Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,780 members, 7,817,226 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 08:25 AM

What You Must Know About Ovarian Cysts - Health - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Health / What You Must Know About Ovarian Cysts (27561 Views)

Ovarian Cysts: Symptoms, Causes And Treatments / Home Remedies For Ovarian Cysts / All You Need To Know About Ovarian Cysts (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

What You Must Know About Ovarian Cysts by Vanije: 10:52pm On Mar 09, 2015
The ovaries are two small organs located on either side of the uterus in a woman’s body. They make hormones, including estrogen, which trigger menstruation. Every month, the ovaries release a tiny egg. The egg makes its way down the fallopian tube to potentially be fertilized. This cycle of egg release is called ovulation.

Cysts are fluid-filled sacs that can form in the ovaries. They are very common. They are particularly common during the childbearing years.

FACTORS THAT IMPROVE YOUR RISK OF OVARIAN CYST

Age : specifically women who have gone through menopause. Women over the age of 50 are at greater risk

Obesity

Smoking

Not having children or not breastfeeding (however, using birth control pills seems to lower the risk)

Taking fertility drugs (e.g Clomid)

Hormone replacement therapy

Family or personal history of ovarian cancer

**CAN OVARIAN CYST CAUSE BLEEDING?**

The symptoms of cysts vary from woman to woman. However the most important symptoms include:

Menstrual irregularities;

unexpected vaginal bleeding or pressure on the rectum or bladder.

Aching, pain, or pressure in the lower abdomen;

Discomfort during sexual activities or exercise;

Bloating

TYPES OF OVARAIN CYSTS

1 Follicle Cyst

During a woman’s menstrual cycle, an egg grows in a sac called a follicle. This sac is located inside the ovaries. In most cases, this follicle or sac breaks open and releases an egg. But if the follicle doesn’t break open, the fluid inside the follicle can form a cyst on the ovary.

2 Corpus Luteum Cysts

Follicle sacs typically dissolve after releasing an egg. But if the sac doesn’t dissolve and the opening of the follicle seals, additional fluid can develop inside the sac and this accumulation of fluid causes a cyst.

Other types of ovarian cysts include:

Dermoid cysts: sac-like growths on the ovaries that can contain hair, fat, and other tissue

Cystadenomas: non-cancerous growths that can develop on the outer surface of ovaries

Endometriomas: tissues that normally grow inside the uterus can develop outside the uterus and attach to the ovaries, resulting in a cyst

HOW DOES IT AFFECT FERTILITY?

While some ovarian cysts may be benign, it may affect/block fertility when it interferes with the normal process of ovulation(the process where egg is released for fertilization by the sperm).

CAN IT BE REMOVED WITHOUT SURGERY?

The most common way(s) of removing a cyst involves surgery options most of which involve conventional incisions or tearing up of the body. Some include:

laparoscopy

laparotomy

cystectomy

oophorectomy

TAKE A MINUTE TO SHARE THIS INFORMATION
http://www.trendyhealthworld.com/ovarian-cysts/

13 Likes 12 Shares

Re: What You Must Know About Ovarian Cysts by Cutehector(m): 10:58pm On Mar 09, 2015
Odiegwu

1 Like

Re: What You Must Know About Ovarian Cysts by Vanije: 11:36pm On Mar 09, 2015
Cutehector:
Odiegwu
Oria amagima my brother but information is power. smiley
Re: What You Must Know About Ovarian Cysts by borlarge(m): 9:14am On Mar 10, 2015
Re: What You Must Know About Ovarian Cysts by iwezor1(m): 9:14am On Mar 10, 2015
Reading comments,
Hmmm biology?
Sha its well
Re: What You Must Know About Ovarian Cysts by borlarge(m): 9:15am On Mar 10, 2015
Re: What You Must Know About Ovarian Cysts by Oildichotomy(m): 9:15am On Mar 10, 2015
This information should be taken seriously by our ladies and men alike.

Cancer is no-respecter of persons, Check when necessary for symptoms such as this!

Babies must be born grin- cysts shouldn't be a barrier!

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: What You Must Know About Ovarian Cysts by Nobody: 9:15am On Mar 10, 2015
I heard most girls who have painful periods probably have ovarian cysts.
Re: What You Must Know About Ovarian Cysts by hamaworld(m): 9:15am On Mar 10, 2015
Which one our mama piss get grin grin
Re: What You Must Know About Ovarian Cysts by dharay99: 9:16am On Mar 10, 2015
Not meant 4me ida way. angry angry
Re: What You Must Know About Ovarian Cysts by 15Sirdeen(m): 9:16am On Mar 10, 2015
ok
Re: What You Must Know About Ovarian Cysts by free2ryhme: 9:17am On Mar 10, 2015
Re: What You Must Know About Ovarian Cysts by smakati(m): 9:17am On Mar 10, 2015
Just doing this for the fun of it
Re: What You Must Know About Ovarian Cysts by bro4u: 9:18am On Mar 10, 2015
Females only....
Re: What You Must Know About Ovarian Cysts by Isryl02(m): 9:18am On Mar 10, 2015
Ok o
Re: What You Must Know About Ovarian Cysts by Wuuworld(m): 9:18am On Mar 10, 2015
E speaky lekwa maka confusion.....e likely post ahah,e ga like yah......................
Re: What You Must Know About Ovarian Cysts by ladyju(f): 9:18am On Mar 10, 2015
I'm not obese. I've had kids. I'm still young.no history of it in my family yet I did the surgery two weeks ago.

10 Likes

Re: What You Must Know About Ovarian Cysts by Agent8706(m): 9:20am On Mar 10, 2015
Women wahala plenty abeg! They say to be a man is not easy but these days I wonder if being a women is anything easier! From the pain of seeing their period to that of child-bearing and then childbirth until they clock menoplay abi na menopause...... now its Ovarian something! Kudos to all the ladies in the house abeg, I respect all of you, its not easy being a woman abeg!

16 Likes 3 Shares

Re: What You Must Know About Ovarian Cysts by Coldfeet(f): 9:22am On Mar 10, 2015
Also known as pcos!

everywoman is at risk of it but some due to lifestyle and genetics are more prone to pcos! Sadly its Effects are irreversible! My chin beards are still there grin though I've giving birth and my periods are reguler.

But once upon a time e no easy at all! Periods were doing mini mini mani mo with me every month cry

Most women don't even know they have pcos .

2 Likes

Re: What You Must Know About Ovarian Cysts by Glowyshoe: 9:23am On Mar 10, 2015
Women have plenty issues...we just have to stay strong

ff on IG: @glowyshoe

1 Like

Re: What You Must Know About Ovarian Cysts by poke(m): 9:23am On Mar 10, 2015
HMMMMMMMMM
BIOLOGY SHAI
Re: What You Must Know About Ovarian Cysts by Warlord3000(m): 9:25am On Mar 10, 2015
Quite enlightening
Re: What You Must Know About Ovarian Cysts by Zaikon(m): 9:26am On Mar 10, 2015
Gud infor. But kedi's Gynapharm Capsul/colon cleanser wil sure Help.

1 Like

Re: What You Must Know About Ovarian Cysts by angrybird007: 9:26am On Mar 10, 2015
Aa
Re: What You Must Know About Ovarian Cysts by Nobody: 9:26am On Mar 10, 2015
Thank you for such an enlightening article

2 Likes

Re: What You Must Know About Ovarian Cysts by Judeoxide(m): 9:27am On Mar 10, 2015
Nna mehn

Kai wahala to much abeg
Re: What You Must Know About Ovarian Cysts by pweetixandy: 9:28am On Mar 10, 2015
God help us
Re: What You Must Know About Ovarian Cysts by Nobody: 9:29am On Mar 10, 2015
undecided

Checks for penile cyst.

'Zero items found'

Leaves thread.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

How To Gain Weight? / A Bro Is In Need Of Advice On How To Make His Teeths White / 25% Of Coronavirus Carriers Don't Show Symptoms But Can Still Spread Virus

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 19
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.