Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,845 members, 7,817,505 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 01:25 PM

How Did Nigeria Get Here? A Must Read! - Culture - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / How Did Nigeria Get Here? A Must Read! (621 Views)

How Did A Single City (benin) Conquer An Entire Region (SW)? / How Did You Become Certain There Is No God / How Can Nigeria Get Her Groove Back? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

How Did Nigeria Get Here? A Must Read! by justiceman: 7:15pm On Mar 09, 2015
Nigeria's value system is lost. In this country, we will not pardon a waec student who makes 8 alphas and 1 fail in English language to gain admission into our university but we can pardon a president who dictates 8yrs without restoring electricity ad-mist oil wealth.

We can afford to subsidize corruption in the oil sector with 1.5 trillion annually but we cannot afford to spend same amount annually to restore electricity or create jobs. We can afford to jail a student for exam malpractice but we can easily pardon a governor or president who steals our collective wealth. We shout "Theif" when the boy that stole a chicken passes, and we shout "King" when the person that stole billions passes.

When we're around the corridors of power, we realize how difficult it is to govern people, but when we're being governed, we realize how wicked and insensitive our leaders can be. We tell our poor citizens to cut their 1 meal per day to half as sacrifice to the nation, but we buy more dogs and domestic pets who will need to be fed double rations daily.

We cannot afford to build research and skill development centers but we can afford to build expensive town hall meeting centers. Each political party in Nigeria cannot specifically state any developmental project they have done for the citizens to earn them a ticket to aso rock, but they can afford to spray money on the citizens as dividends of democracy when election time comes. We would gladly encourage our son who is struggling with life to marry a lady from a good home who will support him in life, but we will never give out our daughter in marriage to another man who is starting up in life.

We live as brothers with other Nigerians and Africans in foreign lands, but we live as foes in our own country and in our homes. Whenever you hear people shouting in the legislature, you think that something good is about to happen, only later will you realize that money was shared but some people were left out.

Its time to acknowledge our failures. Our cultures were designed to identify and unite us but they have only succeeded in separating us. Our cultures were designed to make life easier for us but we have only succeeded in using them to make life unbearable for ourselves and corrupt the society. We must act now to save our country.

Rather than go to club and dance to avoid the stress of this great nation, sit down for a moment and ponder on how you can add a little drop to its development. Rather than go to a beer parlour and drink to stupor with friends, invite them over to your house to deliberate on how you can collectively do something good for your country no matter how little.

Rather than rent an apartment for a lady where you can sneak in and out of sexual immorality, look at that your brother or sister who is unemployed and genuinely needs help to do something for him/herself and stop being a burden to you. Rather than say "This country is useless, say "This country will be better if i do something good". Rather than say "I just want something good for myself, say "We can all have something good if we collectively demand for it".

Rather than call others "jobless and frustrated", see the potentials in them which need a little help to manifest.

Finally, rather than close this page and move on, LIKE THIS PAGE ON FACEBOOK as a continuous reminder of what you can do to make this country a better place. God bless you.

Source: https://www.facebook.com/WhichWayNigeria/posts/306680082738653

2 Likes

Re: How Did Nigeria Get Here? A Must Read! by ceexcel(m): 12:11am On Mar 11, 2015
It seems impossible........... But i believe we 'll get there pretty soon... I believe in that dream.
I hail NIGERIA.

(1) (Reply)

What I Was Told About Gbayi(nkwa) / What Tribe Is This? / Bed Bug Fumigation And Eradication

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 13
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.