Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,714 members, 7,809,705 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 01:39 PM

Can Someone Be Both A Christian And A Muslim - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Can Someone Be Both A Christian And A Muslim (822 Views)

10 Practical Ways To Battle Sexual Temptation In A Christian's Life / Things That A Christian Shouldn't Buy Or Sell / I Am A Christian And Love God But I Still Keep Fornicating (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Can Someone Be Both A Christian And A Muslim by Epi: 12:55am On Jan 14, 2009
Can someone be both a Christian and a Muslim?

*****edit**** I just found this article after posting my question

I am both Christian and Muslim

Shortly after noon on Fridays, the Rev. Ann Holmes Redding ties on a black headscarf, preparing to pray with her Muslim group on First Hill.
On Sunday mornings, Redding puts on the white collar of an Episcopal priest.
She does both, she says, because she's Christian and Muslim.
Redding, who until recently was director of faith formation at St. Mark's Episcopal Cathedral, has been a priest for more than 20 years. Now she's ready to tell people that, for the last 15 months, she's also been a Muslim — drawn to the faith after an introduction to Islamic prayers left her profoundly moved.

http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/html/localnews/2003751274_redding17m.html
Re: Can Someone Be Both A Christian And A Muslim by SisiJinx: 1:05am On Jan 14, 2009
Yes.
Re: Can Someone Be Both A Christian And A Muslim by olabowale(m): 1:24am On Jan 14, 2009
She will inshaAllah gradually move away from Christianity to full fledge Islamic faith. There is no way a person can be a muslim and christian together. Islam destroys the Trinity or partnership with God the Almighty. That simple. Her heart will be filled with the sweetness of faith soon. She will just have to leave disbelief alone.
Re: Can Someone Be Both A Christian And A Muslim by duduspace(m): 1:54am On Jan 14, 2009
Why not? she is only trying to keep all her bases covered grin, she might also want to add Buddhism, Krishna, et al in the near future.

She is only erring on the side of caution as opposed to typical Agnostics, the dear soul is simply confirming by her action that she can't really decide which is real out of God and Allah.

I expect to see more of this as people face up to the reality of things and not get brainwashed into a narrow mindset about religion and it is a good thing cos it might help solve some of the problems religion has caused in the world.
Re: Can Someone Be Both A Christian And A Muslim by Sapphic: 2:37am On Jan 14, 2009
Technically, Yes. But actually believing in and practising both religions, No.

olabowale:

She will inshaAllah gradually move away from Christianity to full fledge Islamic faith. There is no way a person can be a muslim and christian together. Islam destroys the Trinity or partnership with God the Almighty. That simple. Her heart will be filled with the sweetness of faith soon. She will just have to leave disbelief alone.

LOL. . . this is not a thread for your Islamic fundamentalist views Mister. It is your own Islamic religion that is a religion of disbelief. Nonsense Jagbajantis. Obviously, the so called "destruction" is ineffectual. If it wasn't you would not have billions of people who today are Christians and who believe in the trinity, nor will you have Christianity being the top religion based on the number of practitioners (So I'd say the destruction was pretty much nothing but a damp squib). undecided
Re: Can Someone Be Both A Christian And A Muslim by rubi(f): 2:43am On Jan 14, 2009
No you can't serve two masters at the same time
Re: Can Someone Be Both A Christian And A Muslim by osisi2(f): 5:55am On Jan 14, 2009
Some Muslims in Western Nigeria shout glory!,attend crusades,go to churches and to mosques
They quote Bible passages like no man's business and ask for prayers when in trouble
Yes there are Islamobaptists and Chrislams grin
Perhaps inquisitive minds
Maybe they are the ones trooping to Christ at the end of the day.
Let them keep hearing the word.
The word works
My good friend in the midwest (USA) was once like that,today she's a Christian and  married to one and her whole family  members including her dad are now Christians
Re: Can Someone Be Both A Christian And A Muslim by arramyjay: 9:48am On Jan 14, 2009
Yes,gosh we attach so much sentiments to religion.
Re: Can Someone Be Both A Christian And A Muslim by Nobody: 10:16am On Jan 14, 2009
Redding, who until recently was director of faith formation at St. Mark's Episcopal Cathedral, has been a priest for more than 20 years. Now she's ready to tell people that, for the last 15 months, she's also been a Muslim — drawn to the faith after an introduction to Islamic prayers left her profoundly moved.

She has been a priest in a cathedral for 20 years. 15 months ago, she was profoundly moved by Islam after an introduction to Islamic prayers. Now she is already calling herself a Muslim,openly. She 's still in a transition state. She will eventually drop Christianity for her new-found religion. This is discernible from the story.
Re: Can Someone Be Both A Christian And A Muslim by Magz(m): 5:06pm On Jan 14, 2009
Yes you can.

I am.

There is only one God anyways. And, the true meaning of "Christian" is not supposed to be "Christ-worshipper", but "Christ-like". Anyone can be Christ-like, including servants of Allah (God).

rubi:

No you can't serve two masters at the same time

You are kinda wrong here. Understand me: There is only one God! Muslims may call him Allah, Rastafarians may call him Jah, and Chrsitians may call him Jehovah, but we all know and worship the one and true God and Creator of the Universe.

I am a Rasta. We are Christian, Buddhist, Muslim, etc, Rasta teaches that God is Universal, and he comes to us in many ways. Jah speaks every language and dwells within the hearts of all. There is no such thing as "two masters".
Re: Can Someone Be Both A Christian And A Muslim by Shaz(f): 5:28pm On Jan 14, 2009
@Magz,

Being A Christian and A Muslim, what happens to the trinity? Are there days you believe in it and the other days, you don't?

@Topic,
I don't think you can be of both religions truthfully. I've read of the two Holy books to discern that there are too many differences. .the superficial religious followers will say it's possible to be Christian and Muslim, but indeed, that is not possible.
Re: Can Someone Be Both A Christian And A Muslim by osisi2(f): 5:32pm On Jan 14, 2009
I wonder what she does about the part where Christ says "I am the way,the truth and the life,no one can come to the father,except through me"
Confused woman.
did someone say episcopalian priest?
she's probably gay too
Re: Can Someone Be Both A Christian And A Muslim by JJYOU: 5:40pm On Jan 14, 2009
this is what the inter faith movements do with peoples mind. shame. this is a confused woman
Re: Can Someone Be Both A Christian And A Muslim by JeSoul(f): 6:03pm On Jan 14, 2009
Can someone be both a christian and a muslim?
   No.

Can a deluded someone be both a christian and a muslim?
  Yes.
Re: Can Someone Be Both A Christian And A Muslim by Magz(m): 6:19pm On Jan 14, 2009
Shaz:

[color=olive]@Magz,

Being A Christian and A Muslim, what happens to the trinity? Are there days you believe in it and the other days, you don't?

I don't believe in the Trinity. I believe only in God Almighty. God spake through his commandment: Thou shall put no other "god" before me.

I also do not believe this:

"I am the way,the truth and the life,no one can come to the father,except through me"

^^This was never spoken by God. I know, because these words defy and contradict the very nature of our All-powerful and All-loving God. God is not prejudiced. He does not reject his people, whom he loves, because of discrepancies created by man-made religions. Bear in mind that God is creator of man, but man is the creator of religion. Regardless of what road we take to the Lord or how we communicate with him, he loves and cares for us all equally. There is no right or wrong way to express your Love for Him. We must always try to depend on our direct relationship with God, instead of worrying about another man's interpretations. There are no rules as to who can worship in what way and who cannot. It is not even within the scope of human ability to judge such matters.
Re: Can Someone Be Both A Christian And A Muslim by morpheus24: 6:29pm On Jan 14, 2009
Magz:

Yes you can.

I am.

There is only one God anyways. And, the true meaning of "Christian" is not supposed to be "Christ-worshipper", but "Christ-like". Anyone can be Christ-like, including servants of Allah (God).

You are kinda wrong here. Understand me: There is only one God! Muslims may call him Allah, Rastafarians may call him Jah, and Chrsitians may call him Jehovah, but we all know and worship the one and true God and Creator of the Universe.

I am a Rasta. We are Christian, Buddhist, Muslim, etc, Rasta teaches that God is Universal, and he comes to us in many ways. Jah speaks every language and dwells within the hearts of all. There is no such thing as "two masters".

Please define a Rasta for me cause I've see a lot of you go mental smoking that shit and claiming it is the healing when in actuality that shit is frying your brain cells
Re: Can Someone Be Both A Christian And A Muslim by Magz(m): 6:53pm On Jan 14, 2009
Rasta is Love. Rasta is creation. Rasta is individual, inside of me and you too. Rasta teaching is that tolerance, peace and respect for nature and fellow man are important. We believe in total non-violence, non-hate, and in wisdom for ourselves and for the youth. We are natural and charitable to the poor. We do not worship idols or material things. We do not cut our hair or drink alcohol, nor kill animals for the sake of eating them. We respect the ways of others, and don't force our ideas on others. Most importantly, Rastafari teaches that God is internal, that He dwells within our hearts and that we have our own direct relationship with God, not dependent on others but only Jah and ourselves. We believe in using our own wisdom and logic, and not being mislead by any type of wickedness. We do not believe in fornication, things that symbolize violence or wickedness, or celebrating pagan holidays.

Many Rastas also consider Halie Selassie I of Ethiopia to be a prophet in the same way that Christians consider Jesus Christ. However, I do not. Selassie himself was a Christian and encouraged his followers to become well versed in the Bible. Also, many Rastas say that it is sacrilege to not smoke chalice. Logic proves this false in my opinion. It does have healing powers, but you cannot be a glutton over anything. Ganja is a gift of God, but I do not take even that for granted.

In summary, Rastafari is in your heart, so it will vary wildly depending on who you are or who you ask. But the bottom line is, God is Love. God is creator of all, and that is it. We give our lives to God and God only, and this is it. You know? Beauty, Peace, Strength, Knowledge, all that is good is Jah, and we seek Jah in all that we do.
Re: Can Someone Be Both A Christian And A Muslim by Nobody: 6:55pm On Jan 14, 2009
Magz:

^^This was never spoken by God. I know, because these words defy and contradict the very nature of our All-powerful and All-loving God. God is not prejudiced. He does not reject his people, whom he loves, because of discrepancies created by man-made religions.

Really? Very interesting.
Re: Can Someone Be Both A Christian And A Muslim by osisi2(f): 7:46pm On Jan 14, 2009
The rasta Christian also chooses what the Bible says to suit him
na wa.
Re: Can Someone Be Both A Christian And A Muslim by Magz(m): 9:36pm On Jan 14, 2009
**osisi:

The rasta Christian also chooses what the Bible says to suit him
na wa.

LOL What do you mean??
Re: Can Someone Be Both A Christian And A Muslim by kolaoloye(m): 9:30am On Jan 15, 2009
Let no one deceive you,here is the reason why it is impossible for anyone to be a Muslim and a Christian altogether.
Bible says"for God so loved the world that He gave His only begotten son----' while
Koran says: "Allah is One and He is too holy to begot a son-----'
The difference is clear, you can only serve a master at a time.
Re: Can Someone Be Both A Christian And A Muslim by Nobody: 5:21pm On Jan 15, 2009
You cannot be a Muslim and a Christian at the same time.
Re: Can Someone Be Both A Christian And A Muslim by Leilah(f): 8:35pm On Jan 15, 2009
You are not supposed to be, but you can be.
Re: Can Someone Be Both A Christian And A Muslim by Pepeye(f): 9:51pm On Jan 15, 2009
nope

you got to choose one
Re: Can Someone Be Both A Christian And A Muslim by kolaoloye(m): 12:40pm On Jan 16, 2009
Leilah:

You are not supposed to be, but you can be.
how possible is it
Re: Can Someone Be Both A Christian And A Muslim by olabowale(m): 2:42pm On Jan 17, 2009
@**Osisi: « #6 on: January 14, 2009, 05:55 AM »

Some Muslims in Western Nigeria shout glory!,attend crusades,go to churches and to mosques
They quote Bible passages like no man's business and ask for prayers when in trouble
Yes there are Islamobaptists and Chrislams
Perhaps inquisitive minds
Maybe they are the ones trooping to Christ at the end of the day.

See what I mean? You can't serve The God and gods. Allah (The God) says in Hadith Kursi that where He is, Shaitan (gods in this case) can not be there. These Western Nigerian "glory shouting, church going, bible passage quoting, christian prayer asking, etc," muslims are not muslims. Unfortunately, they are my people; humans like me. I agonize for them, not because of their tribal alignment with me, but because they are humans. I agonize just th same way about you or anyone. But hey, Hell is a taker of all comers. Paradise is very selective. The main ingredient for Paradise is Allah's Mercy. But His Mercy will not come to disbelievers. The believers will have to come to Him for Mercy. They have to shed off the garment of disbelief.

Let them keep hearing the word.
The word works
My good friend in the midwest (USA) was once like that,today she's a Christian and married to one and her whole family members including her dad are now Christians

Most of the people of Hell are well known by their disbelief. Some of the people of Hell may not be known because of their hypocrasy. But Allah knows the knowns and the unknowns. And by the way, some of my friends from Wastern Nigeria are muslims; Alhaji Okeke for example. Muhammad in New York City, is another. And my better half is another. So let the disbelievers among the Yorubas and the Hausas, etc go. We will seek the best of hearts among the Eastern Niigerians to replace them. Those who know that the inheritance of Paradise is not by hanging on a man dead on the cross, or robbing your body with some blood. You dont have to sing all day long to receive the Mercy of allah. All you have to do is obey Him and seek His Forgiveness, in hope and belief.

I wonder if these yoruba people, quote Psalm or New Testament, when they seek these prayers? Its ironic that the one who the Psalm is revealed to is labelled as an adulterer and murderer by the Christians. Was King Prophet David a New Testament person or Christian? Is the revelation of Jesus not enough?

**Osisi, am asking you because I want to know if Jesus is not enough for you. Afterall, the laws, and the prophets are both nailed to the cross. Lol. Na wa.
Re: Can Someone Be Both A Christian And A Muslim by babs787(m): 3:31pm On Jan 17, 2009
@OP

You can do the two together but its advisable to stick to one because the two religion differ in one way or the other.

You cannot claim to be a muslim and still believe in trinity, sonship, saviour etc stuff which go against christian teaching and you cannot claim to be a christian and still not believe that Jesus is a son of God, was sent to the world as saviour, was God etc which runs contrary to Islamic belief

So it would be better to stick to one and known for that.
Re: Can Someone Be Both A Christian And A Muslim by elsegulla: 9:10pm On Jan 17, 2009
simple you cannot serve God and mammon, it is also written that you should not be luke warm (sit on the fence i.e be in between ) because if you are God will spew you out of his mouth

(1) (Reply)

Gay madness / What Happened To Your Spiritual Life After You Left Home? / .

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 46
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.