Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,307 members, 7,819,048 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 10:30 AM

Help - My Peugeot 406 Goes While On Motion - Car Talk - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / Help - My Peugeot 406 Goes While On Motion (6065 Views)

Would You Buy This 1982 Peugeot 504 Station Wagon For ₦6million? / How Do I Get The 4 Digit Code That Came With My Peugeot 406.. / My Car Is Stalling And Jerking When On Motion. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Help - My Peugeot 406 Goes While On Motion by badesco(m): 7:16pm On Mar 06, 2015
Can somebody help me out. My Peugeot 406 car suddenly goes off and when you restart it come up again. This issue has been on for sometime now. I have consulted about two rewires to do proper checks. it recommended that I change the fuel pump and service the nozzles. I service the nozzle. yet still the same. Can somebody in the house help me out.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Help - My Peugeot 406 Goes While On Motion by GAZZUZZ(m): 7:27pm On Mar 06, 2015
badesco:
Can somebody help me out. My Peugeot 406 car suddenly goes off and when you restart it come up again. This issue has been on for sometime now. I have consulted about two rewires to do proper checks. it recommended that I change the fuel pump and service the nozzles. I service the nozzle. yet still the same. Can somebody in the house help me out.

Clean stepper motor, located on throttle body, if it does not help, scan for errors and initialize auto adaptives using a pp2000 application (designed for just peugeots) if it still does not work, replace throttle body.
Re: Help - My Peugeot 406 Goes While On Motion by badesco(m): 7:40pm On Mar 06, 2015
Thanks for response, I will do as you advise. Can you tell me, how much will scanning cost?
Re: Help - My Peugeot 406 Goes While On Motion by DECOtech(m): 7:56pm On Mar 06, 2015
badesco:
Thanks for response, I will do as you advise. Can you tell me, how much will scanning cost?

Do you or your mech have a PP2000?
If not, I suggest you find someone who does

Ask the guy that first responded to your post. I he has it.
Re: Help - My Peugeot 406 Goes While On Motion by Ikenna351(m): 10:26pm On Mar 07, 2015
badesco:

When it comes to Peugeot, irrespective of model, engine model is first thing to identify before considering what or how to diagnose. 406 comes with various petrol engines, which a symptom like yours would need different approach on each of those engines.

For XU engines, I would clean and lubricate the steeper motor, reinitialized the steeper motor to work with engine ECU. If problem continues, I would scan to know the state of the rpm sensor (engine speed sensor). You can do this first.

For EW7 & EW10, I would do I explained above for XU engines.

For EW12, I would scan to know the state of rpm sensor. EW12 engine doesn't have steeper motor. Engine ECU controls the throttle body butterfly through the work of accelerator pedal sensor (TPS). I would also check there is no vacuum leak, especially on intake manifold (even though it should be less culprit for such symptom).

For ES9J4, I would remove the IAC, clean with carb cleaner and lubricate. Reinitialize IAC with injection ECU. Scan to know the state of rpm sensor.

For ES9J4S, would scan to the state of rpm sensor. J4S doesn't have IAC or Steeper motor. Bosch ME7.4.6 system controls the Motorized throttle body butterfly, just like EW12 engine.

So, identify first engine in your lion and know what and how to to troubleshoot.

Ikenna
Re: Help - My Peugeot 406 Goes While On Motion by abduyamta(m): 12:01am On Aug 25, 2017
badesco:

i know this has been here for a while. but i had similar problems and i had mine fix. so i'll be sharing it here for people that may face same issue with the 406 2.0 , ew10 and so on.

first, mechs will tell you its the fuel pump or coil or spark plugs the throttle module, idle state.

the solution is: 1st check your spark plugs they should have two pins on top instead of one. *ive attached a photo of the sample*
*this shouldn't cost you more than 4k. and when you are reading this and it cost more, trust me its a good investment

2ndly its highly possible your ECU (brain box) is three lines of parallel pins. *some wisdom i got this type gives alot of problems to 406. so you need to change it to a 2 serial pin ECU + entire cables connecting to the ecu on your engine. it connects to the engine block. sensors for temp, stepper motor, coil, idle air control valve. well almost everything thats under the hood.

this should cost you about 36k max. i had this done like last week, i got a friendly 26k bargain and it was goodbye to the misery. ive also attatched a 3 seial pin ecu to compare with yours.
i hope this helps someone.

regards

1 Like

Re: Help - My Peugeot 406 Goes While On Motion by Coldplay007(f): 12:13am On Aug 25, 2017
abduyamta:

i know this has been here for a while. but i had similar problems and i had mine fix. so i'll be sharing it here for people that may face same issue with the 406 2.0 , ew10 and so on.

first, mechs will tell you its the fuel pump or coil or spark plugs the throttle module, idle state.

the solution is: 1st check your spark plugs they should have two pins on top instead of one. *ive attached a photo of the sample*
*this shouldn't cost you more than 4k. and when you are reading this and it cost more, trust me its a good investment

2ndly its highly possible your ECU (brain box) is three lines of parallel pins. *some wisdom i got this type gives alot of problems to 406. so you need to change it to a 2 serial pin ECU + entire cables connecting to the ecu on your engine. it connects to the engine block. sensors for temp, stepper motor, coil, idle air control valve. well almost everything thats under the hood.

this should cost you about 36k max. i had this done like last week, i got a friendly 26k bargain and it was goodbye to the misery. ive also attatched a 3 seial pin ecu to compare with yours.

regards

LOL..
Re: Help - My Peugeot 406 Goes While On Motion by GAZZUZZ(m): 3:16am On Aug 25, 2017
this reply is legendary
Re: Help - My Peugeot 406 Goes While On Motion by kingreign(m): 7:42am On Aug 25, 2017
No be pijo?
Well e no concern me undecided
Re: Help - My Peugeot 406 Goes While On Motion by mammanbawa: 10:20am On Feb 16, 2019
Ikenna351:

When it comes to Peugeot, irrespective of model, engine model is first thing to identify before considering what or how to diagnose. 406 comes with various petrol engines, which a symptom like yours would need different approach on each of those engines.

For XU engines, I would clean and lubricate the steeper motor, reinitialized the steeper motor to work with engine ECU. If problem continues, I would scan to know the state of the rpm sensor (engine speed sensor). You can do this first.

For EW12, I would scan to know the state of rpm sensor. EW12 engine doesn't have steeper motor. Engine ECU controls the throttle body butterfly through the work of accelerator pedal sensor (TPS). I would also check there is no vacuum leak, especially on intake manifold (even though it should be less culprit for such symptom).

For ES9J4, I would remove the IAC, clean with carb cleaner and lubricate. Reinitialize IAC with injection ECU. Scan to know the state of rpm sensor.

For ES9J4S, would scan to the state of rpm sensor. J4S doesn't have IAC or Steeper motor. Bosch ME7.4.6 system controls the Motorized throttle body butterfly, just like EW12 engine.

So, identify first engine in your lion and know what and how to to troubleshoot.

Ikenna

Hello
Please I'm having an issue with my Peugeot 406 D9 with ew10 engine
The engine runs for some minutes when idling and goes off
It won't start again until after some time
it stop saying pumping fuel for sometime and it starts pumping all of a sudden
Sometimes it stops even while in motion
I changed my fuel pump 3 days ago and the stalling while in motion became less frequent
Sometimes it stalls even before traveling upto 5kms
Please help
Re: Help - My Peugeot 406 Goes While On Motion by Ebi4life: 8:49pm On Dec 19, 2019
my 406 prestige using xu10 engine is doing break and quench, and if I switch it on it will go off if I don't press the accelerator down for like 3 minutes. And after switching on, if I engage the clutch and gear it will go off. Also, any time I switch on the car AC, the engine will start overheating, but if I off the AC, it will not overheat. I need your advice.
Re: Help - My Peugeot 406 Goes While On Motion by clintocho: 8:00pm On Sep 13, 2021
Good day guys.
I recently got a Peugeot 406 2004 model from someone.
The engine was weak so I got a good Peugeot mech to ring it and he did a good job, the engine is perfect now with AC system running.
But I have a problem, the car goes off once I slow down and apply full clutch and break to stop mostly at traffic.

This becomes frequent mostly when AC is running.
I have changed fuel pump, coil and nozzles yet no good news.

Initially it goes off while in motion but an electrician scanned and cleared some errors and it stopped.

Now I am faced with this persistent issue of "break and quench"

Please any help?

Clinton

abduyamta:

regards
Re: Help - My Peugeot 406 Goes While On Motion by okoroemeka(m): 9:20pm On Sep 13, 2021
Ikenna351:

Ikenna
this is really confusing,how possible can a single model the 406 has so many different engines and variants,from this post i can see the xu,e7,e10,e12,es9j4,es9j4s,xu10,etc,for example the 03-07 Honda Accord has only the k24 four cylinder and j30 v6 engines,I think it just too much having so many different engines on one car model.

2 Likes

(1) (Reply)

24,000 Polaris Slingshots Recalled Due To Seat Belt And Seat Slider Issues / How Do I Know If A Used Car Airbag Is Still Intact? / Top 10 Causes Of Car Fires

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 49
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.