, i wasn't there before the world.. so how am i supposed to possess such knowledge...

2 Likes

Re: What Was The First Ever Religion To Be Created/practiced In The World? by tartar9(m): 3:08pm On Mar 06, 2015
ISLAM
Re: What Was The First Ever Religion To Be Created/practiced In The World? by Sheenor: 4:26pm On Mar 06, 2015
johnydon22:

I have not mentioned i believe in big bang theory, i simply say "I do not know".. That we do not know how something came to be doesnt mean we should come up with an archaic concept or primitive explanation that a deity did it.

Is it not a more noble thing to find out how these things came to be through careful study and scrutnization of available datas. than to kill our intellectual curiosity by just saying a deity did it?

It was just a human idea to explain things that seemed complex to the men of then.

Ancient men believed the gods had a store room for rain and snow somewhere in the sky(book of job) cus they couldn't explain how these things happen so they just come up with god did it but now we know better than these things are all part of water circle and no store room is involved neither is any deity involved..

(science) A coherent statement or set of ideas that explains [size=20]observed facts or phenomena[/size], or which sets out the laws and principles of something known or observed;[size=20] a hypothesis confirmed by observation, experiment[/size]
etc.

its left for you to decide what you want.. Big bang is still under study and can improve as more facts and observations are made...

But for me personally i do not claim to know how the world started cus i opened my eyes and saw the world, i wasn't there before the world.. so how am i supposed to possess such knowledge...

Thanks so much for well explanatory write up. I don't know what to call you but i know you are really good. Lemme ask you this, is it thinkable that one day we will be able to prove with reasonable certainty the existence or the nonexistence of God?
Re: What Was The First Ever Religion To Be Created/practiced In The World? by Sheenor: 4:31pm On Mar 06, 2015
tartar9:
ISLAM

How can Islam be the first when we all know how it start
Re: What Was The First Ever Religion To Be Created/practiced In The World? by davien(m): 4:34pm On Mar 06, 2015
Sheenor:

If for any contingent fact, the fact which explains it cannot be a necessary fact, otherwise would not be contingent, why is God's contingent will a necessary explanation of a contingent world?
a fact is by definition a fact, it cannot change by definition if it is really one...
And you are merely employing special pleading in the bolded, what is/are "god/gods" that makes them/it unquestionable?
Re: What Was The First Ever Religion To Be Created/practiced In The World? by Sheenor: 4:49pm On Mar 06, 2015
davien:
a fact is by definition a fact, it cannot change by definition if it is really one...
And you are merely employing special pleading in the bolded, what is/are "god/gods" that makes them/it unquestionable?

God is highly, loftily superior to man, but other than that, it is His literal lack of capacity to lie, to make a mistake, to cheat, to be unfaithful, to be unaware, to be deceived; His moral perfection and uprightness, that is His unquestionable quality. In essence, God is unquestionable, if I may say, because of His excellent character and faithfulness, not merely because of His excellent status.

God almighty cannot be wrong and his judgments or actions cannot be questioned because of His greatness.

He his the highest authority in the world, everybody was accountable to him alone but he cannot be accountable to anybody.
Re: What Was The First Ever Religion To Be Created/practiced In The World? by johnydon22(m): 4:55pm On Mar 06, 2015
Sheenor:

Thanks so much for well explanatory write up. I don't know what to call you but i know you are really good. Lemme ask you this, is it thinkable that one day we will be able to prove with reasonable certainty the existence or the nonexistence of God?

The concept of God is a thing encompassed in the dimension of faith which itself is unreasonable.. cus people can have faith that a pink unicorn exists and it will in their mind.

Things that can be proven are things are things that can be termed materialistic.
This concept of God as portrayed by different religions is immaterial and therefore can not be proven.

Something that cannot be proven cannot be unproven either. . . if i claim i have a flying unicorn diamond horn, You will find it implausible but yet cannot prove that i don't even when you know i don't.

I on other hand have no proof that i have a flying unicorn but i believe it by faith.

Am not sure that the concept of God can be unproven since it's just a product of wild human imagination. .

1 Like

Re: What Was The First Ever Religion To Be Created/practiced In The World? by Nobody: 5:02pm On Mar 06, 2015
johnydon22:

The concept of God is a thing encompassed in the dimension of faith which itself is unreasonable.. cus people can have faith that a pink unicorn exists and it will in their mind.

Things that can be proven are things are things that can be termed materialistic.
This concept of God as portrayed by different religions is immaterial and therefore can not be proven.

Something that cannot be proven cannot be unproven either. . . if i claim i have a flying unicorn diamond horn, You will find it implausible but yet cannot prove that i don't even when you know i don't.

I on other hand have no proof that i have a flying unicorn but i believe it by faith.

Am not sure that the concept of God can be unproven since it's just a product of wild human imagination. .

Well, the definition of God is very vague. If a more precise definition/description is given, I'm sure it can be disproven and that's why theists stick with the vague metaphysical/philosophical definitions. If one was to say for eg, God was omnipotent and omnibenevolent, well, it's logical to conclude that he(that 'god' in particular) definitely doesn't exist. Hope you get my point.

1 Like

Re: What Was The First Ever Religion To Be Created/practiced In The World? by johnydon22(m): 5:04pm On Mar 06, 2015
DProDG:

Well, the definition of God is very vague. If a more precise definition/description is given, I'm sure it can be disproven and that's why theists stick with the vague metaphysical/philosophical definitions. If one was to say for eg, God was omnipotent and omnibenevolent, well, it's logical to conclude that he(that 'god' in particular) definitely doesn't exist. Hope you get my point.

Yeah i do... i didnt want to go into personal characteristics of the God(s) characters.
Re: What Was The First Ever Religion To Be Created/practiced In The World? by kingkaspa: 5:10pm On Mar 06, 2015
johnydon22:

etc.

Well said.

1 Like

Re: What Was The First Ever Religion To Be Created/practiced In The World? by davien(m): 5:11pm On Mar 06, 2015
Sheenor:

God is highly, loftily superior to man, but other than that, it is His literal lack of capacity to lie, to make a mistake, to cheat, to be unfaithful, to be unaware, to be deceived; His moral perfection and uprightness, that is His unquestionable quality. In essence, God is unquestionable, if I may say, because of His excellent character and faithfulness, not merely because of His excellent status.
We haven't even yet established that a "god" exists and you've already started listing out the characters you believe it to hold..

Now I would presume you take this qualities from the christian bible and so cherry-pick against the despicable deeds of the character portrayed(in the bible)...
So now tell us all why such a "lofty and superior" character would condone slavery(exodus 21)?

And if this character allegedly can't make a mistake what does your bible say in genesis 6;6?

"The LORD regretted that he had made human beings on the earth, and his heart was deeply troubled.

When one regrets an action,you take notice of the fact that a mistake has been made and that other ways might have yielded better results..

God almighty cannot be wrong and his judgments or actions cannot be questioned because of His greatness.
Again,the case of its existence has not been demonstrated nor evidential...so you can't draw tentative conclusions about "greatness", you can only set up a special bar(in your case,being unquestionable) for the character you believe in to sit on.

If "god" is so great why is it's doctrine a mere 2000 years old,and why borrow half of its theology(in this case,the old testament)from judaism that doesn't acknowledge his alleged son?

He his the highest authority in the world, everybody was accountable to him alone but he cannot be accountable to anybody.
So how can you give an account of greatness of your "god" if it cannot be accountable?
Wouldn't it be in itself a fallacy that one can account for "god" being good and ignore its despicable deeds( thus leading to special pleading)? undecided
Re: What Was The First Ever Religion To Be Created/practiced In The World? by Sheenor: 5:18pm On Mar 06, 2015
johnydon22:

Thanks once again, i like the way you reason. tho for me, i believe the existence of God and i worship him alone. We all are entitle to our belief sha.

Shalom.
Re: What Was The First Ever Religion To Be Created/practiced In The World? by johnydon22(m): 5:20pm On Mar 06, 2015
Sheenor:

Thanks once again, i like the way you reason. tho for me, i believe the existence of God and i worship him alone. We all are entitle to our belief sha.

Shalom.

Which of the God(s) do you believe? Zeus, yahweh, allah, osiris, odin, thor?
Re: What Was The First Ever Religion To Be Created/practiced In The World? by Sheenor: 5:59pm On Mar 06, 2015
johnydon22:

Which of the God(s) do you believe? Zeus, yahweh, allah, osiris, odin, thor?

Yaweh, Jehovah, Allah english name of the aforementioned is God. So i believe in God.

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Prophet Charles Anekwe Of Jesus Christ The Healer Church Of All Nation. / why Does Science Cotradict Religion? / Prophetic Outlook For Year 2024 By Dr D K Olukoya

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 80
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.