Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,522 members, 7,819,880 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 04:48 AM

My Boyfriend Demands I Change My Church After Marriage - Family (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / My Boyfriend Demands I Change My Church After Marriage (22486 Views)

Why Do Things Change After Marriage? / Life Before Marriage Vs Life After Marriage (photos) / Advice Me: My Father In Law’s Culture Demands I Sleep With Him Before Marriage (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: My Boyfriend Demands I Change My Church After Marriage by Noneroone(m): 5:41am On Mar 10, 2015
firetrap:

my reply to this is still the same as the one you quoted but I'll add a little more for you. people come here and quote passages from the bible to suit their agenda. the bible does not say the woman must attend the mans church, the bible didn't say the woman must do everything her husband tells her even if it is against her belief.

Families like yours are the type where women are to be seen and not heard because it seems that if a woman says something she believes in its either she gets shouted down or gets beaten up.

you said I may not be as lucky as my mother in marriage and I tell you that a good marriage doesn't need luck what it needs is understanding and mutual respect and Gods good grace and neither of those is lacking in my household.
my post is meant to be an advice!
Re: My Boyfriend Demands I Change My Church After Marriage by firetrap(m): 7:02am On Mar 10, 2015
Noneroone:
my post is meant to be an advice!

then I gladly refuse to take that sort of advice
Re: My Boyfriend Demands I Change My Church After Marriage by nannymcphee(f): 7:10am On Mar 10, 2015
tgirl1986:

They pray to Jehovah in the NAME OF JESUS. say what you know.

Thanks but care to expan ? How do they Start their prayer or end their prayer

The typical Christian starts by saying in Jesus name or father in the name of Jesus then ends the prayer in Jesus name

Or starts the prayer without mentioning Jesus but ends it in the name of Jesus
Re: My Boyfriend Demands I Change My Church After Marriage by smartigo: 8:22am On Mar 10, 2015
Joy1706:

Please! You and I both know that worshipping in the same church is not a guarantee that the marriage will last.

Does marrying someone that goes to your church guarantee the marriage will last?
Recently a pastor...i dont want cite examples cos there are many. Apply wisdom lady. Some christian ladies sef.smh
Re: My Boyfriend Demands I Change My Church After Marriage by aperture11: 9:22am On Mar 10, 2015
Joy1706:

Finally! Someone gets me.
What I don't get is why you would come ask this question when you already have an answer you want to hear. You agree with people who say what you want to hear. I am not an advocate of denomination, it is not compulsory you marry this guy. You know he feels strongly about this. When you say you are not feeling the presence of God in his church, you need to ask yourself fundamental truths. Knowing God has nothing to do with FEELINGS. This is where several Christians get it wrong.

You have heard gospel from your pastor for a long time and you probably think that your pastor has the monopoly to the knowledge of God's word. If you are sure this church believes the bible and in our Lord Jesus' Christ, ain't nothing wrong attending his church and buying the messages of your own pastor. You can plead to go to your own church once in a while. Gosh! you are not even married yet.

More importantly, it is not compulsory you marry this guy, you can marry in your denomination if it matters this much to you. God won't be angry you did.
Re: My Boyfriend Demands I Change My Church After Marriage by bornmekus: 9:22am On Mar 10, 2015
Bootybuttchic:
So when you get married you want to attend a different church right?is he worshiping a lesser God in his church or is there a network connection that makes prayer get to God faster in ur church,cos i dont think God uses network to hear,u just have a common nigerian issue too,muslims and christians hardly go into marriage together due to religion differences...,now you in a christian to christian relationship is having issue just because of differences in place of worship,are you worshiping the church or God?do they mark register in your church?did ur pastor meet his wife (who am sure stands/sits on the alter with him every sunday)in his church before marriage?i dont know how many of u christians think?church to worship shouldnt be an issue,if u trully love your man and you take his as ur bone of bone like your pastor wil tel u when your wedding,,i dont see why you would want to go seperately to church,imagine attending church a day after wedding people start asking where is ur husband undecided ...and if u feel you have ur church click/members that u still want to be see-ing,then you guys can make it two sundays in your church and two in his'....anyhow how it suits you.....and if u feel because he wants u to attend his church when u marry,means he doesnt love then goodluck,break up with him,that ur church brother will come soon,and if he doesnt and u clock 30, ,please dont come to nl to shed mgeke tears and open threads on" please how do i find the right man":-D :-Dansa= HE Is by the left grin grin
You have said it all, if she has ears she will hear
Re: My Boyfriend Demands I Change My Church After Marriage by funarosho(m): 11:27am On Mar 10, 2015
nannymcphee:

recipe for disaster!!!!!!

Jehovah witness believes Jesus is not God but he is the son of God

living faith believes Jesus is son of God and God at the same time God

they dont pray in the name of Jesus

they dont celebrate birthdays

amongst all other things!!

imagine junior telling that to your face or that the Holy spirit is not God but a force

you better have a rethink!!!!!!!!!!
hmmmm thanks man
Re: My Boyfriend Demands I Change My Church After Marriage by CLASSMAN: 1:26pm On Mar 10, 2015
funarosho:
I'm also in D's kind of stuff ooo. she b Jehovah witness and I'm a living faith member . we av both talked abt it and we both agreed to go for wateva we want but d children will choose who to follow .
I boy forget this relationship it can never I repeat never work out, I am talking from first hand experience
Re: My Boyfriend Demands I Change My Church After Marriage by Nobody: 9:33pm On Mar 10, 2015
[quote author=nannymcphee post=31475179]

Thanks but care to expan ? How do they Start their prayer or end their prayer

The typical Christian starts by saying in Jesus name or father in the name of Jesus then ends the prayer in Jesus name

Or starts the prayer without mentioning Jesus but ends it in the name of Jesus[/quote

I remember when Jesus taught his disciples how to pray the first person he addressed in the Lords prayer was the father, "OUR FATHER who art in heaven. He didn't say start with me or pray to me. Rather he said, ask in my name... i am the way...no one comes to the father except through me... I hear them mention the the name of the father Jehovah at the beginning of their prayers and at the end say in "JESUS NAME AMEN".
Re: My Boyfriend Demands I Change My Church After Marriage by funarosho(m): 10:39pm On Mar 10, 2015
CLASSMAN:

I boy forget this relationship it can never I repeat never work out, I am talking from first hand experience
hmmm bros it seems u r so sure ooo
Re: My Boyfriend Demands I Change My Church After Marriage by nannymcphee(f): 6:39am On Mar 11, 2015
tgirl1986:

thanks would have argued more but I'll take a pass.

the intended recipient of my original post got my point. Thanks once more
Re: My Boyfriend Demands I Change My Church After Marriage by Joy1706(f): 4:31pm On Mar 11, 2015
CashdownNG:

madam just saw a couple of your posts and I'd like you to know NOW that someone like you can't have a lasting marriage.. not a curse like our obsessed over superstitious Nigerians world say but the fact.

all your threads are all on feminine domination and is definitely not what feminism is about. it's about giving women a voice and a fair shot not making them the loudest voice

see your threads na..

what happens when a woman earns more, my husband commanded me etc...

so me saying that you have marriage potential issues is definitely spot on.

on the last note.
life is fair, not equal.. that's how it is and would always be.
My dear na u sabi abeg
Re: My Boyfriend Demands I Change My Church After Marriage by Joy1706(f): 4:36pm On Mar 11, 2015
Bootybuttchic:
dont mind the op.read most of her posts and realised shes the proud and stubborn type...its the guy i pity
Madam pity urself since you're the lowly and docile type
Re: My Boyfriend Demands I Change My Church After Marriage by pbs4real(m): 5:03pm On Mar 11, 2015
Joy1706:

Madam pity urself since you're the lowly and docile type
som1 is telin u d truth,u dre arguing. .huh?
Re: My Boyfriend Demands I Change My Church After Marriage by CashdownNG: 5:04pm On Mar 11, 2015
Joy1706:

My dear na u sabi abeg

yimu...
Re: My Boyfriend Demands I Change My Church After Marriage by Nobody: 5:00am On Mar 12, 2015
Joy1706:

I must not be on the same spiritual level as my spouse

Sorry to say,this statement has proved that you are not mature.Does attending d same church with him put u on d same spiritual level with him?So long he attends a bible believing church,there is no biggie.You people are now one moreover its too early to start disobeying
Re: My Boyfriend Demands I Change My Church After Marriage by Noneroone(m): 9:16am On Mar 12, 2015
firetrap:

then I gladly refuse to take that sort of advice
...at your own risk
Re: My Boyfriend Demands I Change My Church After Marriage by CNN80: 5:24pm On Mar 13, 2015
Joy1706:
I told him even as my husband, he can only ask me to change my church after marriage but that the decision is mine to take. And that religion is a very personal issue, it's not something that can just be decided for a person esp an adult.

Then he says it seems like I won't be a submissive wife bla bla bla. Did I say something wrong?

This is from personal experience. Please end the relationship. Your faith IS a personal thing between you and God and if you don't think that his church will satisfy your spiritual needs, then respect yourself and leave.
Re: My Boyfriend Demands I Change My Church After Marriage by achinaboy(m): 8:25pm On Mar 13, 2015
Joy1706:

Well done! Am I asking him to leave his church and join mine? Why can't I worship in the church I want and he in his?
u can as well date whom ever u wana date,and he can date who he wants to,then in the evening when both of u are at home,u can sleep in the room u wants to,and him likewise,,also have a baby with whom ever u wants to have a baby with,this is a free world and marriage should not be a prison my sister
Re: My Boyfriend Demands I Change My Church After Marriage by sisisioge: 10:01am On Mar 20, 2015
Mariojane:
LET HER PEOPLE BE HIS PEOPLE ND HER CHURCH HIS CHURCH HER GOD HIS GOD or ids dt too much to ask from a guy to sacrifice to his wife?

Mario, this is Africa where the man 'weds' the woman...she takes up everything about him- name, family, church, friends, enemies, etc grin grin grin though some guys who weren't particular about church before marriage just follow their wives to whichever chosen by them(wives).
Re: My Boyfriend Demands I Change My Church After Marriage by phabulous88(m): 7:20pm On Mar 20, 2015
Joy1706:
I told him even as my husband, he can only ask me to change my church after marriage but that the decision is mine to take. And that religion is a very personal issue, it's not something that can just be decided for a person esp an adult.

Then he says it seems like I won't be a submissive wife bla bla bla. Did I say something wrong?

Lol grin
Re: My Boyfriend Demands I Change My Church After Marriage by neocortex: 2:28pm On Jul 10, 2015
Bootybuttchic:
So when you get married you want to attend a different church right?is he worshiping a lesser God in his church or is there a network connection that makes prayer get to God faster in ur church,cos i dont think God uses network to hear,u just have a common nigerian issue too,muslims and christians hardly go into marriage together due to religion differences...,now you in a christian to christian relationship is having issue just because of differences in place of worship,are you worshiping the church or God?do they mark register in your church?did ur pastor meet his wife (who am sure stands/sits on the alter with him every sunday)in his church before marriage?i dont know how many of u christians think?church to worship shouldnt be an issue,if u trully love your man and you take his as ur bone of bone like your pastor wil tel u when your wedding,,i dont see why you would want to go seperately to church,imagine attending church a day after wedding people start asking where is ur husband undecided ...and if u feel you have ur church click/members that u still want to be see-ing,then you guys can make it two sundays in your church and two in his'....anyhow how it suits you.....and if u feel because he wants u to attend his church when u marry,means he doesnt love then goodluck,break up with him,that ur church brother will come soon,and if he doesnt and u clock 30, ,please dont come to nl to shed mgeke tears and open threads on" please how do i find the right man":-D :-Dansa= HE Is by the left grin grin

All you did is blaming that girl for what is obviously not her fault.
People are different , and there are some things I wouldn't give up
no matter the price.
I believe the OP shouldn't bulge if compromising will make her unhappy.
Marriage is a journey of a lifetime not few days.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

My Wife Takes More Instructions From My Mom Than Me / My Friend's 11-Year-Old Daughter Steals / Woman Gives Birth To Quadruplets After Barreneness (PICS, VIDEO)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 58
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.